I wish they had made Ludd Whitehill less of a jerk.

I just think this is the one weak point in the game. He is so over the top comical evil. It would have been allot better if he had shown sympathy for the Forresters but still sided with the Boltans as it would advance his house. Not just him being an ass because he hates the Forresters.

Comments

• agreed, outright evil characters are boring, grey villains who are fighting for a cause which seems worthy to them and have loved ones are much more realistic.

• I can see your point. But if Ludd wasn't such a jerk, there wouldn't be anyone to create conflict and troubles for the Forresters. The conflict between the two houses are the driving force of the story.

• I always love it when antagonists have some complexity to them, so you don't just outright hate them, you find some qualities that surprise you. But this is really early on in the series for Lord Whitehill to develop any kind of hidden agendas or surprise traits, that kind of stuff comes midway, for the first two episodes the writers have to make sure so far we really hate Ludd Whitehill, otherwise the tension and threat won't be as effective. I bet in the next few episodes multiple antagonists are gonna be revealed, and Ludd will show some different sides to him, making our compulsory hate take a turn, that'd be awesome.

• Not just him being an ass because he hates the Forresters.

Honestly I thought that was the point. He talks about how the Forresters hogged all the ironwood and didn't care about what happened to them, also they've been rival houses for a long ass time now. I think it's definitely understandable for him to be a complete ass to the Forresters. And I think he should definitely not be showing sympathy for the Forresters, again they're rival houses.

• He's suppose to be hated

• I hate Ludd Whitehill - I really do! - but I have to defend him on this case. Where is it said that he doesn't have any loved ones? He has a son and a daughter, at the very least. And the way I see it, he is fighting for a cause that sure seems worthy to him: raising the worth and wealth of his house to the detriment of their rival house. I'd just love to know what actually started the hostility between their houses.

Choombi posted: »

agreed, outright evil characters are boring, grey villains who are fighting for a cause which seems worthy to them and have loved ones are much more realistic.

• I think he's only 'evil' to the Forresters. I expect he's quite nice to his own family and soldiers judging by how they willingly defend him and support his actions (even Gwyn). Hopefully we'll be able to see a different side of him through Gryff, though.

Even if his character is a little bit 2d I fucking love his voice acting, though. His actor pulls off the accent and the 'I can do whatever the fuck I like' attitude so well.

• He's the Joffrey of the game. Well, until Gryff comes along and steals his evil thunder. ._.

JakeSt123 posted: »

I think he's only 'evil' to the Forresters. I expect he's quite nice to his own family and soldiers judging by how they willingly defend him

• He was written to be a "typical dick". Most likely we're gonna get a seemingly obvious choice: [Kill him] and [Spare him] - just picture a dramatic situation that needs quick thinking, with some death threads and heavy swearing, "Forresters suck balls"-like, most of people will go with it. Later on, it turns out to be connected to something really bad.

• I think that his character fits well with the spirit of GoT. He's not the only pure evil in game of thrones, though I wish they added some complexity to him.

• I think it makes sense for him. The Whitehills have always hated the Forresters for their perceived "theft" of Ironwood from them, and until recently the Forresters were always top dog compared to the Whitehills. Now the family he hates above all else is powerless against him, so of course he's going to torment them.

• Omid's catOmid's cat Banned
    edited February 2015

I don't want to believe he's evil. What is the reason of his anger? Asher and Gwyn met at some point so Whitehills and Forresters were not enemies all the time. I've got funny theory with the twist. Ludd was handsome man in the past and Lady Forrester had affair with him. Returned to Gregor but twins aren't his kids. Main reason why Talia looks like Gwyn. Now, cool your jets there Rambo, Ramsay killed Ethan, your son. That would be interesting to see.

Anyway, please Telltale, don't make Lord Whitehill one-dimensional character like you did with Carver.

• HAHA,I like your theory.if you think about it the first time we met Ludd(When he comes with the bolton soldier demanding justice)at some point he starts swearing and cursing the Forresters when Lady Forrester comes in saying something like ,,you sound Like a wounded Boar lord whitehill"and he immediatly calms down.

Omid's cat posted: »

I don't want to believe he's evil. What is the reason of his anger? Asher and Gwyn met at some point so Whitehills and Forresters were not e

• edited February 2015

• Yes I'd love to find out too.

Jugre posted: »

I hate Ludd Whitehill - I really do! - but I have to defend him on this case. Where is it said that he doesn't have any loved ones? He has a

• Yes this is certainly true, it makes me wonder if at some point we will have an opportunity to try and bring both houses together - maybe if something happens that poses a threat to both houses.

I can see your point. But if Ludd wasn't such a jerk, there wouldn't be anyone to create conflict and troubles for the Forresters. The conflict between the two houses are the driving force of the story.

• I know that Game of Thrones is a story with realistic characters, but it's obvious that evil people exist in the real world too, so I don't think Lord Whitehill really needs completely different way of his character's development. I disagree with those, who said that he is evil just to the Forresters since they are his enemies. Honestly, I have doubts that everybody will torment his weakened enemies just for fun in a way Lord Whitehill does (he may be a family man, but whatever) . He's just an arrogant and cruel man, but it doesn't mean his character is poorly developed. For example, in "A Song of Ice And Fire" there are lots of pure evil characters - Ramsay Snow (his "Defense Thread" made me laugh, really), Joffrey Baratheon, Gregor Clegane and others. That's why I think Lord Whitehill's character is good in a way he is presented.

• I think the fact that Gywn is very cordial toward the Forresters shows that there are hopes for both sides.

Yes this is certainly true, it makes me wonder if at some point we will have an opportunity to try and bring both houses together - maybe if something happens that poses a threat to both houses.

• I wish they'd given him a personality and a brain instead of just saying "He's evil it doesn't matter why you just have to" the same thing was done with Carver when we wanted to side with him

• He does seem a bit of a stereotypical villain but I still don't mind it, at the end of the day you're supposed to hate him. I just hope they make Gryff a more interesting/unique villain.

• I know sometimes he makes me laugh so much in the game. Just like Joffrey Lannister sometimes the way he behaves makes me laugh so much It is ridiculous. In the Lost Lords when he went to Iton rath and says:" kiss my shiny ring!"
    He is so funny, angry and childish.
    But He hates the Forresters dont expect him to show ANY kind of compassion towards them.

• It'll be worse when Gryff arrives and he's even more evil than his father. It almost makes it implausible that Gwyn is so sympathetic. The whole point of Game of Thrones is that there aren't any outright 2D villains, just characters pitted against each other, with their own troubles, layers and shaped viewpoints, who can change, get worse or be redeemed. But something tells me that's not going to happen here. Even outliers like Ramsay and Joffrey have explanations as to why they are the way they are, so that even if you can't forgive them, you can still understand them. I suppose the game doesn't have time to develop the antagonists, as well as the protagonists, but there could at least be more shades of moral grey involved.

• It looks like the ironwood was once split between the Forresters and the Whitehills.
    The Whitehills harvested their ironwood and had nothing left. The Forresters did the same, but grew ironwood again.

Yes I'd love to find out too.

• edited February 2015

Well, Gwyn Whitehill makes him seem less like a dick.

She seems to be a good person for someone who was raised by Ludd. Maybe he's not all that evil.

It could be that he only has a soft spot for ladies.We've only interacted with him as male characters so far. He treats Mrs. Forrester surprisingly well.

• And I would bet a pretty penny that they get those new trees from the North Grove.

It looks like the ironwood was once split between the Forresters and the Whitehills. The Whitehills harvested their ironwood and had nothing left. The Forresters did the same, but grew ironwood again.

• Its Joffrey Baratheon not Lannister

I know sometimes he makes me laugh so much in the game. Just like Joffrey Lannister sometimes the way he behaves makes me laugh so much It i

• Officially, he is a Barratheon but He is real father/Uncle is a Lannister.
    For me, he is Joffrey Lannister.

Clemenem posted: »

Its Joffrey Baratheon not Lannister

• Alt text

I know sometimes he makes me laugh so much in the game. Just like Joffrey Lannister sometimes the way he behaves makes me laugh so much It i

• I'm betting on Gryff being a good guy.

ninoobz posted: »

He's the Joffrey of the game. Well, until Gryff comes along and steals his evil thunder. ._.

• I would want Gryff to be one of two things -

1. Someone who doesn't want to torment House Forrester, and in a way actually wants to help them
    2. A completely new, interesting, and unique villain that isn't a bit stereotypical like Ludd

I'm betting on Gryff being a good guy.

• Lord Whitehill can be summarized by this awesome Frank Underwood quote:

Proximity to power deludes some into thinking they wield it.

As Maester Ortengryn explained in Episode 1, the rivalry between the Whitehills and Forresters goes back a long time. But the Red Wedding really shifted the political position in the North. Suddenly, the Boltons were in charge. And because the Whitehills are their bannermen, Ludd immediately saw an opportunity to improve his position.

Just like Joffrey, Ludd Whitehill is actually a weak guy without any leadership qualities at all. And if you put them in a position of power, they have a tendency to overcompensate, by treating the people they have power over like shit. I think that's the part that bothers most players: not that he's an asshole, but that he can get away with it.

Come to think of it: we have Ludd Whitehill paired up with Ramsay bloody Snow and we think Whitehill is the biggest jerk??? :)

• The trailer for Episode 2 mentions : " Gryff Whitehill means to torment us. [...] There's nothing worse than a fourthborn son with something to prove. "

I'm betting on Gryff being a good guy.

• That could be what they think he's going to be, but they don't know yet.

• When Ramsay Snow murdered a young boy, he said, "You bought this on yourself."

He's a monster.

A petty bully.

Leave it at that.

• To be honest he's probably the most dull, one sided character in GOT or Telltale history. He had no personality and its all about getting us to hate him opposed to anything else. All the other antagonists had interesting qualities. Ramsay is interesting because he does his evil deeds mainly to impress his father, Joffrey is interesting having adopted the throne at a young age

• The preview from Episode 3 shows that Gryff will be a huge pain. And also, what's the point of him being nice? I can't imagine Rodrik and Gryff sitting down, having a cup of tea and chat it up like good lads till Asher gets home. We need a tyrant in Ironrath so as to have an interesting story there.

That could be what they think he's going to be, but they don't know yet.

• After episode 2, frankly I'm past the point of caring who started what.

Jugre posted: »

I hate Ludd Whitehill - I really do! - but I have to defend him on this case. Where is it said that he doesn't have any loved ones? He has a

• I won't argue with that! I don't care about who started what either. I'd just love to know exactly what happened. I don't want to know it so that I could point judgmental fingers - I want to know it solely because I just want to know more about the history of the said houses, and this thing seems like a very huge part of their history.

Hbh128 posted: »

After episode 2, frankly I'm past the point of caring who started what.

• and i that their death poeple is involved wonder if asher was in love to the whitehill daughter romeo juliette story type

unseenclass posted: »

And I would bet a pretty penny that they get those new trees from the North Grove.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.