do choices even matter?

edited December 2014 in Game Of Thrones

was thinking about buying this game, but I've read some reviews saying that your choices don't affect things. Is this true? Is it a linear story with little room to maneuver?

Comments

• The choices matter to certain degree, dialogue and certain characters actions will be changed. The overall story will change to a minimum due to the fact the same events have to happen to push the story.

You should buy this game, I don't really enjoy GoT but its really enjoyable.

• If certain things didn't happen, there wouldn't be a story, would there?

• edited December 2014

I was hoping that based on your choices it could morph into an entirely new story, such as preventing the death of a certain character or not allowing a particular character to leave. But perhaps that would just take too long, and cost too much money to do.

If certain things didn't happen, there wouldn't be a story, would there?

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited December 2014

Those are very TellTale choices. Expect stuff like that.

In TWD, you can choose to let a character die or save them. And since TellTale is a bigger company since then, you can count that something like this will happen once

cleftfoot posted: »

I was hoping that based on your choices it could morph into an entirely new story, such as preventing the death of a certain character or no

• edited December 2014

Alt text

It's a telltale game. They very rarely do choice an consequence in the same way that, for example, Bioware does it.

• Ah. Like Lord Chet?

Flog61 posted: »

I think he's talking more about choices which RESULT in deaths being prevented,. That is to say, more like the Nick situation than the Carley/Doug situation.

• I think he's talking more about choices which RESULT in deaths being prevented,.

That is to say, more like the Nick situation than the Carley/Doug situation.

Those are very TellTale choices. Expect stuff like that. In TWD, you can choose to let a character die or save them. And since TellTale is a bigger company since then, you can count that something like this will happen once

• Ah, gotcha. I did decide to go and buy it though. It's very well written, and the voice acting is superb too. So at the very least I'll enjoy the story, and with 6 six episodes averaging at about 2 hours each it'll give me something to do every month or two.

It's a telltale game. They very rarely do choice an consequence in the same way that, for example, Bioware does it.

• Ah. Like Lord Chet.

I think he's talking more about choices which RESULT in deaths being prevented,. That is to say, more like the Nick situation than the Carley/Doug situation.

• Its the first episode, way too early to tell whether or not your choices will matter. This episode was very introductory, just sorta setting everything up for the rest of the season IMO.

Definitely buy the game, its worth the money.

• It does affect gameplay and characters actions and how they think of you. I would definitely buy the game.

• its a lie telltale still tell because we buy their stuff anyway unfortunately, damn gamers and our lack of selfrespect huh

• Welcome to Telltale Games, where everything's made up and the choices don't matter!

• It depends on how much of an expectation of difference do you have. The Doug/Carley choice in TWD had significant consequences in the plot, for instance. Iron From Ice's choices clearly, demonstrably even have a direct effect on the reputations of several characters and perhaps of House Forrester itself.

That said, both also show that (so far at least) Telltale's plotting philosophy allows for divergent paths up to a certain point, but there is still a main plot that will be followed nevertheless. Some dialogue and circunstances will change, and most definitely there are instances of people dying or surviving as a result. But it will not matter far as the general trends of the greater story go.

• edited December 2014

Hey, Cleft. Glad to hear you bought it and I hope you enjoy it. Everyone is right in what they say.

For future reference though, it's probably best to assume choices in games only lead to minor differences no matter what the store page might say. There's an extra credit video you could look at on youtube, regarding the illusion of choice, which explains it very well. I could probably dig up an article too, but not sure you're interested.

The Witcher 2, however, offers the sort of choice you seem to be after. Granted, the story isn't totally different, as I think it more or less joins back up after Act 2 for the finale, but it's one of the games able to offer the closest thing to multiple stories (I've not completed the game, but just going off what I've heard and remember). Alpha Protocol did well in this regard too with a reactive main plot, but it didn't feature two pretty distinct second acts. (And again, The Witcher 2 still had the same general plot thread. It just had quite large differences from the end of Act 1, and there were little things that changed in Act 1 and the prologue too)

• Think of it this way.

You're going to an airport, and you have several methods of getting there for you to pick - Bus, Train, Drive yourself, Bike, Walk etc. Whatever you choose, you'll experience something different to the other, but whatever you pick, you'll still end up at the same place.

• That is a blatant lie, signiicant different my left foot, it seems th fanbois are atleats not lying ablut the choices not meaning squat but yu still try to h

LuisDantas posted: »

It depends on how much of an expectation of difference do you have. The Doug/Carley choice in TWD had significant consequences in the plot,

• Good afternoon to you too. Or spare me from your uncalled insults. You decide.

K0t0 posted: »

That is a blatant lie, signiicant different my left foot, it seems th fanbois are atleats not lying ablut the choices not meaning squat but yu still try to h

• edited December 2014

That is the best fucking explanation I have ever heard.

I love you

Echopapa posted: »

Think of it this way. You're going to an airport, and you have several methods of getting there for you to pick - Bus, Train, Drive yours

• Please...

• <3

That is the best fucking explanation I have ever heard. I love you

• Wait, had an idea:

Teach 'em how to get to an airport, that will certainlyt make playing TTG works less miserable. I don't know how, but I know.

Think of it this way. You're going to an airport, and you have several methods of getting there for you to pick - Bus, Train, Drive yours

• I hope your choices may save some of the houses and special characters like on The Walking Dead. For me I ended up alone in TWD with the baby :D. Well, I wanted it that way. Because I was no longer able to rely on fucktards and idiots. Hard times need hard men(In that case hard little girls). I know I won't be able to kill Ramsey Snow, nor the Queen. I just want some justice for Ethan and bringing House Forester to power, maybe even do a little 'House Reyne' on House Whitehill. Fuck the Boltons anyway. :p.

For me the storyline and importance in KOTOR 1+2 was great, having similarities wasn't too much but the end was a good one, no matter good or evil.

For this GOT series, they definetely should make variants especially big ones. Like Ethan took Duncan so they should try to be sneaky, diplomatic and non bargaining(if you chose Diplomacy). But in each case they should get Ryan back, who will be in the first months being lord a little helpless. But after some special events he should be either able to lead or even if chosen Asher should take the seat and lead the Forrester armies to an swift and sudden end of the Whitehills. The only thing I'd like to have in the end after all small (changes) happened. That both can happen. The end of House Forrester or the uprising of House Forrester. That probably George R. R. Martin could take House Forrester to a bit bigger claim to the series.

• edited December 2014

The game is tailored to you, same suit slightly different measurements.

• Do choices matter in life?

• Life will remember that.

Soley posted: »

Do choices matter in life?

• Yeah, that does sum it up pretty nicely. But fear not, GOT fans; I would buy and play these games again in a heartbeat. In my humble opinion, it's Telltale's greatest achievement to date. The story of the Forresters(while it has it's obvious parallels to the Stark family's) is enthrawing and meaningful; the hard pressed decisions can make you reevaluate your own humanity; you'll mingle with your favorite main characters from the show(don't pretend it doesn't make you feel giddy): And you'll find yourself pleading your family to come watch, "It's not just a game! It's like a movie!", but they won't believe you, and that's okay. Their loss.

• Why did you bump this thread?

Swordsands posted: »

Yeah, that does sum it up pretty nicely. But fear not, GOT fans; I would buy and play these games again in a heartbeat. In my humble opin

• The choices won't guide you left instead of right at the fork in the road; but they'll change the scenery. I love the game though, and I'm not so easy to please. Lol.

• This thread is almost two months old. There's no reason to bump it.

• I do apologize. This is my first time. Should I start a new thread, or delete it and run away with my tail between my legs?

This thread is almost two months old. There's no reason to bump it.

• It's really not that old. And the GOT series is only a 1/3 of the way through. Simmer.

• :)

Swordsands posted: »

I do apologize. This is my first time. Should I start a new thread, or delete it and run away with my tail between my legs?

• (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The only thing that doesn't matter is choices mattering or not!

• edited February 2015

Yes choices do matter. You tailor your own story and though choices may lead to the same result so do choices in life

• Pretty much nailed that one. You're right on all accounts. The only game that had significant changes to the story as a whole (that I've played so far ...) is Walking Dead Season 2. There's a couple of different endings on that one, but that's all based on the decisions made within the last couple of minutes of the episode, so.

LuisDantas posted: »

It depends on how much of an expectation of difference do you have. The Doug/Carley choice in TWD had significant consequences in the plot,

Sign in to comment in this discussion.