question for the people who have read the books, how close has season 5 been to the books?

what changes were made and were you happy with these changes?

Comments

• edited June 2015

I stopped watching after season 4, cause they were veering into Winds of Winter territory. But i have heard that there are lots of major storyline changes.

• Jaime and Bronn end up going to Dorne instead of the Riverlands, and interact with the Sand Snakes (who are meant to be locked in a tower somewhere.)

• no Young Griff at all, which means Varys and Tyrion go straight to Dany

• Ja'quen H'gar is in Braavos waiting for Arya at the House of B&W

I'm sure there are lots more changes, these are just what i've heard in my self imposed distance.

• you stopped because you havent gotten to that part, or because you dont like the changes??

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I stopped watching after season 4, cause they were veering into Winds of Winter territory. But i have heard that there are lots of major sto

• Because i like the books way more than the show, and I don't want the show to spoil the books for me. I will watch them eventually though.

jamex1223 posted: »

you stopped because you havent gotten to that part, or because you dont like the changes??

• So far, very different. I'm certainly not watching season 6 unless The Winds of Winter is out, and I'm not certain then. Nothing has really happened so far that I would consider too spoilery though, perhaps a death or two of people who are still alive in the books and may not stay that way, and also basically confirmation of the most popular book theory which I won't go into here. Oh and the whole Sansa in Winterfell thing isn't in the books either. Her role goes to a poor lass named Jeyne Poole, Sansa's best friend. As Arya_Stupid (lovely name by the way) said, Dorne is very different too, they've cut a key (in Dorne at the least) character and her plot and reshuffled a lot down there.

• I have a question for anyone who knows did they cut out "Nimble" Dick Crab and Hiel Hunt (I think that is how you spell his name) in the show form Brienne's story line? I know already that Rorge and Biter got taken out of her story.

• Oh and Jorah's arc has been mixed with a book character named Griff too, whom Arya_Stupid touched on up there. Wall stuff has been mixed around and amped up too, though that all seems to be leading to the same place anyway. There's more I'm sure, but that's what occurs to me now.

• The way they killed Ser Barristan Selmy in the show was very dissappointing. I can't explain why it felt so stupid with my english but somehow I feel that writers of the TV show just wanted to kill some widely liked character.

Sending Sansa to the North was good decision from writers if her story continues like Jayne's (not sure of her name it has been some time since i did read last book) who marries Ramsay while pretending to be Arya Stark.

Bronn is a good and fun character so it's nice that they kept him in the TV-show. But sending him with Jaimie to Dorne for rescue mission has been a bit dissappointing so far but I won't judge it before seeing the last two episodes of the season.

Don't have opinion about Brienne or Podrick yet have to see end of the season how it works out.

• Some changes in the show have been.
    One example is Twyin being in Harrenhal rather than Roose. I really liked the interaction with him and Arya in the show.
    But some changes, espically this season, like Jamie going to Dorne was just really poor. His time in the Riverlands is much more enjoyable in the books.

• I know what you mean, I think it's because I feel he was worth way more than that. It was a cheap death for him and felt a bit rushed, as if the writers were eager to kill him and move the story along. Also, I don't like the way we were supposed to forget that the Unsullied have short swords, just so we could buy into the "They were defeated because it's a small space" argument.

• edited June 2015

You're right ... Still I don't regret it ,like you i like the books more than the show , but the best episode i've ever seen is in this season so i don't regret it .

Because i like the books way more than the show, and I don't want the show to spoil the books for me. I will watch them eventually though.

• Yeah but it looks like the wandering priest(forgot his name, the dude with dog) might be in season six.

I have a question for anyone who knows did they cut out "Nimble" Dick Crab and Hiel Hunt (I think that is how you spell his name) in the show form Brienne's story line? I know already that Rorge and Biter got taken out of her story.

• Cool thanks. Dick Crab is one of my favorite minor characters in the books that stinks.

Yeah but it looks like the wandering priest(forgot his name, the dude with dog) might be in season six.

• edited June 2015

-Loras Tyrell is apparently the heir to Highgarden. They've ignored his older brothers despite GRRM's disapproval.

-No Lady Stoneheart so Brienne's story line is completely different.

-No Arianne so a lot of things are different in Dorne concerning story lines

-No Young Griff. Khaleesi has taken over his story line

-No Greyjoys so no assaults on Deepwood Motte

-Jaime's and Bronne's story lines are also way different since they're in Dorne now

-No Wyman Manderly so the North just seems like a battle between Stannis vs. Roose and Ramsay although it goes way deeper than that. (see Northern Conspiracy)

Honestly i could go on and on but you get the point, a LOT has been changed. It's unfair to call it an adaption from now on more like a pretty accurate fan fiction.

• The latest episode had a few spoilers. Jon goes to Hardhome so it is a show change but there are certain things we learn in that episode about the others which we don't know in the books yet. Oh and Dany and Tyrion meeting for the first time. But we don't know how that will really go in the books it could be very different. At least I hope the dialogue is better. :)

I stopped watching after season 4, cause they were veering into Winds of Winter territory. But i have heard that there are lots of major sto

• Well i'm glad to know that a book lover is still into the show, even with all of the changes :)

alikir34 posted: »

You're right ... Still I don't regret it ,like you i like the books more than the show , but the best episode i've ever seen is in this season so i don't regret it .

• Your comment about learning stuff about the White Walkers/Others, that we don't know yet in the books. That is why i stopped watching.

I don't care about the stuff they've changed from the books (spoiler-wise), it's the things that they Haven't changed that i don't want to be spoiled. Most major things, you can tell where the storylines have diverged. But the devil is in the details, it's hard to tell this late in the Game with new info - is it GRRM info, or D&D info?

Sarson posted: »

The latest episode had a few spoilers. Jon goes to Hardhome so it is a show change but there are certain things we learn in that episode abo

• Septon Meribald and Dog.

Yeah but it looks like the wandering priest(forgot his name, the dude with dog) might be in season six.

• I agree kaza, that was one of my favorite changes from the books too. Arya and Tywin were great in those scenes, i also liked that it implied that Tywin wasn't as all seeing, all powerful as everyone seemed to think.

kaza125 posted: »

Some changes in the show have been. One example is Twyin being in Harrenhal rather than Roose. I really liked the interaction with him and

• No Arrianne at all? Or Wyman either? Crap.

Wyman is one of the best supporting characters in DWD! Hands down!

theHound posted: »

-Loras Tyrell is apparently the heir to Highgarden. They've ignored his older brothers despite GRRM's disapproval. -No Lady Stoneheart so

• As theHound said, a lot of changes an IMO anyone that I would particularly praise. In other seasons there were moments I could say, “man, this was better than in the books” (a few, but there were), but none until this point (even if the one in Hardhome can be considered a nice addition, I’m waiting to see what this will change in the rest of the storyline).

• Thats hard to say. They are working from two books, theyve changed a lot, theyve put characters in different storylines, dropped some things, added others. Personally, im quite happy with it because im having much more fun not knowing exactly whats going to happen, but some things hat i have been waiting for i also get to see. Best of both worlds.

• I hated that they made her all friendly with Tywin. At least he's gone now.

I agree kaza, that was one of my favorite changes from the books too. Arya and Tywin were great in those scenes, i also liked that it implied that Tywin wasn't as all seeing, all powerful as everyone seemed to think.

• I didn't think they were overly friendly. I guess i saw it as, Arya knowing she had a good position, and being smart enough to be grateful and just polite enough. And Tywin seeing that she was smart, and duly grateful of his generosity, and treating her as such.

But, i admit it has been quite a while since i watched those episodes. So, i may be misremembering things.

KCohere posted: »

I hated that they made her all friendly with Tywin. At least he's gone now.

• I dont think youre wrong, i just hate Tywin so much that i wanted Arya to stab him, not break bread with him.

I didn't think they were overly friendly. I guess i saw it as, Arya knowing she had a good position, and being smart enough to be grateful a

• You may not even consider the thing I'm thinking of as too big a deal. And it's not like it's something that nobody has thought of. It was no shock. It was more like a "huh now we know" moment. It's not like we found out that the winter king is a secret Stark or something. But yeah I hope that GRRM is going to make the books different, even though he's said the ending will be the same I just hope that there are significant changes

Your comment about learning stuff about the White Walkers/Others, that we don't know yet in the books. That is why i stopped watching. I

• No Quentin either. Seems like Doran only has one kid in the show.

No Arrianne at all? Or Wyman either? Crap. Wyman is one of the best supporting characters in DWD! Hands down!

• They haven't cast Wyman yet nor have they ruled out the possibility of him appearing but yea, he isn't in the show.

No Arrianne at all? Or Wyman either? Crap. Wyman is one of the best supporting characters in DWD! Hands down!

• Lol. I see, well i can't fault you for that. I wished the same thing while it was playing out.

KCohere posted: »

I dont think youre wrong, i just hate Tywin so much that i wanted Arya to stab him, not break bread with him.

• Damn, that's dissapointing for sure. I love him in Winterfell. Hell, even at White Harbour he was the shit!

theHound posted: »

They haven't cast Wyman yet nor have they ruled out the possibility of him appearing but yea, he isn't in the show.

• Meh, i was never a fan of Quentyn's storyline anyways. So they're only using Trystane, cause they've already engaged him to Myrcella then?

No Quentin either. Seems like Doran only has one kid in the show.

• Yup

Meh, i was never a fan of Quentyn's storyline anyways. So they're only using Trystane, cause they've already engaged him to Myrcella then?

• I'm kind of amazed at all of the stuff/people they're leaving out of the show.

Yup

Sign in to comment in this discussion.