Items and their importance

edited February 2015 in Game Of Thrones

(I don't know if there is a discussion about this somewhere, and if there is, my apologies, and this is my first post, so... greetings my fellow gamers.)

So, do you think that some (or all) of the items that our protagonists possess will play a role in the story? They usually appear as a little icon in the left side of the screen.

Right now I can think of:

• Gared's House Forrester necklace;
  • The key and seal Mira can pick up in Margaery's room (the knife is an obvious one, if you don't ditch it);
  • Ryon's wood sword, besides acting as a walking cane for Rodrik;
  • That oh-so-important greatsword Gared had to carry all the way from the Twins just to never be mentioned again? Maybe it's a key of some sort for whatever the North Grove is...

Comments

• First off, Welcome to the Forums.

Now to answer your question, if there is and I don't have it then I'm going to steal it. So far I've stolen pretty much everything I could and used only a little of it.

• I figure Gared's necklace is more just as a sentimental value than anything, though it would be sweet if it had something to do with North Grove (doubt it though). And what you find in Marge's room will probably play a bigger role later, though I wouldn't be surprised if nothing really happened with it. The knife is a curious one though, I'm interested to see what they will do with it, considering its not really like they can use it for "fingerprints" or anything to trace her back to Damien.

And Ryon's wooden sword is Rodrik's walking cane, I doubt it will be anything else.

• Gared can also take medicinal herbs and a bandage from the maester's table.

• edited February 2015

You're right. I feel there is a lot of importance given to Gared claiming to be part of House Forrester in the Wall and the Night's Watch. I think he will be in a life or death situation soon, where if someone sees his necklace or know he's from there will get him killed, and then you're faced with the choice of a honorable, possible death or living by a lie. The threat will probably find out if we lie to save our skin anyway.

I figure Gared's necklace is more just as a sentimental value than anything, though it would be sweet if it had something to do with North G

• Maybe not a killer but I think maybe someone hiding in the "North Grove" or whatever. Gared is trying to get Ironwood from there to take back to the Forresters and uses the necklace to prove he is a member of House Forrester or something. Just a guess, I'm likely really wrong.

Firetruck posted: »

You're right. I feel there is a lot of importance given to Gared claiming to be part of House Forrester in the Wall and the Night's Watch. I

• Good point... not knowing what the North Grove is, is really mind boggling. Maybe it's an idea, a person, a place...

Maybe not a killer but I think maybe someone hiding in the "North Grove" or whatever. Gared is trying to get Ironwood from there to take bac

• I didn't know that, I think a replay is in order for me later today :P

dojo32161 posted: »

Gared can also take medicinal herbs and a bandage from the maester's table.

• If you tell Jon Snow about the North Grove he mentions something about forests and Ice Dragons, though those are the rumors/legends.

Good point... not knowing what the North Grove is, is really mind boggling. Maybe it's an idea, a person, a place...

• Ok so these items show up in the character's inventory, so we must be able to use them at some point and maybe we can use them more than once.

I think the necklace Talia gives to Gared could possibly be used as proof that he is an ally of house Forester i.e maybe the north grove has a caretaker(s) and Gared might have to show it to them to prove that he is with house Forester.

The seal might well come in handy on another occasion in some of the later episodes. As for the key it could be for anything, but will most likely come in handy at some point - it will probably make it easier for us to access something, instead of having to break into it.

I think the herbs and bandages might come in handy for Gared in the sense that he may be able to use them on someone else, for example one of his fellow night's watch men and thus help him gain friends. Or maybe he could use it to help with an injury (new or old) beyond the wall.

The knife (if you chose to keep it) could be used for a number of things:
    1) Used as a weapon to defend yourself or attack.
    2) Used to threaten someone/ take someone hostage (I know it seems crazy, but possible in the right/wrong circumstances)
    3) Be planted on someone else i.e. in their room to frame them for a crime (not necessarily Damian's death - if you chose to kill him)

• He mentions that Old Nan told him the tale of trees as tall as the sky and ice dragons. And if you've read the books, you know that Old Nan is right about the myths and legends she tells more often than not.

dojo32161 posted: »

If you tell Jon Snow about the North Grove he mentions something about forests and Ice Dragons, though those are the rumors/legends.

• About Talia's necklace, i was thinking about what you suggested and it makes alot of sense. On the other hand, it could be given to an ally by Gared to show to the Forresters with a message so that they would know that the Message is true and the messenger was truly from Gared.

Ok so these items show up in the character's inventory, so we must be able to use them at some point and maybe we can use them more than onc

• Yes you make a good point. Gared might find the North Grove and make a rough map indicating it's location, then send a messenger/ally with the necklace and the map to Duncan.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

About Talia's necklace, i was thinking about what you suggested and it makes alot of sense. On the other hand, it could be given to an ally

• Then the North Grove could possibly be a place filled with incredibly tall ironwood trees or maybe something more magical.

He mentions that Old Nan told him the tale of trees as tall as the sky and ice dragons. And if you've read the books, you know that Old Nan is right about the myths and legends she tells more often than not.

• Dog tag. Please return Gared's body to Ironrath, thanks.

About Talia's necklace, i was thinking about what you suggested and it makes alot of sense. On the other hand, it could be given to an ally

• edited February 2015

Well, they just disappear by the time you get to the Wall anyway, so no real point.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if they do or not, I forgot that I lost my original save game so didnt import it into episode 2.

I didn't know that, I think a replay is in order for me later today :P

• Completely far fetched, but for Ryon's sword there might be a plot point where somebody dies/gets hurt trying to retrieve the sword for him, like a Clementines's walkie talkie-type scenario.

• They don't. They're still in Gared's inventory at the wall.

Flog61 posted: »

Well, they just disappear by the time you get to the Wall anyway, so no real point. EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if they do or not, I forgot that I lost my original save game so didnt import it into episode 2.

• Awesome, thanks! I've always been a bit suspicious of disappearing inventory items since TWAU and TWD2.

DoubleJump posted: »

They don't. They're still in Gared's inventory at the wall.

• Chances are the writers of the game themselves don't know what the 'strange key' is for. They'll work that out and write it in once it becomes relevant.

• IDK what u guys r talking about but k

• I was surprised we couldn't give the bandages/healing herds to Potato Humper for the crossbolt wound.

• Either way, if i have a chance to go look for it im there!,

seanstin posted: »

Then the North Grove could possibly be a place filled with incredibly tall ironwood trees or maybe something more magical.

• My first act as ranger of the Wall would be to look for the North Grove faster than Malcolm's teleportation to Essos!

Either way, if i have a chance to go look for it im there!,

• Lol. No doubt.

Malcom, master of teleportation!

seanstin posted: »

My first act as ranger of the Wall would be to look for the North Grove faster than Malcolm's teleportation to Essos!

• It's so irritating when stuff disappears like that. Remember the bullets in Amid The Ruins? Could have least shown them disappearing when she reloaded.

Flog61 posted: »

Awesome, thanks! I've always been a bit suspicious of disappearing inventory items since TWAU and TWD2.

• Used the seal that Mira could steal to seal the letter I chose to let Mira forge officially with Margaery's seal.

So that came in handy (for now).

• POTATO HUMPER! HAHAHAA that's a good one =)

Arbitrator posted: »

I was surprised we couldn't give the bandages/healing herds to Potato Humper for the crossbolt wound.

• I already used the seal

• Does anyone else think it's odd that Margery takes the seal, even though she knows that Mira still has one last wedding invitation to send to her father's drinking buddy? How on earth does she expect Mira to send the letter without the seal? Or maybe that's the point haha maybe she doesn't want him to attend.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.