Season 5 the worst season yet?

Season 5 is based on what I saw probably the most hated season on HBO, it has multiple episode and scenes that just piss people off, they kill off people with no rhyme or reason, they rape sansa and pull off some of the most illogical things like Arya going blind, im sorry if I am missing thing or if I am completely wrong since I was on vacation and haven't seen a few episodes. But I think its safe to say that this is the worst season of GOT yet.

Comments

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Hell no. It was great from start to finish . You are completely wrong on this one.

• Yeah I agree, I thought the last 3 episodes were great but the other 7 were really bad, compared to how the past seasons had me on from beginning to end.

• Season 5 just makes me dread how D and D will fuck the story up without a GRRM approved safety net

• Other than maybe a few moments in a couple of episodes, most everything failed to impress me.

• People are pissed off every season, then they get over it. I found the season to be very enjoyable and full of surprises.

• It was awesome. In my opinion it wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the best either. It was somewhere in the middle. Season 1 was my least favorite, but even the worst season of GOT is still the best show on TV.

• How you can say game of thrones season 5 is bad is beyond me, but whatevs.

Yeah I agree, I thought the last 3 episodes were great but the other 7 were really bad, compared to how the past seasons had me on from beginning to end.

• edited June 2015

Maybe. There's certainly a lot wrong with it. Some things that I'm surprised people are annoyed at include Sansa's rape. I mean, this was seen a mile away. Consummation was inevitable, it wasn't exactly forced and we all sure as hell know that Ramsay wasn't going to be as generous as Tyrion. And it could've been much, much worse than we saw. Arya I can kind of see being a waste of time until the end. I guess they need to establish Braavos' foreign culture and philosophy. IDK... In my opinion, things that were really bad in the season were:

Dorne in general. Sand Snakes, a way to have Jaime waste time for a season, etc. Should've had more time with Doran and Jaime's development as a father before the shock death at the end.

Further Daenerys hypocrisy. Watching capable, wilful (arguable) fighters fight to the death is considered barbaric to her, but sending a probably innocent former master to his death via burning and eventual consumption of dragons is fine? k den.

Barristans death was pure shock value. I get there's only so much room in Meereen with Jorah, Tyrion and Varys coming back but wow was this a bad end for such a hyped character. What hurts most is that the actor that played Barristan was a hardcore fan of the series and actively argued against his killing. He wasn't even dead in the books and having read on all the hyped stuff he'd be doing he would've most likely looked forward to the future only for D&D to literally laugh and go 'lol, he tried to convince us to change his fate. What an asshole. That makes us want to kill him even more.' I'm only partially making a parody on that quote too, most of it is in tact.

Stannis inconsistency and lack of payoff. I could write paragraphs on this, but D&D already butchered his character anyway so I won't waste time. At least his final scene wasn't as degrading as I imagined.

Further Bolton plot armour where literally every action they take is met with zero consequences. Seems it applies as much to the show now as it does to the game. Roose even says that the North has enough men to defeat the Boltons, so what stops them? I hope once they find that Sansa's missing they cause the fall and make it hard next season else I'm calling out the series on its 'realism' crap.

Not enough Mace 'the ace' Tyrell.

• I think people complain about season 5 because they are book readers and they get very insecure when they don't know exactly what's going to happen next. I'm not surprised Sansa's rape caused outrage but lets be realistic she was with Ramsay and this isn't a fairytale. You would have something wrong with you if you weren't horrified at that scene.

• Yeah Season 5 was pretty horrid in some places. I was originally pissed off Bran Stark wasn't in it since his arc seemed like it was heating up to be the most interesting story line and it just gets dropped with no mention whatsoever.

Then we have these cringe worthy Sansa and Theon segments that go against Sansa's character completely which was terrible.

Arya's arc was simply boring, there wasn't much going on really and the faceless man thing is getting very stupid. Arya's probably my favorite character in the franchise so this especially pissed me off

I know it's understandable but they cut out a lot of very interesting things like the Quiet Isle etc.

I do have to admit the Battle of Hardhome was very interesting and the special effects on the Whitewalkers and giant were pretty badass.

This is probably my least favorite season thus far :/

• Apparently Bran's getting subbed in next season along with the Greyjoy storyline. Going to be interesting how they fit in Bran next season considering the original actor is probably fully grown by then. Hope they improve the effects though. The Children of the Forest and the Three Eyed Raven were kind of a let-down to be honest. I gathered that the Children of the Forest weren't supposed to be actual children with a few vines on their skin here and there to emphasise the 'Forest' and the Raven was just a bumbly old man in a tree.

Clemenem posted: »

Yeah Season 5 was pretty horrid in some places. I was originally pissed off Bran Stark wasn't in it since his arc seemed like it was heating

• people just bitch because it passed the books and spoiled what will happen next in some parts. they cant take it.

also they want every single fucking thing from the book and be how it is

• I personally thought it was amazing, but at the same time thought it was the worst season.

I think that just goes to show how good the show really is :P

• Well we've only seen one and the raven has been rumored to take different form. I'm also hoping Cold Hands is eventually incorporated into the storyline.

Davissons posted: »

Apparently Bran's getting subbed in next season along with the Greyjoy storyline. Going to be interesting how they fit in Bran next season c

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

I agree.

jamex1223 posted: »

people just bitch because it passed the books and spoiled what will happen next in some parts. they cant take it. also they want every single fucking thing from the book and be how it is

• No, it wasn't... because I wasn't attached to Jon. He was getting a bit soft. he cares too much.

• I thought it was the weakest (although Hardhome is the best episode of the series IMO), but it was still very good.

• I agree, especially towards the scene where Dany burns the master alive. It felt really out of place and went against her character.

Maybe. There's certainly a lot wrong with it. Some things that I'm surprised people are annoyed at include Sansa's rape. I mean, this was se

• edited June 2015

I'd say it was the most inconsistent in quality of all the seasons, but I wouldn't say it was bad. It was, however, very rushed by.

• Holy shit I didn't even know it was you for a sec. Must be the pic :P

Green613 posted: »

I personally thought it was amazing, but at the same time thought it was the worst season. I think that just goes to show how good the show really is :P

• That's what everyone said when I switched from Goku to Opal back in September :P

Clemenem posted: »

Holy shit I didn't even know it was you for a sec. Must be the pic :P

• Don't see how, it only gets better imo.

• I dont think it went against her character unfortunately. Ive always felt she was tottering on the edge of being more like her father.

Bolc56 posted: »

I agree, especially towards the scene where Dany burns the master alive. It felt really out of place and went against her character.

• edited June 2015

Worst thing is that they didnt show euron greyjoy...but well i guess season 6 is about him. And everything else were people (mostly butthurted book readers) seem to not know that George R. R. Martin wanted this to happen (Sansas rape, shirleens, stannis and Briennes destiny and so on...)

• I don't particularly care. It would be the last season I watch even if the writing hadn't been such a lazy, ham-fisted, cliché riddled, soulless disaster.

• Yeah, it was the worst so far (while still enjoyable), not necessarily because they passed the book storylines. They didn't, in most cases, e.g. they had material for Arya or Daenerys or Jaime or Tyrion but didn't use it as well as before and made unneeded changes.

The clunky and clichéd writing was really painful at times (okay, I get it, Meryn Trant is disgusting, Arya is not a bad person for killing him ... Why, yes, I've just nearly been raped, but let's have sex now.... Unsullied fail at every fight because plot .... Oh noes, Brienne missed the signal, even though she watched the window 24/7 - high class, shakespearean drama!). And they overused accidental meetings and heartwarming scenes before killing off characters.

I'm only complaining about writing though. Actors (most of them), set design, CGI and all was great. As were the walk of atonement and Hardhome.

• Only the good bits and the bits that make the story. That's why people complain.

people just bitch because it passed the books and spoiled what will happen next in some parts. they cant take it. also they want every single fucking thing from the book and be how it is

• Perfect summary :D

rousseau posted: »

Yeah, it was the worst so far (while still enjoyable), not necessarily because they passed the book storylines. They didn't, in most cases,

• Why, yes, I've just nearly been raped, but let's have sex now....

if you mean gilly then to be honest even by westeroes standards shes not a good thing to judge by, her upbringing was hardly normal

Yeah, it was the worst so far (while still enjoyable), not necessarily because they passed the book storylines. They didn't, in most cases,

• edited June 2015

Well, yes. But there was lots of time for those two to have sex before or some time after this incident, not when Sam is still all blood-smeared. Stuff like this was already a cliché 50 years ago.

Why, yes, I've just nearly been raped, but let's have sex now.... if you mean gilly then to be honest even by westeroes standards shes not a good thing to judge by, her upbringing was hardly normal

• Cuz I can have a different opinion

How you can say game of thrones season 5 is bad is beyond me, but whatevs.

• I personally didn't hate it because it wasn't like the books, I just thought as a standalone story itself it was pretty bad at first. But it got better toward the end, so hopefully s6 will just keep up that trend.

• Kill off people with no rhyme or reason? Example?

Sansa rape? Worst things have been done before in earlier seasons.

pull off some of the most illogical things like Arya going blind

She went blind in the books too.....

• edited June 2015

Some of the episodes was rather slow.. I mean they could easily have spread the deaths out to add more relevant content to each death instead of just making them all happen in one episode. I think the season all in all was great. The 8th episode with Hardhome was probably the best episode yet! However: I am quite confident that the 6th season will completly suck if Stannis & Jon Snow are dead. Daenarys and Cersei scene's are getting rather boring tbh.

• edited June 2015

The easiest way to answer about the Boltons without involving the books is that all the houses in the north are looking to themselves first. And that they dont have a Stark to rally to but in the books it is a bit more complicated.

Maybe. There's certainly a lot wrong with it. Some things that I'm surprised people are annoyed at include Sansa's rape. I mean, this was se

• Pretty much everything is a fucking cliche for someone these days, cliche this cliche fucking that, blah blah. Fandoms are all about bitching.

Well, yes. But there was lots of time for those two to have sex before or some time after this incident, not when Sam is still all blood-smeared. Stuff like this was already a cliché 50 years ago.

• Most of the season was alright, Hardhome was amazing, something we hadn't seen in the books, and the scenes they adapted in Episode 10 were done really well. All of Dorne was complete shit, probably because they only had a limited time to film. I didn't like the changes to Jaime, Brienne or Sansa's storylines from the books. Would it have been that hard to have Jeyne Poole instead of Sansa? And I think Dorne would've been better without Jaime and Bronn shoe-horned in, and they should've followed Arianne instead. Young Griff being cut irked me too.

Most of my problems are the stuff they cut. There's been a steady decline in quality as they've run out of book material, which is sad. Seasons 1-3 were amazing, 4 had good points but also a few bad ones, and Season 5 was just shockingly bad at times. Honestly, if they hadn't cut so much they could've still been halfway through AFFC/ADWD by this point, which would allow TWOW to (hopefully) finish in time for them to adapt it, but they've rushed all the plotlines now.

• It's because the series set high standards so far. I wouldn't complain about clichés in Xena or Walker, Texas Ranger. But this is GoT we're talking about and this is the first season to disappoint me. Is there any logical reason why people would suddenly start to pick on it except that it's gotten worse?

Pretty much everything is a fucking cliche for someone these days, cliche this cliche fucking that, blah blah. Fandoms are all about bitching.

• My least favourite for sure, but I wouldn't say "worst." The stuff that was good was really fucking good.

• Is there any logical reason why people would suddenly start to pick on it?

It has become "too famous" + book purists always complain when things are changed + it seems like people complain about fucking everything, not just GoT, it's fucking everywhere.

It's because the series set high standards so far. I wouldn't complain about clichés in Xena or Walker, Texas Ranger. But this is GoT we're

Sign in to comment in this discussion.