Why I think Royland is the traitor...

What do you think the truth is to Royland's absence when Ramsay arrives? He claims that he was watching the Bolton men outside, but previously during the small council meeting with Ethan, he expresses that Ramsay cannot be negotiated with and that he is a man that only understands only force. So by that logic a forceful and radical man like Ramsay would cause Ethan to need some sort of protection. Also, a dozen Bolton men enter the great hall armed while the negotiations take place. So where was Royland if he was "keeping an eye on the Bolton men"? He never gave the men any protest for entering the great hall with spears and swords. Why? He either wasn't there because he was off conspiring, or he wanted Ethan to die. Any loyal man-at-arms would have at least put up some sort of fight against the threat and intrusion, but Royland doesn't end up with a scratch. Plus he gives crappy, destructive counsel...

Comments

• The same could be said about Duncan.

Also, Royland in Episode 3, if Rodrik allows it, messes up two Whitehill men.

• I haven't played both sides, is Duncan present if you make Royland your sentinel?

The same could be said about Duncan. Also, Royland in Episode 3, if Rodrik allows it, messes up two Whitehill men.

• When Royland is Sentinel he is in the hall with everyone when Ethan dies, and Duncan is the one suspiciously not there. So unless the traitor is based on who wasn't picked as Sentinel, then I don't think it is either Duncan or Royland.

• Well there goes my theory... I still don't like his counsel though

MisterGusty posted: »

When Royland is Sentinel he is in the hall with everyone when Ethan dies, and Duncan is the one suspiciously not there. So unless the traitor is based on who wasn't picked as Sentinel, then I don't think it is either Duncan or Royland.

• That's fair enough, I don't particularly like Duncan's advice much myself, he's more concerned with appeasement rather than action IMO

Well there goes my theory... I still don't like his counsel though

• Nope. He's gone.

I haven't played both sides, is Duncan present if you make Royland your sentinel?

• It may be neither of them. What are your thoughts/theories on it being the maester or the mother?

That's fair enough, I don't particularly like Duncan's advice much myself, he's more concerned with appeasement rather than action IMO

• While some think it to be too obvious, I would say that the Maester is the most likely traitor on the small council. Royland seems too honourable, Duncan while suspicious at times, seems to be pretty loyal also Gregor trusted him, Lady Forrester might have motive, to try and get Ryon back, but considering you can make plans to save Ryon, I don't see why she would tell the Whitehills, especially when rescuing Ryon was her idea, so that leaves the Measter.

Ortengryn, counsels you in the first episode, to just give the Whitehills all the ironwood, and also talks about how when he sees Ironwood all he sees is gold. Gwyn said that they have detailed info on Rodriks injuries, which the Measter would know the most about, and Maesters are in charge of sending ravens, so he would easily be able to send info without anyone suspecting it. Also he apparently has only been assigned to the Forresters recently so he isn't necessarily loyal to the house.

If it's not him then I will be surprised as the others don't have any motives that I can see, but who knows, it is Game of Thrones after all.

It may be neither of them. What are your thoughts/theories on it being the maester or the mother?

• True, Ortengryn also wanted to serve at the Eyrie but was ASSIGNED to Ironrath (unwillingly?) It makes me distrust his loyalty.

While some think it to be too obvious, I would say that the Maester is the most likely traitor on the small council. Royland seems too hono

• He says he was keeping an eye on the Bolton men if he isn't sentinel. Duncan doesn't have an excuse if he isn't sentinel.

• If you Tell Royland to "take him" after Gryff knocks you down he will fight 2 Whitehill men before he is overwhelmed

I haven't played both sides, is Duncan present if you make Royland your sentinel?

• edited April 2015

At least Royland has an excuse for being absent. He was in the barracks.

Duncan's just all "ETHAN SENPAI DIDN'T NOTICE ME"

• Exactly, at least Royland made himself useful somewhere else. Duncan gets all butt hurt and bails on you.

At least Royland has an excuse for being absent. He was in the barracks. Duncan's just all "ETHAN SENPAI DIDN'T NOTICE ME"

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited April 2015

The only reason I'm suspicious of Royland is because he's the only council member Gared can't optionally tell about the North Grove, and if we're going by the logic of no real story divulging paths in Telltale games, then we'd have to assume that Royland is the traitor since we have no current evidence that the Whitehills know. Although I'm also wary of the maester since he's the only one Duncan doesn't trust.

• I sear its that creepy maestor

When Royland is Sentinel he is in the hall with everyone when Ethan dies, and Duncan is the one suspiciously not there. So unless the traitor is based on who wasn't picked as Sentinel, then I don't think it is either Duncan or Royland.

• edited April 2015

While, I don't deny his potential of being the traitor, I am having a really hard time picturing Royland as the traitor because that's not his character.

In episode 1, he always speak his mind and is blunt about his opinion on Ethan, calling him a milksop. While not nice, he is at least honest about it. He is honest about his desire to fight the Whitehills and his hotheaded nature also shows his honesty as he is clearly affected by Ethan's dead. Try and compare the Ethan's death scene with Duncan and Royland, I can assure you, you can clearly hear a noticeable differences. Duncan has a subtle grief while Royland was outright shouting. Also, while the Whitehills quickly restrained Duncan, the Whitehills has to use force to stop Royland while he was attempting to go to Ethan's side.

In episode 2 and 3, Royland maintain this attitude. He is still a hot-head but he is always honest about his desire to fight the Whitehills. I don't think he would intentionally sabotage their plans to fight the Whitehills as he seems like the type that wants to win the fight. During the climax of episode 3, Rodrik can order Royland to stand down or fight the Whitehills even though he has no chance. He would listen to both order. He also say this line about Rodrik to Gryff.

Even broken, he is twice the man you are.

So yeah, I don't really believe that Royland is the traitor.

• Royland is my favourite character on the council although he's not my sentinel I trust him the most. I find it difficult to see him as the traitor he's a great and honorable man and although he disagreed with him multiple times he's clearly affected by Ethan's death. I have no doubt of his loyalty to house Forrester even more so then Duncan. While I don't deny the possibility I do not believe Royland is the traitor.

• He also shows the most emotion at the funeral aside from the family members. Not really evidence but his character is so open. He did used to be a knight to someone though...who was it again?
    Maybe he still harbours loyalty to them?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.