What're Cotter's motives to get to the North Grove?

We have an idea of why Gerad needs to get to the North Grove, but why was Cotter adamant on tagging along. I could see him promising Gerad guidance through the north until he found the other free-folk but he wants to find this place too. My understanding is that the dragon's eye is the most important thing about this place, but if there's only one won't they have to fight for it?

Comments

• North Grove is actually a pile of potatoes, that's why Cotter wants to find it.

• I wouldnt be surprised. The north grove has been a huge stack of potatoes stashed away.

Pipas posted: »

North Grove is actually a pile of potatoes, that's why Cotter wants to find it.

• edited March 2015

It's a pile of the sexiest potatoes in all of Westeros.

I wouldnt be surprised. The north grove has been a huge stack of potatoes stashed away.

• He wants it for Mance Rayder.

• I also think he wants it for his people or his own personal gain. He has no reason to show any real alliegence with Garred unless he can convince Garred to become a wildling.

And once again it seems they may take another moment from the Stark's storyline and throw it on the Forrester. I except some Garred/Wildling interaction just like Jon Snow.

• edited March 2015

I except some Garred/Wildling interaction just like Jon Snow.

Alt text

I also think he wants it for his people or his own personal gain. He has no reason to show any real alliegence with Garred unless he can con

• I think its basically just because of what he said - he wants to return home to the Wildlings, and since Gared and him are friends he is willing to help him on the way. That's not to say he may have a personal motive in it. After all, he is a thief and who knows what the North Grove holds?

• He is obviously working for Mance or some other group of wildings.I think he also really does want to help Gared to a degree.

• His loyalty obviously lies with the Wildlings [or maybe even with himself]. If the Wildlings are to march towards the Wall soon, Cotter may want to find the North Grove with Gared's help so that he can use it for his people's advantage later, maybe move up a few ranks within them.

He figures, if whatever the North Grove possesses is strong enough to keep Gared's house from ruin, it may be used for the free folk's cause instead,gaining him Mance's favor in the process. And so he betrays Gared when they get there using his map.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.