The Wolf Among Us Crash

Hi there,

Just got The Wolf Among Us on Steam, and it crashes immediately after opening the game. (TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working.) I have already tried basic troubleshooting, re installing, compatibility mode, etc.

Suggestions?

Comments

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited October 2013

If you are using Windows 8, please unplug your controller. This issue is resolved on Windows 8.1, which should release this month.

If you are experiencing this issue on another Operating System, please email our Support Team at support@telltalegames.com for further assistance.

• Thanks! That fixed it.

MattP posted: »

If you are using Windows 8, please unplug your controller. This issue is resolved on Windows 8.1, which should release this month. If you

• The same thing happened with The Walking Dead (and I wish you guys had found a fix for it for this one, at least), and there is a workaround. If you can find the topic, you can put a "dinput8.dll" file on the same directory as the executable and the game will work without having to unplug the controller.

• I also have Windows 8 and the game crashes immediately. But I don't have a controller plugged in. I tried the DINPUT8.DLL trick and it didn't work either. The only other thing I can think of is I'm on a laptop with an integrated video card and a dedicated card. I've noticed that some games don't detect the other card, could this have anything to do with it crashing?

• On the meantime, download a version of dinput8.dll from a trusted source and put it in your game folder. This will allow you to play using your controller (dirty but same solution as than in TWD)

If you are using Windows 8, please unplug your controller. This issue is resolved on Windows 8.1, which should release this month. If you

• I am having the same problem, and I have tried this, but the game still crashes when I have my controller inserted. I have copy-pasted the dinput8.dll file from my local DirectX installation (DirectX 11) into the game folder.

go_ob posted: »

On the meantime, download a version of dinput8.dll from a trusted source and put it in your game folder. This will allow you to play using your controller (dirty but same solution as than in TWD)

• This is an annoying one. If I recall correctly when I was having the same issue in TWD I wasn't able to make it run with any dinput8.dll... I downloaded a couple from some forums talking about this issue until finnaly one worked.

If you played TWD, the dinput8.dll I used then, worked also for TWAU

I am having the same problem, and I have tried this, but the game still crashes when I have my controller inserted. I have copy-pasted the dinput8.dll file from my local DirectX installation (DirectX 11) into the game folder.

• Thanks a lot for the help! Managed to find a dinput8.dll that works from searching around the net. Found it here: http://mcchrystals.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/dinput8-dll/ in case others are looking as well.

Many thanks :)

go_ob posted: »

This is an annoying one. If I recall correctly when I was having the same issue in TWD I wasn't able to make it run with any dinput8.dll... I

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It could. Can you force the system to use the dedicated card in the settings?

MissingLink posted: »

I also have Windows 8 and the game crashes immediately. But I don't have a controller plugged in. I tried the DINPUT8.DLL trick and it didn't

• edited October 2013

W8. Unplugging the 360 wireless receiver (or just having the controller off) gets around the startup crash for me, but the game doesn't recognize the controller once I plug it back in. Tried the dinput8.dll thing as well, which successfully bypasses the crash but the game still won't recognize the 360 pad. Works normally with everything else.

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

The game will only recognize connected devices when the game is launched. Plugging in the controller after launching the game will require a restart before your controller will be detected. Please also note that we only support wired xbox controllers. I can't guarantee a wireless controller will work with any of our games.

W8. Unplugging the 360 wireless receiver (or just having the controller off) gets around the startup crash for me, but the game doesn't recogn

• It appears I was too fast in declaring victory - the game doesn't crash with the controller plugged in, but the analog sticks doesn't work in the game. Guess I'll have to look more around after that .dll file. If that fails, then Windows 8.1 luckily isn't that far away, should release on the 18th.

Thanks a lot for the help! Managed to find a dinput8.dll that works from searching around the net. Found it here: http://mcchrystals.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/dinput8-dll/ in case others are looking as well. Many thanks

• Found a solution on the steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/207610/discussions/0/864951022559575731/
    Now the game doesn't crash AND the analog sticks works, wohoo!

It appears I was too fast in declaring victory - the game doesn't crash with the controller plugged in, but the analog sticks doesn't work in

• FYI you can now download Windows 8.1 - just head to the Windows Store and it should be on the front page (may take a moment or two to update the front page to show it).

• Well... Actually no. You still do not support wired XBOX 360 controllers. For I have Windows 8.1 and it still does not work. Curiously, it DID work back when I was on Windows 8...

The game will only recognize connected devices when the game is launched. Plugging in the controller after launching the game will require a

• can u teach me step by step from downloading the dinput8.dll until how to paste it into the game

Thanks a lot for the help! Managed to find a dinput8.dll that works from searching around the net. Found it here: http://mcchrystals.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/dinput8-dll/ in case others are looking as well. Many thanks

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

If you are running Windows 8, please try upgrading to Windows 8.1 for free, and you should not need the dinput8.dll file to play the game.

Falique posted: »

can u teach me step by step from downloading the dinput8.dll until how to paste it into the game

• im using windows 7 . the problem is, when im playing the game, it suddenly go black and it says "TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working" . i didnt do anything wrong

If you are running Windows 8, please try upgrading to Windows 8.1 for free, and you should not need the dinput8.dll file to play the game.

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/51153/twau-support-tool

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further, and help you to resolve your issue.

im using windows 7 . the problem is, when im playing the game, it suddenly go black and it says "TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working" . i didnt do anything wrong

• I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply t

After looking over your Support Tool information, it seems that your computer is running below the minimum system requirements to run the game successfully. Where we require a minimum of 512mb of dedicated memory, your computer is currently running at 64mb of dedicated memory. Your computer uses an integrated Intel graphics card, which we do not recommend using for our game, as they tend to run under minimum specs. I recommend either trying to update your current card's drivers to the latest version, and see if you are able to play, try playing the game on a computer above minimum specs, or requesting a refund. If you purchased the game from us, please contact/email our Support Staff at Support@Telltalegames.com, and they will be able to assist you further. Please make sure to include in your email, the email address associated with your Telltale account, and the Order ID number that you received at the time of purchase.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/co3lp7

• edited July 2014

hey,i tried Dinput but that's not worked.still crash at launch
    and i must verify cache every time i want to play the game on steam,bcause tha't the only way i can play (The walking dead season 2 & Wolf among us)
    my system requirements more than enough so stop asking that question,it run smooth 60fps on TWDS2 & TWAU

can anybody help me?
    sorry for my bad English

My apologies, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/51153/twau-support-tool

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

AskyPratama posted: »

hey,i tried Dinput but that's not worked.still crash at launch and i must verify cache every time i want to play the game on steam,bcause

• here,for wolf among us
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/2a9pr8

and this,for the walking dead s2
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/leluou

My apologies, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download

After looking over your support tool information, I noticed your graphics card's drivers have not been updated in a while. I recommend updating your graphics card's drivers to the latest version, and restart the games and see if you are able to run them successfully.

here,for wolf among us https://www.sendspace.com/file/2a9pr8 and this,for the walking dead s2 https://www.sendspace.com/file/leluou

• it's latest drivers,i checked it
    so what can i do now? try another way but still can't fix it.

After looking over your support tool information, I noticed your graphics card's drivers have not been updated in a while. I recommend updat

Can you please clarify if you still have the dinput8.dll present in the file directory? If so, please remove it, as it has been known to crash the game if it is not needed. Have you also tried running the game As an Administrator on your computer, or running it in a Compatibility Mode? (We Recommend Windows 98/ME)

it's latest drivers,i checked it so what can i do now? try another way but still can't fix it.

• i did,but still same.
    i don't know what i must to do now

Can you please clarify if you still have the dinput8.dll present in the file directory? If so, please remove it, as it has been known to cra

• if it's too early to celebrate,i think i found the problem.
    just disable steam overlay,i tried on TWAU and it's success (so far),and i'll try to TWDS2 too

i did,but still same. i don't know what i must to do now

Thank you for posting the extra information on how you were able to work around the issue. I hope you are now able to enjoy the game!

if it's too early to celebrate,i think i found the problem. just disable steam overlay,i tried on TWAU and it's success (so far),and i'll try to TWDS2 too

This discussion has been closed.