Season 5 the worst season yet?

2»

Comments

• That may apply to previous seasons but the writing this year has been criticised from all over the fandom, only a small percentage of which are book purists. Its obvious that significant changes had to be made adapting FeastDance so this was a real test of their writing skill and they mostly fucked up.

Is there any logical reason why people would suddenly start to pick on it? It has become "too famous" + book purists always complain

• The books are worse. George Martin seemed to just want to destroy any continuity between the start of the Game of Thrones and just create chaos. It seems he got upset that some may have guessed the ending and purposely destroy the story out of spite. Can only hope something can be salvaged from this.

• Suddenly?

rousseau posted: »

It's because the series set high standards so far. I wouldn't complain about clichés in Xena or Walker, Texas Ranger. But this is GoT we're

• Most of the complaints were about the Sand Snake stuff which, for some reason people thought those characters were way more interesting in the books than they actually were. When I read this type of thing, I think how easy it is to judge but how hard it would be to do any better.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

That may apply to previous seasons but the writing this year has been criticised from all over the fandom, only a small percentage of which

• edited June 2015

Plus, its the many faced GOD. If it's a god why won't it have any power.....?

Kill off people with no rhyme or reason? Example? Sansa rape? Worst things have been done before in earlier seasons.  pull off some of the most illogical things like Arya going blind She went blind in the books too.....

• edited June 2015

Arya going blind happens in the books too. Jeyne Poole, passed off as Arya, was raped in a much more horrible way by Ramsay. I guess Barristan had to bite the dust to allow more time for Tyrion and Varys in the next season. Mance never really had a big role in the show, so i guess they thought it would make sense for him to die. The only thing that pissed me off about season 5 was we never saw Margaery, Olenna, Loras and Littlefinger after episode 7! But the season did start rly slow, i thought it was gonna be lots of action all the time :/

• Yeah, this season had a couple of highs, but was mostly (occasionally really deep) lows.

I generally don't mind changes from the book, as long as they're good changes. You won't hear me complaining about the showdown at Hardhome, for example, or the scene with the Night's King in 4x04. I also don't mind time-saving cuts, like the omission of the Young Griff character. When the changes made are stupid and clumsy, on the other hand...

Dorne and Winterfell were just terrible in Season 5. Both of them, especially the former, were full of counter-intuitive characterization and poor writing. Maybe I just feel extra-insulted by them cos Jaime and Sansa are among my favorite characters on the show. And Barristan's death was just...ugh.

Good moments too, though, don't get me wrong--Hardhome, Margaery vs Cersei, Bad Luck Jorah, Bad Luck Stannis (srsly tho watching him get completely rekt in just a few minutes in episode 10 almost made up for the entire Dorne plot), the list goes on. Hope Season 6 gets back on form. Maybe Gendry will finally get off that rowboat...

• Personally the dialogues in several storylines were poor. The show had it's moments this season but a lot of it was dry.

• edited June 2015

Why, yes, I've just nearly been raped, but let's have sex now

who?

EDIT: ah ok, gilly. well she did it because Sam saved her, well it was Ghost but still... and she did it to lift him up (not literally) and, well in my opinion, to show him she likes him too

rousseau posted: »

Yeah, it was the worst so far (while still enjoyable), not necessarily because they passed the book storylines. They didn't, in most cases,

• they have a budget and only 10 hours to tell a story. with the amount of characters they have they would more than likely be 10, probably more, seasons.

LeFedore posted: »

Most of the season was alright, Hardhome was amazing, something we hadn't seen in the books, and the scenes they adapted in Episode 10 were

• There have always been complaints, but they increased for this season. And I'm not talking about one-liner Metacritic ratings or enraged youtube comments but fan recaps and reviews which are constructively discussing the problems and weak points. Fans, not haters.

KCohere posted: »

Suddenly?

• I generally don't mind changes from the book, as long as they're good changes.

I agree. To be honest there were quite a few things the show did better than the books. I just wish they'd think twice about making big changes like the one with Jaime. His plot wasn't only important for himself and the growth (or failure?) of his character, it influenced others in many known and yet unknown ways. Going to Dorne to rescue Myrcella is a commitment to his family and Cersei that went against his character at this point of the story. Then what about Riverrun? What about Blackfish? Edmure? Characters they introduced and just dropped again. I'm kinda "afraid" of the moment when nothing in the series makes actual sense any more and everything collapses like a house of cards without a stable base and they whitewash it with awesome battles and set design.

ranger563 posted: »

Yeah, this season had a couple of highs, but was mostly (occasionally really deep) lows. I generally don't mind changes from the book, as

• edited June 2015

It doesn't bother me that they caught up to the books since those are actually cannon, unlike the show which is just an AU.

What does bother me is that the show has completely devolved into a clusterfuck of shock tactics, used to keep people interested, and is nowhere near as good as it once was.

jamex1223 posted: »

people just bitch because it passed the books and spoiled what will happen next in some parts. they cant take it. also they want every single fucking thing from the book and be how it is

• The books are worse

lol that's cute

BillAm posted: »

The books are worse. George Martin seemed to just want to destroy any continuity between the start of the Game of Thrones and just create ch

• No, with a show as big a hit as GoT they could easily ask for a higher budget and runtime.

jamex1223 posted: »

they have a budget and only 10 hours to tell a story. with the amount of characters they have they would more than likely be 10, probably more, seasons.

• edited June 2015

Yeah, this season was the worst, but it did have it's moments. Even though I am a huge fan of the books, preferring them to the show, I don't mind most of the changes from the book, I understand that they can't include every character or every event as that would take too much time and require a lot of exposition, but what does annoy me is how they handled certain characters.

Stannis' character was handled very poorly this season, not only was he out of character with how he was in previous seasons, he was out of character with how he was only a handful of episodes earlier, he went from father of the year to murdering his daughter without any believable explanation or sound reasoning. While he is one of my favourite characters I don't mind if he loses and dies, if it happens it happens, but the way they went about it was terrible.

Barristans death was ridiculous. He is considered one of the greatest warriors alive, and he is killed by a bunch of cultists in an alleyway, it's just completely ridiculous how they went about it.

Jon's "death," was kinda silly, the actual stabbing part was great and pretty accurate, but the reasoning was terrible, they just randomly murder him for helping wildlings, at least in the book they had good reason as he was proposing to attack Winterfell to save his sister, which is completely against the Night's Watches code.

There were a few other things that bugged me but they are pretty minor and i can let them slide. I still enjoyed this season a lot, but it wasn't as good as previous seasons.

• edited June 2015

Alt text

• and thats the problem, idk if HBO has declined that or whatever, but i think they should rise them everything. specially money.

LeFedore posted: »

No, with a show as big a hit as GoT they could easily ask for a higher budget and runtime.

• Honestly, not as good as previous seasons, mainly because of added/cut stuff, but not as bad as some people say. Battle for Hardhome was a nice touch, Mountain's minor design changes worked well too. However, Stannis' story sucked pretty badly. Jaime wandering fuck knows where and Brienne doing fuck knows what didn't help too.

The worst season so far, but not that bad. Still enjoyable to watch. 7/10

• What were you expecting from Stannis's storyline? It went about where i expected it to.

armis37 posted: »

Honestly, not as good as previous seasons, mainly because of added/cut stuff, but not as bad as some people say. Battle for Hardhome was a n

• Well, it's cliche opinion, but I didn't like him burning his daughter. I know that Martin said she will burn later, but it would have probably happened by the hand of Melisandre, not Stannis. The Battle of Winterfell was rushed to fit in the last episode, plus it killed the intrigue from the books.

Honestly, looking at the whole picture, Stannis' story lead him God knows where in the shows. Started as a strong commander with a big army and a clear purpose, ended up being an incompetent and lost leader. Taking shelter for so long at Castle Black, then losing more than half of his army on the way to Winterfell, where he was crushed... I don't know, it just seems a lot better in the books - how he assembled all those clans, how he still was showing lots of promise, kept his army together and didn't burn his daughter.

It's just my opinion :)

What were you expecting from Stannis's storyline? It went about where i expected it to.

• Nobody liked him burning his daughter although to my disbelief, a lot of people still defend it. I guess i always pictured Stannis's journey heading this way. I never thought he was using his own mind in matters, always following others advice, most especially The red witch. I always felt that putting so much faith in her, doing whatever she wanted, following the god of light eventhough i dont think he really believes in it, was going to steer him wrong, and he would never be king. So, i feel like the show just fast tracked his eventual downfall, but i guess we'll see how right or wrong i am if the books ever come out lol

armis37 posted: »

Well, it's cliche opinion, but I didn't like him burning his daughter. I know that Martin said she will burn later, but it would have probab

• Yeah, the Red Witch really clouded his mind. Every time we see him, he's torn between decisions - common sense or Melisandre's advice. In the end, it brought his doom.

Nobody liked him burning his daughter although to my disbelief, a lot of people still defend it. I guess i always pictured Stannis's journey

• people die and get blind and raped for no good reason every day, it's just a reflection of our "unperfect" society, but in westeros.

• You realize that D & D HAVE to change stuff right? The GoT TV show will end after Season 7. GRRM will continue to write books after the show is over. So D & D need to make some changes in order to give the TV show it's own ending. So yeah, storylines will change and things will get cut.

Season 5 just makes me dread how D and D will fuck the story up without a GRRM approved safety net

• That doesn't excuse the fact that the few storylines they do decide to translate to the show, they often fuck it up (e.g Dorne)

Smurfbate posted: »

You realize that D & D HAVE to change stuff right? The GoT TV show will end after Season 7. GRRM will continue to write books after the

• It is actually my favourite season so far. Probably because there wasn't any Bran in it and I felt that many of the storylines I previously didn't enjoy very much (Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Stannis) got a lot more interesting.

• After I finished season 4, I decided I was done with the show. I only saw one scene and that was the scene that everyone was raving about in Hardhome. I am still going to stay with the Telltale game because I am enjoying it so much, but I am finished with all the drama the show drags out...

And admittedly, I don't want to be spoiled by anything in the books, even if they aren't finished until 2050

Sign in to comment in this discussion.