last of us 2 had many walking dead easter eggs (MINOR SPOILERS)

edited July 2020 in General Chat

ellie losing a finger just like clem & killing off joel was like killing off lee & kenny they were all loved

Comments

• Um, I don't see anything similar. Kenny's death in A New Frontier is close Joel's death but the difference is that Kenny at least died in-character. Joel just died out-of-character

• How was Joel's Death out of Character?

AronDracula posted: »

Um, I don't see anything similar. Kenny's death in A New Frontier is close Joel's death but the difference is that Kenny at least died in-character. Joel just died out-of-character

• Also Hjah, Ellie lost 2 fingers in a fight, not just 1 bc a Door Slammed on it.

• He went into a room full of strangers who were fully clothed and armed and he is like "Sup, my name is Joel and you guys seem pretty nice so I won't hold any weapons with me". This is not the Joel I know because we spent the entire first game seeing how much trouble he had trusting people.

patrickrc95 posted: »

How was Joel's Death out of Character?

• i know but i mean it still is a similarity

Also Hjah, Ellie lost 2 fingers in a fight, not just 1 bc a Door Slammed on it.

• He became soft and thought all the Fireflies were dead and no one would be coming back for him it made sense you even see more of that later in game,i don't think his death was out of character honestly

He went into a room full of strangers who were fully clothed and armed and he is like "Sup, my name is Joel and you guys seem pretty nice so

• edited August 2020

I'm not buying this shit. Just because you kill a leader of a group, doesn't mean every remaining member of the group would just move on with their lives like nothing happened. Did you forget that the hunters from Pittsburg did NOT give up following Joel and Ellie until the power plant?

You ever heard of Stranger Danger? You should never give your name to a stranger you just met for a few seconds, whether it's fiction or reality. I discussed this in my second part of my review on this game, it would be an honor if you would check it out:

iFoRias posted: »

He became soft and thought all the Fireflies were dead and no one would be coming back for him it made sense you even see more of that later in game,i don't think his death was out of character honestly

• But it's not totally out of the realm of possibility for his character.

He went into a room full of strangers who were fully clothed and armed and he is like "Sup, my name is Joel and you guys seem pretty nice so

• There is nothing similar between people inside the community and the ones from the outside.

But it's not totally out of the realm of possibility for his character.

• Imagine going 2 seconds without complaining about the last of us 2

bUt ThE pAcInG!

Poogers555 posted: »

Imagine going 2 seconds without complaining about the last of us 2

• I thought this was about there apparently being Clementine's house again.

@AronDracula Um, I don't see anything similar. Kenny's death in A New Frontier is close Joel's death but the difference is that Kenny at least died in-character. Joel just died out-of-character

You're right, should've said Sarah like they originally intended. Mind you, I don't think any of us would have anything to say beyond sniffles at best in those final moments.

• Imagine going 2 seconds without hyping The Wolf Among Us Season 2 :smile:

Poogers555 posted: »

Imagine going 2 seconds without complaining about the last of us 2

• edited August 2020

edited to reply

• edited August 2020

This is not the Joel I know because we spent the entire first game seeing how much trouble he had trusting people.

We also saw how closed off and emotionally isolated he kept himself from other people in the first game. But, by the end of it, he's a much more talkative person to Ellie (as she managed to open him up and convince him that the whole world isn't a bleak, selfish place) and he goes off to live in his brother's town who he's made amends with. He jokes around, helps out other people in a large community, etc.
    That alone shows that Joel is capable of growth as a character. (and the majority of the events of the first game happen over the course of a year)

Did you forget that the hunters from Pittsburgh did NOT give up following Joel and Ellie until the power plant?

Well, not really until the power plant. (I don't think it was ever confirmed whether the hydro dam invaders were Pittsburgh people or just your average bloodthirsty raiders.)

And yes, there were also David's people who tracked Ellie and Joel throughout Winter.
    But, they gave the slip to the Pittsburgh Hunters and David's Cannibals only after a few months at most.

With Abby's group, we're talking 4 years worth of a grudge. That's a damn long time, especially for a handful of people to go after one man.

It's not unlikely to think that Joel would have assumed that anyone who would want to get revenge for the hospital incident would have already followed him, or didn't care enough to try.

There is nothing similar between people inside the community and the ones from the outside.

Speaking of that, and Stranger Danger, it's heavily implied that the residents at Jackson have experienced a life of relative peace for about 4 years, with only mild annoyances by roaming Infected. Any notes we can find from their lookout logs or other collectibles show that any people they come across are non-hostile and either need help and supplies or refuge from the elements/any infected. It's a bit of a generalization to say that anyone from outside of Jackson is nothing like people from the inside. (We just know that the Seattle WLF are very territorial like the Pittsburgh Hunters were -- though it doesn't help that they're in the middle of a civil war).

I recently found this excerpt from a collectible near the middle of the game that's a letter to someone unsure if they want to join Jackson or not. They explain that their sons who were "acting like the people we were running away from" found a new purpose and routine in life that kept them from becoming a murderous maniac.

If you're not convinced by written, optional collectibles then I ask: in any of the flashback scenes (or even the opening sections around Jackson) do we encounter any human enemies at all? No. Only infected.
    That's a conscious decision that was made to show us that either a) there's not many humans out roaming near Jackson trying to murder or steal from someone else; b) humanity has reached a much closer point to extinction than we last saw them or c) a combination of the two.

All that is enough evidence for me to show that Joel can and has gone softer than how he was in the first game.

In relation to the thread itself -- no, I don't think the things listed in the OP are Easter eggs. Just some similarities that happened.

But I'm sure a lot of you would love to see this cool TWD reference someone found in TLOUptII. You've clearly got Gavin Hammon (Kenny) and Melissa Hutchison (Clem) talking about boats of all things. That's got to be some intentional easter egg, or at at the very least one real big coincidence.

• Damnit looks like Im done for.

Imagine going 2 seconds without hyping The Wolf Among Us Season 2

• But I'm sure a lot of you would love to see this cool TWD reference someone found in TLOUptII. You've clearly got Gavin Hammon (Kenny) and Melissa Hutchison (Clem) talking about boats of all things. That's got to be some intentional easter egg, or at at the very least one real big coincidence.

Ok, I'll admit. This one blew my mind. A surprise for sure. But a welcome one. I think it was intentional, it's not the first time they referenced TWD. Because Clementine's house makes a cameo in the first game, in Bill's town.

AChicken posted: »

This is not the Joel I know because we spent the entire first game seeing how much trouble he had trusting people. We also saw how c

• Twd bad tlou good

• If I was Joel, then I wouldn't go back to Jackson. Because my brother is an ex-firefly. But I'm not Joel.

I'm not buying this shit. Just because you kill a leader of a group, doesn't mean every remaining member of the group would just move on wit

• What has Tommy being an ex-firefly got to do with anything?

Ghetsis posted: »

If I was Joel, then I wouldn't go back to Jackson. Because my brother is an ex-firefly. But I'm not Joel.

• I guess that Tommy might give him hell for what he did or at least have contacts from those days who'd come looking for Joel.

What has Tommy being an ex-firefly got to do with anything?

• Well, Tommy did give up hope for the cure and I think the only Firefly who was friends with him was Eugene.

DabigRG posted: »

I guess that Tommy might give him hell for what he did or at least have contacts from those days who'd come looking for Joel.

• Yeah, but I presume Joel didn't know the latter one.

Well, Tommy did give up hope for the cure and I think the only Firefly who was friends with him was Eugene.

• Joel deserved it. Fight me

• edited September 2020

I don't care if he deserved it or not. There is a difference between a character and a person.

Joel deserved it. Fight me

• It's called character development. In Part 1 - Joel was an asshole. Acted shitty towards everyone - Tess, Ellie, Bill, Tommy, Marlene. Eventually Joel let his guard down and acted nice towards Ellie and Tommy both. In Part 2 - Joel finally got to settle down and live in peace - surrounded by people who loved him. We saw this with the flowers outside his home. A lot of people seem to forget that Joel was damn near 60 yrs old. Not many people in Last of Us got to live that long. Joel wasn't cut down in his prime. He lived longer than almost everyone in the apocalypse. He had a good run

I don't care if he deserved it or not. There is a difference between a character and a person.

• Yeah, living in a very peaceful place definitely makes him weaker when it comes to survival instincts and forget what he has been through. Is everyone forgetting that they are still a zombie apocalypse where the infected were never the only problem in this world? I'm tired of hearing this poor useless excuse. This story already disproved its focus on realism since it has a pregnant woman who risked her own baby by going in frontlines where she or her child could have easily died. If that was intentional, then Joel deserved a better send off than being killed like crap.

It's called character development. In Part 1 - Joel was an asshole. Acted shitty towards everyone - Tess, Ellie, Bill, Tommy, Marlene. Event

• Bro, you saw Joel eyeing everybody he didn't let his guard down around those people - not completely. He's not stupid - Abby just acted faster. It's unrealistic to believe a man in his late 50's to early 60's who hadn't seen serious action in 5 years just take out 10 people like Rambo. Even if Joel attacked first - there was no way he was gonna beat Abby's group. They had the numbers and the firepower. Its not like Joel could say 'nope' and leave the cabin. It was surrounded by a horde.

Yeah, living in a very peaceful place definitely makes him weaker when it comes to survival instincts and forget what he has been through. I

• Bruh, did you drink cactus juice or something? Joel was literally in the middle of the room (Not near his brother no less) full of strangers who didn't look harmless at all, carrying no weapons whatsoever, giving his name to people he never met before and acting very surprised that these guys have heard of him. How does that look like he didn't let his guard down?

In fact, where the hell did he and Tommy leave their weapons? You don't see them hanging by the horses or grabbed by one of Abby's friends or them being left on the floor. So what happened to their guns? The only answer for this shit is Naughty Dog's laziness.

Its not like Joel could say 'nope' and leave the cabin. It was surrounded by a horde.

Yeah, sure. Last time I checked, Owen and Mel killed the rest of the infected with molotovs. They were never surrounded by them. Ellie doesn't even encounter any runners on her way to the mansion. The runners obviously came out of nowhere because the plot demanded it.

It's unrealistic to believe a man in his late 50's to early 60's who hadn't seen serious action in 5 years just take out 10 people like Rambo.

What did I just say? You say it's unrealistic for an old man to defend himself from a large group, yet you are ok with a pregnant woman who not just put her own fucking baby at risk by going in frontlines but also being capable of climbing a rope and upper floors with a newborn on her belly. That type of writing already disproves everyone who says the story is meant to be realistic and there is no one who can convince me otherwise.

Bro, you saw Joel eyeing everybody he didn't let his guard down around those people - not completely. He's not stupid - Abby just acted fast

• edited September 2020

disproved its focus on realism since it has a pregnant woman who risked her own baby by going in frontlines where she or her child could have easily died

On that point, yes it's a dumb and reckless decision and the game literally agrees with you on that.
    Illogical, yes. Unrealistic, no.

Abby's section of the game has a bunch of evidence that something is wrong in the WLF, and what we see is a faction slowly coming apart.
    Isaac is losing control of Seattle to the Scars and is throwing one last ditch, crazy effort to attack Scar Island just to keep that power:

• So, people are being shifted to other bases with very little knowledge as to why.
    • The hospital gets evacuated and dismantled to get as many medical supplies as possible for the attack.
    • They literally allow and sign off pregnant women like Mel to go out in combat areas just because of their medical/tactical experience. (Abby even seems concerned the first time she meets up with Mel at the Stadium saying "is Owen going to be okay with this?")
    • That conversation between the not-Kenny and not-Clementine NPCs specifically references rounding up as many boats as possible, since they need it to get all their troops to the island.

It's the same thing I've seen with regards to "ugh why did Dina keep her child a secret that's so dumb". Yes it is, and the game agrees with you (Ellie mumbles that's it was stupid to come along and help after she finds out about the pregnancy). It's to show that people can be real dumb sometimes, whether it's because they are a crazed ruler who will sacrifice anyone to get what they want (Isaac) or because of a strong loyalty/bond to someone else (Ellie to Dina).
    Have you ever made a decision that while it could help someone else, it might also reflect negatively on yourself?

Yeah, living in a very peaceful place definitely makes him weaker when it comes to survival instincts and forget what he has been through. I

• Why do keep bringing up Mel? I'm talking about Joel. Don't pull the 'relastic' card on me either. It's a game about zombies lol

Bruh, did you drink cactus juice or something? Joel was literally in the middle of the room (Not near his brother no less) full of strangers

• Eh, more or less.

A lot of people seem to forget that Joel was damn near 60 yrs old. Not many people in Last of Us got to live that long. Joel wasn't cut down in his prime. He lived longer than almost everyone in the apocalypse. He had a good run

Oh, hi Kenny.

@AronDracula In fact, where the hell did he and Tommy leave their weapons? You don't see them hanging by the horses or grabbed by one of Abby's friends or them being left on the floor. So what happened to their guns? The only answer for this shit is Naughty Dog's laziness.

Good question. I'd assume they were on the horses.

Yeah, sure. Last time I checked, Owen and Mel killed the rest of the infected with molotovs. They were never surrounded by them.

Was that really all of them? I just assumed they'd keep burning most of them and the rest would just keep pounding on the gate until they get board or whatever.

Ellie doesn't even encounter any runners on her way to the mansion.

That's an even better question.

The runners obviously came out of nowhere because the plot demanded it.

I was just about to bring up that with the realism crack, given how Abby went from dealing a few scattered across the area to suddenly having dozens barreling down on her, Joel, and Tommy(even assuming it was those two they were originally after).
    Also, the moose.

you are ok with a pregnant woman who not just put her own fucking baby at risk by going in frontlines but also being capable of climbing a rope and upper floors with a newborn on her belly.

Say what now?

@AChicken On that point, yes it's a dumb and reckless decision and the game literally agrees with you on that.
    Illogical, yes. Unrealistic, no.
    (Abby even seems concerned the first time she meets up with Mel at the Stadium saying "is Owen going to be okay with this?")
    It's the same thing I've seen with regards to "ugh why did Dina keep her child a secret that's so dumb". Yes it is, and the game agrees with you (Ellie mumbles that's it was stupid to come along and help after she finds out about the pregnancy). It's to show that people can be real dumb sometimes, whether it's because they are a crazed ruler who will sacrifice anyone to get what they want (Isaac) or because of a strong loyalty/bond to someone else (Ellie to Dina).
    Have you ever made a decision that while it could help someone else, it might also reflect negatively on yourself?

Yeah, it was clearly supposed to be Mel trying to [unnecessarily(?)] patch the wound with Abby over personal concern. That and they didn't expect to be ambushed on the way to wherever.
    That it might've been a direct parallel to Dina is arguably better.

Abby's section of the game has a bunch of evidence that something is wrong in the WLF, and what we see is a faction slowly coming apart.
    Isaac is losing control of Seattle to the Scars and is throwing one last ditch, crazy effort to attack Scar Island just to keep that power:

So, people are being shifted to other bases with very little knowledge as to why.
    The hospital gets evacuated and dismantled to get as many medical supplies as possible for the attack.
    They literally allow and sign off pregnant women like Mel to go out in combat areas just because of their medical/tactical experience.
    That conversation between the not-Kenny and not-Clementine NPCs specifically references rounding up as many boats as possible, since they need it to get all their troops to the island.

Truth be told regardless of my still waking up, I didn't think of that.

Joel deserved it. Fight me

Sign in to comment in this discussion.