Theories on the Ice Dragon

So I have been thinking on what the Ice Dragon could be and I thought of this theory that maybe the Ice Dragon is a Targaryen in the far North. Now I have no idea which Targaryen but I think that this is more likely than an actual Ice Dragon.

Comments

• I think it's a constellation. In the show the "ice dragon" was mentioned a few times as a constellation which will guide you through the north. But it could be smth else...

• edited April 2015

In the show the "ice dragon" was mentioned a few times as a constellation which will guide you through the north.

When?

FetchWalker posted: »

I think it's a constellation. In the show the "ice dragon" was mentioned a few times as a constellation which will guide you through the north. But it could be smth else...

• edited April 2015

Oops sorry I meant the books. I've searched on the internet too and :

The Sworn Sword

On the way to Standfast with his squire Egg, Dunk looks up to the night sky and sees his familiar friends, the various star constellations, one of which is the Ice Dragon. There are clouds in the north so the dragon's blue eye is obscured.

A Clash of Kings

When Bran asks the wildling woman Osha how to get to the Wall and beyond she tells him to "look for the Ice Dragon", and chase the blue star in the rider's eye.

A Storm of Swords

During their journey to the Wall, when Bran and his companions lost their way a few times, they needed only to wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up at the sky for the Ice Dragon. Bran remembers that the blue star in the dragon’s eye points the way north, as Osha had told him once.
    The night before the planned attempt by the wildlings to scale the Wall Jon Snow goes to look for Ghost, he looks at the stars and thinks that he is old friends with the Ice Dragon.
    Trying to get back to the Wall from Craster's Keep with Gilly and her babe Samwell Tarly follows the Ice Dragon's tail on clear nights to ensure that they keep going south.

I think it is mentioned in the show but I'm not sure. I'll chek :D

In the show the "ice dragon" was mentioned a few times as a constellation which will guide you through the north. When?

• Hey, that's pretty interesting I never noticed.

I guess that pretty much confirms it being a constellation of stars.

• keeping FetchWalker's post into consideration, I think it's either a place with extra store of ironwood or a place where someone/something that can lead to more is. aren't we running low?

• this is great info! thank you!

• Interesting points. SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE NOT INTIMATELY FAMILIAR WITH THE BOOKS:

I know there is a distinct possibility of a Targaryen already in the North. Why, he's appeared in this game, even. :)

• HA. love it. never been sure about that theory myself.

• Awesome info! I figure a constellation leading to the North Grove is the most realistic idea

• A Lot of people on the boards over at Westeros think that the Ice Dragon, along with being a constellation (somewhat alike our own Northern Star), is a reference to Jon Snow, and his lineage.

If the theories of his parentage are true, as I believe (R+L=J) -
    He is one of the Only children, (if not the only one), to have been born of a Stark and a Targaeryan. Of Ice and Fire.

Hence the Ice Dragon.

• I think it is a massive mother plucking dragon guarding the north grove.

• ice dragon is luke reincarnated after drowning in the ice

#confirmed

• Or it isn't really a dragon but a massive talking mammoth! Named Ser Mandy!

• edited April 2015

Alt text

loomynaty confirmed.

dinofire posted: »

ice dragon is luke reincarnated after drowning in the ice #confirmed

• Maybe an order, like the Green Men, and the leader has a Valyrian sword named the Ice Dragon

• I consider this a theory in the same way gravity is a theory :p Honestly its as good as confirmed at this point, just not explicitly in the text. GRRM says he regrets leaving so many hints in book 1, so i reckon he'll change things up slightly, for example perhaps Lyanna had twins..

ellatheon posted: »

HA. love it. never been sure about that theory myself.

• edited April 2015

Another Targ (bastard) is chilling out north of the wall, he appeared in the season 4 finale

Edit: also I forgot about Aemon, so theres at least 3 dragonspawn in the North!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.