Mac - Frequent Crashes & Cut-off image

I've recently installed this game through Steam on my MacBook Pro (model info below). And have run into two issues, a display issue at initial startup of the game and a crash issue.

Crash issue

Yesterday, I played for 70 minutes according to Steam before the game froze during Chapter 1 and I had to force quit. Seconds before it froze, many of the textures had odd/out of place black & transparent checkerboard patterns.

Prior to playing today I used Steam's option to verify the local game cache (all was good) and then I played again for a bit less than an hour and ended up with the same results after completing Chapter 1 and viewing the in-game 'preview' of Chapter 2 (that is, before actually starting Chapter 2).

At this point, I uninstalled and reinstalled through Steam's process of deleting local game files and then installing. I played again (Chapter 2) for a bit less than an hour and the game crashed properly (unfortunately I did not save a copy of the app crash report).

At no point while playing or any of the crashes has my machine gotten warm or the fans spun noticeably loud as they typically do when I play other games or do something processor/graphics-card intensive.

I did generate a small Console excerpt containing the few messages that matched a search for 'wolf' (all related to the TWAU app). I also ran the support tool:

I'm running OS X 10.9.4 on a late 2013 Macbook Pro (retina). It's a high-end model with 16GB RAM and the combo onboard Intel graphics + dedicated GeForce card.

Display issue

Every time I've started the game, the display is 'off' position-wise despite being fullscreen. The very first time, the resolution was set to the lowest option available (800x600 I believe) and the image displayed was positioned incorrectly, strips of the screen along the left and bottom were black and the top/right portions of the image were cut off/off-screen. Changing the resolution in the game's graphics settings resulted in the new resolution being positioned correctly on the screen. On the subsequent game starts mentioned above, the previously-set game resolution was remembered, however, the image positioning was still not matching the screen bounds and, again, changing the resolution 'fixed' it.

I'm using the laptop's built-in physical display and have never connected a separate/external display. The theoretical native resolution of the screen is 2880x1800. In the OS X preferences, it may be worth noting that I'm not using the default display resolution scaling, I have it set to "Scaled" and have the slider set to the option labeled "looks like 1680x1050" (this is one of the resolutions I had used when the game crashed). For reference, this is the setting in the System Preferences:

http://i.imgur.com/l7aa1dv.png

If there's any other information that's useful just let me know and I can get it for you. Looking forward to a resolution and I've really enjoyed the amount of the game that I've played thus far.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. For your display issue, have you tried switching the game to Windowed Mode by using the Mac Shortcut (Command+F), and see if you are able to view the full game screen properly. You can then try changing the game's resolution to the resolution that matches your monitor's screen resolution, and then switch back to full screen mode. You may also need to change your option of 'Scaled' back to the default setting in order to see the full game screen in Full Screen Mode.

If you are experiencing crashing and/or any black objects, can you please clarify if when you are playing the game, that your Macbook is set to use the dedicated GeForce card, over the Intel integrated card? Also, did you ever receive an error message when/as the game crashed?

• edited July 2014

Hello,

Using Cmd-F to switch to windowed mode did show the full display properly and Cmd-F again to go back to fullscreen (without changing anything) also kept the display positioned correctly. I did grab a couple screenshots of launching the game before doing that so you can see what I mean in the event there was any uncertainty:

I played again in fullscreen and this time the app crashed again so I grabbed the text from the "Problem Report" from OS X which you can find in this file:

Next time I play I'll try changing the system's display scaling back to the defaults to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for posting the extra information. Can you please clarify where in-game, that the game crashed? Was it during a loading screen, in gameplay, or in the menus?

Hello, Using Cmd-F to switch to windowed mode did show the full display properly and Cmd-F again to go back to fullscreen (without changi

• Sorry, meant to include that. I had just finished Chapter 2 and the game was showing the custcenes/previews of Chapter 3 when that crash occurred. No weird graphical anomalies that I noticed – I was just dropped at the desktop very quickly and got the system Problem Report window for the crash.

Thank you for posting the extra information. Can you please clarify where in-game, that the game crashed? Was it during a loading screen, in gameplay, or in the menus?

Thank you for the extra information. Unfortunately my only other recommendations would be to make sure you do not have any other programs open and running while playing the game to ensure all of your computer's processing power is going to the game, and/or changing the game's resolution and graphics settings to a lower setting, and see if you are then able to play without the crash occurring.

Sorry, meant to include that. I had just finished Chapter 2 and the game was showing the custcenes/previews of Chapter 3 when that crash occ

• edited November 2014

[spoilers for episode 1 and 2 in the description of the crash logs]

Hi,

Instead of opening another topic, I've decided to second this bug filing with my own.

I'm also running a MacBook Pro retina, it's a 15", an i7 Haswell 2.5GHz with 16GB of ram and a GeForce GT 750M with 2GB. Quite a tough machine (though the graphic card is average). I've been completing the first two chapters so far, and got exactly the same behaviour on both. I've been downloading the game today, via Steam.

There are two bugs, I'll start with the first, which I luckily found a workaround.

• I'm not playing the game in 2880x1800, because it's just laggy if other settings are high and I don't like it. After playing with different resolutions, I found out that 2048x1280 looks totally fine, and is constant smooth. Great ! However, when I start a gaming session, the animation is choppy. Not exactly like the graphic card is doing its best, it looks more like the engine being a bit clumsy here. For example, I remember a scene where the camera just follows the character, and keeps hitting him, so it's constantly making a (snapping) displacement back and forth. While walking, it's like the legs animation constantly restarts instead of just cycling through. The workaround I found is to set the game in 2880x1800, and set it back to 2048x1280. The display becomes black, and I must click to make the menu reappear (and my keyboard's backlight to come back…). And then it works perfectly. So, there's a bug there, but there's a workaround (and it keeps like that until I quit, or maybe if I wander for too long in the menu, reading books — not totally sure about that one).

What to know about my configuration : unlike mintyphoenix, I'm using the original resolution of the screen, which is 2880x1800 scaled to appear like 1440x900. That's the "standard" setting of this computer. It can be a bit confusing for some apps, especially knowing that Steam isn't optimised yet for it (its app packages run in low res). A game like Broken Sword 5, for example, is supposed to detect the screen resolution and adapt his graphics to it. Well, on a retina MacBook Pro, it just fails, it only takes in account the "scaled like" parameter, and believes my resolution is 1440x900.
    However, TWAU allows me to choose my own resolution once the game is launched. Besides, graphic switching is disabled, so it should always run on the GeForce (there's an Iris Pro too). I don't know if it is related in any way, but details can't harm I guess…
    Oh, and I'm running OS X 10.10 Yosemite (the current version), I don't know how the game behaves under 10.9 Mavericks.

Now let's talk about the second bug, which is a lot more annoying, because I haven't found any workaround, and it always happens just before a save (and sometimes just after long scenes of investigation…).

• To make it simple, the scene is done, the ending cutscene of the scene is running, and just before the change of plan to the next chapter, black screen, back to the desktop, Steam is still open, and I've got a crash report. Usually, if I relaunch the game right after that, it crashes before I can get to the menu. If I quit Steam and start again, it works ok (I just need to change the resolution as explained in the first bug, and redo the whole scene). I suppose it might have something to do with some memory leak because it happens when the game needs to charge a whole new scene… in fact, I've experienced the same kind of bug on another machine with the game Mercenary Kings, always crashing at the end of a mission, before loading a new set, and the folks there told us it seems to be a memory leak. But well, maybe it's just a coincidence, I know nothing ^^

I'm running almost no apps (just a torrent app seeding almost nothing, an inactive window in Chrome, and, well, a TextEdit file to paste the error logs ^^). When I launch the game, I'm using about 1% of the CPU, and there's 10GB of ram available. When the game crashed, the computer isn't burning (like it can be if I encode video for example). It's quite warm, but nothing like it's been pushed too far.

Here are four crash reports, pasted from the usual OS X crash report window :

• Episode 1, just after I've arrested Dee, and we're walking out of the bar. Crash, just before the autosave.

• Episode 2, just after examining the corpse. We're leaving the room Snow and I. Crash, just before the autosave.

• Episode 2, after some guy broke the mirror when we found his picture. Instead of having the next episode preview, crash, just before the autosave.

• Episode 3, just after the teaser for the next episode.

I hope that helps and that you'll find a way to fix this :)

Thanks ;)

Please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the Mac shortcut (Command+F) and see if your first issue is resolved by playing in Windowed Mode. This may also resolve the other issue that you are experiencing, as the resolution setting of the game may be directly related to the black screen issue.

If switching to Windowed Mode does not resolve the issues, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/51153/twau-support-tool

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

• edited November 2014

In Windowed Mode, it runs fine (I mean, not choppy), but it's displayed on low resolution : the window is always scaled up twice because it believes my screen is in 1440x900, so it can't be sharp no matter which resolution I pick (it shows in 110 dpi, while my screen is 221 dpi), and it exceeds my display area if I pick any resolution higher than 1440x900.
    By the way, I've been trying something, by quitting the game after every checkpoint. No surprise, I didn't have any crash (though it was boring to quite, start again, change the resolution twice, and continue the game). Then I played episode 5 without quitting, it crashed again (I forgot when, I think it was just after the trial, and it happened as usual before the « now loading » icon appeared on the lower right corner).

Here's the support tool zip file (I've run the test before playing episode 5) : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2176517/temporaire/TWAU_support_data_mac.zip

Please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the Mac shortcut (Command+F) and see if your first issue is resolved by playing in Wind

• Hi there,

I seem to be having a similar issue, after a while (20 min of gameplay) game audio goes out of sync, very soon the video is cut off. This happens in both animations and during the gameplay. When it's all dark I am still able to "make decisions" but the screen is black. This usually lasts about one minute and after that game crashes completely. Interesting is I did not have this issue on my old macbook.

Now I am running new 13'' retina macbook pro.

I have tried changing both resolution and game quality but without any luck so far.
    Here is the link to the tech details. Hope it will help somehow.

Btw, I have tried removing all data and downloading game from steam again, did not help.
    I was playing ending of episode 4 and beginning of the 5.

Thank you very much for your time

Thank you for the extra information. Unfortunately my only other recommendations would be to make sure you do not have any other programs op

• Hi,
    Exact same problem here on a similar hardware (macbook pro 13'' retina autumn 2013). After a while (15-30 min of gameplay) the video is cut off, although I am still able to make decisions, then the game crashes.
    I never encountered any problems with The Walking Dead season one on the same macbook.
    I hope you will figure out what is happening. I really love the game so far.
    Cheers.

DefunctiO posted: »

Hi there, I seem to be having a similar issue, after a while (20 min of gameplay) game audio goes out of sync, very soon the video is cut

• Any tip ?

Please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the Mac shortcut (Command+F) and see if your first issue is resolved by playing in Wind

It appears that your computer is well above the minimum system requirements. Unfortunately my only other recommendations would be to make sure you do not have any other programs open and running while playing the game to ensure all of your computer's processing power is going to the game, and/or changing the game's resolution and graphics settings to a lower setting, and see if you are then able to play without the crash occurring.

Yohmi posted: »

Any tip ?

• Hey Guys,
    I have had this problem for quite some time and I haven't been able to figure it out, I was hoping someone here could help me out with my problem.
    When ever I launch Minecraft and after logging in, Minecraft crashes when its at the Mojang loading screen. I'm currently running Yosemite 10.10.1 on my 2009 model Mac; however this same crash has been happening for about 7 months.

I uploaded a screenshot of the Minecraft Crash Report on imgur

Im still new to mac and I haven't messed with the settings too much, any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks and May you have a blessed christmas, Bonjers.

My apologies, unfortunately this is the Telltale Games support forum. You will need to contact/email Mojang Support directly for further assistance with this particular issue.

Bonjers posted: »

Hey Guys, I have had this problem for quite some time and I haven't been able to figure it out, I was hoping someone here could help me out

• My game crashes on my Macbook Pro as soon as I click the play button, it loads and says the stuff about the glamour and Bigby and then it crashes. I have waited for a while, maybe it takes a while to load, but it just does't load. Could you please help me out if you've got any ideas.

If you are experiencing any crashing when starting the game, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/51153/twau-support-tool

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

2pac_smalls posted: »

My game crashes on my Macbook Pro as soon as I click the play button, it loads and says the stuff about the glamour and Bigby and then it cr

This discussion has been closed.