why isn't Gwyn married yet?

a woman her age in Westeros would.

Comments

• I'm guessing it has to do with the War of the Five Kings.

Something along the lines of Elaena and Rodrik.

• edited May 2015

Is she much older than Mira? Or does gender and marriage work different in king's landing?

• She's waiting for Asher. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

Ludd's possibly just waiting to see if better offers appear than what's currently on the table. He also strikes me as the type who'd turn down a lot of suitors as 'You're not good enough for my daughter!'. Of course, waiting too long could get dangerous too in a world like Westeros.

• Alt text

Swiggity Swooty, I'm comin' for that booty

Pipas posted: »

She's waiting for Asher. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• It's interesting that she wasn't exiled for canoodling with a Forrester, unlike poor Asher who gets booted to Essos. Given Ludd's hugely inflated opinion of himself my guess would also be that he's waiting to wed her into a Great House or something ridiculous.

• My thoughts exactly :P

Pipas posted: »

She's waiting for Asher. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Maybe it's just because there's been no worthy suitor yet, as stated above. however it could also be because of her past with Asher. In medieval times it was a lot harder for an "unpure" woman to get married, maybe it's like that in westeros as well.

• Maybe she's still being courted by a lot of suitors? If I recall Whitehill isn't a particularly strong house so it's not like the Lannisters or Starks where they make powerful alliances.

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

Asher was exiled by Lord Forrester to avoid a war between the houses; not as a punishment.

It's interesting that she wasn't exiled for canoodling with a Forrester, unlike poor Asher who gets booted to Essos. Given Ludd's hugely inf

• Because, the Starks liked the Forresters, and thus presumably disliked the Whitehills. I assume marrying a Whitehill wasn't a very good prospect, at least until now, when Whitehill's Bolton friends are the new Wardens.

• And since Whitehill is a secret softie about his kids, I can totally imagine him trying to hold onto his one daughter for as long as possible. She's clearly in a more advisory role than a woman of her station would be otherwise. Gryff is a hothead, and the elder Whitehill brothers have left the house, she's the only level-headed (family) confidant he has.

• In Westeros age isn't really a big thing especially among noble families you marry for the family name and to form alliances not for he person.

Flog61 posted: »

Is she much older than Mira? Or does gender and marriage work different in king's landing?

• Ramsay is tired of slow production of Ironwood

He gives it all back to the Forresters and has Rodrik and Gwyn marry to keep the peace

Glenmores get pissed and the full out war is actually ForresterxWhitehills VS Glenmore

Boom.

• I fail to see the difference.

On a side note. I find it amussing that he'd exile his son for falling in love with the wrong girl but follow a fucking dumb ass like Robb Stark to his death for no better reason than loyalty.

HiroVoid posted: »

Asher was exiled by Lord Forrester to avoid a war between the houses; not as a punishment.

• I actually wouldn't mind this scenario.

Ramsay is tired of slow production of Ironwood He gives it all back to the Forresters and has Rodrik and Gwyn marry to keep the peace Glenmores get pissed and the full out war is actually ForresterxWhitehills VS Glenmore Boom.

• I'm going to have to go with the whole Asher business theory. Maybe other houses look at her as trouble or some kind of damaged goods. Although I do quite like the idea of Ludd keeping her around as sort of his right hand woman because the older sons are elsewhere and Gryff is... well, Gryff. :P

• edited May 2015

He didn't have a choice but to follow Robb Stark. Just as the Forresters now don't have a choice but to do with the Boltons tell them to do, whether they like it or not (at least until Stannis arrives in the neighborhood). The Starks could command an army of thousands of men when they rally their banners. How many could the Forresters drum up before the Red Wedding? I doubt it was more than a 100, considering the very tiny number of men they can field post-Red Wedding. Gryff was occupying Ironrath with like 15 guys. The Forresters also have no other noble houses as their vassals, unlike the Starks.

The Forresters aren't strong enough to defy a Great House. They are a minor mountain clan house.

A_Great_Guy posted: »

I fail to see the difference. On a side note. I find it amussing that he'd exile his son for falling in love with the wrong girl but follow a fucking dumb ass like Robb Stark to his death for no better reason than loyalty.

• Didnt they say that Asher exiled himself?

It's interesting that she wasn't exiled for canoodling with a Forrester, unlike poor Asher who gets booted to Essos. Given Ludd's hugely inf

• As quoted by lady forester: "Asher exiled himself"

HiroVoid posted: »

• But then Elaena Glrenmore would just marry Gryff still.

Ramsay is tired of slow production of Ironwood He gives it all back to the Forresters and has Rodrik and Gwyn marry to keep the peace Glenmores get pissed and the full out war is actually ForresterxWhitehills VS Glenmore Boom.

• Im not denying, that banner men generally have little choice but to present themselves, when a lord calls the banners. BUT the Starks didn't press him or his army into service he made the conscious and unrepentant choice to follow them to war. Which led to his death. All because of, as I've said, loyalty.

Scaeva posted: »

He didn't have a choice but to follow Robb Stark. Just as the Forresters now don't have a choice but to do with the Boltons tell them to do,

• Said to a, potentially angry, son who might stop her sending for Asher.

It can also be interpreted as. Asher is responsible for the problem, therefore any punishment inflicted on him. He brought on himself. Ergo " Asher exiled himself".

Miny77 posted: »

As quoted by lady forester: "Asher exiled himself"

• edited May 2015

I took it as he was so angry at his family, he chose to leave. His conversations with Beska seemed to bear that out.

Said to a, potentially angry, son who might stop her sending for Asher. It can also be interpreted as. Asher is responsible for the problem, therefore any punishment inflicted on him. He brought on himself. Ergo " Asher exiled himself".

• Hmm, i never actually considered that, because of Gregors codex entry and Ashers (in game) choices to somewhat disregard the Forresters. But given his personality I wouldn't put it past him.

KCohere posted: »

I took it as he was so angry at his family, he chose to leave. His conversations with Beska seemed to bear that out.

• I think she has herpes.

• Which seems weird, because being the liege lords to both houses, the Starks should technically "like" both houses. Or at least, before the Red Wedding, the Whitehills' could have revered the Boltons and Starks without being contradictory.

Wolf6120 posted: »

Because, the Starks liked the Forresters, and thus presumably disliked the Whitehills. I assume marrying a Whitehill wasn't a very good prospect, at least until now, when Whitehill's Bolton friends are the new Wardens.

• Not necessarily. The Boltons are without doubt the least popular of the Stark bannermen. Everyone else is like best buds with the Starks, would flat out die for them, but the Boltons are the "we follow you cause you'd kill us otherwise, please let us go back to flaying people alive" bannermen grumbling unhappily at the back of the room. I'm sure they were kept pretty suppressed to stop them or their vassals getting too powerful in the North, hence why the Whitehills weren't ever given more Ironwood after they wasted theirs.

Brn2bwild posted: »

Which seems weird, because being the liege lords to both houses, the Starks should technically "like" both houses. Or at least, before the Red Wedding, the Whitehills' could have revered the Boltons and Starks without being contradictory.

• Because who in their right mind would marry a dirty Whithill mud person?

• After everyone knew she had something going on with asher no noble house would take her. She has lost her honour dudes. They have to wait until time has gone over it OR an other house is so desperate they would take her anyway.

• Well to be honest Robb was winning the war for a time being.

I fail to see the difference. On a side note. I find it amussing that he'd exile his son for falling in love with the wrong girl but follow a fucking dumb ass like Robb Stark to his death for no better reason than loyalty.

• Because I rejected her :)

• Plot twist: Gwyn is the wife of Garred.

• edited May 2015

I have won every battle, yet somehow I'm losing the war - Robb Stark

CWhirt910 posted: »

Well to be honest Robb was winning the war for a time being.

• edited May 2015

That might also tie back into the history of the North as well.

It certainly does for the Boltons who were kings in their own right back when the north was divided into several small warring kingdoms, and long before Aegon's conquest of most of Westeros except Dorne. The Stark kings unified the north largely by force of arms, and it was war that eventually caused the Boltons to bend the knee. Perhaps the Whitehills were also bannermen to the Bolton kings during that entire era, and like the Boltons, became vassals to the Starks only through conquest.

If that is the history of House Whitehill it might also explain why they remained so loyal to the Boltons and why the Forresters might have gotten a better deal from the Starks regarding Ironwood. The Forresters may have always been loyal Stark bannermen dating back to the era when they were kings.

Wolf6120 posted: »

Not necessarily. The Boltons are without doubt the least popular of the Stark bannermen. Everyone else is like best buds with the Starks, wo

• It's possible, the Whitehills have been Bolton bannerman for 'five fucking centuries'.

Scaeva posted: »

That might also tie back into the history of the North as well. It certainly does for the Boltons who were kings in their own right back

Sign in to comment in this discussion.