Kill all the ravens? Why

Why on earth would we kill all the ravens? Atleast they should have given us a choice about this. If people don't remember Theon Greyjoy decided to kill all the ravens at Winterfell and then was unable to get ahold of anyone for help when they were under siege. I feel like this will come back to haunt us and we didn't even have a choice over it :/ . I hope it doesn't mean much

Comments

• So word can't leak out to Ludd before you want it to about overthrowing Gryff. it is a wise tactical move.

• Dururial is correct, that is why they did it, and also it is a smart decision with regards to keeping Gryph's captivity a secret. But i also think you are correct in that it could backfire against them, what if they need to get word to Mira? What if they needed to send further instructions to Gared?

• edited May 2015

I dont' think they can send a raven to Gared at this point, but Mira definitely needs to be able to contact Ironrath having now found out the Whitehill's plan. I'm really worried about that.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

Dururial is correct, that is why they did it, and also it is a smart decision with regards to keeping Gryph's captivity a secret. But i also

• Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Gared's story. I mean how the fuck is the North Grove going to be useful at all for Ironrath? I'm starting to think were going to make it to the north grove just in time to be killed off by a pack of white walkers and their wights

LoseMyHome posted: »

I dont' think they can send a raven to Gared at this point, but Mira definitely needs to be able to contact Ironrath having now found out the Whitehill's plan. I'm really worried about that.

• Just an example about Gared. And Mira would still be able to contact them, but they would have to send her raven straight back to King's Landing to be able to communicate anything to her. Most ravens are only trained to go to one or two destinations, per Maester Lewin.

• Lol i have a feeling were going to have a choice on whetehr or not to testify in Tyrions trial. I mean either that or were killed by cersei

Just an example about Gared. And Mira would still be able to contact them, but they would have to send her raven straight back to King's Lan

• It was a "make it or break it" decision. Killing the ravens while it destroys the chances of the information leaking out it also destroys our chances of sending word to Mira. How will Mira hear about Ramsay? It seems that shes only connected to the story by getting messages from her mother by RAVEN! Now she's in the blind going forward.

• I knew that, I just didn't know if there was more than one raven per route. If there was a King's Landing - Ironrath bird in both locations, I wouldn't be so worried because one would be killed but the other would still be able to deliver messages. But if there is only one bird, and it happened to be at Ironrath at the time, that's what I'm worried about.

Just an example about Gared. And Mira would still be able to contact them, but they would have to send her raven straight back to King's Lan

• I thought it was more interesting that after killing all the ravens they instantly got an E-Vite from Ludd to go to Highpoint. Did they kill the raven who brought this message too?

• Yes, that is the feeling i get about our 'choices' with regards to Cersei as well. Not really looking forward to it, but Cersei is absolutely Batshit crazy at this point in the timeline, so i definately want to fly under her radar as much as possible.

Wigams posted: »

Lol i have a feeling were going to have a choice on whetehr or not to testify in Tyrions trial. I mean either that or were killed by cersei

• That's a good question. We never really get a clear description anywhere (books, show or game) of the allocation of Ravens to Houses.

Does everyone get a 'set' to start out with? With training more beyond that, being each Houses own responsibility? Do the smaller Houses only have Ravens that are trained for their region of Westeros (i.e. The North, or Dorne), whereas the Great Houses have ones trained for all over Westeros? We know the Maesters are responsible for their upkeep and training, but do they actually control who gets what and how many? Or are there kids all over Westeros hunting and capturing ravens for their respective houses?

I knew that, I just didn't know if there was more than one raven per route. If there was a King's Landing - Ironrath bird in both locations,

• Sounds like the most logical outcome of events in GOT - work your ass off to get where you need to be, to do what you have to do; just in time to be completely fucked, most likely by someone who you thought was your friend/family. Or alternatively, Ramsay Snow will hunt and chase you right into a pack of Snow Spiders.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Gared's story. I mean how the fuck is the North Grove going to be useful at all for Ironrath? I'm start

• How will Mira hearing about Ramsay help?

It was a "make it or break it" decision. Killing the ravens while it destroys the chances of the information leaking out it also destroys o

• It wont help in particular. I'm just saying that the only way she knows anything that goes on in Ironrath is because Lady Forrester sends her messages by raven. So now Lady forrester can't send Mira a raven to tell her about the recent events at Ironrath.

mrkite posted: »

How will Mira hearing about Ramsay help?

• It was kind of a shifty move by Momma Forrester, honestly. I was expecting the "No, we keep the ravens" choice to pop up, but then it switched and next scene she was all "Well, our entire communication system is destroyed. Go team."

Would it really be so inconceivable to just have the doors to the raven room put under guard, and have the guards shoot down any ravens flying from the keep which they weren't informed of ahead of time? There's only one traitor, and even if he does have access to the ravens, it'd be hard to send one without a guard seeing. I mean, imagine if something terrible happened at Ironrath after all the ravens were gone, thus preventing any messages from being sent out. Oh wait.

• to cut off the communication system. she said it was so no one found out about gryff's capture, and whether or not their was an alternate motive from either her or the person who suggested it to her we don't know yet

• I thought this was a little extreme since they still need to keep in contact with Mira and anyway, as far as I know only maesters can send ravens. I don't think Ortengryn is gonna feel like it for a while so unless someone else magically knows how to do it, I really don't see why it was necessary.

• edited May 2015

I think preventing the more immediate threat of a traitor sending a message to Ludd Whitehill takes precedence over sending a message to Mira at Kings Landing.

It wont help in particular. I'm just saying that the only way she knows anything that goes on in Ironrath is because Lady Forrester sends h

• So know one e.g the traitor can contact Lord Whitehill and tell him that Rodrick has gone against Gryff and his army and taken his house back

• I don't think that only Maesters can send a raven. There are instances in the books, for sure, when non Maesters have sent ravens. I think its more that, the maesters know the birds, they know which ones, in what cages, are trained to fly where.

I think that most Lords and Ladies could send them themselves if they were so inclined. But how many can you see wanting to take the time themselves when they have someone who does it for them? Unless they have some reason to suspect their Maester is unfaithful to their House, or are sending some secret missive, but then they could write in code or send false info.

lilithnight posted: »

I thought this was a little extreme since they still need to keep in contact with Mira and anyway, as far as I know only maesters can send r

• I thought it was a wise move, Mira can still send word to them and then they can send it back

• They can send word to Mira through the Raven she sends to them. But it does make me wonder.

Was Ludd's raven killed? Is it common practice to send a Raven back to Ludd if he sends a raven to you?

And it's worrying that we come back to this problem in Ironrath and have no ravens to send for help now.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.