TV Show?

Is the Game of Thrones TV show just getting worse? I personally read all the books before I watched any of the show, and I have to say that I favor the books a lot more. The show has done an amazing job, of course. Being able to fit that much intricacy and plot and characters into a visual representation is incredibly hard to do, and I understand that the show does have limitations (budget, time, etc.) I also understand that the Song of Ice and Fire novels are huge and not everybody has the time or patience for such a big commitment, which is why I'm glad the show exists so this epic story can be told a fair bit easier.

Two of my friends watched the show before I did, while I was reading the books, and granted, it did sound pretty cool. But as the seasons have progressed to the point where I find myself saying "That never happened" more often than not. In the first 2 seasons they stuck to the books remarkably well and I thought they did a fantastic job. Then season 3 rolled around and I was slightly mad that they took a lot of important elements out of the first half of the third book. (Wise decision by splitting up the third book by the way.) Then in the 4th season I just found myself just growing bored with it. I didn't find it as exciting or as complicated and intricate as the books were, and again, important elements to the development of the plot and characters were continually left out. At this point, I've decided to just stop watching altogether; so many important plot elements and incredibly important actions that drive the plot of characters and Houses and regions are left out that I really cannot continue because I am no longer enjoying it.

I'm glad that the TV show is branching away from the books. I don't care for the TV show anymore, but I don't hold that to anyone who does like it. The show does have a lot of awesome moments. I just feel like the story is getting too simplified and predictable, and a lot of the surprise and intensity of the plot in the books is lost as the TV show continues on. I feel like people aren't getting a good deal here.

Thank you for listening to my caffeine-induced rambling. Am I being too nit-picky or judgmental or pretentious? Thoughts?

Comments

• My reaction to the show so far's been

Season 1= Fucking fantastic, I love this thing.

Season 2 = Awesome keep em comin.

Season 3 = Meh, not bad, Red Wedding was cool.

Season 4 = Ok...

Season 5 = wtf?

Still its better than a lot of other stuff out there so I'll keep watching.

• The show is amazing I love it but a lot of book fans really frustrate me because the show isn't exactly like the books, I'm sure the books are amazing but if you prefer the books then just stick to the books let the show and books be two different things.

• edited June 2015

Season 1: Good

Season 2: Awesome

Season 3: Freaking amazing

Season 4: Perfect

Season 5: Hella awesome

My favorite seasons in order from best to least great (love all seasons :))

Season 4, Season 3, Season 5, then Season 2, and finally Season 1. Atleast from what I can remember lol. I'd have to re-watch for a definite order.

• I would say that the show straying from the books is a good thing. I also read the books before I watched the show, and while I do think the books are superior, I can't really blame the show for some of its faults. I mean, in the books you get the benefit of having a POV character so you can here their intermost thoughts. After all a lot of the character development comes from their thoughts not really visually. But the show has done weird things that you can't blame on not hearing the person's thoughts. Sansa being married off to Ramsay made no sense for a character like Littlefinger. I think you're being a little too hard on the show, usually people who have read the books criticize the show. I'd say an easier way to watch the show is to think of it as another universe, or just don't take it as seriouly as the books that's what I do.

• I think season 5 is still great, Dorne is pretty terrible but I dont remember liking it all that much in the books either.

• The books are the books and the show is the show, so stop whining.

• The show has to simplify things for a variety of reasons. Its just not the same experience as reading a book. That being said, I enjoy the show and the books equally for what they both do. Some things i like better in the books, some things i thought the show did better. Ive enjoyed every season of the show, and the changes this season have made me more excited to watch, not knowing quite what to expect to all the time. So, i guess it depends on what kind of book reader you are, if youre willing to roll with the changes or not. I get way more enjoyment considering them two aspects of the same universe seen from two different angles than expecting everything from the books to be in the show.

• Season 5 has been a bit on and off, but Hardhome was up there with the best episodes of the entire series.

• I believe Martin has even stated himself to treat the show as something seperate. He allows them to make changes, and doesn't mind them.

• People should stop judging the show by whether it follows the books or not and start judging it by it's actual quality. There have been many things different from the books, but which were actually really well done (Tyrion meeting Dany) and they deserve merit too.

• edited June 2015

Who cares if it follows the books or not? No show that is based off of books/comics follows the source material forever.

• I don't mind stuff going off track the source material most of the time, but some of the changes feel so dumb to me. This season of the show has certainly been the worst (but last episode was good), but hopefully it'll get back on track.

• edited June 2015

Yes, the show is very bad. The first season was good, the second was pretty good, and after that it's kept going downhill.

The show doesn't necessarily have to follow the books, but even as a standalone thing it's poor quality.

• There are parts where the books are better, but even so the TV series still is still five seasons of some of the best entertainment on TV.

• Yep poor quality. That's why most people consider it the best show on tv lol.

Platypuses posted: »

Yes, the show is very bad. The first season was good, the second was pretty good, and after that it's kept going downhill. The show doesn't necessarily have to follow the books, but even as a standalone thing it's poor quality.

• edited June 2015

I really don't think "most people" consider it the best show on tv. In terms of numbers, "most people" don't even watch it.
    A lot of people liking the show doesn't automatically mean that it's a high quality show.

Yep poor quality. That's why most people consider it the best show on tv lol.

• edited June 2015

I suspect he does mind some of the changes they make, he just doesn't say anything. He can't do anything about it anyway, given they have the right to change it. He was pretty quick to distance the show from the books, when they started going off track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snm6qnezv0Q

Miny77 posted: »

I believe Martin has even stated himself to treat the show as something seperate. He allows them to make changes, and doesn't mind them.

• No, JamesDalton1995 is right. Most people that have seen it really like it and it rivals Breaking Bad as best show. It's a very high quality show that is HIGHLY appraised. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not considered one of the best TV shows ever.

I really don't think "most people" consider it the best show on tv. In terms of numbers, "most people" don't even watch it. A lot of people liking the show doesn't automatically mean that it's a high quality show.

• I recently start watching Game of Thrones series from the beginning and I must say that their world is way more fucked up than in the Telltale Games series. Their understanding of things is so poor that they execute even the wolf due he didn't let prince to kill someone.

There is difference between medieval society and society run almost entirely by lunatics who then are being followed by those who are actually sane and don't just try to ruin everything due they can.

• If you think this show is poor quality, i dont know what you consider good quality.

Yes, the show is very bad. The first season was good, the second was pretty good, and after that it's kept going downhill. The show doesn't necessarily have to follow the books, but even as a standalone thing it's poor quality.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.