Age appropriation

I was looking to get my 10 year old cousin a gift. I have not read GoT so I don't know how graphic it is with its descriptions of violence and sex. Is Martin's series a little too mature for someone her age?

Comments

• Dubz13Dubz13 Banned
    edited March 2015

nah, it's all good in my book...she's old enough to play

however - telltale does have more age appropriate games I guess if that is your concern; you can't go wrong with Jurassic park or the awesome back to the future game

• Just FYI - Appropriation doesn't mean the same thing as a noun version of 'appropriate' - the former means that you're taking something from someone :)

Personally I wouldn't be giving a ten year old a book with that much graphic stuff in. Maybe consult her parents first?

• edited March 2015

To be frank, I wouldn't mind the graphic stuff in the game if I was 10 years old right now. When I was that age, I didn't, but I think it's better not to take a risk. So, better don't gift her the game. Just for example, Ep. 1 contains a couple of murders and a partially flayed man. Both are in line with the books/the show.

• You definitely shouldn't be looking to get a 10 year old the books, I've heard they're pretty graphic.

And even then, isn't violence and sex a little too mature for a ten year old? No matter how graphic it is? :P

• Okay. I did not think so. Just she was the next birthday on line and GoT was on my mind at the time.

• edited March 2015

Yeah, ESRB has mature at "MATURE
    Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language."
    I would not buy a 10 year old The Game of Thrones, nor would I let them watch it, it is for an older audience. Just like I would not let a 10 year old watch 50 shades of grey.
    I would recommend Jurassic park or Back to the Future

• Wait for another 4-6 years it's seriously nothing for young kids. Same goes for the show and game btw.

• LyuksLyuks Banned

[removed]

• Yup, this is perfect for a 10 year old.

• Yeah, I mean, I was a fan of Mortal Kombat since I was 4.

Yup, this is perfect for a 10 year old.

• No. GOT is not for kids. Far too many of those in this fanbase as is.
    If you had so much as a ounce of common sense you wouldn't buy anything GOT related for a 10 year old.

• PEGI: The content of this game is suitable for persons aged 18 years and over only.
    It contains: Extreme violence - Violence towards defenceless people - Strong language.

• Definitely not. Wait till she is 14 and buy it for her if she is still interested.

• You really need to know the person to determine how mature they are to handle stuff like that, but I'd say call it safe and not do it. It seems really young for someone that age to read heavy material like that. :/

• Appropriation would more accurately be described as giving things out in proportion to certain criteria. Distribution of food rations would be an example of appropriation.

Flog61 posted: »

Just FYI - Appropriation doesn't mean the same thing as a noun version of 'appropriate' - the former means that you're taking something from

• I think it would really depend on how mature the 10yr old was. I was reading things that were way above my level pretty young, and watching horror movies with friends at 9 or 10 yrs old. so i would never say never.

• Its even idiotic to ask that kind of question. Its GOT what do you expect ? Flowers, kisses and some nice rainbows ?

Cope49 posted: »

No. GOT is not for kids. Far too many of those in this fanbase as is. If you had so much as a ounce of common sense you wouldn't buy anything GOT related for a 10 year old.

• edited March 2015

..when you say 'age appropriation' - appropriation plus an abstract noun - it very much has appropriation's primary definition: absorption and almost stealing. 'Culture appropriation' is not distributing culture weirdly, its taking a culture that you don't already have.

BipedalP posted: »

Appropriation would more accurately be described as giving things out in proportion to certain criteria. Distribution of food rations would be an example of appropriation.

• I think OP is just trolling us..

Lordmark posted: »

Its even idiotic to ask that kind of question. Its GOT what do you expect ? Flowers, kisses and some nice rainbows ?

• There are no mature 10 year olds...

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I think it would really depend on how mature the 10yr old was. I was reading things that were way above my level pretty young, and watching horror movies with friends at 9 or 10 yrs old. so i would never say never.

• I would beg to differ, but thanks for your opinion.

There are no mature 10 year olds...

• I would say there are mature 10 year olds, but probably none that are ready for Game of Thrones type stuff.

There are no mature 10 year olds...

• Since you're asking if GoT is okay for a ten ear old girl, I'd say yes. If she's into it and interested, I'd say she'll connect with Arya the most.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.