We all know who the traitor is...

edited April 2015 in Game Of Thrones

So I know there have been quite a few threads made about this already, but I feel a lot of the points made in them were minute...

Duncan: First of all, everyone seems to think Duncan is suspicious but to me he seems to be the least likely person to betray the Forresters. He is the obvious choice for Sentinel even though Roylands a badass. He is the only person who Lord Forrester trusted with the information regarding the North Grove, which he is pursuing because he WANTS TO HELP THEM. He genuinely seems to care. Some could argue this makes him more likely for the "shock factor" but to be frank that'd be stupid.

Royland: He's obviously very protective of the Forresters, and therefore I simply do not believe it to be him. He hates the Whitehills, and he's a man of force and action not the "sneak around behind someones back" type. I'd suspect him if they didn't give you the option to make him Sentinel simply for the idea of revenge, but they give you the option to, so no.

Ortengrynn: He's a suspect, but an unlikely one. He's just a Maester and therefore would have very little motives. He seems to be trusted by and cares about the family. It'd also be too obvious and somewhat unshocking to say the least. What could his reasoning possibly be?

Lady Forrester: In my opinion, the culprit. I believe the Whitehills are secretly threatening to harm Ryon, i.e, abuse or possibly even kill him, if she does not work against Roderick. Many say "why would she tell Roderick to go after Ryon if she's the traitor bc contradiction, and she also is telling Roderick to kill all the Whitehills at the funeral." While these are contradictions, it still makes sense.

1. She said they should go after Ryon bc she wants Roderick to prioritize his safety and therefore is trying to reassure herself that he's in Rodericks best interests. Also, killing Gryff or even forcing them out of Ironrath would likely bring harm to Ryon, even with her cooperation.
  2. Of course she wants Roderick to kill them. If they're blackmailing her using Ryon, that's even more of a reason to be angry. It doesn't change the fact that she is still looking out for the safety of her son, and if anything would make her even more furious. The fact is, she's being put in a terrible predicament and being forced to betray one son for the safety of another by the Whitehills.

Talia: Anyone who thinks it's Talia lacks any sort of critical thinking skills(no offense). She wasn't even at the meeting where they made the plan which Gwyn clearly states she knows about. It could be argued that she was told about it or overheard further discussion about it later on, but unlikely. It's more likely they'd try to keep Talia out of the know of any plans as much as possible for the simple fact that she's a young girl and it would only bring her more stress. If it ends up being Talia, I'll lose all faith in the writers over at Telltale and assume they did it just for the "whoa factor."

Given these points, I'm seeking any answers or contradictions anyone may have to clear up what I may not have thought of, or even just thoughts or comments.

Comments

• edited April 2015

Initially I was certain the traitor was Ortengryn, as I reasoned that he possibly resented being assigned to a lower house, and would prefer to save his own skin were the Forresters to fall.

However Lady Forrester has overtaken Ortengryn as my main suspect for mostly the same points you provided, since her past interactions suggest she would do pretty much anything to ensure Ryon's wellbeing (pushing you to kiss Ludd's ring in front of your determinately betrothed, for one). Plus, her reaction to your revelation of the traitor didn't seem...completely genuine.

• Agreed. In fact, she seemed to be a bit alarmed if you mention to her that you met with Gwyn, and then immediately asks what she told you as if she was worried Gwyn might have incriminated her.

dfh15 posted: »

Initially I was certain the traitor was Ortengryn, as I reasoned that he possibly resented being assigned to a lower house, and would prefer

• edited April 2015

If its the mother i'll be surpised if a bit annoyed because its nonsensical, despite some similarities she is not catelyn, she still has the majority of her children with her or not with the opposition and she seems to hate the whitehills more than anyone in that speech at the end of two. She doesnt love ryon more than the others so why would she be counselling violence to rodrik. Also why would she choose to leak a plan involving saving ryon. If that is the long term goal she would give similar advice as gywn and tell rodrik to let them do anything until peace.

Also having another massive similarity to catelyn would make her even more of a carbon copy. As this ruthlessness she has actually begins to separate her from Cat

The only other council member I'd be surprised by is Royland because that would make zero sense

• edited April 2015

I don't see the problem so many have with her having similarities with Catelyn Stark, especially considering they have something in common: they're both mothers. All mothers have a sort of "instinctual" urge to protect their children(if they're decent mothers/human beings). That said, I wouldn't view her as a carbon copy at all if it was her. Furthermore, saying "She doesnt love ryon more than the others" is futile. If she loves Ryon, she'd want to protect him. He's her son. "How much" she loves him would be irrelevant unless she's another Casey Anthony. He's a child and incapable of protecting himself in his situation, whereas Roderick is a grown man and capable of his own survival. He's a child, HER child, and she wants to protect him.

We've also seen her undermine Ethan because she didn't trust him to make his own decision when it came to letting Asher return or not. She seems to be a bit righteous in a sense that she feels she cannot trust her sons to handle family related affairs, she only trusts herself.

You say that she is counselling violence to Roderick(i.e, when her emotions were at her highest, she did indeed tell him that she hopes he kills them all), yet, she then goes back on what she says by trying to get Roderick to kiss Ludd's ring... and why did she ask him to kiss Ludd's ring? Because she wanted to see Ryon.

Someone who is "fierce" and "ruthless" does not simply instruct you to kiss your enemies ring. In medieval times, kissing someone's ring is like the equivalent of blowing them. It's the lowest of the low. Your theory has too many holes, and what I said sounds perfectly sensible to me.

If its the mother i'll be surpised if a bit annoyed because its nonsensical, despite some similarities she is not catelyn, she still has the

• But again the plan is saving ryon..... that she suggests why would she tell the whitehills about that.

Ryanoo posted: »

I don't see the problem so many have with her having similarities with Catelyn Stark, especially considering they have something in common:

• As I stated, it was likely to deter them from acting against Gryff Whitehill which would undoubtedly bring harm to Ryon. She may have also been "feeling things out," i.e, trying to reassure herself that Ryon is still in Rodericks best interests. That said, it's possible that she made the suggestion and meant it at the time, but then upon realizing that attempting a "rescue mission" could also bring harm to Ryon, she backed out. All the while she is trying to remind Roderick of the importance of Ryon's safety.

But again the plan is saving ryon..... that she suggests why would she tell the whitehills about that.

• Why talia :/ she can't hurt a fly,bro she wouldn't even step on a rock :)

• But she can bite a man's hand, and knows how to sword fight. ;)

Anyhow, Ryanoo did say Talia being the traitor is basically impossible. And it is.

Why talia she can't hurt a fly,bro she wouldn't even step on a rock

• Maybe It is Ethan's Ghost cuz ethan was actaully ramsays cousin and made a plan thinking if he killed ethan they could get a witch to talk to ethan ghost cuz ethan would know everything. Makes sense... Right

• Sir, are you quite all there?

Bigboxman posted: »

Maybe It is Ethan's Ghost cuz ethan was actaully ramsays cousin and made a plan thinking if he killed ethan they could get a witch to talk to ethan ghost cuz ethan would know everything. Makes sense... Right

• Dude your missing a suspect....Rodrick. That's right! No one ever expects it to be yourself. Gotta feed that milk from the poppy fix somehow.

• Let's focus on gain/loss and possibility of alliance.

Duncan would gain nothing lose everything and has no reason to ally with the Whitehills.

Lady Forrester depending on your actions would have nothing to gain as well as lose everything, and has no reason to ally with the Whitehills. As soon as Ryon would return home you would know that someone is still leaking information.

The Maester would gain sympathy of the Whitehills, wouldn't lose anything, and would easily change his alliances because he doesn't give a crap.

Royland would gain the Whitehills respect, he has nothing to lose, and he would get their help in fully avenging his family.

• Don't forget Duncan's only family is on the wall. Him and Royland would both gain the same thing. Maybe he sent his nephew to the wall so he'd have no more ties to his house.

LukaszB posted: »

Let's focus on gain/loss and possibility of alliance. Duncan would gain nothing lose everything and has no reason to ally with the Whiteh

• Duncan doesn't gain anything. Everyone knows Gared is at the wall, and Duncan entrusts him on a very secret mission.

sunfell posted: »

Don't forget Duncan's only family is on the wall. Him and Royland would both gain the same thing. Maybe he sent his nephew to the wall so he'd have no more ties to his house.

• Duncan would lose everything and honestly Royland would as well. Ironrath has been his home for years and years now, he's not gonna turn his back on it. The Maester, yeah, would earn the sympathy of the Whitehills and could possibly be their new Maester. Also, Lady Forrester would gain something. She wouldn't have to lose anymore of her children.

Let's focus on gain/loss and possibility of alliance. Duncan would gain nothing lose everything and has no reason to ally with the Whiteh

• Royland is the vengeful type, and would gain vengeance for his family. But than again the Forresters did fight his enemies for a lot longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Royland thought the Whitehills are idiots.

Duncan would lose everything and honestly Royland would as well. Ironrath has been his home for years and years now, he's not gonna turn his

• I'm pretty sure Royland does think the Whitehills are idiots in a sense. Imo Royland and Talia are the least likely to be the traitors, most of the theories surrounding them aren't as strong as the ones surrounding the other characters.

Royland is the vengeful type, and would gain vengeance for his family. But than again the Forresters did fight his enemies for a lot longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Royland thought the Whitehills are idiots.

• My bet would be Maester being the traitor. The Maester would gain a lot, and lose nothing.

I'm pretty sure Royland does think the Whitehills are idiots in a sense. Imo Royland and Talia are the least likely to be the traitors, most of the theories surrounding them aren't as strong as the ones surrounding the other characters.

• I have thought about that before aswell. Kind of like you playing the bad guy all along.

Like in a certain game that I won't mention now because it's too good to be spoiled.

DoubleJump posted: »

Dude your missing a suspect....Rodrick. That's right! No one ever expects it to be yourself. Gotta feed that milk from the poppy fix somehow.

• I was joking, but it would be one hell of a twist since it could be a possibility in a weird backwards way.

I have thought about that before aswell. Kind of like you playing the bad guy all along. Like in a certain game that I won't mention now because it's too good to be spoiled.

• Catelyn and Lady Forrester's situations are nothing alike though...imo she gains nothing by cooperating with the Whitehills. Everyone keeps saying she's a crazy momma bear like Catelyn, but Catelyn was in a straight up FUBAR situation. She overruled Ethan because he was the underage third son, completely unprepared to be a ruler. I would say in that case, yea, she knew best.

If the Whitehills were like "give us info or Ryon gets it" she could just lie. There's no reason for her to divulge the plan to save the very son she's so invested in. She could literally tell them just about anything else that has no repercussions for Ryon, how would they know she's leaving it out?

They've done a good job of making everyone seem kind of shady, though, so it'll be a treat to find out. Royland makes odd comments about his house loyalty if you don't make him sentinel, Duncan is straight up running a covert operation with no one's permission and questionable motives, the maester actively sticks his nose in things that clearly do not concern him, and Lady Forrester gets snippy if you don't spill your guts immediately about the council spy.

It'll probably end up being a servant boy hiding under the floorboards or something, lol.

I don't see the problem so many have with her having similarities with Catelyn Stark, especially considering they have something in common:

• Yes, they made everyone seem kinda untrustworthy, like they wanted us to only focus on these four. But... maybe we should think outside the box and take other possibilites into account. A hawk controlled by a skinchanger that circled above the small council in the forest. Or a Faceless Man who was YOUR MUM ALL ALONG. Or they saw it in the flames! Flippin R'hllor told them!

I don't know if I'm joking or not.

RykaStar posted: »

Catelyn and Lady Forrester's situations are nothing alike though...imo she gains nothing by cooperating with the Whitehills. Everyone keeps

• LOL

Talia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA

• Something else to consider that I forgot to mention. Ludd points out that Lady Whitehill "sent a raven" asking for Ryon to attend the funeral. Gwyn states that the information leaks are being sent via ravens. May not be relevant, but still evidence.

• edited April 2015

If it was Lady Forrester, wouldn't the option to tell her about the traitor be one of the major choices of episode 3?

It wasn't, if I recall correctly. You'd think that revealing to the traitor that you knew of them would have an effect on the narrative big enough to warrant being a major choice.

• What if the traitor is whoever wasn't named Sentinel? It would make the decision actually impact the story...

• The thing that catches me off is that she wasn't told about the North Grove.

If its the mother i'll be surpised if a bit annoyed because its nonsensical, despite some similarities she is not catelyn, she still has the

• decision

impact story

Alt text

prink34320 posted: »

What if the traitor is whoever wasn't named Sentinel? It would make the decision actually impact the story...

• Just because Lady Forrester's main intent is Ryon's safety isn't enough evidence to say she is the traitor. There's no evidence that can be made, only assumptions for any of these.

Duncan is the one Gwyn called for to meet Roderick, Duncan also wants peace similar to what Gwyn wants.

Ser Royland wants to attack the Whitehills which would only cause a war they would not win in.

Duncan or Ser Royland didn't appear by Ethan's side depending on who he chose as Sentinel.

Lady Forrester wasn't intrusted with the secret of The North Grove, she's also the one who sent a Raven to Lord Whitehill

Maester Ortengryn wanted to sell Ironwood to the Whitehills, he's also not originally from House Forrester.

There are reasons to suspect anyone, it's Game of Thrones.

As I stated, it was likely to deter them from acting against Gryff Whitehill which would undoubtedly bring harm to Ryon. She may have also b

• And you'd think the writers would at least be smart enough to not make it obvious by displaying that is was a major choice.

Flog61 posted: »

If it was Lady Forrester, wouldn't the option to tell her about the traitor be one of the major choices of episode 3? It wasn't, if I rec

• I don't think that's fair, Telltale has been listening really closely to their fans for both this game and Tales. Something like what @prink34320 suggested isn't that far fetched.

decision impact story

• Personally because Duncan was the only one Gregor trusted, makes me think he's the MOST likely to be traitor, as we are told to trust him. Everyone else we can make our own opinions about, but we are told specifically to trust him and only him. Which takes some of the suspicion away from him. If Gregor trusted him, he can't be bad, right?
    WRONG
    I doubt it's Royland, that guy is too fiercely loyal to the house.
    It could be the Maester, I hope it's not, because I like the guy. But it stands a fair chance it's him.
    I also think it could be Lady Forreter, though I hope not because I can't for the life of me see how sacrificing two battle ready sons (no way they live if the Whitehills take over fully. As soon as the Boltons know they're defeated they'll kill the sons and let Lady Forreter live in misery) to save one young "worthless" fourth born. And I say worthless because the boy is what, 6 maybe? He can't do anything at all to protect the house, whilst Rodrik and Asher may yet save it. So why risk their lives, only to lose the house anyway, just to get one small child back?

• Haha really?

When have they ever specifically not shown an important choice at the end?

And how would displaying it as a major choice automatically mean Lady Forrester is the traitor? It could mean a whole host of bigish things, like her trying to find out who it is desperately etc.

Telltale didn't hide the Car decision in twd season 1 episode 2, for example, despite that only having relatively big (for telltale) relevance at the very end.

And you'd think the writers would at least be smart enough to not make it obvious by displaying that is was a major choice.

• Behind the Maester, Duncan is the second person I would suspect. He just does a lot of behind the scene stuff that made me suspect him.

He send Gared to the Wall without talking to Ethan first (Granted he was a boy, but he was still the lord), he send a letter to Frostfinger, he give ale to the Whitehill soldiers, he has a strange excuse if he wasn't chosen as the sentinel, he suddenly appears in Castle Black to deliver ironwood shield and he somehow managed to establish contact with Gwyn.

I don't want him to be the traitor, I like his counsel even though I chose Royland as my sentinel.

ALIENANGIE posted: »

Personally because Duncan was the only one Gregor trusted, makes me think he's the MOST likely to be traitor, as we are told to trust him. E

• They said they'd been listening to their fans after ever episode since twd season 1 episode 1.

I don't think that's fair, Telltale has been listening really closely to their fans for both this game and Tales. Something like what @prink34320 suggested isn't that far fetched.

• And they've done a good job. Some people complained about the dumb puzzles in Walking Dead Season 1, so they removed them in Season 2 and in Wolf. They have also improved on a number of things (hubs, episode length) for this game and Tales, so like I said - it's not fair to be so quick to judge them.

They said they'd been listening to their fans after ever episode since twd season 1 episode 1.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.