Will I be able to appreciate GOT without watching the show?

So, I know the show is supposed to be amazing, but I just don't have the time or the will to do it. I loved the walking dead and I had never seen the show or read the comics, so I'm assuming it'll be the same here. What do ya'll think?

Comments

• edited December 2014

Honestly... no. The game kind of expects you to know some basic facts without direction and furthermore the game spoils quite a lot as well. Its not impossible but it was made with fans of the show/book in mind. I'd be lying if I said I wasnt happy with this, I was a bit concerned we's get an episode of exposition on game of thrones. The walking dead worked but this game is more world based, its not just post apocalypse in america its a bit more complex.

• +1,and Telltale have told,the game is in middle of season 3 & 5 so.....The game it's only for the show viewers. New can't understand the quotes,the king landings part,why the kingdom it's like that,...

• +1
    I highly recommend to reading the books or watching the show (or if you want to do yourself a favour: both ^^) before playing this game.

• The show is pretty damned fine. The books are even finer. I would agree though, that you need to have a working knowledge of at least one or other to fully appreciate the story in this one. That said, it's a Telltale game, they're always worth playing.

Zalynia posted: »

+1 I highly recommend to reading the books or watching the show (or if you want to do yourself a favour: both ^^) before playing this game.

• It's not impossible. I haven't watched the show or read the books, but I thought it was pretty great regardless. It's a bit confusing at times, but you can get past that.

• No.

Which sucks, to be honest.

You won't have any context to why the pretty blonde lady in the throne is terrifying otherwise. None of the major characters are "introduced" in this game.

• Yes.

I have never watched one episode of Game of Thrones in my life. My dad is a bug fan so I know some basic character names and major events like the Red Wedding but I really don't know anything about it. The only reason I got this game is because it's Telltale. I heard many people say that you should not use this as your introduction to GOT, and I thought that I would be disappointed. I was not. I loved every second and it felt just as epic as I imagine the TV show is. It helps if you watch the TV show when they reference events from it but besides that, it's am experience your sure to enjoy, fan or not.

• My dad is a bug fan

I don't know what being a fan of bugs has to do with this but ok

Yes. I have never watched one episode of Game of Thrones in my life. My dad is a bug fan so I know some basic character names and major e

• ah shut up you nerds...I never watched the stupid show or read the books...but telltale games are just amazing and they make their games as such as well....and I love the game of thrones game just as much I did for the wolf among us (which I never heard of before telltale either)....so don't listen to these nerds and play the game..you will love it if you love telltale.

• edited December 2014

So, I know the show is supposed to be amazing, but I just don't have the time or the will to do it. I loved the walking dead and I had never seen the show or read the comics, so I'm assuming it'll be the same here. What do ya'll think?

I have hardly any experience with GoT (watched three-quarters of season one like six/seven months ago and I know two major spoilers) and I got the game because of how well TWD and TWAU are/were done. I have to say that the enjoyment that I got out of GoT episode one was limited because of how little I understood about the GoT world. I just couldn't get as engrossed as I did with TWD with this when so many places, people, houses, titles etc. were being named I didn't fully understand what was going on half the time. That's not a bad thing though as I now want to watch the show so I can fully appreciate the rest of the series.

It's easy to have never watched TWD and then fully enjoy the game because the story of a zombie apocalypse is relatively easy to understand and you can relate to the characters since it's set in present-day. GoT is not the same. The language, the hierarchies, the houses, the laws, etc. It's a completely different and complex world.

• I have only a bit of knowledge of Game Of Thrones. Only watched half an episode but have read the wikis on some of the characters and their backgrounds before since I was curious. But I really enjoy playing the game :)

• Sorry, I meant big.

My dad is a bug fan I don't know what being a fan of bugs has to do with this but ok

• Everyone's going tell you that you needs to read the books and watch the show- but that's because they're blinded by their fan googles.

you really don't. The game doesn't introduce you to main tv show character or locations but they character become pretty self evident as you interact with them. Like someone in an earlier comment said

You won't have any context to why the pretty blonde lady in the throne is terrifying otherwise.

But when you play the game you know why she's terrifying- you know she's the queen, you see everyone's scared of her, and when you talk to her you see why. Like you're not going know the full history of her misdeeds but they are not necessary for this game.

All the cameo characters are self evident, most of the character are original to the game and all you really need to know is:

• The wall is a literal wall that protects the kingdom- it is staffed by bastards and criminals
    • King's landing is the capital of the kingdom
    • The north is a territory with the kingdom, with a king appointed leader the warden of the north

And at the start of the game House Stark are the current wardens of the north. The Starks are marching against the king- on their way south they stop for a political marriage between themselves and House Fey. House fey invited house Bolton to the wedding...

• I have not watched the show, and I found this slightly harder to get into than The Wolf Among Us, which I also didn't know the source material, but it's not that difficult. The main story is self contained and easy to follow. The only time I found myself lost was during the first scene in King's Landing where there were multiple characters from the show, but I started to pick up on things afterwards. I recommend just doing a quick read up of what the concept of Game Of Thrones is, and you should be fine.

• This isn't like Walking Dead where you can pick up the game without any knowledge of the show or comics to get into. I mean its a zombie apocolypse you can pretend there is no show.

Right off the bat GoT start things off in a very big moment in the show/books that you wouldn't know the significance to and therefore some of the effect it has on the characters. I can't imagine enjoying this half as much if I wasn't ahead of this story in the books.

• What makes you any less of a nerd? Its ok to like games but not books or tv shows?

Dubz13 posted: »

ah shut up you nerds...I never watched the stupid show or read the books...but telltale games are just amazing and they make their games as

• I think the game is a bit of a fan service. If you love the show and love Telltale games you will absolutely love this.

As others have said it's not as accessible for a non-fan as TWD, TWAU and TFTB are.

• edited December 2014

I only watched the first season of GoT, I had no idea who was attacking who in the camp, or what the conflict in King's Landing was about. But I think I understand the general plot of the game. What I get so far, please correct me if I am wrong.

• Ethan becomes Lord of Forrester after father's death, has to lead the house.
    • Gared is from House Tuttle but is some sort of servant/worker to the Forresters? Not really sure how or why though.
    • (game spoiler?) Gared takes refuge in The Wall to hide from Lord Snow. The Wall has a law against killing of the Night's Watch?
    • Boltons? attack Forrester? camp at start of game? Not sure why.
    • Mira Forrester is servant of Lady Margysomething, who is soon to be married to the King
    • Forresters ask Mira to ask Lady Margysomething/Joffrey for protection from House Bolton.
  • ah shut up you nerds

Alt text

i'm guessing you are a great person when you are away from the keyboard

Dubz13 posted: »

ah shut up you nerds...I never watched the stupid show or read the books...but telltale games are just amazing and they make their games as

• nope, not banned....because telltale likes what I said...they want the non-initiated nerds of the show to also buy the game....like me

and as I said before...I know nothing of game of thrones and I LOVED the first episode and getting caught up in the world.

• im the best ;)

Jewfreeus posted: »

ah shut up you nerds i'm guessing you are a great person when you are away from the keyboard

• I recommend reading at least the first book before venturing into the game. Should help you out understand the 'basics'. Do read the rest though, it's worth it!

• no sadly not
    not sure why Telltale made it that way it worked perfectly with TWD; TWAU and TFB I never read the fables comics or played the borderlands games
    why change it ? as a fan of the show and novels I'm not bummed by this but I know many are

• They could have given a bit of the basics at the beginning, I think. Hell, make it skippable, if you're afraid of alienating the fans of the show.

"Previously, on Game of Thrones..." would have worked well. Of course, it would have meant animating a lot of now dead characters, so maybe that wasn't cost effective...

• One thing though: while you can play the game without first watching the show, the game has such spoilerage for season 3 of the show that if you ever think you would watch the show, it can spoil your enjoyment of the show to play the game now.

• Yes you can, I don't know why everyone is saying you can't. I had a little background knowledge that I picked up from friends and the internet, and that helped me get by fine. If anything the game encouraged me to watch the show which I never would have done, otherwise. What background the game doesn't give you, I was able to figure out for myself for the most part. You don't need to have seen the show or read the books to know Walder Frey is a f*cking traitor. Plus, who doesn't appreciate a tale of murder, political intrigue, and a group of bad-ass siblings (and some other guy).

• I've already had it spoiled for me by this thing called the internet.

XDarkAngelX posted: »

One thing though: while you can play the game without first watching the show, the game has such spoilerage for season 3 of the show that if you ever think you would watch the show, it can spoil your enjoyment of the show to play the game now.

• Why? Because Game of Thrones is much more complicated than all of those other universes. It basically has a whole history written, so a prequel would be extremely difficult. They have POV characters everywhere, so telling a story in just a secluded part untouched by the show or books would be extremely difficult. Telling the story of a minor House is a perfect idea

Journey95 posted: »

no sadly not not sure why Telltale made it that way it worked perfectly with TWD; TWAU and TFB I never read the fables comics or played t

• No offense but did you really have to bump like a 8 month old thread? I think he's figured it out for himself at this point

Yes you can, I don't know why everyone is saying you can't. I had a little background knowledge that I picked up from friends and the intern

• DUDE SPOILER THIS, THE OP HASN'T EVEN PLAYED THE FIRST EPISODE YET

• edited July 2015

If you want to understand basics of the game you need to watch at least season 1 of the show or read the first book. If you want to fully understand to everything that is mentioned in the game you need to watch all first three seasons and season four or read first four books.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.