Book readers

edited June 2015 in Game Of Thrones

man why are the majority of the book readers a bunch of dick? not from here yall are very respectful and keep it spoiler free, but what a bunch of dicks.

after the great episode last night i was anxious to re watch the battle and i went to youtube and i was one of the first comments and everything was spoiler free and i was nerding out with a fellow show watcher that doest read the books. and then some fucking asshole comes out and spoils me something i didnt want to know AT ALL. (SPOILERS BELLOW!)

i was talking about my man crush of Jon Snow ( yeah.. idk what else to name it.) and then this dick spoils me his fate. im like ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS???!! goddamn it...

Comments

• edited June 2015

Not all book readers are arseholes, it's only a minority of idiots who does that. Some arseholes can spoil to everyone without even reading a book after being spoiled like you on the last line of your rant.

• You have to be careful. There are a lot of people who take pleasure out of spoiling things for others. Ive actually had people admitting to this gleefully. But just because its in tue books doesnt necessarily mean its going to happen in the show. They have changed a lot.

• i know, but i seen a lot of them spoiling others too. i mean i seen various and thank the gods i was already past those spoilers. but what a bunch of dicks..

Drakonys posted: »

Not all book readers are arseholes, it's only a minority of idiots who does that. Some arseholes can spoil to everyone without even reading a book after being spoiled like you on the last line of your rant.

• I'm not either.

• I only spoiled part of the books to one person because they were being a very unpleasant person in a comment thread on Facebook. Whether or not non-book readers saw the spoiler when they didn't want to doesn't bother me because that person deserved to be spoiled.

• edited June 2015

I am a book reader and what you see is a drop of trolls in the ocean of good people in the community. There are bad apples everywhere in every community that doesn't mean that if the bad apples scream louder that the good apples that every apple is bad.

jamex1223 posted: »

i know, but i seen a lot of them spoiling others too. i mean i seen various and thank the gods i was already past those spoilers. but what a bunch of dicks..

• yeah they said that this wasnt in the books. i mean he events were in the books but it was just a story, not a POV

KCohere posted: »

You have to be careful. There are a lot of people who take pleasure out of spoiling things for others. Ive actually had people admitting to

• i know i said the dicks that spoil it are assholes.

Churned posted: »

I'm not either.

• Let me just start with the “I’m a book reader and I’m not a dick” (also, I don’t like to give spoilers).

Now, to the point. As far as my experience goes, there are a sufficient number of people that like giving spoilers about things. They may not care for spoilers, don’t think about it this way or just be dicks, but they exist in a sufficient amount that you cannot go to a discussion about series/books/games like this without expecting to stumble in one.

So, to resume it, it is not that book readers are dicks. It is that there are a lot of people how love to talk about spoilers. In fact, I think it comes from the same need we have to tell new information to someone, to show that we now something new.

• Eh, soon the roles will be reversed, and you can have your sweet revenge.

We're so close to passing the books now.

• nah im not like that. btw where is the season in the books? book 4 or 5?

FishySticks posted: »

Eh, soon the roles will be reversed, and you can have your sweet revenge. We're so close to passing the books now.

• The majority of the time its some idiot whos read the wiki that spoils it not a book reader

• Coming towards the end of book 5. Huge chucks have been cut though. Thats youtube for you, i was spoiled after season 1 over the red wedding. Im glad i was spoiled because it forced me to read the books

nah im not like that. btw where is the season in the books? book 4 or 5?

• You don't read youtube comments on GOT videos, ever. This shouldn't be the way but it is.

I learnt this the hard way as well. In the season 2 trailer, one commentor asked who a particular new character was and someone explained who this person was in relation to a well loved fellow, ending with "and then he died".

• Book Readers are elitists because they believe they're the ones who got into the Song of Ice and Fire Universe through the better source (the books) rather than the 'fanfic' TV series.

• edited June 2015

There is always going to be a minority of people who either because they take glee in ruining something for others, or because they are morons who don't think before they post, will drop major spoilers without a warning. It isn't just limited to A Song of Ice and Fire or Game of Thrones. Lets say for example that a major character dies in the next Star Wars movie. I guarantee that if you go to the trailer on youtube and read the comment section at some point after release, there will be at least a couple people openly discussing that character's death without spoiler warnings.

The bottom line is that if you want to remain entirely spoiler free you have to avoid some corners of the net. Youtube's comment section is among the worst. People don't use spoiler warnings there at all, and there is no moderation so there is no shortage off trolls.

Having said all of that, don't freak out yet about the Jon Snow spoilers....

• edited June 2015

After getting stabbed he might not be permanently dead. There are a lot of hints in the books both that his death won't be final. In fact its not even clear in the book whether he was fatally stabbed or just seriously wounded.

One popular fan theory is that he is dead but will end up getting resurrected by Melisandre.

One interesting fan spin off of the 'Melisandre is going to resurrect him theory' is that Stannis is killed, Melisandre believing he is the prophesized Azor Ahai does a ritual to resurrect him and in the process burns Shireen, but instead of calling for Stannis to be resurrected in her spell she calls for Azor Ahai to be reborn. Afterwards she is confused why the spell didn't work and Stannis is still dead. Meanwhile on the Wall Jon Snow's eyes open.

• Book readers aren't the worst. People who just research spoilers to using against his fellow fan are the scum of the earth

• Eh, the books and show are just about caught up. As long as a certain something happens by Episode 10, which is likely considering Pod's actor claimed that episode would "break the internet", then there'll be nothing for us to spoil. Except Jon's parentage. But that's still not confirmed either. Though heavily hinted.

• edited June 2015

That's mostly because the show cuts a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of good content. They could've easily had another season or two if they stuck closer to the book story. We don't HATE the show, we just don't like it when they cut out things like Lady Stoneheart, the Young Griff storyline, half the Night's Watch characters, the Kettlebacks, changing Sansa's entire storyline to go to Winterfell instead of becoming a player of the game of thrones, the removal of most of the Wildling characters and Mance and Tormund's personalities ("See, lad, that's why he's king and I'm not. I can outdrink, outfight, and outsing him, and my member's thrice the size o' his, but Mance has cunning"), the removal of just about all the dreams and visions (hence why Bran's storyline makes no sense for show watchers), how they simplify the story, how the Greyjoys haven't appeared for 2 whole seasons (which also means the Greyjoy uncles haven't appeared), the removal of some memorable storylines, and Moonboy, for all I know.

We all admit over on /r/asoiaf that Hardhome was damn amazing. You don't see it in the book since Jon doesn't go there with Tormund, but Tormund's letter mentions a lot of creepy sounding shit. Plus the reveal that Valyrian steel is capable of killing Others, which is only hinted at in the books.

Almost forgot all the other cut characters, like Patchface, Penny, Vargo Hoat, Edric Storm (hence why Gendry is rowing around the ocean for 3 seasons), Jeyne Westerling, Strong Belwas, Arianne Martell, Quentyn Martell, Coldhands, and Barristan's death by adaption, even though he's still alive in the books.

JetLee posted: »

Book Readers are elitists because they believe they're the ones who got into the Song of Ice and Fire Universe through the better source (the books) rather than the 'fanfic' TV series.

• I have watched a few people on Youtubre talk about the show and they usually ask people not to do that but it always happens.

Alt text

• There's also ADWD's Varamyr Sixskins prologue, where he wargs into one of his wolves upon death. Jon has been shown to be able to subconsciously warg into Ghost, so that could help him keep his sanity better than Lady Stoneheart, who was dead for 3 days and changed a lot.

• edited June 2015

I dont think they can "easily" do anything considering how massively expensive the show must be to produce. People who just want a step by step recreation of the books arent considering what goes into making a show like this. It must be damn hard and i dont think the producers get near enough credit for their success, only fans complaining about almost everything.

LeFedore posted: »

That's mostly because the show cuts a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of good content. They could've easily had another season or two if they stuck c

• edited June 2015

The show has to cut stuff.

You can't cram entire books, including every minor character or sideplot, into a ten or twelve episode television series. I don't agree with all the changes made by the television series, but some have been for the better. I agree with the decision to cut Jeyne Poole for example. She's far too minor to justify including her in the TV series when you absolutely need to the cut story down a bit compared to what's in the books.

I'm a book reader as well, but not a purist who believes any and every change or cut of book content automatically makes the television series awful.

That's mostly because the show cuts a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of good content. They could've easily had another season or two if they stuck c

• They can easily push for a higher budget or more episodes a season with the amount of money the show rakes in for HBO.

KCohere posted: »

I dont think they can "easily" do anything considering how massively expensive the show must be to produce. People who just want a step by s

• edited June 2015

I don't think every change is awful. Bronn, Osha, Jorah, Daario, and other characters are much more entertaining on the show. I just hate it when it leads to pointless things like "I could carve through the lot of you like butter" Selmy and loss of really interesting plots. Arianne, for example, would've been better than the god awful Sand Snakes plot this season. Mance's story has been given to Brienne, despite Brienne's story being the best look into the common folk's troubles. If I give the show credit for one thing universally it's the casting. I've always had trouble thinking of the appearances in my head, and having a face and a voice makes the characters much more memorable when reading the books. Also, Hardhome was fucking amazing. And Tyrion and Dany finally meeting.

I actually started with the show, started reading the books after Season 4 ended.

It also really annoys me when people can't even remember the characters' names. I loved this season because up until episode 7 nobody had said Khaleesi. And then Jorah immediately says "Khaleesi?"

And hey, don't forget that awesome book moment where Tyrion slips on a banana peel and dies! Can't wait to see the show reaction to that!

Scaeva posted: »

The show has to cut stuff. You can't cram entire books, including every minor character or sideplot, into a ten or twelve episode televis

• Im sure if they could they would but i am also sure negotiating tv deals is far more complicated then just demanding more money and episodes. I always say and i believe, they are doing as well with the material as anyone could given their restrictions and the fact that theyre almost out pacing the books.

They can easily push for a higher budget or more episodes a season with the amount of money the show rakes in for HBO.

• I have only been spoiled by two things so far; a certain death of someone sittin' on a toilet, and, the Julius Caesar-esque ending of A Dance With Dragons.

I hate spoilers. I hate being spoiled and I hate even giving spoilers. The outcome of The Mountain VS The Red Viper accidentally slipped out of my mouth one day when talking with a friend who had just started Season 4. I felt so angry at myself that I ruined something so awesome for someone who had little to no idea.

I'm actually glad I wasn't spoiled by other major events whilst I first binged the television series. I didn't see The Red Wedding coming at all, and I was left stunned by the end of it- almost on the verge of tears. ( I am a very emotional person. )
    I'm glad I wasn't spoiled, because The Red Wedding actually made the show so great for me. It was the death of two of my favourite characters. And something that still makes me tear up when I watch it today.

It was hands down the best thing I have ever seen on TV!

Not all book readers are like those little gremlins you see in the comments of YouTube videos. My buddy Daniel is a book reader and he knew about GoT/ASoIaF before anyone of my friends and I even acknowledged it. And he never once spoiled anything for any of us.

I even started reading the books a few months back and I've just started A Storm Of Swords Part 2. I see why people enjoy them more than the show, because they are so expansive and detailed! I love them already.
    But, the show will always be a little bit better to me because it was the first medium of GoT/ASoIaF I got into!

• No you can't fit the books into 7 series of 10 episodes. You could have a good chance at doing it with 10 series of 22 episodes. 10 is a rather arbitrary number really and even HBO have said that they would like 10 series and have placed the decision firmly on the shoulders of the show runners D&D. The good thing is that given the popularity of GoT and the fact that the show will end before the novels gives a good chance of a remake some time in the next 20 years or so.

The show has to cut stuff. You can't cram entire books, including every minor character or sideplot, into a ten or twelve episode televis

• man true

The majority of the time its some idiot whos read the wiki that spoils it not a book reader

• lol!

I have watched a few people on Youtubre talk about the show and they usually ask people not to do that but it always happens.

• damn.... that sucks

wait so whats next season?? still gonna be book 5?

tmsmyth4 posted: »

Coming towards the end of book 5. Huge chucks have been cut though. Thats youtube for you, i was spoiled after season 1 over the red wedding. Im glad i was spoiled because it forced me to read the books

• Don't worry. No one really knows for sure what's going to happen with Jon.

Im sorry that a fellow book reader spoiled you like that though. I think most of us are just jealous that your story will be finished before ours will :)

• Having said all of that, don't freak out yet about the Jon Snow spoilers...

There is always going to be a minority of people who either because they take glee in ruining something for others, or because they are moro

• yes man like you said some are just assholes. i too, am planning to read the books.

Fordee09 posted: »

I have only been spoiled by two things so far; a certain death of someone sittin' on a toilet, and, the Julius Caesar-esque ending of A Danc

• edited June 2015

Next season might have some elements of book 4/5 (think of them as one book), but the majority of season 6 will be new to everyone! GRRM is trying to finish book 6 before season 6 which probably wont happen, either way the show will spoil future books eventually and give us an ending long before GRRM does! Book readers trying to avoid spoilers will have to avoid most of the Internet for 5 years waiting for book 7 while they discuss Benjen=Dario=Euron on book-only forums

damn.... that sucks wait so whats next season?? still gonna be book 5?

• Reading books does not make you a dick. Embrace the library! Grow a spine and bookmark your next visit!

• Joffrey dies, so does Robb.

i know, but i seen a lot of them spoiling others too. i mean i seen various and thank the gods i was already past those spoilers. but what a bunch of dicks..

• In fairness, the show has departed pretty substantially from the books. The ending might be similar, but I will still watch and read the books when they come out. Assuming GRRM doesn't die before he finishes the series.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

Next season might have some elements of book 4/5 (think of them as one book), but the majority of season 6 will be new to everyone! GRRM is

• i didnt say that. wtf?.... i said people who read the books spoil it for the show watchers who dont read the books. i will probably read the books.

sunfell posted: »

Reading books does not make you a dick. Embrace the library! Grow a spine and bookmark your next visit!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.