The North Grove.

Now, Gregor trusted ONLY Duncan w/ the information about the North Grove, but why no one else? Now I have absolutely NO idea what "The North Grove" is whatsoever. I have never watched the Game of Thrones series on TV, which I presume that "The North Grove" is mentioned about. What is "The North Grove"? How do you think it will help House Forrester? How did Gregor get the informatiom about "The North Grove"? Comment your thoughts and opinions down below!

Comments

• The North Grove was never mentioned before, in the books or show. It's something original to the game.

As for what it is, I haven't the faintest clue. Some have speculated that it's a grove of ironwood trees, but I think it's something a bit more mystical.

• edited April 2015

Think it's either a secret stash of Ironwood trees. (So the Whitehills burn down the Forrestor's trees but the Ironwood grove lives on.)

Or even, maybe something related to the weirwood trees?

Also, it would be awesome to see Children of the Forest come out of nowhere and kill Whitehills for us.

• Well, Duncan was Gregor's best friend, a childhood friend and castellan of Ironrath. They basically grew up together and did everything together as a team. He was therefore responsible for the defense/governance of Ironrath in the absence of Lord Gregor, which is a lot to trust someone with, as is the secret with the North Grove I'm sure. That said, I find it silly that so many seem to think Duncan is the traitor. Then again, it would definitely be a shock but I don't see why he would do that.

• edited April 2015

If it's a secret stash of Ironwood tree's I'm going to /wrist. Way too much build up. I think it's something way more important than that. I understand the importance of Ironwood, but to have your nephew abandon the Nights Watch(which is a death sentence) and venture out into the extremely dangerous true north, thus risking his life, over some damn backup stash of trees? All the hype and buildup? I find that theory silly.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify, I know what a grove is, but I don't think it's JUST going to be trees. There has got to be something MUCH more important hidden within the grove. If it was just another stash of Ironwood trees, why is it such a big secret? And what is to stop some random wildlings from chopping them down?

torkahn808 posted: »

Think it's either a secret stash of Ironwood trees. (So the Whitehills burn down the Forrestor's trees but the Ironwood grove lives on.)

• I think Lord Forrester had confined in Duncan about the North Grove before, therefore he thinks that the best chance of them using it would come from Duncan knowing about it rather than anyone else. As for what it is, I have a no idea. I'm leaning toward a stash of Ironwood, though the whole thing in Episode 3 about it being a citadel or something could mean it's a secret fortress.

• Agreed. It's gotta be important with the way it's been built up so far. The measures Lord Forrestos took to make sure it remained a secret, and that it's the last thing he says to Gared, just means that it's gotta be a big thing.

Ryanoo posted: »

If it's a secret stash of Ironwood tree's I'm going to /wrist. Way too much build up. I think it's something way more important than that. I

• It looks like it is a some kind of secret magical place ,about which existation lots of people have doubts.Also it looks like some people like Finn of Snow thinks that North Grove doesnt realy exist at all.All in all it is some magical place which could somehow help House Forrester.Sorry for fail-english

• From what I remember there was a mention of some sort of stronghold being there or something. I'm certain that it's not just trees, but being named a 'grove' makes me think trees will definitely be included.

If it's a secret stash of Ironwood tree's I'm going to /wrist. Way too much build up. I think it's something way more important than that. I

• I think Gregor told thought it would protect his house, along with the rest of Westeros. My theory is that it is keeping the Horn of Winter from the White Walker's icy hands who would use it to destroy the Wall and walk right into the Seven Kingdoms. Gared's job is to enter the grove before the Walkers can destroy and destroy the horn.

• It's definitely not a backup stash of ironwood trees as Cotter says it can help the wildings.

• edited April 2015

Doesn't that seem a bit big for this game? Maybe GRRM or D&D will revisit it. Also, Cotter says he knows about the North Grove. If the wildlings know the horn is in there, what's stopping them from getting it?

Edit: Yeah, like @TabbyLover said that doesn't help the Forresters either.

richforce posted: »

I think Gregor told thought it would protect his house, along with the rest of Westeros. My theory is that it is keeping the Horn of Winter

• Well Ironwood can certainly help anyone, wildlings as well.

dinofire posted: »

It's definitely not a backup stash of ironwood trees as Cotter says it can help the wildings.

• That doesn't really help the Forresters, though.

richforce posted: »

I think Gregor told thought it would protect his house, along with the rest of Westeros. My theory is that it is keeping the Horn of Winter

• They aren't going to reveal anything major in the game over the books and show. My guess is it's a stash of trees and possibly a source of the trees.

• I agree with the anti-irontree party. "The North Grove must never be lost" wouldn't make much sense if it was just trees. Why would Lord Forrester think they would be "lost" all of a sudden, and how should Duncan prevent this? Also, what use are trees somewhere beyond the wall? How's this going to help in the war? These were Lord Forrester's last words amidst death and chaos and treachery instead of something like: "Keep my family safe" or "Tell xy I love her" or "Tell xy to be strong". This has to be essential for the survival of house Forrester.

Also, if the Forresters ever manage to, i dunno, cultivate these secret trees, others would hear about it soon. What's keeping, let's say the Boltons from taking the trees for themselves? The Forresters don't have a claim on some random trees beyond the wall, this is nobody's land, if anything it belongs to the Wildlings.

So I'm leaning towards the citadel thing, because they wouldn't let Duncan use this word without reason. I guess "citadel" is meant as a symbol. Something that protects... some other thing.

• I think it was quite cheeky of Duncan to rummage in Lord Forrester's strongbox for more information on the North Grove. He should have asked Rodrik for permission before taking this diary, actually he should make him privy to all of this North Grove thing. Fine sentinel he is.

Well, Duncan was Gregor's best friend, a childhood friend and castellan of Ironrath. They basically grew up together and did everything toge

• I thought the craft of ironwoodworking is a clamped-down secret known only by the Forresters, as all the remaining ironwood in Westeros is in their part of the Wolfswood. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Well Ironwood can certainly help anyone, wildlings as well.

• Glad we've all established it's not just some Ironwood Trees. That'd be straight up dumb. What are they gonna do, wheel a wagon up there beyond the wall and haul all the trees down south? "FUCK MY WIFE, SAVE THE TREES" -as Gregor reaches out taking his final breath-

Whatever it is, it's vital to the survival of the Forresters(as stated), and it's something that wont be easily discoverable/probably only able to be found if you know what you're looking for or through some really long winded, intricate secret that only the Forresters know about. Otherwise, the Wildlings would've already found it.

Again, this is why I don't believe Duncan is the traitor. Rodrik would likely execute him since he's not family. It'd be considered "treason" and the penalty is death, trusted family friend or not, if you're not family, you don't commit any sort of treason... regardless of the reason.

• It could be seeds to regrow the Ironwood trees, not actual trees themselves.

Glad we've all established it's not just some Ironwood Trees. That'd be straight up dumb. What are they gonna do, wheel a wagon up there bey

• Well the Whitehills were able to craft Ironwood weapons too. Granted, they weren't as skilled as the Forresters' ones but I think the main reason why Ironrath is known for it is because of its location and its had the most time and access to the Ironwood. The wildlings close to the North Grove could be the same.

dinofire posted: »

I thought the craft of ironwoodworking is a clamped-down secret known only by the Forresters, as all the remaining ironwood in Westeros is in their part of the Wolfswood. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

• But there must be a better place to keep seeds. For example in the desk drawer.

It could be seeds to regrow the Ironwood trees, not actual trees themselves.

• edited April 2015

You remember that scene in Episode 3 where Rodrik and Gwyn meet? The Whitehills cut down the Ironwood trees/forests for their own personal gain and I bet a few of the trees for just shits and giggles.

Lord Forrester probably knew that their Ironwood was the only thing that'll really help House Forrester in the broken North. He wants them to make sure they have plenty of it just in case.

This is just my standpoint on the case, I can understand if someone would think different. But I don't get is why people think a hidden stash of Ironwood in some shape or form is such a bad or stupid theory.

rousseau posted: »

But there must be a better place to keep seeds. For example in the desk drawer.

• Sure it would be comfortable to have a hidden stash somewhere - but this place is not beyond the wall. It's not accesible, it's dangerous, the wildlings won't accept a certificate which states: "This secret stash belongs to House Forrester, please begone", nobody would; and they can't secretly transport it miles and miles to their home.

I didn't want to imply it's stupid, it just wouldn't explain this urgency vibe we got from Lord Forrester, nor why there are so much legends about it. Also what kind of plan is this: "The trees beyond the wall must never be lost, in case somebody takes away the trees around Ironrath. So my family just can get the trees beyond the wall and nobody will ever dare to take them away as well." They need strength to defend what is theirs, not more valuables which need to be defended.

Also I just don't want it to be trees. Imagine Gared fighting with White Walkers and snow storms and wildlings who want to eat him and giants and mammoths to finally find the North Grove. And it is .... some lousy trees. :(

You remember that scene in Episode 3 where Rodrik and Gwyn meet? The Whitehills cut down the Ironwood trees/forests for their own personal g

• I imagine Gregor would've expected Duncan to ensure "the North Grove is never lost," so y'know in order to fulfill this request he'd kind of need to investigate the means to do so and I doubt Gregor's rolling over in his grave because of it. That said however, I don't think it's right to withhold the information from Rodrik as his sentinel. Obviously Rodrik is trustworthy. That said, though, we don't know what the North Grove is and therefore can't know the consequences of others knowing the secret.

rousseau posted: »

I think it was quite cheeky of Duncan to rummage in Lord Forrester's strongbox for more information on the North Grove. He should have asked

• But there are legends about the North Grove that most people think are made up by wildlings and fools I have a hard time imagining a legend about a secret stash of ironwood getting started.

You remember that scene in Episode 3 where Rodrik and Gwyn meet? The Whitehills cut down the Ironwood trees/forests for their own personal g

• The theories could be about the Ice Dragon? Bit far fetched, since I doubt it's an actual one but you never know. It's just speculation though, I know that the chances of it being Ironwood is just as likely as it being a million other things.

AgentZ46 posted: »

But there are legends about the North Grove that most people think are made up by wildlings and fools I have a hard time imagining a legend about a secret stash of ironwood getting started.

• Random theory: Gregor's Uncle (or something like that) was a ranger for the Night's Watch, so he likely knew of the North Grove. And the North Grove is allegedly a citadel. Call me crazy, but could it be a secret cadet branch of House Forrester, descended from Gregor's Uncle?

• edited May 2015

I have some thoughts on how The North Grove really is an ice dragon that Gared can use to chase away the Whitehills and the Boltons.

But, I'm also thinking it might be something that's supposed to make their authority over the Forresters null and void.

• The problem I have with it being an ice dragon is that something like that would be pretty significant and probably effect the canon events of the show in a major way, and I don't think telltale has that kind of influence.

I have some thoughts on how The North Grove really is an ice dragon that Gared can use to chase away the Whitehills and the Boltons. But,

• With ironwood being near impervious to flame and Lady Forrester telling Rodrik that "but we Forresters know the way." I think it is something to do with the cultivating of the trees or a way to burn the wood for carpentry or weapons building.

• Yeah, I'm sure the Ice Dragon is a constellation or something. It being an actual Ice Dragon could potentially fuck up canon a bit

LoseMyHome posted: »

The problem I have with it being an ice dragon is that something like that would be pretty significant and probably effect the canon events of the show in a major way, and I don't think telltale has that kind of influence.

• Oh wow, that certainly is rather interesting, I wonder how that would play out if true. You should make a full thread on this

JakeSt123 posted: »

Random theory: Gregor's Uncle (or something like that) was a ranger for the Night's Watch, so he likely knew of the North Grove. And the Nor

• very interesting! you should start a thread on this and get other people's opinions

JakeSt123 posted: »

Random theory: Gregor's Uncle (or something like that) was a ranger for the Night's Watch, so he likely knew of the North Grove. And the Nor

• lmao, what if it's literally a statue of an ice dragon

Yeah, I'm sure the Ice Dragon is a constellation or something. It being an actual Ice Dragon could potentially fuck up canon a bit

Sign in to comment in this discussion.