Black Screen

Hi I tried playing the Wolf among us yesterday on Steam but when i click on it, it goes to a black screen and then exits out dos not even say it has stopped working it just quits itself pleassse i need help DX im running it on Windows 8.1 and i dont have a controller and i just need help please!! DX

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into this reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/51153/twau-support-tool

After receiving the information from your support tool, we will be able to assist you further.

• http://www.sendspace.com/file/mvkpwu ok thank you guys i love this game and i really wanna play it again so i can be ready for Episode 3!

• Did i do it right?

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your Support Tool information, below are a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse/speakers) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

ctrifunov posted: »

Did i do it right?

• Hi i tried doing all you said but none of them worked :( all my other games work fine but i dont know why this one is not working

This may also be a display issue. Please try starting the game again, and after it goes to a black screen try switching to Windowed Mode using the Windows shortcut (Alt+Enter). After switching to windowed mode, if you are able to see the menu, please try changing the game's graphics settings to a lower setting from inside the Options Menu. If you are still unable to see the game, please try changing the resolution of your computer's monitor to a native 16:9 aspect ratio (ex: 1280x720) and then try starting the game again.

Hi i tried doing all you said but none of them worked all my other games work fine but i dont know why this one is not working

• I tried this and still wont open what it does whenever i try to open it. It goes to a black screen then quickly quits out like nothing appears but this black screen and i have tried everything but it does not seem to help D:

This may also be a display issue. Please try starting the game again, and after it goes to a black screen try switching to Windowed Mode usi

• I even tried moving my game over to my other drive

If you haven't already tried, I would try unplugging any USB speakers or sound devices, and plug headphones into the audio out jack, and then restart the game and see if that resolves the issue. If it does not, please also try updating your graphics cards drivers and/or running the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

I tried this and still wont open what it does whenever i try to open it. It goes to a black screen then quickly quits out like nothing appears but this black screen and i have tried everything but it does not seem to help

• I tried the Audio with Earphones. That did not work, and when i ran DirectX it said it has detected a newer version and that no installation is necessary and i have updated my drivers already.

If you haven't already tried, I would try unplugging any USB speakers or sound devices, and plug headphones into the audio out jack, and the

Are you currently running Steam, or your computer in a Compatibility Mode? I've noticed the game is listed under the compatiblity folder in your support tool.

I tried the Audio with Earphones. That did not work, and when i ran DirectX it said it has detected a newer version and that no installation is necessary and i have updated my drivers already.

• edited April 2014

i think it is im not sure but could this be what is causing it too exit out everytime i load it ?

Are you currently running Steam, or your computer in a Compatibility Mode? I've noticed the game is listed under the compatiblity folder in your support tool.

Yes, this may be the reason. Please right click on the Steam shortcut on your desktop, and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS then the one you are currently using.

i think it is im not sure but could this be what is causing it too exit out everytime i load it ?

• Nope i even checked the Registry and it was not running in Compatibilty mode

Yes, this may be the reason. Please right click on the Steam shortcut on your desktop, and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS then the one you are currently using.

I have a few more suggestions for you:

1) Please make sure Steam is not set to Offline Mode, and that you have a strong internet connection when starting The Wolf Among Us.

2) Please try restarting your computer, and resetting the internet connection settings on your computer after doing so.

3) Please make sure that your The Wolf Among Us game is set to 'Always keep this game up to date'. To do this, please right click on the game from within your Steam Library and go to Properties. Once in the Properties window, navigate to the Updates tab, and under the Automatic Updates section make sure that the drop down bar is set to Always keep this game up to date.

After you set the game to always update, please close down the Steam Client completely. (Please also make sure to close it if it is still open in the hidden icons in the bottom right of the screen when you click the upward facing arrow. If it is, please right click the Steam icon and click Exit.)

Once Steam is closed, please reopen it, and you should receive any of the necessary updates for The Wolf Among Us to work. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.

4) If this does not work, please try uninstalling the game from Steam by right clicking the game and clicking Delete Local Content. Then after it is done, reinstall the game, and start it.

Nope i even checked the Registry and it was not running in Compatibilty mode

• Should i just reinstall steam?

Nope i even checked the Registry and it was not running in Compatibilty mode

• did all of this and none of it worked :(

I have a few more suggestions for you: 1) Please make sure Steam is not set to Offline Mode, and that you have a strong internet connecti

That may resolve your issue. I would first try uninstalling the game, and deleting all content associated with the game from your computer, and then install it and try again. (Please note that this will delete your game saves.)

Should i just reinstall steam?

• Nope this did not work either

That may resolve your issue. I would first try uninstalling the game, and deleting all content associated with the game from your computer, and then install it and try again. (Please note that this will delete your game saves.)

My last possible solution would be to uninstall the game, and delete all files associated with the game. (Make sure to do a search on your computer for any files/folders named The Wolf Among Us.) Then reinstall the game fresh, and this should resolve your issue. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Nope this did not work either

This discussion has been closed.