If you have an option to not join the Night's Watch, will you take it?

Title explains itself. The choice probably won't show up, but if it did I would still join. The Night's Watch is really cool and the Wall is one of my favorite locations in the show/books. I don't think it matters though, I'm sure Gared will have to leave to go help Duncan with the "North Grove."

Comments

• edited December 2014

You won't have a choice. Telltale gonna Telltale.

But hypothetically, I would still join and train to be a Ranger. I also expect Gared to die at the Wall or North of it and never see Ironrath or any of the members of House Forrester ever again.

• Hes technically fulfilled his role anyway in delivering that message.

I would reckon that the narrative conveniently skips a bit so around the time he gets there Stannis has shown up and so he joins up with Stannis instead.

You won't have a choice. Telltale gonna Telltale. But hypothetically, I would still join and train to be a Ranger. I also expect Gared to die at the Wall or North of it and never see Ironrath or any of the members of House Forrester ever again.

• Stannis showed up at the Wall in S4E10, the game is currently taking place at the end of S3. How could they possibly skip that far ahead? Ironrath isn't far from the Wall at all.

K0t0 posted: »

Hes technically fulfilled his role anyway in delivering that message. I would reckon that the narrative conveniently skips a bit so around the time he gets there Stannis has shown up and so he joins up with Stannis instead.

• *by the time he takes the black.

He isnt convicted afterall

Stannis showed up at the Wall in S4E10, the game is currently taking place at the end of S3. How could they possibly skip that far ahead? Ironrath isn't far from the Wall at all.

• edited December 2014

No I wouldnt the wall has never had any appeal at all to me

• I would definately join, just so i could see if there are any little things to pick up on. Clues beyond the wall and such. Also, to get another POV at the wall would be awesome, just to see things that jon might not have noticed, or been privy to. Seeing some plotting behind the scenes.

• Your time in the Night's Watch begins when you take your first step to the Wall, yes? With the exception of the occasional tourist such as Tyrion Lannister?

• no its when they swear there vows after a few months or so. Though obviously criminals cant really leave the moment they are sentenced.

Unbitten posted: »

Your time in the Night's Watch begins when you take your first step to the Wall, yes? With the exception of the occasional tourist such as Tyrion Lannister?

• Only for the criminals sent there, they forfeit their freedom for their lives in service of the realm. Knights or lordlings who choose to join the watch, have until they swear their vows to change their minds. Although their families may not allow them back even so. Like Sams father Randyll Tarley, who forced his son to take the black, or he would have him killed.

Unbitten posted: »

Your time in the Night's Watch begins when you take your first step to the Wall, yes? With the exception of the occasional tourist such as Tyrion Lannister?

• We won't get a choice but, if I did have one, I'd probably go back. Maybe Gared could be traded with the Whitehill's for Ryon?

• Trade Gared for Ryon? Doubt it. For one thing, the reason Ramsey gives Lord Whitehill Ryon is because he knows that then Lady Forrester will not disobey. If it was Gared in that position, I'm sure Lady Forrester wouldn't be as careful.

Though I wouldn't mind the option. It would be easier to kill Lord Whitehill from the inside.

We won't get a choice but, if I did have one, I'd probably go back. Maybe Gared could be traded with the Whitehill's for Ryon?

• Fair point.

Trade Gared for Ryon? Doubt it. For one thing, the reason Ramsey gives Lord Whitehill Ryon is because he knows that then Lady Forrester wil

• So we show up at "The Wall' as Gared, but do we have a choice to join? Duncan made it sound as if it were a choice, "join the Night's Watch if you can" if we don't join, is there a place where regular people can stay and wait till this whole thing blows over?

• is there a place where regular people can stay and wait till this whole thing blows over?

At the Wall? I doubt it. There have been people to just take residence in Castle Black, but they are mostly highborns (with the exception of Gilly). But I doubt someone like Gared could show up, train with everyone, then say "nope, I'm just gonna sleep in your beds and eat your food until Ironrath is safe then I'll go back."

DoubleJump posted: »

So we show up at "The Wall' as Gared, but do we have a choice to join? Duncan made it sound as if it were a choice, "join the Night's Watch

• Welp, sucks for Gared. Duncan really made it sound like a choice the way he phrased it. I suppose joining the Nights Watch would make things a bit more interesting.

is there a place where regular people can stay and wait till this whole thing blows over? At the Wall? I doubt it. There have been p

• edited December 2014

I guess it would depend on the circumstances. If Gared had family to come back to, or a career that he could make something of himself as, or even another loved one that needed him tying him to House Forrester, I would want him to stay. As terrible of a fate it is to be sentenced to the Wall for those who have family and a way of living, I'd imagine it's akin to a blessing for those who have nothing to come home to. By going to the Wall, the Nobodies are given brothers, and an important purpose. Even if Duncan didn't force Gared to go, and gave him the choice, I would still choose to go to the Wall. Even though killing those Whitehill men was just, there was no way he could go on living as he did before, there was no way Ramsay or the Whitehills would allow him to live in peace, much less the rest of the Forresters.

• Do we actually have a solid reason for why his family was inexplicably killed? Setting aside the coincidence that he stumbles on the soldiers right after the act it seemed like an extremely heavy-handed act by the Whitehalls so soon after the Bolton succession, I hope theres some real explanation we have yet to learn and we arent just suppose to expect it was some lame baiting scheme by the Whitehills.

Tinni posted: »

I guess it would depend on the circumstances. If Gared had family to come back to, or a career that he could make something of himself as, o

• edited November 2015

As far as I know, the reason Gared's family was killed was because those Whitehill soldiers wanted some entertainment to go along with the seizing of land, and Gared's father and sister resisted. It would be very interesting if it went deeper than that though, and I'm not at all opposed to such a turn of events.

Do we actually have a solid reason for why his family was inexplicably killed? Setting aside the coincidence that he stumbles on the soldier

• whoops that makes a lot more sense, I had a feeling I was over-complicating it.

I actually prefer if it was how you suggested though, it was a small mindless event that triggered what is to come, to over-complicate it would be kind of pointless seeing as the damage it caused has already been done

As far as I know, the reason Gared's family was killed was because those Whitehill soldiers wanted some entertainment to go along with the s

• edited December 2014

You're probably right. I'm just a sucker for surprise plot twists though lol.

whoops that makes a lot more sense, I had a feeling I was over-complicating it. I actually prefer if it was how you suggested though, it

• The season is supposed to end shortly after season 4. That would basically mean his plotline was paused until the last episode.

Hes technically fulfilled his role anyway in delivering that message. I would reckon that the narrative conveniently skips a bit so around the time he gets there Stannis has shown up and so he joins up with Stannis instead.

• He says, "become a ranger if you can." A ranger are the guys who get to leave the castles and go on patrol.There's unlikely to be a choice, and what Duncan was saying definitely wasn't meant to imply it. If Gared was staying in the North, it was either going to be in the castle being sieged, being executed, or being in the Night's Watch. People mostly ignore them, and it's not often that they are poked in an antagonistic fashion by other factions.

Tellingly in season 4 when Locke, a Bolton soldier wants to do something that the Night's Watch wouldn't like. He doesn't roll up with a thousand guys and say, do it or else. He seeks out his target through subterfuge.

DoubleJump posted: »

So we show up at "The Wall' as Gared, but do we have a choice to join? Duncan made it sound as if it were a choice, "join the Night's Watch

• See the Whitehills are bannermen of House Bolton, and a much larger house than Forrester in terms of raw power. They hate each other and would like nothing better than to see the other's house fall, but House Stark was warden of the north and had the pull and resources to keep an uneasy truce or something similar. But with the Starks dead and their allies disbanded or rooted out, the Whitehills seized opportunity to take their resources, including food from pork. Soldiers aren't in the business of hauling pigs around. Natually the farmers were against this, being that they are pig farmers and animal farming is their entire livelihood, the animals they raise being their lifeblood. The Whitehills cruelly put down any resistance because they don't give two shits about the smallfolk who live on Forrester lands, and are feeling very confident now that House Bolton, the people they serve as vassal, is the new warden.

Nothing deep behind their senseless cruelty, but fitting, because that's typical of Whitehills and Boltons. We're supposed to despise them because they're selfish and insensitive pricks.

As far as I know, the reason Gared's family was killed was because those Whitehill soldiers wanted some entertainment to go along with the s

• I think the Bolton and Whitehills killing Gared's family and destroying his home sets in stone that he longer has any home to return to (Besides Ironrath).

In a sense, it leaves Gared with few distractions from home and allows him to turn his full focus on the Night's Watch.

• No. White walkers are cooler.

• If I don't get to say the oath and take the black, I will be incredibly disappointed.

• edited January 2015

Maybe we could play Gared in the fights during the wildling-attack on the wall. Now that could be one fun action scene. But on the other hand it't telltale....

n00b_f00 posted: »

The season is supposed to end shortly after season 4. That would basically mean his plotline was paused until the last episode.

• No,I want to meet Jon Snow.

• Telltale missing out on the Battle of Castle Black would be a huge mistake. For fans of the show, actually fighting in it could result in a small orgasm. Even for non-fans, it would be awesome for a full out war scene.

• There probably won't be a choice. If there was, I'd still stay at the wall. No real point going back down south and might as well not lose the North Grove.

• No, I'd join the watch even if it was a real choice. The Wall and its characters have always been my favorite part of the books and show alike. But like many others have pointed out, I doubt you'll be given a real choice on whether or not to join. The Wall seems like a big enough location that Telltale will ensure it gets enough plot time.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.