Game just won't start on Steam

Even after doing the thing in your FAQ and deleting and reinstalling the game I get kicked out on the "Click anywhere to start" screen. I use Windows 7 and no controller

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement :/

Comments

• It's been more than 24 hours and I still haven't got a reply for this or an acknowledgement there is an issue with the game in Steam for people. After sending an email I only got a copy-pasted message that didn't address any of my issues or offer solutions I hadn't tried. Especially since in that email I put the link to the support tool log.

There are more people on Steam who can't even start the game after updating to this episode, we might be a small percentage compared to others but I can't play the game, neither can others and I don't see any acknowledgement, apology or anything.

I love your games, don't get me wrong, I'm complaining but that doesn't mean I love your games less but the lack of acknowledgment for this is bothering me a lot. Having non-existent tech-support or customer relations isn't compensated by making really good games.

All in all I'm angry, I've been playing this as the episodes got released and I can't do it here because there's something wrong

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited July 2014

My apologies. Can you please clarify if you have any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game from communicating successfully with our servers? Also, have you tried deleting your SyncFs folder from your
    /Telltale Games/The Wolf Among Us/ file directory, and then restarting the game?

SaiDeschain posted: »

It's been more than 24 hours and I still haven't got a reply for this or an acknowledgement there is an issue with the game in Steam for peo

• edited July 2014

I have Avira Antivirus and Windows Firewall but they're not blocking the game as far as I know, it's never given me an issue and I tried with TWD Season 2 to see if there was something specific to Telltale and it worked normally.

I deleted SyncFs and it still doesn't work

My apologies. Can you please clarify if you have any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game

I recommend disabling them both, and then trying to connect, and see if you are then able to play the game. If you have already downloaded Episode 5, you can also try disconnecting from the internet completely, and then play through the episode. (Please note that any online features such as Steam Achievements, or Community Choices at the end of the episode may not function correctly.)

I have Avira Antivirus and Windows Firewall but they're not blocking the game as far as I know, it's never given me an issue and I tried wit

• edited July 2014

Going offline helped.

Will this be fixed on an update? I ask mostly because of the achievements, and I like to take screenshots but that's not something that works offline

I recommend disabling them both, and then trying to connect, and see if you are then able to play the game. If you have already downloaded E

My apologies. At this time, I do not have any information on an update for this particular issue, I will make sure to pass this information along to the team, though!

Going offline helped. Will this be fixed on an update? I ask mostly because of the achievements, and I like to take screenshots but that's not something that works offline

• It's been two months and this still hasn't been fixed

My apologies. At this time, I do not have any information on an update for this particular issue, I will make sure to pass this information along to the team, though!

I apologize for any difficulties this has caused you, unfortunately I do not have an update on the issue at this time.

It's been two months and this still hasn't been fixed

• It's not a difficulty, the game just won't start. I tried deleting my saves to see if that would stop this issue and the same thing happens. I'm really disappointed

I apologize for any difficulties this has caused you, unfortunately I do not have an update on the issue at this time.

• edited October 2014

hello everyone, I had this issue, I found a solution, after test all the possible recomendations in the internet, I think that the problem was on my graphic card or my graphic card drivers, I don't know, to test that I connect my tv with hdmi wire to the original graphic card, not nvidia, the mother board graphics card, and that's it, the game works, I changed to windowed, then I test in my monitor with the nvidia graphic card and also works,

I hope this help all of you with the same problem.

= )

• My problem has nothing to do with graphics, it has to do with telltale directly.

Gusanto posted: »

hello everyone, I had this issue, I found a solution, after test all the possible recomendations in the internet, I think that the problem w

• Has this issue been fixed at last? The lack of tech support to this regard is abysmal.

It's not a difficulty, the game just won't start. I tried deleting my saves to see if that would stop this issue and the same thing happens. I'm really disappointed

Apologies for the delayed response. Unfortunately there have been no updates for this particular issue. Could you please try running the Support Tool again now? I can then take a look and see if there is anything else I can suggest for you to try to resolve the issue.

Has this issue been fixed at last? The lack of tech support to this regard is abysmal.

• I don't think this has to do with my laptop. This is a problem on your end because the game crashes when it connects to your servers. Going offline helps, but if I go offline I don't get choices, achievements and I can't take screenshots.

But have the support tool log anyway https://www.sendspace.com/file/lurm2b

Apologies for the delayed response. Unfortunately there have been no updates for this particular issue. Could you please try running the Sup

Can you please clarify if you are currently connected to the internet via a wired connection, or a wireless connection? Also, I recommend making sure both your Network Card's and Video Card's drivers are updated to the latest version by using the links in This Thread. Please also make sure you have unplugged any and all USB devices from your laptop when starting the game (This includes any headphones and/or gamepads) and then restart Steam, and start the game again.

I don't think this has to do with my laptop. This is a problem on your end because the game crashes when it connects to your servers. Going

• It's wireless. As far as I know everything is up to date and the game still crashes after trying it without having stuff in my USB ports

Can you please clarify if you are currently connected to the internet via a wired connection, or a wireless connection? Also, I recommend ma

I recommend, if you have the ability to, connecting your computer to the internet via a wired connection, and see if this resolves your particular issue.

If you still experience issues after connecting via a wired connection, can you please clarify if you have tried running the game with your anti-virus and internet firewall programs disabled, to see if you are able to play successfully?

It's wireless. As far as I know everything is up to date and the game still crashes after trying it without having stuff in my USB ports

• I don't have that ability. And deactivating my firewall and antivirus doesn't solve anything

I recommend, if you have the ability to, connecting your computer to the internet via a wired connection, and see if this resolves your part

My sincere apologies, unfortunately I am out of potential solutions to resolve your issue. If you do get the option to connect to the internet via a wired connection, I recommend try connecting that way, and see if you are able to successfully start the game while connected to the internet.

I don't have that ability. And deactivating my firewall and antivirus doesn't solve anything

• But a wired connection can't probably do anything because the problem is at your end. The game breaks when it's synching to your servers, a wired connection wouldn't solve anything and besides wired connections are weird nowadays.

Either fix this or give me a refund. It's as simple as that, the last update broke the game almost a year ago and you haven't bothered in fixing it, and probably never will because of all the other stuff you're doing at the moment

My sincere apologies, unfortunately I am out of potential solutions to resolve your issue. If you do get the option to connect to the intern

Unfortunately we are unable to provide refunds for games purchased from third-party distributors. For any inquiries regarding refunds, or refund requests for games purchased through the Steam Client, please contact Steam Support directly for further assistance with that particular request.

But a wired connection can't probably do anything because the problem is at your end. The game breaks when it's synching to your servers, a

• edited March 2015

Then FIX THE GAME, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

This is a problem on your end, the episode 5 update broke my game so you should at least take the time to fix it because I'm not the only one with this issue and I used to be annoyed about it but now I am angry because of this blatant disrespect to your customers.

I get it you're focused on all the new games you're making but you broke my game with the last update and no amount of "sincere apologies" is going to fix that, fixing the game will fix it.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide refunds for games purchased from third-party distributors. For any inquiries regarding refunds, or re

• Have you fixed this yet or am I going to receive a half-assed apology because you prefer to focus on recent games?

Then FIX THE GAME, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. This is a problem on your end, the episode 5 update broke my game so you should at least take the

• Steam won't give me a refund because I bought the game two years ago and I've played it so I'm not eligible.

Are you going to fix the game or not?

Have you fixed this yet or am I going to receive a half-assed apology because you prefer to focus on recent games?

edited April 2015

Unfortunately there are currently no plans announced to update the game. I have made sure to pass all of your information along to the team for further investigation into your issue, but I do not have any updates for your at this time.

Steam won't give me a refund because I bought the game two years ago and I've played it so I'm not eligible. Are you going to fix the game or not?

• I'm having the same problem. I can play while disconnected but not while online. I think this is an administrative issue where our computers Networking protocols are keeping us from connecting to your servers.

Unfortunately there are currently no plans announced to update the game. I have made sure to pass all of your information along to the team for further investigation into your issue, but I do not have any updates for your at this time.

• It sounds likely but it might not be the case this time, as in the game worked perfectly fine for me before they updated to the last episode, and I did some troubleshooting thing that someone on Steam told me to do to see if it was something from my own computer but it wasn't

Theox posted: »

I'm having the same problem. I can play while disconnected but not while online. I think this is an administrative issue where our computers Networking protocols are keeping us from connecting to your servers.

@Theox If you believe it to be a network protocol issue, you can try disabling all of your network adapters except the one that you are currently using to gain internet access from, then restart the game and see if you are able to play successfully while connected. You can disable any secondary network adapters by following the steps in This Article.

It sounds likely but it might not be the case this time, as in the game worked perfectly fine for me before they updated to the last episode

• that doesn't work for me.

Still not bothering to fix this?

@Theox If you believe it to be a network protocol issue, you can try disabling all of your network adapters except the one that you are curr

• Still nothing? Every time I think about this I get more pissed off, the person I talked to through emails was even less helpful because his conclusion is that it's an issue with my laptop, which is bullshit because this issue happened RIGHT AFTER YOU UPDATED EPISODE 5! At the suggestion of the guy who talked to me I deleted Steam and all the files and the same thing happened, and I lost the extensive library of screenshots I had because of that

I can't get a refund because I bought it off Steam, and Steam won't give me a refund because I played it and bought it more than one year ago. It's nice to see this is how much your customers matter to you... I'm still baffled at how a company with games so good can have such a piss-poor excuse for customer/tech support, especially because you got me by the balls here and I can't do anything about it...

that doesn't work for me. Still not bothering to fix this?

• Wish I read this thread prior to purchasing

This discussion has been closed.