How can Gared, Cotter and Finn read?

All of them are too lowborn enough to receive proper education

Comments

• I didn't say anything about them because I had nothing to say.

but what about Cotter, a wildling who was never a ward to anyone, and Finn, a peasant with no connection to a nearby lord.

• Gared was Lord Gregor's squire, it's possible that he ordered that Gared be taught how to read. Or maybe Duncan just taught him to read while Gared was living at Ironrath.

• but what about Cotter, a wildling who was never a ward to anyone, and Finn, a peasant with no connection to a nearby lord.

Lingvort posted: »

Gared was Lord Gregor's squire, it's possible that he ordered that Gared be taught how to read. Or maybe Duncan just taught him to read while Gared was living at Ironrath.

• in my opinion, it's most likely plot holes.

Lingvort posted: »

I didn't say anything about them because I had nothing to say.

• edited May 2015

Yeah, I agree, it's most likely that.

in my opinion, it's most likely plot holes.

• Because the ploy says so?

• That damn ploy.

JazzyTheMan posted: »

Because the ploy says so?

• It makes sense that Gared can read. He was a squire. Duncan is also Castellan, so perhaps he taught him. Finn and Cotter, though? Who knows.

• I don't think we know enough about Finn's background to say whether or not he should be able to read. It is implied that he is lying about it to a certain extent, since his reaction to both killing one of the wilding girls and Gared killing the Whitehill Night's Watchman (whose name I now forget) implies that he hadn't actually killed anyone before.

Cotter shouldn't be able to read though. He is a wildling.

Gared being able to read I don't see as an issue. His uncle is castellan and he was raised up to be Lord Gregor's squire.

• Duncan likely taught Gared.

Cotter, I'm not sure. Maybe there's more to his story that'll explain it? Same goes for Finn, we don't really know where he came from and evidence suggests he was lying about his whole story on how he got here. (Or exaggerated at the very least.)

Or, you know, plot holes.

• Uh, when do Cotter and Finn read?

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

When Cotter steals the map he knows what it says on the top, and when Finn sees it he mumbles, "The North Grove." while looking at it.

FishySticks posted: »

Uh, when do Cotter and Finn read?

• edited May 2015

Does Cotter say North Grove before Finn does?

Maybe he could tell what it was because he knows the area portrayed in the map? No idea how a wildling would be able to read like that.

Finn learning how to read doesn't seem too far off at least. Maybe he did it to impress that highborn girl he talks about ;]

I don't think a lady like that would fall for just any lowborn oaf out there.

He gives me the vibe that there's more to him than he lets on with that tough guy womanizer act of his. That dagger seems to have some big emotional value to him.

Methinks he loved that girl and can't let go.

dojo32161 posted: »

When Cotter steals the map he knows what it says on the top, and when Finn sees it he mumbles, "The North Grove." while looking at it.

• We do not know much about Finn. Also Cotter might be able to read a bit but not well.

• People are so quick to say plot holes in regards to this game for some reason.

We really don't know anything about Finn's past except for what he said, which everyone seems to agree might not be entirely true.

Gared was squire to a lord and his uncle was a castellan. No reason he shouldn't be able to read at all.

Cotter is the only one who doesn't have a reason to know how to read.

• Gared was the squire of a noble lord. The others I don'nt know

• They can't. Gared died from the wound in ep1 and this is all a dream PLOT TWIST

• LOL

Lewsblake23 posted: »

That damn ploy.

• So he took her 'husbands' dagger to remember her by? XD

Does Cotter say North Grove before Finn does? Maybe he could tell what it was because he knows the area portrayed in the map? No idea how

• Alt text

TheCatWolf posted: »

They can't. Gared died from the wound in ep1 and this is all a dream PLOT TWIST

• See, that's where his tough guy act plays a part.

Why would he keep a memento of who's responsible for trying to kill him and sending him to the wall? Why would he be so darn protective of it?

Most likely it was a gift from his lady, in truth.

AgentZ46 posted: »

So he took her 'husbands' dagger to remember her by? XD

• What if they were just taught how to read?

• It's an interesting theory and it makes sense. I'm a big Finn fan as well so I hope we get some backstory.

See, that's where his tough guy act plays a part. Why would he keep a memento of who's responsible for trying to kill him and sending him to the wall? Why would he be so darn protective of it? Most likely it was a gift from his lady, in truth.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.