SAM AND MAX REMASTERED

edited November 2020 in General Chat

SAM AND MAX REMASTERED: Announced for Switch, Steam, GOG.
50% off if you already own it on Steam. GOG, or Telltale.

Comments

• https://www.vice.com/en/article/akdgke/why-a-group-of-ex-telltale-developers-are-bringing-back-sam-and-max

New details here:

They got LCG Telltale to give them permission to use most recent Telltale Tool.

They recast Boscos voice actor since the old voice actor was white

• edited November 2020

Wow that looks like a good, fine remaster! The lighting looks very well done, and the textures look crisp!
    I'm excited, might pick this up next month.

EDIT: The pricing is mouth-watering. A not-too-steep 20$ for the season, or just 10$ on Steam if you already own the original. That's a good PR move!

• Holy shit I thought they had forgotten about that game

• Holy shit those new graphics are TASTY. Especially this shot sticks out to me.
    ![]
    lOOK AT THAT! That's gorgeous! Really excited for this. I've been a sam and max fan for a long ass time even though I never got the chance to play the telltale games. Nows my chance!

• Please God do an Xbox port, I know some people who would love to see it on the Xbox, including myself.

• A little disappointing that they recasted Bosco, but I get it, it's 2020 and all. Apart from that everything about this looks great. Really excited for it.

• Looks like an entirely different game, man. I wish they port this to Xbox in the near future, I'd be willing to pay for it. It looks good.

• Yeah I’m glad they recognize that it’s an old game, I’m gonna pre order tonight with the 50% off. Glad to consoom anything Telltale-related.

AChicken posted: »

Wow that looks like a good, fine remaster! The lighting looks very well done, and the textures look crisp! I'm excited, might pick this up

• I think the reasoning behind no xbox/PS4 is because of how we’re in between generations as we speak, and how the Telltale Tool hasn’t been formatted for the new generation yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if LCG/SkunkApe/Gearbox are all working together on the tool. TWAU rereleasing on series X and PS5 seems like a given.

Please God do an Xbox port, I know some people who would love to see it on the Xbox, including myself.

• Gearbox are all working together

Like, Borderlands Gearbox? Why them? Or they're working with them how?

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

I think the reasoning behind no xbox/PS4 is because of how we’re in between generations as we speak, and how the Telltale Tool hasn’t been f

• I honestly never thought I'd see the Telltale Tool again lmao.

• The Steam database for Tales is still getting actual updates to the game's database, meaning someone is messing around with the actual build of the game, and its not just general Steam maintenance. (As well as updating the game to match the new Steam Library UI which all other off the shelve Telltale games did not get updated.) This has been happening for like 8-ish months now so its kinda crazy we still dont know what it is.

I really hope New Telltale is involved with it though. Whatever it ends up being. Its nice seeing their little partnership for bringing Sam and Max back. It looks like Gearbox is probably who is updating Tales, so I hope they didnt just ignore Telltale.

(I mean assuming they cant because the Tool needs people who know how to use it, but it is Gearbox who unfortunately dont seem to care that much about reaching out as much as I wish they would.)

Gearbox are all working together Like, Borderlands Gearbox? Why them? Or they're working with them how?

• I like how TWD Collection and Definitive Edition are abominations of art direction while Shadows Edition and S&MR have some actual effort in the art direction

• edited November 2020

As in working together to port telltale tool to PS5/Series X. This is assuming TFTB is getting a rerelease and Gearbox has contracted people who know how to work the Tool.

It would actually make a ton of sense as to why TFTB rerelease news has been so quiet: because they have to port Telltale Tool to next gen... Hmmmmmm....

Gearbox are all working together Like, Borderlands Gearbox? Why them? Or they're working with them how?

• Really need that graphic black in RGX Showdown for full immersion

Poogers555 posted: »

I like how TWD Collection and Definitive Edition are abominations of art direction while Shadows Edition and S&MR have some actual effort in the art direction

• edited November 2020

Guys I saw this during my work break and almost started crying. It looks AMAZING, and it looks like they'll be doing this for all 3 seasons!! This is straight up the best news I have heard all year. Sam & Max are back baby!

• November became the redemption month and fucked up 2020 bingo

Guys I saw this during my work break and almost started crying. It looks AMAZING, and it looks like they'll be doing this for all 3 seasons!! This is straight up the best news I have heard all year. Sam & Max are back baby!

• LOL

shoutouts to whoever on the telltale subreddit noticed this

• OOF

LOL shoutouts to whoever on the telltale subreddit noticed this

• im not going to lie its really funny

lupinb0y posted: »

OOF

• Sam & Max and The Wolf Among Us after 7 years without a new game but somehow after Telltale shuts down are the only Telltale IPs getting a new game

• There's so many things I remember about that season, and I want to see what they did to spruce them up!

And of course, I want to see if they have a Warp Drive option. ;)

• I'd buy it if they included a voice option to make the voices of Sam and Max sound more, well... authentic. I still haven't gotten used to the Telltale voices and don't know why nothing has been done to bring the original Hit The Road voice actors back.

Speaking of, I've made a petition! Anyone who wants Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson to be a voice option in this remaster, this is for you!
    http://chng.it/hZfRdg6V

• violin begins to play

:'(
    Too soon.

LOL shoutouts to whoever on the telltale subreddit noticed this

• edited November 2020

A team of under 10 people were able to bring Rewind back into the most recent build of the Telltale engine, when old Telltale kept saying they couldn’t. Wow.

I will be sure to datamine this when it comes out. I pre ordered it and really want to see what build of the Tool it uses. I’m assuming it’s using a 2016-17 build of the Tool and not the TWD TFS one. (My guess is the build used on Batman: The Enemy Within, and The Walking Dead Collection)

EDIT.) It’s not called “Rewind” but yeah it’s the same thing as Rewind.

• Honestly have no idea why Telltale became anti re-wind. Im not doubting that it was a feature that wasnt super commonly used but removing it completely really made no sense.

(I cant remember if they straight up said they "couldnt do it" or it was just removed because it wasnt used that often, but I really cant imagine it was that hard of a feature to implement considering it was basically just allowing the player to have access to starting the game chapters just like the devs could. I almost wonder if it was cut because Telltale was getting so focused on pushing things out as soon as possible they didnt want to wait for rewind to get done, as it did still need UI and art design, which doesnt seem like a lot but I'm sure it still needs to go through some sort of review process thus taking up time.)

A team of under 10 people were able to bring Rewind back into the most recent build of the Telltale engine, when old Telltale kept saying th

• edited November 2020

The fact that apparently they could fix up the Telltale Tool and manage to improve timing on some jokes is a very bold and impressive statement to make. (I haven't played the original so I wouldn't know if timing was bad back then, but) even now as I'm playing through GOTG, I've seen quite a few awkward moments where a facial expression changes a second too late, or a line getting cut off for comedic effect just isn't all that smooth. The Tool just has a hard time doing many different things one-after-the-other.
    If they can somehow get the engine to properly and entertainingly time dialogue correctly and other comedic cues, then that'll be amazing to see and renewed hope that the Telltale Tool isn't such an awful system as we've experienced.

Oh, yeah, and that Rewind news is FANTASTIC. Not that this game has choices to go back on, but the news alone that it definitely is and has been possible even after Batman's release just makes me feel good.

A team of under 10 people were able to bring Rewind back into the most recent build of the Telltale engine, when old Telltale kept saying th

• Re: Rewind

Re: What Version of the Tool they used

• The "not rewind" sounds like how it worked for older Telltale games, so thats good. I guess it isnt really rewind as there aren't any choices but seems like it will work the same way as before.

Very interesting to know this is technically going to be the most up to date version of the Telltale Tool.

Re: Rewind Re: What Version of the Tool they used

• edited November 2020

Got to keep in mind pre-walking dead telltale had no decision tree or anything to properly remember choices, so its much easier to figure out in a completely linear episode. (the only thing that carried over was the hood ornaments you would unlock for the desoto throughout season 2) They talked in the past how rewind could easily bust decisions up, and how it was expensive to manage based on how little people used it.

• Wonder if this will still have the ability to skip lines like I remember Sam & Max and Monkey Island having, because later Telltale games never allowed that.

• I think they said they couldn't do it anymore because it was too hard to code or some shit yet these guys were able to do it,unbelievable.

Honestly have no idea why Telltale became anti re-wind. Im not doubting that it was a feature that wasnt super commonly used but removing it

• The reasoning behind cutting rewind was because of how much resources it took to nail down the issues rewind caused, as we all know how hectic their development scheduling was, I think it was best to axe a feature that caused a number of bugs, despite how good the feature was. Player usage played into it too, but the other reason was it caused too many bugs, so the decision was made to cut it

Honestly have no idea why Telltale became anti re-wind. Im not doubting that it was a feature that wasnt super commonly used but removing it

• edited November 2020

I mean, Sam & Max isn't heavily branched like other Telltale games, so implementing rewind isn't of much consequence. As I explained in a comment to Poogers, they've explained it was a drain on resources because how many bugs popped up from the rewind feature, don't believe they ever said it was too hard to code, it was too expensive to pour resources into when their development cycle was as hectic as it was.

Forgot to mention that there just wasn't a substantial amount of players utilising the feature, the concept of rewind is great, but with the Telltale Tool being a mess of an engine, actually pulling off rewind without any repercussions was way too much hassle and costly

iFoRias posted: »

I think they said they couldn't do it anymore because it was too hard to code or some shit yet these guys were able to do it,unbelievable.

• I died when I saw the trailer. Dan Connors seemed to allude in the escapist games showcase that it's not out of the realm of possibility for new things as well in the future, depending on how this all does.

• edited November 2020

Forgot to mention that there just wasn't a substantial amount of players utilising the feature,

Yeah and literally no one used the crowd Play feature and they still added it in all their games after removing Rewind i don't believe it.

I mean, Sam & Max isn't heavily branched like other Telltale games, so implementing rewind isn't of much consequence. As I explained in

• edited November 2020

Alright? Like why does that matter? :joy: Crowd Play is a completely different can of worms mate, they ended up scrapping it too. You don't need to believe it but that's the reality of the situation, there's genuinely no reason for a lie to be told about it, they've given the reason, whether or not you like that is on you :joy:

And a difference here is with Crowd Play, it just didn't work, it had problems of its own, but not problems that altered gameplay, Rewind on the other hand did, be bitter about Rewind being dropped if you want to, but with the Telltale Tool it did more harm to a playthrough than Crowd Play ever did

iFoRias posted: »

Forgot to mention that there just wasn't a substantial amount of players utilising the feature, Yeah and literally no one used the crowd Play feature and they still added it in all their games after removing Rewind i don't believe it.

• I always do things differently from normal people, so this might not apply to anyone but me, but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone.

I purchased Sam & Max Save The World (Season One) direct from Telltale, way back when that was the only Sam & Max they had. I was interested in buying the remastered version from Skunkape Games, but they were still working out the kinks in giving a 50% discount to Telltale direct purchasers.

Anyway, they said they figured it out, and I could get 50% off from Steam or GOG after visiting their site and allowing them to verify my Telltale purchase. That went smoothly, and I chose GOG. They handle that by giving me a link that applies a code to my GOG account, which gives me the original season for free on that site. This is supposed to trigger GOG's logic to allow me to purchase the remastered version at half price. They say to give it a couple hours before trying.

I gave it a few days instead, but it still showed full price to me.

Today is Black Friday, and I decided to buy a few other things there on sale. While I was there, I tried adding the Remastered season to my cart to see what it would do. When I did, I got the 50% off.

So, the upshot is, if you're waiting for the price to reflect your 50% on the GOG site, just add it to your cart, and it will.

• Really looking forward to playing this bad boy, already pre-ordered it. It will actually be my first time playing 5 of the 6 episodes. i’ve never played past episode 1.

• Anyone know if the 50% off deal for owners of the original season is a long-term thing, or just for pre-release? Can't find any info on whether this is a permanent deal or something to entice pre-orders.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.