What if the North Grove was a Lie?

edited April 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Imagine if Gared and Cotter were climbing up a Hill, and then we see a big ass field with Trees.

But then the screen cuts to black to hype Season 2.

What would your reaction be?

Comments

• My reaction would be, "Oh, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you...."

• Like this:

Click here

My reaction would be, "Oh, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you...."

• Yes, exactly. I love that episode. "Oh, fuuuuuck you." "Nonono my friend, do not fuck me, because then we are just fucking ourselves."

Like this: Click here

• It's probably one of my favorite episodes by them, that whole scene when he was talking to himself was the probably the hardest I have ever laughed at South Park.

Yes, exactly. I love that episode. "Oh, fuuuuuck you." "Nonono my friend, do not fuck me, because then we are just fucking ourselves."

• edited April 2015

I personally hope that the North Grove was actually Gared Tuttle himself. I think it would be a great twist if Gared Tuttle was actually the Bastard child of Lord Forester.

I am actually quite sad the map and riddles given to us in episode 3 are making it seem more and more likely that the North Gove is something mystical. A metaphoric meaning for the North Grove would be a more interesting story I.M.O. I for one am still hoping that all legends about the North Grove are all just smoke and mirrors.

(this is a rant, I hope you enjoy it)
    I admit that there are problems with (or holes in) this theory but, here we go . . . .

The largest piece of evidence is the fact that Gared is "the North Grove" and the son of Lord Forester is the fact that HE IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!

Think about it. ALL the other playable characters are (or have been) Forester children . . . . if Gared has no Forester blood then he seems very out of place as a playable character.

Also I think Gared looks way more like Lord Forester than his "father" or his "uncle"!

His "uncle", Duncan Tuttle has been described as having struck up an unlikely friendship with Lord Forester that raised many eyebrows; "The two grew close, sharing food, drink, and women" So if Forester had a bastard, Duncan would probably have known (the most) about it.

Imagine for a moment that "the North Grove" is a rumor that Lord forester (who used to "share women") has some young "iron wood saplings" from his own seed hidden away some ware in the North.

There may have even been an earlier legend about a North Grove north of the wall. Duncan says it's a story told by Wildlings. But it has been a long time since people south of the wall have believed in stories about White-Walkers and such. Most, think they are just legends and nothing more. Perhaps people were using an old legend about the North Grove to as a sly reference to rumors that Lord Forester has one or more children than he lets on.

The rumor itself is not mentioned much . . . maybe because its unseemly, it concerns Lord Foresters honor.
    You notice that no one in episode 1 ever says what it (the North Gove) actually is . . . only that it's just a rumor.

Lady Forester strikes me as a woman who would be very hostile to a Bastard. She is naturally devoted to her family and especially her children. But more than this she is very afraid that the house might fall as hers did. I think in her mind a bastard (and potential rival heir) would pose an unacceptable threat to her children. (ironically I think she might very well be the traitor, but I will keep this post about Gared)

In the Game; If you tell lady Forester about the North Grove she seems bothered by it. Look at in her facial expression.
    If you tell the Master he thinks it is "interesting". As masters are sworn to serve the interest of his castles current Lord, he might (like Lady Forester) view a Bastard as a threat to the house especially given the circumstances that the family finds themselves in.

So, it makes sense that Gared was ONLY supposed to tell Duncan. It was like Lord Forester was sending a message to Duncan saying "Remember to keep your promise to protect my son." That might even include not even telling Gared the truth, . . . Gared might be safer never knowing. And if Gared tells anyone else they might get wise and kill Gared, thinking it would protect the house.

If Lord forester knew his wife well enough to know that she would be hostile to a Bastard he might have had good reason to keep Gared a secret. It might not have even been about protecting the boy, it would have made sense even if all Lord Forester wanted to do was spare his wife's feelings and maintain domestic tranquility within his own home.

I suspect that Duncan got his brother to raise Gared as his own as a favor to his friend and Lord. Gareds' father may or may not have known who Gared really was (I think he likely did). Farmer Tuttle may have been paid or expected some future payment, but that is not necessary. It may have simply been good service given to a good Lord. Perhaps Duncans own advancement (which raised eye brows) was a form of payment.

Gared being Lord Foresters son also puts Duncan's insistence on sending Gared to the Wall in a new light. If Doncan is loyal to the house and also wants to protect Gared from the Whitehills then what better place to send him than the Wall. And, if Duncan is a traitor to the house OR if Doncan no longer cares what happens to Gared then what better place to dispose of him than the Wall!

Also, remember how familiar Lord Foraster was with Gared . . . .

He looks at Gared with pride in his eyes. (or disappointment, if you act arrogant when he promotes Gared)

And then there is the promotion its-self. It may have been a well deserved promotion but it's also like Lord Forester wants to see this boy honored and elevated beyond the life of a pig farmer.

Yes, I know Gared as a Forester Bastard is a bit of a crackpot theory but I like it WAY better than Gared finding some lame magic that saves the house.

The North Grove that Duncan is sending Gared to, could actualy be a lie . . . a made up quest that Duncan sends Gared on in order to put him in harms way and get rid of him without having to do it himself. Lord Forester is dead, Duncan no longer needs to keep Gared safe if he doesn't want to. If Duncan is a traitor than he is sending one of the Foresters off into the wilderness to die. And if Duncan is Loyal to the Foresters . . . . then Gared is a complication that the family does not need.

Unfortunately the pendant that Talia gives Gared ruins that last idea . . . because it works with the map . . . .

I know its a crack pot theory, but I find it delightfully chilling.

I for one will be really disappointed if the writers and game designers pander to the crowd who want to see a hidden planting of Iron Wood trees, a Mystical Fortress or a Bloody Ice Dragon.

Having a magical "North Grove" and providing a magic solution to the problems faced by House Forester is a weak boring alternative to telling a good story about flawed people . . . and the secrets they keep.

• We're fucked obviously

• Wow, this theory is interesting itself.

Good job!

Alt text

I personally hope that the North Grove was actually Gared Tuttle himself. I think it would be a great twist if Gared Tuttle was actually th

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni

a big ass field with Trees

Big ass field with trees

• Alt text

puzzlebox posted: »

• First time hearing this theory, did you come up with it?
    If so great job!

I personally hope that the North Grove was actually Gared Tuttle himself. I think it would be a great twist if Gared Tuttle was actually th

• The fact that Talia and Gared have feelings for each other, which I think Telltale confirmed (though I may be wrong), kinda puts a stop on this theory. Then again, incest isn't unheard of in Game of Thrones, from what I've read and seen from other people. :v

• It'd clearly be a wasted journey.

• Alt text

POTATOES. ... POTATOES EVERYWHERE

• North Grove is there I know it

please be there :(

• Alt text

DAMN

IT

TELL

TALE

YOU RUINED IT GOD DAMNIT!

• edited May 2015

My favorite theory yet! Obviously, Lord Forrester was like "screw everyone else in my family, don't worry about giving my final words to my wife, just save the damn trees! My precious trees!"

The plan has been in motion for decades, with Lord Forrester and Duncan agreeing that if their house ever came under siege, Duncan's nephew must be sacrificed in order to protect their secret stash of Ironwood that they somehow traveled north of the wall and planted all by themselves. He would either live there as a hermit, watering and catering to the trees... or construct a big ass wagon which he would then somehow wheel back through the wall with the trees and straight to Ironrath. The Forresters would then be saved somehow and everyone would live happily ever after. After all, who wouldn't risk their nephews life for some badass trees that don't burn down?

My other favorite theory is that there are actually Ironwood saplings in the North Grove, and Gared must retrieve them/sneak past the wall with them/return to Ironrath/grow them and use them as a bargaining chip to secure the families safety 14 years later.

Mind = Blown

• edited May 2015

Actual any potential feelings between Talia and Gared (and I got that vibe as well, in episode one) dosn't harm the theory that Gared is the "North Grove" that Lord forester was referring to. The reason for this is that (if it was a secret) neither Gared nor Talia would know that Gared was a Forester bastard.

BUT, I will admit there are problems with the theory and chief among them is the pendant that Talia does give to Gared.
    If the Gared is the "North Grove" why who'd Talia have a pendent that was a key to a map that leads to a place.

As I said, in my rant. It saddens me that it is looking like the North Grove will end up being a real place. I just think having a secret stash of iron wood trees (or an otherwise magical solution) weakens the story.

fayescarlet posted: »

The fact that Talia and Gared have feelings for each other, which I think Telltale confirmed (though I may be wrong), kinda puts a stop on t

• The North Grove could be a hopeful spot and victory House Forrester truly needs right now, since they're in a very tight pickle at the moment. 8D; I wouldn't mind a miracle right now in this game. It might weaken the story, but it will feel good.

Actual any potential feelings between Talia and Gared (and I got that vibe as well, in episode one) dosn't harm the theory that Gared is the

• I, for one, want the North Grove to be real but I think it would be cool if Gared is a bastard of Gregor Forrester.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.