a FEMINIST reading of TT's GOT

There are dominant female characters in GOT: Beskha in physical terms, when you have to fight Beskha, even when you correctly fight her, she gains the upper-hand; Mira can be played as a very deceitful and cunning character in King's Landing, trying the best for her family and Eleana Glenmore shows defiance against marrying a Whitehill, even in a time where arranged marriage is common.
I think credit is due, it's clear to see that females have been portrayed in equal, or even greater, ways to some men, even in a male dominated bunch of characters. What do you think about the portrayal of women in Game of Thrones? Is female subjection necessary for GOT due to the context of the time?

Comments

• [removed]

• edited May 2015

I'm not that into analyzing everything in a feminist context. However you're right, and it has been standing out more and more to me as episodes are released. I'm especially a fan of Elaena's defiance and Beskha's depth of character, and even the younger girls Talia and now Sylvi are portrayed as capable and important in their own right.

• Telltale always write great female characters-Bloody Mary, Nerissa and Snow White in TWAU, Clementine, Jane and Molly in TWD, Fiona and Sasha in TFTB and Mira, Beskha and Talia in GOT.

• Feminism is fine all they want are equal rights for women around the world.

Feminazis on the other hand...

• I dont really get the distinction, I dont think anyone identifies as a feminazi, their still a feminist. I think the more insane feminists dicredit the whole movement

Feminism is fine all they want are equal rights for women around the world. Feminazis on the other hand...

• I think judging feminism in the series is kind of pointless, its a medieval setting. Women were not equal really and the problems with that for both genders is identified. The characters all relieve fairly equal attention

• I think those would be called Extreme Feminists.

I dont really get the distinction, I dont think anyone identifies as a feminazi, their still a feminist. I think the more insane feminists dicredit the whole movement

• edited May 2015

A mental disorder? Really? So a person who wants EQUAL rights between the sexes has a metal disorder? First of all, you are insulting an actual mentally challanged person, it is not a joke and you can't be using that term however you like. Second, I suggest you read about feminism and why it's actually just as important for the men as women. See how I can make my point without insulting anybody? Please, in the futute, be more careful with your choosing of words.

• Yeah, Talia is coveyed as a strong character!

LoseMyHome posted: »

I'm not that into analyzing everything in a feminist context. However you're right, and it has been standing out more and more to me as epis

• Metal Disorder seems like a great album title though.

sabinas posted: »

A mental disorder? Really? So a person who wants EQUAL rights between the sexes has a metal disorder? First of all, you are insulting an act

• It doesnt and shouldnt matter.
    This is a piece of fiction with artistic freedom, just like any book or film.
    It is completely up to the artist to portray the characters, there is no good and bad when it comes to female characters. It just depends on the vision of the artist, like what ruleset the world is going to have etc.
    If it was a setting in which women get oppressed it would be fine, cause its a fictional setting and it is what the artists vision of how his work should be.
    There should not be a checklist of political correct things when you create art, it should be completely free and rated on what it offers, and not wether it is tailored around a political correct checklist.

• 'Male or female, I believe in painting in shades of grey,' he says. 'All of the characters should be flawed; they should all have good and bad, because that's what I see. Yes, it’s fantasy, but the characters still need to be real.’ George's vision isn't to write all-powerful female characters, it's to stray away from stereotypes and write well-developed characters, male or female. I remember this one interview where he plainly says "You know, I've always considered women to be people". I think that says a lot about his writing style, as well as Telltale's. The simply write about human beings, not only powerful men or only powerful women. Flawed, realistic characters. Kudos to that!

• A FEMINIST reading of TT's GOT

a-am I on tumblr..?

• [removed]

• Not always, but yeah most of the time. :P

Telltale always write great female characters-Bloody Mary, Nerissa and Snow White in TWAU, Clementine, Jane and Molly in TWD, Fiona and Sasha in TFTB and Mira, Beskha and Talia in GOT.

• edited May 2015

This isn't a feminist reading: it only talks about the presentation of women - feminism examines sex constructs as a whole, not just the women side.

Also, I'm betting most people bashing feminism here have never taken a trip to the library and read feminist theory before saying they so strongly oppose it, judging by the absurd preconceptions of its application I'm seeing here.

If you think feminism is limited to tumblr, then you really can't have had much experience of theoretical academia, or even done much research at all, and despising something you know clearly little about is just as idiotic as you perceive the movement to be.

• edited May 2015

They often do, but they do most often write about half as many female characters as male ones. But they're improving on that front, a bit, with GoT.

Telltale always write great female characters-Bloody Mary, Nerissa and Snow White in TWAU, Clementine, Jane and Molly in TWD, Fiona and Sasha in TFTB and Mira, Beskha and Talia in GOT.

• edited May 2015

Did I log onto Tumblr by accident? No?! Shit...

Alright, joking aside, it shouldn't really matter considering the fact that GoT is pure fiction. As someone above me said, it's George RR Martin's story, he can write whatever he wants, not ours.

• Well said! I applaud you. Feminism is not even close to what people seem to think it is (and definitely not limited to tumblr, so just... stop). And anyone saying they are a feminist, but disregard the male population, or thinking it's about women overpowering men, is not a feminist.

Flog61 posted: »

This isn't a feminist reading: it only talks about the presentation of women - feminism examines sex constructs as a whole, not just the wom

• edited May 2015

Totally! I'm yet to meet a single person who disagrees with feminism after actually researching it.

Found this amazing image today highlighting one problem the movement faces :D

Alt text

sabinas posted: »

Well said! I applaud you. Feminism is not even close to what people seem to think it is (and definitely not limited to tumblr, so just... st

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

There have been some reported posts in this thread so i would like to ask everyone to try and keep this discussion civil as these type of discussions have caused some arguments in the past.

Please remember the "Respect" rule in the Forum Guidelines.

1.1 R-E-S-P-E-C-T! We're all here to have fun, so be cool to each other. Always behave respectfully towards other community members, moderators and Telltale team members. Insults, hate speech, platform wars… leave it out. Constructive criticism of another user's opinions or actions is OK, but refrain from insulting users/volunteer moderators/Telltale staff members themselves - whether directly or in passing. If you feel especially slighted by another forum member, use the "Flag" button to report their comments to moderators instead of shooting back!

• Modern feminism.

Hilarious joke.

• edited May 2015

How much research into theoretical feminism have you done? Which books have you read by which professors?

unless, of course, you think tumblr-style feminism is actual feminisn, but I'm sure you wouldn't make that mistake.

After all hating a movement without experiencing what that movement actually asks for is like hating a game without having played it.

Viva-La-Lee posted: »

Modern feminism. Hilarious joke.

• Just giving an example m8. I do realize, that was just an example.

Well, I mean, there are problems of sexism in the western world... Western non-muslim feminists can't really do that much about the middle east can they..? How would they?

• See, I do agree with the movement, but sadly, there are alot of people who say they're "Feminists" but they are women who try to just overpower men. (I call them Feminazis) Instead of looking at the problems of sexism in the Middle East and trying to fix that. So, it's awesome that we have actual feminists rather than people claiming to be, but know nothing. (Heh, see what I did there?)

Totally! I'm yet to meet a single person who disagrees with feminism after actually researching it. Found this amazing image today highlighting one problem the movement faces

• edited May 2015

Well, I mean, there are problems of sexism in the western world...

Western non-muslim feminists can't really do that much about the middle east can they..? How would they?

ISantCpell posted: »

See, I do agree with the movement, but sadly, there are alot of people who say they're "Feminists" but they are women who try to just overpo

• I'd recommend closing this thread, it's already off topic and it'll undoubtedly get worse.

OzzyUK posted: »

There have been some reported posts in this thread so i would like to ask everyone to try and keep this discussion civil as these type of di

• edited May 2015

Sorry Moderator-Senpai. :P

OzzyUK posted: »

There have been some reported posts in this thread so i would like to ask everyone to try and keep this discussion civil as these type of di

• Well, there is a point in that. By supporting feminism (or equality, if the word feminism is so disturbing to some people) and if we acknowledge it - we can't directly help people in the third word however we want, but we can be a part of it :) My teacher said this once: if you don't need feminism, believe in it for the people who can't do it themselves. And like I said, those claiming to be feminists, but don't include the men, are not feminists. I'm not saying feminism is without problems, but it's much more complex and important than people think.

ISantCpell posted: »

Just giving an example m8. I do realize, that was just an example.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

You have a good point there.

Sorry if this may seem harsh but i am going to close this thread as things seem to be a bit tense and people are starting to go offtopic into general feminism which could potentially cause some fights.

I'd recommend closing this thread, it's already off topic and it'll undoubtedly get worse.

This discussion has been closed.