Another traitor thread

edited May 2015 in Game Of Thrones

If you choose the attack option when talking to Ludd, either Duncan or Royland will kill him. If one of them was a traitor I don't think they'd do that, let's be honest. If any of them is the traitor, then this scene was just a giant middle finger from Telltale. I think The Whitehills have like the Maester's family and he must obey them no matter what. Implying they're smart enough, the beating of the Maester was just a bluff. Lady Forrester wouldn't risk Ryon. Talia is too angered by Ethan's death to cooperate with them.
I think the traitor is:

1. Maester Ortengryn
  2. Someone from the garrison that was spying on the council
  3. Someone who has not been shown yet, though a member of the council finds highly trustworthy and often confines in them.

Comments

• edited May 2015

It basically has to be the Maester at the point.

Duncan and Royland are too loyal to house Forrestor. Duncan, a mere commener was given a prestigious position by the Forresters and was trusted above all others with information on the North Grove. Royland has served as Master of Arms since the Greyjoy rebelion and has shown a willingness to fight the Whitehills multiple times, even if it endangers his life (You can order Royland to attack in the scene with Gryff and Rodrik where you have to choose between defying or yielding to Gryff ) Either of them being the traitor goes completely against their character. Not to mention the "attack" scene.

Lady Forrester makes no sense as the traitor. She pushes for rescuing Ryon, and if you agree to that plan why would she turn around and tell the Whitehills this plan, risking Ryons safety because of it? Not to mention if she was the traitor she would have no reason to kill all the ravens, there is only one traitor. If that traitor was Lady Forrester she would know word wouldn't get to the Whitehills as long as she didn't say anything, regardless of what she did to the ravens.

If we're assuming this is a fair mystery that can be solved with clues presented in the story the Maester makes the most sense.

He was introduced early in the story.
    There has been evidence that's he's willing to work with the Whitehills (Offering them a deal.)
    He has the least connection and attachment to House Forrester.
    He is present at all the council meetings
    People have already shown their distrust for the Maester
    The fact that he was tortured by Gryff may turn some people off from this theroy, but there is no real evidence that Gryff knows or would believe the maester to be a traitor.

Really, at this point the only reason I don't 100% believe it to be the maester is because I believe it to be a bit too obvious.

• edited May 2015

How so ? You never thought that maybe the "traitor" was just acting with the promise of Ludd doing something for the House later on ?

Let's say Duncan is the traitor, Ludd asks him for his help in bringing the house down with as few casualties as possible (heck, might even have promised that everyone would live and have a decently comfortable life). Duncan thinks the House has no chance and agrees. However, in the Highpoint situation, he realizes that if things go bad here, only Talia will be left (Mira is out and Asher is godknowshowfar), thus most certainly dooming the House and bloodbath/rebellion would ensue. So he decides that he actually has to help his Lord despite being a traitor, to get out of this mess.

I've been thinking, you know, not every traitor is a selfish bastard, some people betray for reasons. Sometimes stupid, but good intentions nonetheless.

Or who knows, maybe at some point they wanted to betray but after Rodrik's majestuous struggle, decided to stop and redeem themselves, because let's be honest, as cool as that Attack sequence was, it was a death sentence.

All of that being said I'm also on the "Maester is the traitor" queue, just felt like sharing my view on how Duncan/Royland's attitude could be explain if one of them was the traitor.

• What if instead of Ludd holding the Maester's family, the Maester is actually Ludd's son who went to the Citadel.

• edited May 2015

The same Ludd that calmly watched as Ramsay Bolton killed the lord of House Forrester, who installed an oppressive garrison in the walls of Ironrath and who is destroying the lifeblood of House forrester? Ludd isn't trustworthy.We already know he's building an army to wipe out the Forresters. Not to mention Royland is far too rash to play the part of a spy and Duncan has a personal reason to not trust the Whitehills. They did kill his brother after all.

Byakuren posted: »

How so ? You never thought that maybe the "traitor" was just acting with the promise of Ludd doing something for the House later on ? Let

• The Maester is from the Vale. Besides, even if that is a lie the citadel wouldn't send a Whitehill to Ironrath.

What if instead of Ludd holding the Maester's family, the Maester is actually Ludd's son who went to the Citadel.

• Could he not lie?

If he lied to Citadel about being from the Vale then they couldn't know he's a Whitehill.

The Maester is from the Vale. Besides, even if that is a lie the citadel wouldn't send a Whitehill to Ironrath.

• Why lie? Does he not respect his family? If that's the case why would he turn around and assist them by spying on the Forresters? Not to mention there are hundreds of noble houses. The odds that this Whitehill would lie about his idenity and just happen to be sent to Ironrath is a bit far fetched and contrived.

Could he not lie? If he lied to Citadel about being from the Vale then they couldn't know he's a Whitehill.

• It is possible that Ludd wanted a spy in the Forester household despite the circumstances and made the Maester lie. He also could've volunteered to the Foresters, it's not like there would be people lining up to serve them.

Why lie? Does he not respect his family? If that's the case why would he turn around and assist them by spying on the Forresters? Not to men

• So Ludd sends his child to the citadel solely so he can come back and spy on the Forresters? That's too unpredictable. If the last Maester for House Forrester had lived longer then the Maester could very well have just been sent to some random court in Dorne. Just because a maester asks to serve at a certain court doesn't mean they'll get their wish. The odds of such a plan working would be so astronomically slim that Ludd would never attempt it.

It is possible that Ludd wanted a spy in the Forester household despite the circumstances and made the Maester lie. He also could've volunteered to the Foresters, it's not like there would be people lining up to serve them.

• It's just a theory...Plus you seem to forget this is just a video game and it won't be totally realistic.

So Ludd sends his child to the citadel solely so he can come back and spy on the Forresters? That's too unpredictable. If the last Maester f

• I agree with you, but because the attack scene results in death, it is therefore not canon.

• Royland/Duncan could still be traitors, since it's possible they regret what they have done and would side with Rodrik in a life/death situation.

Anyway, I still think there is no traitor. I believe in the small council.

• His accent would give him away if that would be the case. But he has no accent afaik

What if instead of Ludd holding the Maester's family, the Maester is actually Ludd's son who went to the Citadel.

• Just a theory.

ViTALiTY posted: »

His accent would give him away if that would be the case. But he has no accent afaik

Sign in to comment in this discussion.