Lady Margaery Lied?...

edited March 2015 in Game Of Thrones

so, we all remember the scene in which lady margaery tells mira how asking joffrey for help went. if you don't, here's the full episode. skip to 1:35:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zm1Ud9civA

I can't be the only one who thinks lady margaery is lying. I mean, in the books and tv show she has joffrey under her thumb. she could get anything she wants out of him, that's just fact. I personally think lady margaery just didn't want to have people to think she's protecting the bannermen to house stark with the wedding so close. and by wedding, i really mean the murder of joffrey. as most people know, lady olenna is the one who poisoned king joffrey. and from what we know, it's definitely possible that lady margaery was involved. she probably didn't want anyone having the idea she was a traitor, thus having no one suspect her as being involved with the murder. she probably also ripped the dress herself so as to scare mira out of asking her for any more help.

please do not mistake this for me not liking lady margaery. I actually like her quite a bit. but we've all seen how sly she can be, and i don't think she lied without good reason. it's not that she didn't want to help mira, it's that she knew she couldn't afford to.

well, it's just a theory. i personally believe it, though. only because lady margaery could have gotten whatever she wanted out of joffrey. if you've read the books you'd agree with me, too!

so, what do you guys think?

Comments

• I've been convinced of this since the first time I played through that scene. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if she had left the seal and key on the table to test Mira. I also find it strange that in episode 2, she asks Mira if she's finished writing all the letters. Mira tells her that there is only one left (the one to be sent to her father's old drinking buddy). Now before Mira has finished the invitation, Margaery tells Mira that she can't help Roderick win his betrothal and then proceeds to leave the room with the seal, that she borrowed from her father (in my play through I took the seal). So it begs the question, how on earth does she expect you to be able to send out the invite. Or is that the point? Maybe it's a test. If Mira were to finish the letter and then use the wax and seal that she had taken in the previous episode, then Margaery would know that Mira had taken the seal. If the letter arrives without a seal, then Margarey might assume that Mira hadn't taken it after all. Also if the invite never arrived, then no one would be any the wiser as to whether it was ever sent, or if it just never arrived.

• Yes, Marge is full of poop.

• Alt text

Yes, Marge is full of poop.

• I do think she lied about asking Joffrey and ripped her own dress. She tells you before you meet with Cersei that she's in no position to have any questions raised about her or her motives, so i think its a big possibility.

With regards to Margary being involved in Joffreys' death, i believe that in the show/game, she is not involved. It seems like Olenna Tyrell did it in conjunction with Littlefinger, and after the fact she revealed some of the details to Margary. So Margary knows her grandmother was complicit in the Kings murder, which is why she looks so horrified at Tyrions trial and all of the 'evidence' against him.
    In the books though, i think that Margary was personally involved in the plot.

• yeah, i probably agree. it didnt really seem like lady margaery was all that involved. i am a bit torn up about it, though. i'm not 100% sure, is what i mean.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I do think she lied about asking Joffrey and ripped her own dress. She tells you before you meet with Cersei that she's in no position to ha

• Dont worry, it's almost impossible to be 100% sure about anything in ASOIAF. :)

jules_v_g posted: »

yeah, i probably agree. it didnt really seem like lady margaery was all that involved. i am a bit torn up about it, though. i'm not 100% sure, is what i mean.

• Then it makes me feel a lot better by stealing those items from her table.

• Yeah I don't think Margary has any ill will toward Mira, just that she didn't want to be like, 'bitch I'm not gonna ask the king to help your traitorous house' and gave us this little charade instead. I wouldn't have even asked her for help, but my mother insisted.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I do think she lied about asking Joffrey and ripped her own dress. She tells you before you meet with Cersei that she's in no position to ha

• Would it not be simpler for Margaery to just say no instead of going through all that trouble? It's possibe I suppose but it seems unecessary to go through the trouble of being absent for a while and ripping her own dress when she could've just said no and hope Mira understood.

• I don't think she has any ill will towards Mira either. That doesn't prevent her from doing something to get rid of her though, if she thinks that Mira may be putting her own position at risk. She would literally be the last suspect anyone would think of if Mira were to turn up dead.

Yeah I don't think Margary has any ill will toward Mira, just that she didn't want to be like, 'bitch I'm not gonna ask the king to help you

• but my mother insisted

Here, have a like.

Yeah I don't think Margary has any ill will toward Mira, just that she didn't want to be like, 'bitch I'm not gonna ask the king to help you

• Yeah, it would be have been simpler. I guess Marge didn't want to lose Mira as trustworthy "ally" in a sense so she pretended to ask.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Would it not be simpler for Margaery to just say no instead of going through all that trouble? It's possibe I suppose but it seems unecessar

• There's another scene that makes me think that Marge is testing Mira.

Why would she take the seal and leave the room,if her supposedly trusted friend and handmaiden Mira [as she puts it herself] is the one who handles her letters and still had one left to finish? She knows there is still one letter to be written. She just leaves for no reason as soon as the topic shifts to Mira's situation after the letter from her mother arrives.

And then like she's baiting Mira too, she says RIGHT as she takes the seal away : " A letter from me could certainly encourage the Glenmores". She's intentionally putting that thought into Mira's head.

The way the camera pans on the seal as Marge takes it and the way she conducts herself afterwards make it seem like she's up to something,too.

But then again, you can never know with Natalie Dormer's mischievous smirk >_<

Sign in to comment in this discussion.