Sam And Max Save The World Remastered - Release Day / Impressions Thread

edited December 2020 in General Chat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440440/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sam-and-max-save-the-world-switch/

Game releases at 1 PM Eastern Time on Steam, no pre loading. It's out now on Nintendo Switch in some regions.

Talk about your impressions on the new visuals, performance, and so on. This will be my first time playing episodes 2-6 so I'll talk about it here maybe.

In other news, it looks like they added Steam achievements to the remaster.

Comments

• edited December 2020

I was able to download the game an hour early by typing "steam://install/1440440" into web browser

• whoa dude how'd ya figure that one out?

this picture is so big what the hell

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

I was able to download the game an hour early by typing "steam://install/1440440" into web browser

• edited December 2020

Damn good remaster! The lighting, new models, and the re-worked timing on some of the jokes make this absolutely worth picking up for anyone new to the series or just wants a revisit. Only finished episode 1, but since the rest of the season is much more funny and imaginative it can only get better from here!

Can I gush about the presentation a little on the menus cause seeing all the episodes lined up with fancy comic book art and descriptions makes me so happy. They even nailed the covers looking identical to the single print Purcell comics. Good stuff!

• Really enjoying it so far. The new Bosco voice actor is good, though I can't tell if it's just me being aware it's a new VA, whatever they used to record or if dubbing over someone else's line has lead them noticeably to stick out a bit.

• edited December 2020

higher audio quality with less compression compared to rest of the cast

dojo32161 posted: »

Really enjoying it so far. The new Bosco voice actor is good, though I can't tell if it's just me being aware it's a new VA, whatever they used to record or if dubbing over someone else's line has lead them noticeably to stick out a bit.

• That was my main worry with recasting him. It's probably good, but the advancements in audio quality could really stick out.
    Minor issue though.

higher audio quality with less compression compared to rest of the cast

• Hey, a long time Sam and Max fan here who wants to say his own opinion about the remaster after finishing playing this season: It. Was. Fantastic!

Such a huge improvement from the original: the new models, the scenes, the lightning, everything about it is perfect! The only thing I can nitpick is Bosco's new voice. I unno, I think I was more attached to his old voice and his new voice just doesn't feel like Bosco but I suppose I will get used to it in time.

Either way, I loved replaying this game with new graphics, I really hope Skunkape Games will also remaster Beyond Time and Space and the Devil's Playhouse, it would be a waste for them not to remaster those games too! Thank you Skunkape Games for all of your hard work!

• This is happening in less than a minute

• edited December 2020

Reddit Q&A confirmed that Season 2 is in the works right now, and how well Season 1 does for them will determine how more ambitious they can get with it and Devil's Playhouse. Please buy the OST if you're picking it up. Its only an extra 10 bucks (8.50 with the game) and it comes with 3 hrs of good jazzy tunes.

• I missed the AMA! I was going to ask them a question about the Hit the Road voices... but I'm going to save my question for next time they have one.

• edited December 2020

I'm three episodes in and in the middle of a wonderful nostalgia trip. This is seriously bringing me a lot of joy.

I'm also really bummed to see the outrage building on Steam forums about a few insignificant line changes and the way Skunkape and Emily Morganti are being attacked. I wonder where on the internet would be a non-toxic place to talk about Sam and Max - because Steam isn't it.

• Steam forums are honestly incredible cesspools for any game.

I'm three episodes in and in the middle of a wonderful nostalgia trip. This is seriously bringing me a lot of joy. I'm also really bummed

• edited December 2020

Gotta be careful discussing this on here but I know the regulars here are chill so I don't think anything bad will happen.

I'm really debating refunding. I don't want to screw over the devs who have brought me lots of joy over the past years since I've played every Telltale episode since 2011 but I don't really have the motivation to finish this one out.

It just doesn't sit right with me that they removed around 20-30 of the lines. Lots of which I found funniest when I first watched the series on Youtube. The Bosco VA isn't a deal breaker but I really liked the old one better... the new game feels like a downgrade.

• edited December 2020

What are some of the lines removed/changed? I’ve only seen one being talked about that is a Bosco line being different but in the ama they said it was a mistake in the script and it would be fixed.

Gotta be careful discussing this on here but I know the regulars here are chill so I don't think anything bad will happen. I'm really deb

• Copy and pasted from steam forums

Episode 1

Original dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room of militant college students in no time, guaranteed.

New dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room in no time, guaranteed.

Episode 2

Original dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like Skinheads, but ten times worse!

New dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like those horrible hairless cats, but ten times worse!

They also changed the license plate of that car parked next to the DeSoto

Original:
    DRG DLR (drug dealer)

New:
    RMS DLR (arms dealer, I guess?)

And, in the other episodes, when you click on some objects, Max still has the old voice from episode 1 (unlike the original).

Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"

Episode 4:

I didn't notice any change in the dialogue so far, but
    the time estimate for the missile to hit Krypton does not show up (might be a bug).

Episode 5:

They changed one of Bob's line

Original dialogue:

Take our complimentary goggles designed for special-needs children so that the little ones can play along.

New Dialogue:

Take our complimentary wide-fit goggles designed for playing while bicycling or enjoying full-contact sports!

Original dialogue:

It's 'cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or an hot young fifteen-year- old girl curious about the adult world and willing to experiment.

New Dialogue:

It's cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or a troll... But we've got enough trolls.

Original dialogue:

Half-elf, foo'!

New dialogue:

Half- elf, troll!

Episode 6:

Original dialogue:

Max: A hundred trillion?! You crazy, foo'!

Bosco: Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the foo'?

New dialogue:

Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the crazy one?

Him saying "crazy" doesn't make sense, since Max called him a "fool".

They also removed a lot of dialogue, such as:

1-"Why the sex change"

Sam: Mind telling us how you came to be a woman?

Max: Did you use lasers, or just do it the old-fashioned way?

Bosco: Are you sassin' me? Boy I'll whup your behind so hard you won't be able to see straight!

Max: But I don't see out of my behind.

Bosco: You will after I get through with you!

2- "How's life as a woman?"

Sam: So how are those BoscoTech breasts holdin' up?

Bosco: Oh, these are all natural, honey.

Max: I'm not gonna lie, I like 'em bosomy.

Bosco: Oh, Max, you take after your father.

Max: Okay, you just crossed the line, pal!

Sam: Easy Max, theoretically, we have even more disturbed people to worry about right now.

Poogers555 posted: »

What are some of the lines removed/changed? I’ve only seen one being talked about that is a Bosco line being different but in the ama they said it was a mistake in the script and it would be fixed.

• edited December 2020

Eh, do what you want. If you didn't get the slightly-raunchier game you were expecting with this remake, then that's a valid reason to refund.

As someone who hasn't played the series, all that cut dialogue is definitely gonna fly over my head and I wont even know it's missing, and I'm sure that the stuff they changed or still kept is still going to be humorous once I hear it for myself.
    Yeah, it is strange and unfortunate that a game that was supposed to be the "definitive version" of this old point-and-click isn't, but I get why they may have had to remove some references/stereotypes. They don't want bad PR. And the storm even one annoyed person could rile up would not spell good news for them, or the angry mob on the internet.

Copy and pasted from steam forums Episode 1 Original dialogue: It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a

• Eh I don’t really find those changes to be that bad. Def not a deal breaker or anything.

Personally I don’t really think they should’ve changed it but in the grand scheme of things it barely matters. I’d be more concerned if it wasn’t the original people making these changes, but they are so if they want to go back and change something they want to change they can go ahead and do so.

Copy and pasted from steam forums Episode 1 Original dialogue: It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a

• If it isn't what you expected, feel free to ask for a refund, hope that doesn't come across as snarky, but if it's not for you, then it isn't for you.

You could bring it up through an email to their support, just so you can express your thoughts, who knows, they may go back and return those lines of dialogue, the game itself may be out but they can still update and so on.

I totally get where you are coming from with it being unusual that lines of dialogue being removed/trimmed, it would bother me too. But yeah if you like send them an email explaining your thoughts and it could push them to take action and bring those lines of dialogue back

Gotta be careful discussing this on here but I know the regulars here are chill so I don't think anything bad will happen. I'm really deb

• yeah i feel that. for me i’m just debating it in my head since steam refunds are a moral issue. they cause devs to lose money.

If it isn't what you expected, feel free to ask for a refund, hope that doesn't come across as snarky, but if it's not for you, then it isn'

• Fair point with your comment lad, I sympathised with 4K as I'd kinda react the same way if lines of dialogue I knew were removed, I'd be stunned as it's part of how I remember games for what they are, but you totally make a good point with removing stuff that are stereotypes or inappropriate references, I can understand the decision in that sense.

Save The World and Beyond Time & Space are still up for me on the Microsoft Store on Xbox, so I can still experience the old games and original content that fit that era, but I think you have a fair point in making adjustments to an aged title to ensure it's brought into today's industry with a relatively clean, appropriate slate

AChicken posted: »

Eh, do what you want. If you didn't get the slightly-raunchier game you were expecting with this remake, then that's a valid reason to refun

• True, it's a tough call, I'd say emailing them and constructively explaining what put you off is a good way to bring attention towards it, but take time to think it over mate

yeah i feel that. for me i’m just debating it in my head since steam refunds are a moral issue. they cause devs to lose money.

• Well, if you do feel like returning it, you could instead just go for the soundtrack if you still want to support it a bit.

yeah i feel that. for me i’m just debating it in my head since steam refunds are a moral issue. they cause devs to lose money.

• Dude....

• I appreciate how much more civil this discussion is here. I miss these forums from back in 2008!!

I've been thinking about the censorship thing, and I don't think changing a new version of a work while allowing the original to still exist qualifies as censorship.
    A lot of people don't seem to recognise that times change, and rereleasing something from 2006 without consideration to a changing culture isn't something that Skunkape deemed wise.
    It's a video game. People should chill :)

• Yeah we're all homies here. Regardless of how shitty what I said was there's only like 20 of us left here and we all know each other, so there's not much beef to go around anymore.

I appreciate how much more civil this discussion is here. I miss these forums from back in 2008!! I've been thinking about the censorship

• Honestly, these dialogue changes don't bother me that much. A bigger crime in my opinion would of been removing some of the characters from the game entirely, like I unno say Abraham Lincoln's statue because it's too disrespectful to the original Lincoln nowadays or edit out the Bosco disguised as his momma segments from episode 6.

I mean, while it would be nice to have all the entire original dialogue in the game, I can understand the decision made behind these changes and adjust to it, a few changed jokes won't cause me to lose the joy I got from replaying this game with new visuals. Now people are giving shit to Skunkape's team and want them to get fired over these minor changes.

I just hope this won't cause season 2 and 3's remasters to get cancelled because people can't adapt to changes and want to have their cake and eat it too.

• Now people are giving shit to Skunkape's team and want them to get fired over these minor changes.

That's my number one problem with the entertainment industry, people who've been involved for decades and made some neat stuff in their day being treated as animals because the "gamer" or "fan" is "so hard done by" and isn't happy with what they got. If I were Skunkape, I'd be pleased with what was made, it's an improvement, and sacrifices have to be made for any kind of improvement in anything within life.

If I were a Dev, I'd honestly only seek to please the fans that I know have my back, that recognise my effort and the Teams, because that's who the game are made for, the people who love and support it, not those who have a temper problem they're ready to let loose if the game isn't what they specifically wanted

Honestly, these dialogue changes don't bother me that much. A bigger crime in my opinion would of been removing some of the characters from

• To me, I'm kinda mixed on the dialogue changes. While it is barely that much of a change, it does sort of filter things that were okay from the start and something that was apart of some's memory of Sam and Max. Honestly, I am glad they remastered it.

So, maybe they'll go in and change it if they see some constructive thoughts.

• Welp, probably the same guys from steam decided to make articles regarding the dialogue changes and Bosco's voice actor, they want to put emphasis on the bad aspects of the game without including the good aspects, they are this determined to make the company lose money and burn it to the ground.

I swear, if these fuckers are gonna ruin everything by having the Skunkape team lose their jobs, ruin any chance of remastering the next seasons and kill off any chances for a comeback for the franchise that introduced me to Telltale in the first place, I'm gonna lose it...

• I really wouldn't be worried about it, I doubt a few vocal people complaining about such minor changes will actually hurt them. Personally, I do feel a few changes are a bit weird such as "sissypants" being gone as I really don't think many French people would ever truly be offended by the whole "French are cowards" stereotype-thing and sissypants is the type of word you'd heard in 4th grade, but there is a weird amount of people acting like the entire game has changed when so much of the game truly is untouched, and what has been changed is still mostly the same.

Not sure why there are a few people who seem to think Sam and Max's gimmick was offensive humor as it pretty clearly was not the point of Sam and Max. If the original devs wanted to change lines they feel are insensitive they can go ahead and do so. I mean, was someone's entire enjoyment of Sam and Max based on making fun of the special needs or something?

Welp, probably the same guys from steam decided to make articles regarding the dialogue changes and Bosco's voice actor, they want to put em

• edited December 2020

Sam & Max have always been jerks specifically to people who deserve it. (not to say they are saints) Recent art by Purcell has them beating the shit out of Nazi's and assortment of terrible assholes. I don't get why people think Sam & Max was ever about being edgy or offensive that legit was never the point, it's always been dry outlandish humor and situations.

Poogers555 posted: »

I really wouldn't be worried about it, I doubt a few vocal people complaining about such minor changes will actually hurt them. Personally,

• I can second this: those Steam Forum guys were ruthless. They were harassing the community manager and shit, might of seen a few death threats too.

Welp, probably the same guys from steam decided to make articles regarding the dialogue changes and Bosco's voice actor, they want to put em

• edited December 2020

Yeah. This is getting out of hand at this point.

I can somewhat agree with the voice actor a bit but to go this far on a witch hunt for a couple of developers and slander them with some nonsensical censorship politics agenda bullshit over like 20-40 slightly altered dialogue lines compared to like 10000 lines in total from all episodes that remained untouched without changing the plot or the characters themselves is just nuts, they just want to find a excuse to have the company destroyed without giving any thought about what will happen if these guys actually lose their jobs. It's not like another company will swoop in and remaster the game twice to include the original dialogue bits, if this fails and the game gets delisted, it will be the final nail in the coffin for the franchise putting the VR game aside.

I heard that the original versions of the episodes will be released eventually as free DLC, which probably includes the old Bosco voice actor and the unabridged lines but I'm not sure if that will be enough to satisfy the masses.

I can second this: those Steam Forum guys were ruthless. They were harassing the community manager and shit, might of seen a few death threats too.

• Its definitely frustrating but a thing to keep in mind is that they will get tired and move on to something else to complain about. These people don't care about Sam & Max, and are just out there to start shit cause their trapped in an era that's slowly being buried with them. I hate that I have to see this coming from a normally niche franchise I love, but it'll be old news in a month or two.

Yeah. This is getting out of hand at this point. I can somewhat agree with the voice actor a bit but to go this far on a witch hunt for a

• edited December 2020

Honestly I would have liked they took it step further and revised the scripts even more. Also, I feel like the changed lines are potentially more funny than the originals.

The removed lines, if you pay attention what those say you should recognize why they got entirely removed. Still would have preferred that they replaced them with a new jokes thought instead entirely omitting (if that's the case, not played that episode yet in the remastered version.)

Adding new stuff more would have also been nice but they basically improved scenes with better animations with some motion capturing. They kept plenty of jokes that some would find way more questionable than the ones removed so I don't think their goal was to sanitize the sense of humor of the first season.

Some of the jokes are way more topical even thought they were written in context of 2006. Especially the white house episode.

• Should I get this game? Is it old telltale? What genre is it and what is the gameplay like?

• Get this game! It made me fall in love with Telltale games way back in the day (2008 perhaps?). It's a classic point-and-click adventure with hilarious writing and a really unique sensibility - and is also a great introduction to these characters. Although I'm biased - this was something I've needed in 2020 without knowing it until now.

Should I get this game? Is it old telltale? What genre is it and what is the gameplay like?

• This game is from the first set of games that Telltale made since the company began. It's a point and click adventure game with actual puzzles, you don't have timed dialogue choices and you can interact with characters and pick up objects to complete some puzzles, the game's main strength is it's comedy and nonsensical situations that go along with it, sort of similar to Tales from the Borderlands if you will, having two main characters, a talking dog who is a detective and his sidekick who is a sociopathic bunny who carries a gun and likes to shoot stuff. The first two seasons don't have a very strong overarching story but the third season steps up it's game with better graphics and a stronger story with a emotional impact at the end. I suggest you give the game a try and see for yourself if it's your cup of tea or not.

Should I get this game? Is it old telltale? What genre is it and what is the gameplay like?

• edited December 2020

Its a more modern point and click. No fail states. Smaller locations, and very accessible with hints if you get stuck. Minor timing based puzzles but no QTEs at all. Classic 2006-2011 telltale. No choice driven decisions to make but you got dialog trees to click through if your looking for some extra jokes or character insight. If you like funny outlandish games similar to I guess Tales from the Borderlands you might end up digging sam & max.

As mentioned the first two seasons have a central theme for the season but can all be played out of order if you like (outside of the finale eps). Season 3 follows a more cinematic story driven approach and is much more similar to modern telltale.

The remaster is based on the first season with plans for remasters of season 2 and 3 in the future.

• Animals

I can second this: those Steam Forum guys were ruthless. They were harassing the community manager and shit, might of seen a few death threats too.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.