Educate me (NOTE: BOOK SPOILERS!)

I'm only on the first book, but Lyanna's abduction was talked about in the series (although with less detail) and I want to know more about it.

Why did Rhaegar Targaryen abduct and rape Lyanna Stark? I know he crowned her "Queen of Love and Beauty" over his own wife at the Harrenhal tourney, but an attraction to her doesn't seem like it would be the only motive.

When Ned and Howland Reed came to rescue Lyanna during Robert's Rebellion, it's said that she died. How and why did she die?

Comments

• I'm only on the first book,

I'd keep going I dont wanna ruin it. A lot of the stuff surrounding this is fan theories however later books reveal some things.

• edited April 2015

Rhaegar was a man obssessed with prophecy, and the dragon needed a third head. Elia Martell wouldn't survive a third pregnancy, so he looked elsewhere (perhaps with Elia's permission, paramours being a Dornish thing and all). Lyanna died in a "bed of blood" at the Tower of Joy. The common assumption is that bed of blood refers to childbirth, which fits with the whole "Promse me, Ned" thing.

Keep reading, you'll learn snippets about it as you go, from a variety of characters who disagree about the specifics.

Edit: And as Firewallcano says, the childbirth is only a theory. The whole thing is intentionally vague.

• edited April 2015

This.

It's one of those events that are danced around and blurred by a dozen perspectives that, for now, is mostly down to fan theory and on who's word you trust to decide what and why it all happened.

Rhaegar was a man obssessed with prophecy, and the dragon needed a third head. Elia Martell wouldn't survive a third pregnancy, so he looked

• The beginning of Roberts Rebellion is one of the periods of recent history in Westeros that I'm sure everyone wants to know more about.

There is scant info on that period in the books, and what there is, seems suspect, aside from the bold strokes of what happened that is. Definately pay close attention as you're reading. But, there is a short chapter on the apparent 'kidnapping' of Lyanna and some other details of that time just after the Tourney at Harrenhal, in the World of Ice and Fire book.

One of my favorite chapters in there, but don't get too excited because we still don't know if it's an entirely accurate account either. As it was written by a Maester who was definitely not present for the events, for King Robert and then Joffrey then Tommen.

• Basically, R+L=J.

I won't say more than that.

• Basically, the reader doesn't know anything for certain. Even after having read all the released books and the chapters pre-released from the next book, I have no idea what really happened with Lyanna.

• The circumstances behind the kidnapping is still rather unknown. All we know is that Rhaegar only have two children and according to a prophecy there must be three. Beside some other reasons, which I don't want to spoil, I don't know why Rhaegar choose to kidnap Lyanna.

• edited April 2015

We'll never truly know unless there's a chapter on Howland Reed, there's a flashback chapter with Ned or one of the characters looks into what happened in the tower of Joy through means of magic.

Edit: although r+l=j is a popular theory and the most commonly accepted amongst fans.

• The third child thing makes sense. I read that Viserys blames the whole thing on Daenerys being born too late, otherwise Rhaegar could have married her.

Rhaegar was a man obssessed with prophecy, and the dragon needed a third head. Elia Martell wouldn't survive a third pregnancy, so he looked

• I heard that theory, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Lingvort posted: »

Basically, R+L=J. I won't say more than that.

• It makes a lot of sense once you put the clues together. IMO, it's the most sensible (and plausible) theory out there.

I heard that theory, it makes a lot of sense to me.

• edited April 2015

Howland Reed is the only person left who knows the truth of it all. So until he shows up, we're not gonna know the truth.

• And the most cheesy and fairytale-like.

Lingvort posted: »

It makes a lot of sense once you put the clues together. IMO, it's the most sensible (and plausible) theory out there.

• I imagine Benjen would want to know how his sister died, I dont think Ned would have told him about Jon but its possible he worked it out himelf like the readers have. And i guess needs to be alive to reveal anything... Its still a possibility

Howland Reed is the only person left who knows the truth of it all. So until he shows up, we're not gonna know the truth.

• If Ned wouldn't tell Cat, I don't think he would tell Benjen either.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

I imagine Benjen would want to know how his sister died, I dont think Ned would have told him about Jon but its possible he worked it out himelf like the readers have. And i guess needs to be alive to reveal anything... Its still a possibility

• I dont think Ned would break his promise and tell him, but Benjen might have come to his own conclusions. Cat barely knew Ned, but Benjen was present at the tourney of Harrenhal and knows Ned would never father a bastard on some wet nurse or kitchen wench. But yes Howland Reed is the only living person who knows the whole truth

If Ned wouldn't tell Cat, I don't think he would tell Benjen either.

• Who doesn't love a little cheese time to time? :)

The in-universe assumption that his mother is just some random woman would be pretty anti-climatic.

rousseau posted: »

And the most cheesy and fairytale-like.

• Well Bran might find out.

I dont think Ned would break his promise and tell him, but Benjen might have come to his own conclusions. Cat barely knew Ned, but Benjen wa

• Another mystery....what happened to Benjen? I refuse to believe he died.

I also think your theory of Benjen working it out for himself is pretty plausible. Ned comments on how similar in looks and spirit Arya is to Lyanna. It's also said that Arya and Jon look the most alike in the books. I think Benjen may have seen that. Hmm....

I imagine Benjen would want to know how his sister died, I dont think Ned would have told him about Jon but its possible he worked it out himelf like the readers have. And i guess needs to be alive to reveal anything... Its still a possibility

• It's also sort of implied that Rhaegar didn't abduct Lyanna rather she went willingly. Lyanna was a free spirit and said to have "wolf blood" much like Arya meaning its plausible to believe she would go with Rhaegar forsaking her responsibilities (Betrothal to Robert) and it was well documented she wasn't very fond of Robert either. Also it's unlikely that she would be the type of person to be held hostage for nine months and Rhaegar wasn't a lustful man stated by Eddard Stark himself.

• edited April 2015

This guy(Preston Jacobs) gives a lot of info and his own theories on it in these videos and maybe some other ones also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-u2gUM4Vvc&list=PLCsx_OFEYH6un7-8efHOg-UL5WdQ9gLSN

• I know. It's just that every story about a bastard protagonist ends that way. It's getting old. Might have been less worn out when he started to write the first book.

Who doesn't love a little cheese time to time? The in-universe assumption that his mother is just some random woman would be pretty anti-climatic.

• Yes, the fact that Eddard Stark never once thinks badly of Rhaegar, is why i believe that Lyanna went willingly, and Ned has confirmed this for himself. He knew his sister well, and his conversations with Arya in King's Landing prove this i think. His sadness for Lyanna's fate and worry over Arya's similarities to her and her wildness are quite apparent.

It's also sort of implied that Rhaegar didn't abduct Lyanna rather she went willingly. Lyanna was a free spirit and said to have "wolf blood

• Yeah i don't think we've seen the last of him! The Starks seem to have plenty of history connecting them to the Others, perhaps even sharing a bloodline through the Night's King. Kings of Winter, the original greatsword Ice... Perhaps 'Winter is Coming' was once used as a threat, rather than a warning. Perhaps Benjen will be bringing winter south with the Others!

Another mystery....what happened to Benjen? I refuse to believe he died. I also think your theory of Benjen working it out for himself is

Sign in to comment in this discussion.