Favourite religion in Game Of Thrones/ASOIAF?

My favourite is The Drowned God

Comments

• The Lord of Light. He gives the power to resist deadly poisons, resurrect people, summon shadows to assassinate people... What do the other gods do?

• Lord of Light for reasons explained up here, and also the Many-Faced God (or God of Death)

• Certainly not the god-damn Lord of Light. Every bloody episode literally seems to have light all up in its face, and I swear to god, this religion alone has made me despise characters like Melisandre. Because they get no ever development other than their focus upon The Lord of Light. It started out as a cool addition, and is now becoming more and more hollow by the second. Seriously, we DO NOT need to focus on The Lord of Light any longer. Fine, mention it in passing have certain events based on it (such as a certain character's death in early Season 5 episodes, which Jon was involved in. You know the one).

But for goodness sake. Give Melisandre or somebody a character. I'm genuinelly interested in her back-story as a slave girl and her relationship with her mother, but every single scene is just like

Stannis: There's a problem.

Davos: Maybe we could do this...

Melisandre waltzes in

Melisandre: Lord of Light!

Stannis: Okay.

Agh! Okay, end rant.

...My favourite is the Lord of Light.

• "Like the ironborn, the Drowned God is a harsh deity and goes hand in hand with the Old Way. It is said the Drowned God made the ironborn to reave and rape, to carve out kingdoms and to make their names known in fire and blood and song. The Drowned God himself is believed to have brought flame from the sea and sailed the world with fire and sword. The Drowned God's eternal enemy, the Storm God, resides in a hall within the clouds and ravens are his creatures. It is said the two deities have been in conflict for millennia and the sea roils in anger when they engage in battle. However, much like the Drowned God, no one aside from the ironborn believe in the Storm God.[1]
    When an ironman drowns, it is said that the Drowned God needed a strong oarsman, and the refrain "What is dead may never die" is used.[2] It is believed he will be feasted in the Drowned God’s watery halls, his every want satisfied by mermaids." Basically, they are Vikings and that is awesome.

• Thoros of Myr and Beric Dondarrion are great examples of characters who are followers of Rhilor but are actually interesting

HarjKS posted: »

Certainly not the god-damn Lord of Light. Every bloody episode literally seems to have light all up in its face, and I swear to god, this re

• The Many-Faced God is the most interesting, in my opinion.

• I'd believe in The Old Gods of The Forrest

• Drowned God. What is dead may never die.

• God of Tits and Wine, yeah I don't like religions. However I admit they are interesting part of the story and the lore.

• edited May 2015

There is only one god. And His name is Death.

• Alt text

God of Tits and Wine, yeah I don't like religions. However I admit they are interesting part of the story and the lore.

• I hate how all the cool gods that ancient civilisations worshiped are now considered ridiculous but the boring ones stick around

God of Tits and Wine, yeah I don't like religions. However I admit they are interesting part of the story and the lore.

• The Old Gods definitely! I love the nature religions and i love the Old Gods even more since we've found them to be a bit bloodthirsty.

• Not the Lord of Light... I feel like it would be more of a demon than a god.

I prefer the Old Gods. They're useless in the South where the weir woods are cut down, but I believe they watch over the North and ultimately the Northerners who have honor.

• Rhllor because it sounds like some Cthulu shit. Plus my favorite group in the series follow them the Brotherhood without Banners.

• Starts with "certainly not the lord of light" ends with "my favourite is the lord of light" XD

Certainly not the god-damn Lord of Light. Every bloody episode literally seems to have light all up in its face, and I swear to god, this re

• Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought the first time that name was mentioned, that they were talking about the mythical city that Cthulhu lives in.

Churned posted: »

Rhllor because it sounds like some Cthulu shit. Plus my favorite group in the series follow them the Brotherhood without Banners.

• For the record, Lord of Light is easily the most helpful, but I just don't trust a lot of it's member's. So I just go with the Old Gods, mostly because it's a Northern thing, the Northern way is the best way! That may or may not have been biased because I am a hardcore fan of the North in general.

• If you read the books, Melisandre actually gets development, and her own POV chapter in A Dance With Dragons. Don't blame a character for D&D's inability to characterize and write properly, and how they mischaracterize almost every single character, and reduce them to overused tropes, which George Martin himself hates and would never use.

• Valar Morghulis.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.