Gwyn's accent.....

Comments

• Well even so, it did come off rather condescending.

Yep. This is an American website, so my first guess was these guys were American.

• edited March 2015

That's how some people read things ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Well even so, it did come off rather condescending.

• There is no Australia or England in the world of Westeros and Essos. But if you want to harp on real-world accents, Robb sounds Scottish, while Sansa sounds southern English. Many people would say that Scotland and England are separate countries.

Regardless, Robb and Sansa should have the same accent, but they don't, and no one cares. Therefore, it shouldn't matter in the slightest that Gwynn Whitehill's accent is "different" from her family's, whatever her family's accent is.

Oh now I see why you said "Why not?" Er, nooo I'm not reaching you just want to be right no matter what here. Yes, they do have differe

• Cooool. Think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Brn2bwild posted: »

There is no Australia or England in the world of Westeros and Essos. But if you want to harp on real-world accents, Robb sounds Scottish, w

• Yes, you apparently disagree with all the rest of us.

Cooool. Think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

• Literally never said they spoke with Australian accents? Or even mentioned Australian?

You think an Australian accent fits in with her family?

• I actually agree with you on this one. Robb definitely sounds more so Scottish than the rest of his family. He could sound different any number of reasons, but in reality that slight off set of his accent compared to his family is minute. None of my family sounds even remotely alike, haha.

I honestly didn't hear much if at all a difference from Gwyn compared to the rest of the whitehills except that she's more feminine. Whatever the reason may be, loved this response.

There is no Australia or England in the world of Westeros and Essos. But if you want to harp on real-world accents, Robb sounds Scottish, w

• She's cool. Wasn't she Auntie Greenleaf?

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

You could just ignore the topic. And it's certainly not like making a topic takes more than a minute.

• I just found out she was in TWAU TFTB and now GOT. She really gets around

Green613 posted: »

it's some really poor voice acting HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT LAURA BAILEY LIKE THAT, SHAME ON YOU

• edited March 2015

Pssssh nahh Laura Baely>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything or anyone ever. Lol my ex looked just like her could never make her wince this much ;););)

Alt text

• I agree. While I'm a huge fan of Laura Bailey, her accent in this game sounds weird and forced to me. But I suppose that's forgivable. Hardly a thing of key importance.

• Laura Bailey is one of my favorite VOs, and she can generally pull off a perfect British accent. However, the characters in this game (especially the Whitehills) have Yorkshire accents, and to even the most skilled Yank that specific type is gonna be hard to reproduce. She sounds alright towards the end of sentences, but in between ends up sounding Australian.

• I believe the reason for it was that Robb and Jon spent more time with Ned as kids, and therefore would have been more likely to pick up his accent. The younger kids and the girls would've spent more time with Catelyn who had a more common British accent, and therefore would've picked it up from her.

And Robb and Jon were raised to speak like gutter trash? Robb was raised to speak like a lord. Sansa was raised to speak like a lady. T

• The same goes for several other voice actors, and her grasp of the accent isn't substantially worse. Besides, at least she's trying to sound Northern. I confess I've never seriously attempted to do an accent I'm unfamiliar with in front of an audience before, but I imagine the temptation is to just say "screw it" and switch to something more comfortable.

Also, it's Game of Thrones. If the show is anything to go by, accents aren't particularly important. People in Pentos, Qarth, and King's Landing all sound the same for god's sake.

• Yeah, why not ignore it? My aim is that Telltale would get some kind of feedback, because that's why these things exist!

• edited March 2015

Fun fact: The actor playing Robb is Scottish, it's called "slipping"

@ Brn2bwild How so? Other people below seem to be agreeing with me too.

Now, to reiterate: Her accent is terrible. Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to tell this, which seems to threaten you somehow. Sorry :)

kh4l33si posted: »

I actually agree with you on this one. Robb definitely sounds more so Scottish than the rest of his family. He could sound different any num

• Then you missed the point of what I was saying ¯_(ツ)_/¯

No, but you never said anything about regional accents. You said something about American-Australian, and even I hear the difference betw

• Yep. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed. Then some people decided to go off on a tangent about completely other things with overly long replies. The internet's fun.

I agree. While I'm a huge fan of Laura Bailey, her accent in this game sounds weird and forced to me. But I suppose that's forgivable. Hardly a thing of key importance.

• Which is strange to begin with. So many game/movies use English accents for medieval France, Italy, etc... I don't see why they have to sort of... dumb it down for Americans by basically equating English accents with the whole of Europe, especially the rhotic ones where natives sound closer to Americans already than English (i.e. Scandinavians, Finns, Germans, etc)

They're not. But it's a medieval type show which traditionally consists of English accents. GoT has Scottish, Irish and others too. In this case the actress was going for an English accent and did a poor job.

• edited March 2015

Yeah, it bothered me a lot back in Episode 2, to a point where I decided just not to listen to Gwyn's speech and just read the subtitles.

I know that Laura Bailey is quite a big name among the VAs nowadays, but she can't pull a good English/British accent.

For people who make an argument "Westerosi doesn't equal English", then why in the actual fuck do almost all Westerosi speak with a variety of English (like, exactly from England) accents? Why did Telltale hire a plethora of English VAs to do the job? Sorry to break it to you, but Andal language equals English in AGoT, period. Treat it as an Anglo-Saxon language.

• *fistbump

Lingvort posted: »

Yeah, it bothered me a lot back in Episode 2, to a point where I decided just not to listen to Gwyn's speech and just read the subtitles.

• edited March 2015

You're the one who keeps bringing up being threatened. I'm sorry that accents from a fictional world bother you so much.

Robb's "slips" are too consistent to be accidents.

Fun fact: The actor playing Robb is Scottish, it's called "slipping" @ Brn2bwild How so? Other people below seem to be agreeing with me

• Catelyn (in the show) doesn't have a standard southern English accent, though. Michelle Fairley's accent sounds quite Northern Irish, not surprisingly.

ranger563 posted: »

I believe the reason for it was that Robb and Jon spent more time with Ned as kids, and therefore would have been more likely to pick up his

• edited March 2015

[removed]

You're the one who keeps bringing up being threatened. I'm sorry that accents from a fictional world bother you so much. Robb's "slips" are too consistent to be accidents.

• edited March 2015

[removed]

• Have you ever heard a northern irish accent? It sounds like this...

which I think you'll agree is pretty far removed for Catelyn's.

Catelyn (in the show) doesn't have a standard southern English accent, though. Michelle Fairley's accent sounds quite Northern Irish, not surprisingly.

• Alright guys, let's leave the off-topic arguments out of here and get back on topic, please. Thanks.

• Thanks.

Alright guys, let's leave the off-topic arguments out of here and get back on topic, please. Thanks.

• I thought and thought and thought where I heard that voice before and it struck me: Serana in the Skyrim Dawnguard DLC. Kinda off-topic, I know, but my mind was blown.

• Regardless, she doesn't sound like she's southern English, which rules out the theory that Sansa picked up her accent from her, as unlikely as that would be anyway.

ranger563 posted: »

Have you ever heard a northern irish accent? It sounds like this... which I think you'll agree is pretty far removed for Catelyn's.

• [removed]

Yep. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed. Then some people decided to go off on a tangent about completely other things with overly long replies. The internet's fun.

• Where do I study westerosi English?

Ha, and I love how you went and got so defensive about it. My point was that you can't seem to tell what an authentic accent sounds like. My guess was that you weren't from anywhere near the country, and surprise, I was right.

• You must hate Peter Dinklage, then.

Lingvort posted: »

• edited March 2015

I LIKE Laura Bailey. She's brilliant, but her accent in this is God awful, before I knew it was her I thought they had cast an Australian. I'm from Birmingham, and my partner is from Yorkshire, I have family in the North and South of England, as well as Ireland. I'm pretty good at identifying accents, but I have no idea what Laura is trying to achieve here...

Green613 posted: »

it's some really poor voice acting HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT LAURA BAILEY LIKE THAT, SHAME ON YOU

• Valid point. But as my family is from Birmingham, if my brother and father spoke with a Birmingham accent, and my sister spoke with a Scottish one, it would make no sense what so ever. that's the problem here.

It's an accent. Who cares? Contrary to popular belief, Westerosi does not equal English.

• edited March 2015

Hundreds of years ago here in upper class England, ladies were raised to be ladies, and men were raised to be men. This would lead to the females being more polished in their inflection. The women would learn to read and write poetry, or play the piano, learn another language. The men would take work, take a commission in the army or the militiaetc. More than likely this is how it was with the Starks.

And Robb and Jon were raised to speak like gutter trash? Robb was raised to speak like a lord. Sansa was raised to speak like a lady. T

Sign in to comment in this discussion.