The North Grove – what do we know by now?

edited March 2015 in Game Of Thrones

So what do we already know about it?

Duncan: "He describes a fortification - a protected citadel of sorts - hidden from the world. One filled with great power."

Cotter: "I've heard stories - of a secret forest within a forest. Your lord knew what he was talking about."

Finn: "I heard it's a witch's den where they turn children into giants." (that one's probably to ignore)

Frostfinger and Jon Snow had also something to say about it.

So apparently it's either a shelter/fortress of some kind or a place where you can ... gain strenght? Now I wonder:

If it's a shelter, what's it gonna use the Forresters? What does Duncan intend to do with a citadel somewhere beyond the wall? Will they huddle up there and hide from the Whitehills?

Also, "a place filled with great power" sounds like it would go against ASOIAF lore and Martin's sparse use of magic.

Also, "The North Grove must never be lost" - why should it get lost now of all times?

I just hope it .... makes sense.

Comments

• It's guarded by some sort of Ice Dragon, too. Episode 6 is named "The Ice Dragon".

While Ice Dragons are actually a canon creature, I think the North Grove's ice dragon could be a human character whose title is "the Ice Dragon." Maybe a long-lost Targaryen or Blackfyre or something.

• you should rule out the Blackfyres, unless there's also a holy grail stuck in there too

JakeSt123 posted: »

It's guarded by some sort of Ice Dragon, too. Episode 6 is named "The Ice Dragon". While Ice Dragons are actually a canon creature, I thi

• It could just be a large rock that is in the shape of a dragon, and covered in snow, or the entrance of a cave, with icicles around it, like teeth, and thus resembles the mouth of a dragon.

It's guarded by some sort of Ice Dragon, too. Episode 6 is named "The Ice Dragon". While Ice Dragons are actually a canon creature, I thi

• And their motto is "Iron from Ice" right? Maybe bringing back part of the Ice Dragon (if it's not a person) is what makes trees turn into ironwood when you water them.

• edited March 2015

Alt text

Why not? It's in the north, it's a tree, it is filled and protected with great power(the children, the old dude/varg who told Bran that he won't be able to walk but he would be able to fly, Bran=Ice Dragon...why not? Bran is a varg so he enters the mind of this ice dragon?) It would be so EPIC. xD XD

• At this point in the story Bran has only just gone beyond the wall, remember he was at Craster's Keep when Jon and the Nights Watch arrive, I think that would be a bit of stretch considering that Lord Forrester had known about the Grove for decades.

What if Finn's 'witches that turn children into giants' is more along the right lines. Perhaps the North Grove is home to the White Walkers, turning children into the dead?

• Well it is called the north GROVE. I think it is supposed to have forest or at least a tree, and the white walkers's place isn't exactly filled with trees. But I don't know. Telltale always surprises us in very strange ways. So I'm expacting anything. :D

thornboosh posted: »

At this point in the story Bran has only just gone beyond the wall, remember he was at Craster's Keep when Jon and the Nights Watch arrive,

• I thought of the creature too initially, but after a quick search I found an interesting constellation.

• Yes, i believe the 'Ice Dragon' refers to the constellation, which is like the Northern Star of Westeros. I believe it is part of the directions, not something that will be found in the North Grove.

ninoobz posted: »

I thought of the creature too initially, but after a quick search I found an interesting constellation.

• We have no idea what the 'white walkers place' looks like or has anything to do with, we hardly know anything about them. We see them walking through the Haunted Forest and that's about it, aside from the fact we 'think' they come from the Land of Always Winter. Which I'm pretty sure would have trees like any other place on earth or planetos or whatever.

FetchWalker posted: »

Well it is called the north GROVE. I think it is supposed to have forest or at least a tree, and the white walkers's place isn't exactly fil

• I think its more than just a fortification. There's something there that will help the Forresters other than just a getaway, I'm just not sure what yet.

• I don't know. But I don't think there is anything that might help us at this place. And what ninoobz wrote about the Ice Dragon will might actually be true. There won't be any dragon, but it'll be a constellation that will help us through the way. Hear the weirwoods whisper? The children are the guardians of the forest and they might be the whisperers, right?

Arya_Stupid posted: »

We have no idea what the 'white walkers place' looks like or has anything to do with, we hardly know anything about them. We see them walkin

Sign in to comment in this discussion.