Everything would have been better if Renly won...

edited March 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Stark and Baratheon would have allied adding to Robb's army thus being powerful enough to defeat The Lannisters and The Greyjoys. Renly could keep Robb from being distracted and wedding a no one with both of them being in charge. It would be Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon all over again

Comments

• ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2015

Hard to say... Robb Stark (like his father) supported Stannis Baratheon's claim to the throne over Renly's.

• I doubt it. Renly was an obvious usurper, Stannis is the true King. (You have no idea how much it pains me to type those words....)

The fact is, all Rob went south for was to save his father. What his campaign turned into was not what was intended in the beginning. He was just a lordling, and i don't think that allying with Anyone was remotely on his radar.

If he had succeeded in his goals to rescue The Ned, the North would have declared for Stannis.

• Just wanted to say Thank You for making this game. One of my favorite book series, and for years i wished someone would make it into the kind of game that made you feel like you were actually In that world.

Now Telltale has, and it's brilliant, so thanks to you all. :)

ArthurV posted: »

Hard to say... Robb Stark (like his father) supported Stannis Baratheon's claim to the throne over Renly's.

• edited March 2015

He admitted to Caetlyn that he wanted to ally himself with Robb and why not? Robb was winning the war with the Lannisters. Look how much Stannis did for Robb's army... nothing

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I doubt it. Renly was an obvious usurper, Stannis is the true King. (You have no idea how much it pains me to type those words....) The f

edited March 2015

Thanks so much. It really means a lot. We have an extremely dedicated and talented team working on this game and all of us have tremendous respect for the source material and its fans. Makes me so happy to hear from dedicated Thrones fans like yourself that we're hitting the mark. :-)

Just wanted to say Thank You for making this game. One of my favorite book series, and for years i wished someone would make it into the kin

• Oh i admit that it would have been good for Renly, if Robb had chosen to ally with him. But, if Robb had, it would have made me think less of him as a ruler. Renly had no claim to the throne, at all, and i was pissed when he tried to get Ned to take the throne and the Lannister kids. And then he fled....

Clemenem posted: »

He admitted to Caetlyn that he wanted to ally himself with Robb and why not? Robb was winning the war with the Lannisters. Look how much Stannis did for Robb's army... nothing

• Just think about this if Renly hopped aboard and somehow convinced Robb to marry that Frey girl that would mean all The Baratheons, Freys and Starks would have owned the seven kingdoms and would've been unstoppable

Oh i admit that it would have been good for Renly, if Robb had chosen to ally with him. But, if Robb had, it would have made me think less o

That force (not to mention the addition of the Tyrells/Redwyns/Tarleys and Tullys) would be unstoppable, but diplomatically almost impossible to achieve. Renly would have only allied with Robb's army if the Starks bent the knee to him. Robb's too much like his father to ever do that, and Renly's too prideful to reach a compromise. It was a lost cause when Catelyn tried to parley with him.

Stannis acted cruelly, but I'm not sure what choice he had. He's legally the heir and if he had gone to open battle with Renly, his forces would have been crushed.

Just think about this if Renly hopped aboard and somehow convinced Robb to marry that Frey girl that would mean all The Baratheons, Freys and Starks would have owned the seven kingdoms and would've been unstoppable

• His worst mistake was not bending the knee to his big bro. r.i.p renly

• Are we talking Book Renly or TV Renly?

Book Renly was much more of an self-aggrandizing arrogant twat than his TV counterpart. He also showed a number of signs of being bigger on showmanship than actual leadership, such as leading his cavalry so far ahead of his supply train to meet Stannis at Storm's End that he had no choice but to enter battle soon or refusing to attack Stannis during the night rather than at dawn as agreed, since it would make him look like he won by trickery. Offered a chance at peace through a great council by Catelyn Stark, he rejected it in favor of 'might makes right', saying that he should be king because he had the biggest army.

He did not leave a good impression on me for the short time he was a 'king', and I have to imagine he would have started floundering badly when left to deal with the enormous problems about to hit Westeros.

• Like Lady Olenna told Sansa - "He knew how to dress and he knew how to smile and he knew how to bathe, and somehow he got the notion that this made him fit to be king." Renly was never a true king because he never had any claims to the throne and he refused to bend the knee to his brother, he was very arrogant and thought a brig army means a rightful claims like his older brother 16 years ago.

Also, Robb would have never made terms with Renly becasue he was a usurper and would never bend the knee to him after he'd won the throne.
    Renly agreed to call Robb "King" as long as he'll still be a vassal to him which would never happen afer the North succeed from the kingdom.
    Whille reading the scenes with Renly in COK I never felt that an alliance would work between the two as Renly never agreed to anything but put it on hold untill he'll defeat Stannis.

• [removed]

• And everything would have been even better if Renly never even claimed to be the King.

• Renly was a moron so He wouldnt have worked out

• Renly would have put the kingdom in the same position all over again. He wouldn't have been able to sire a true heir to the throne. No matter how drunk he got he still couldn't lay with Lady Margaery. So there would have been whispers and then bastard situation, topped off by more death.

• never watched game of thrones or read the books in my life - but your game made me want to....that's how awesome a job you guys did

Thanks so much. It really means a lot. We have an extremely dedicated and talented team working on this game and all of us have tremendous r

• yes excellent work! ty ty!

Thanks so much. It really means a lot. We have an extremely dedicated and talented team working on this game and all of us have tremendous r

• edited March 2015

Yeah I wanted to say thank you as well for bringing one of my favorite series into this fantastic game. Good job and keep it up :)

• edited March 2015

I don't know. I liked Renly but like mentioned before, he wouldn't have been able to sire a child and would have probably placed the kingdom in a bad situation. But there's no denying he would have been a good leader and fair to everyone.

• edited March 2015

I don't think Stannis is that good of a leader and I'm not the biggest fan of him. I support him as far as killing the Boltons but I wouldn't want him on the Iron Throne.

• But in the TV version, didn't Renly agree to give Robb the North if they allied right before he was killed? It's been awhile since I watched but that's what I thought.

That force (not to mention the addition of the Tyrells/Redwyns/Tarleys and Tullys) would be unstoppable, but diplomatically almost impossibl

• I'm with you on that one Stannis for the most part seemed like a selfish arrogant douche jock. Renly seemed like the under dog who was about to pull an upset. Stannis had to cheat to win but like it said earlier sometimes winning and fighting fair are no compatible

• edited March 2015

I agree with what Arthur V said above. That is what i was trying to get across.

Just think about this if Renly hopped aboard and somehow convinced Robb to marry that Frey girl that would mean all The Baratheons, Freys and Starks would have owned the seven kingdoms and would've been unstoppable

• Stannis is going to burn you both for saying that.

No, but seriously, I love Stannis, but he's too impatient at times and the whole "R'hllor is the only god, all others are false and their shrines need to be burned" thing bothers me. But it's hinted that Stannis doesn't really share Melisandre's views on that.

I'm with you on that one Stannis for the most part seemed like a selfish arrogant douche jock. Renly seemed like the under dog who was about

• I think the fact that he doesn't really believe in Rhollor or have any conviction in that religion makes the fact that he sacrifices to the red god, forces others to renounce their Gods and destroys religious artifacts from other denominations even worse of a travesty.

If these were his true beliefs, i may have been able to understand some of his actions. As it is i think it undermines his claim to be 'saving the realm' and any belief that he could be a good king to his subjects.

Stannis is going to burn you both for saying that. No, but seriously, I love Stannis, but he's too impatient at times and the whole "R'hl

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

My memory's a bit fuzzy, but it sounded more like he'd allow him to keep the title, but in all actuality, the north would be part of the kingdom again.

But in the TV version, didn't Renly agree to give Robb the North if they allied right before he was killed? It's been awhile since I watched but that's what I thought.

• Yes, that is the impression that i got from it as well

HiroVoid posted: »

My memory's a bit fuzzy, but it sounded more like he'd allow him to keep the title, but in all actuality, the north would be part of the kingdom again.

• Stannis and rh'ollor, mind you. I'm not so sure that R'hllor is the sort of god that you want to parly with - burning people at the stake ?

I somehow think that Westeros would have a very hard time accepting Stannis as king.

I doubt it. Renly was an obvious usurper, Stannis is the true King. (You have no idea how much it pains me to type those words....) The f

• edited March 2015

Note: I am talking about the TV show only.

Renly as the youngest son has no claim to the throne. He is just messing it up for the family. Then again, Mark Antony and Octavian had to duke it out on the battlefield before they gained enough respect for each other to unite against the conspirators. There is just too much power at stake for a player to just give up without playing his hand.

But I agree, his alliance with Robb Stark does have the best chance of returning Westeros back to status quo ante. Stannis with his dark magic and weird near eastern cult will never be accepted by the lords and the people.

• I agree. I'm not a fan of Stannis, even less a fan of the 'red god', and i don't really think the realm will ever accept him. What i was trying to get across above was that even though i think this of Stannis, and so may the entirety of Westeros, none of that makes Renly the King.

Stannis and rh'ollor, mind you. I'm not so sure that R'hllor is the sort of god that you want to parly with - burning people at the stake ? I somehow think that Westeros would have a very hard time accepting Stannis as king.

• He's doing whatever he has to do to acquire the throne, even if he doesn't necessarily like it. He's said himself, in the books at least, that he doesn't even want the throne, but he knows it's his by rights and he strongly believes in upholding that law.

I think the fact that he doesn't really believe in Rhollor or have any conviction in that religion makes the fact that he sacrifices to the

• I know what Stanis says, and i agree that he Is the King, (not in the North). But words are wind, and if all of your actions subjugate someone else at the benefit of only yourself.....

Not trying to start an argument, this is just how i see things.

He's doing whatever he has to do to acquire the throne, even if he doesn't necessarily like it. He's said himself, in the books at least, th

• True that.

The 'red god' is kind of weird - makes one question if it is a true god or not - for example, it has the ability to bring dead people back to life, see certain murky things in the future and is often quite right.

The old gods do certainly have powers as we've seen with Bran, the new gods (the 7) don't seem to offer much hope at all.

So I'm assuming the red god is some kind of demon of a sort.. The old gods perhaps more magical in a way.

I agree. I'm not a fan of Stannis, even less a fan of the 'red god', and i don't really think the realm will ever accept him. What i was try

• Yeah, the 'red god' kinda gives me the screaming mimis. I just have this really bad feeling about them, and i don't care how many good intentions Melissandre may have (or not most likely), i feel like she's leading our potential heros astray, she definitely knows that her 'Lightbringer' is a fake. All her potions and powders and assumptions just make her a con woman in my eyes, not a priestess.
    I sure as hell wouldn't want her anywhere near me, or ghost, or jon, or anyone really.

They should lock Her in an ice cell and see how her fire god gets her out of that one.

The Old Gods on the other hand, i feel like they are primarily a nature based religion that just happens to have it's own kind of magic. With the skinchangers and greenseers, i feel like these are gifts from the Gods to the people that they (the gods) feel will fight for what they believe in, or be of some benefit to the 'cause'.
    Yes, sometimes nature is dark, and frightening, and sacrifices may have to be made. But it is about Life and Death, balance. There is both hope and despair from the Old Gods.

True that. The 'red god' is kind of weird - makes one question if it is a true god or not - for example, it has the ability to bring dead

Sign in to comment in this discussion.