You and 84%...

... agreed to break your vows and find the North Grove.

(Um, actually I didn't. First time Duncan tried to convince me I told him that I just took my vows, second time I accidentally stayed silent, but anyway...) It's not like that choice really matters, does it? Seems like you have to desert either way because you're gonna get your head chopped otherwise, or at least that's how I interpret the preview for the next episode.

Comments

• Yea, leaving the Night's Watch is likely gonna be inevitable. I agreed to break my vows anyway, so killing Britt was just an unforeseen good event during it.

• Yeah, I didn't say I'd break my vow. I asked if there was a way to keep my vow and find the North Grove because breaking my vow is the last thing I want to do (in character, of course).

• It did feel good, even if I chose to walk away. This time.

Yea, leaving the Night's Watch is likely gonna be inevitable. I agreed to break my vows anyway, so killing Britt was just an unforeseen good event during it.

• Its probably going to be one of those things like if you wanted to go with Lily. Regardless of which side you chose the story demands you go a certain route

• Same. I actually played Gared as someone who took his vows seriously and was hoping to help House Forrester without breaking them. Shame that won't be possible.

JazzyTheMan posted: »

Yeah, I didn't say I'd break my vow. I asked if there was a way to keep my vow and find the North Grove because breaking my vow is the last thing I want to do (in character, of course).

• Actually, I think it depends on the last choice you have with Duncan.

Either 'Tell everyone Gared Tuttle has taken the job', something else (both mean you agreed to break your vows) or 'I can't break my vows, uncle'.

I'm guessing the choices before it don't matter.

• I was one of the 16%.

I left the coal boy as well. Minority choices rule!

• edited March 2015

Which is why I thought about rewinding to rectify that. But like I said, I don't think what you tell Duncan is going to matter. In the end you're fucked regardless because Frostfinger wants your head for the incident with Britt, which leaves you no choice but to desert, so you're breaking your vows either way.

Actually, I think it depends on the last choice you have with Duncan. Either 'Tell everyone Gared Tuttle has taken the job', something el

• Even if you decide not to break them, you're forced to kill Britt and inevitably go on the run.

Actually, I think it depends on the last choice you have with Duncan. Either 'Tell everyone Gared Tuttle has taken the job', something el

• edited March 2015

It's funny that if you agree to break the Night Watch's vows, Duncan says "I always admired your sense of honor, Gared."

I'm pretty sure breaking the Night Watch's vows is one of the most dishonorable things one can do in the GoT universe. It'd pretty much stain your reputation forever, if you're not caught and beheaded.

At this point if he breaks his vows, Gared's only option to stay alive is remaining north of the Wall.

• Wow. Heartless...being an admirer of Carver, I like that!

I was one of the 16%. I left the coal boy as well. Minority choices rule!

• Duncan makes a big point of there not being any other choice than deserting to find the North Grove. I'm sure if Gared was smart enough he could get himself 'lost' and separated from the group on his way to Craster's or even fake his death, go and find the North Grove and then come back to the Wall. They'd have no reason to disbelieve him if he came back. They'll assume he's just a terrible ranger, not a deserter. And they don't have enough men to be executing anyone for that, even if it's in question. Jon did basically the same thing. The reason they didn't just execute him instantly is because he came back to the Wall.

• I guess that's where telling people in the Night's Watch about the North Grove would play a part.

If they know you intend to search for it, they'd assume you deserted to do that, instead of being lost.

Duncan makes a big point of there not being any other choice than deserting to find the North Grove. I'm sure if Gared was smart enough he c

• Why would Gared as a character even want to keep his vows? was forced to do it anyways

• I refused to break my vows in my main playthrough (the fact that Duncan wasn't mad at me makes me admire him even more). I just couldn't stand the thought of betraying Finn and Cotter. However, now I'm going to be executed for the thing I never wanted to do and Cotter is willing to help - it's practically the first time when I like how Telltale forces me to do something. Still, I wish there was a chance not to kill Britt, but... I'm kind of grateful to him for forcing me to desert :ь

• I was thinking that Gared might fake his death during the raid on Craster's Keep and leave to find the North Grove considering 5 unnamed brothers were killed on the mission (according to GoTwiki), and the bodies were likely burnt beyond recognition as the Keep was set on fire.

• Well, most people aren't there voluntarily. Doesn't mean they won't want to keep their vows once they're committed.

Why would Gared as a character even want to keep his vows? was forced to do it anyways

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited March 2015

"No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

I think this is a good example for what Jaime had said. Some will say that family comes first, others will claim that the vows you had taken as a man of the Night's Watch are the most important thing, that they are your family. But those are words, and he has a family in crisis.

Besides, it's not like he's a complete deserter by going to find the North Grove, he can just go there and come back, saying he got lost while going beyond the wall. It's not like Jon didn't have sex with Ygritte, and even though it's not technically prohibited, we all know he did it knowing he was breaking his vows.

Either way, their man-made vows are meaningless, the whole point of the rules that their imaginary world has been based upon were to establish order in the chaos of anarchy. Baelish was right, it's all just an illusion.

• i didnt care about the vow actually. because they killed gared's family and he was defending himself. and i went there to save house forresters, if gared died but did what he promised his uncle then so be it. yes i know that there will be consequences but its worth a shot.

• Same. I swear I don't do that intentionally but somehow I always end up in the minority.

I was one of the 16%. I left the coal boy as well. Minority choices rule!

• He wasn't forced to say his vows. He could've left at any time before saying them and struck out on his own. What happens after that is up in the air. I'd assume that the Whitehills would find him and kill him. Still, nobody is forced to say the words. It's an oath and oaths must be freely given or they don't have meaning. He said the words and now he has to honor them. I'm going to try my best to have Gared keep his vows. I like people who honor their word. I really hope Telltale gives us an option in this regard.

Why would Gared as a character even want to keep his vows? was forced to do it anyways

Sign in to comment in this discussion.