Why did Gregor exile Asher?

I know he had an affair with Gwyn. But he didn't rape her. She definitely love him, too. (I doubt they did sexual things, because if they did, in GOT world, Gwyn can only marry Asher or a very old widower.) Before the red wedding, House Forrester didn't need to be afraid of Whitehill. Then why?

Comments

• To avoid war as simple as that.

• I think it was because the Whitehills were threatening a war over it. "Last time I saw you, you and my brother had nearly started a war", I believe Rodrik says. Gregor had to choose between fighting a war or getting rid of the problem, meaning he exiled Asher to keep it from happening.

• edited June 2015

Oh... but still i can't understand Gregor and whitehill. Why was Gregor so afraid of war? Abandon his boy because he didn't want to start a war? After the red wedding, maybe. But before it?
    And Whitehill, what's wrong with him? Starting a war is same as publically anouncing his daughter is not a good marriage partner.(questioning her virginity.)

• I think between Asher and Rodrik they would have never stopped or reasoned with the Whitehills. This would cause warfare with not only the Whitehills but the Boltons and with Rodrik being his first born and true Ayr, Asher was booted

• The suggestion is, as Lady Forrester said, that Asher basically exiled himself. He grew up violent, angry and impulsive, was always the black sheep of the family, and had no interest in ruling, so once it was clear that he couldn't have Gwyn, then there was nothing keeping him in Westeros. Like many second sons, he went off to explore the world and make his fortune. Perhaps Gregor just exiled him 'officially' to appease Lord Whitehill, knowing that Asher wouldn't stay anyway. And if anything, Lord Whitehill was announcing that he didn't believe Asher was a worthy marriage partner for his daughter, which may be true, it had nothing to do with Gwyn.

Oh... but still i can't understand Gregor and whitehill. Why was Gregor so afraid of war? Abandon his boy because he didn't want to start a

• Assuming this went down before the Red Wedding and all, how could a war even happen? Wouldn't the Starks step in to break up a fight?

• Yeah, if Asher exiled himself, then i can understand Gregor. Thanks. I forgot what lady Forrester said about him.

The suggestion is, as Lady Forrester said, that Asher basically exiled himself. He grew up violent, angry and impulsive, was always the blac

• Yet Asher clearly wants to return to Westeros.

The suggestion is, as Lady Forrester said, that Asher basically exiled himself. He grew up violent, angry and impulsive, was always the blac

• edited June 2015

I think the Starks and The Boltons were busy too busy fighting the Lannisters to step into this pissing match between two small houses plus The Whitehills are sworn to The Boltons while The Forresters are sworn to the Starks so the whole thing would just be awkward lolz

theHound posted: »

Assuming this went down before the Red Wedding and all, how could a war even happen? Wouldn't the Starks step in to break up a fight?

• edited June 2015

Sure. After 4-5 years away. He's grown up a bit. It's not necessarily 'him versus the world' anymore.

Yet Asher clearly wants to return to Westeros.

• Asher also says that him and his father never got along and that it was more his Uncle that raised him. Dose not seem like it was a hard choice for Lord Forrester. Just an exuse to get rid of a thorn in his side. He had three other male children anyway. No need to keep Asher around.

• I'm pretty sure by "he exiled himself" she meant it was his own fault Asher was definitely kicked out he didn't want to leave.

• I think it's cause there's some kind of rivalry that has been happening between the two houses and Asher fell in love with Gwyn, the Forrester's sworn enemy, they exiled Asher I think so that nothing bad happens between the houses.

• They said Asher exiled himself

• If Asher didn't want to leave, then he'd still be in Westeros, just not on the Forrester lands. Possibly as a travelling hedge knight of some kind. He hasn't broken the law, like Jorah did, so even if Gregor kicked him out of Ironrath, there's nothing he could do to force him out of the continent. Therefore he's in Essos, because he wanted to be, at least at the time.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'm pretty sure by "he exiled himself" she meant it was his own fault Asher was definitely kicked out he didn't want to leave.

• Well at the very least he was kicked out of the House he definitely didn't want that.

If Asher didn't want to leave, then he'd still be in Westeros, just not on the Forrester lands. Possibly as a travelling hedge knight of som

• "Oh Romeo, my Romeo"

• Asher is Ludd's son, even Gregor knew it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.