milk of the poppy

Not to sound crude but... Was the whole drug thing just to "check" Rodrick's d*ck or ehhh lineage?? I refused the milk of the poppy and didn't drink it after the surgery. I felt like something was going on...

Comments

• I never drink it. That Maester is shifty. I thought he was going to cut my leg off! Did you see that huge bone saw he had when Rodrick woke up?

• edited July 2015

I drank it. What would the Maester possibly do? Kill Rodrik while he's out and then be put to death for killing his lord? It's not at all uncommon for a surgeon to give their patients painkillers when they're about to preform painful surgery.

• He may be trying to get Roderick addicted, like Lyman.

I drank it. What would the Maester possibly do? Kill Rodrik while he's out and then be put to death for killing his lord? It's not at all uncommon for a surgeon to give their patients painkillers when they're about to preform painful surgery.

• I did see the saw! It was huge and looked unnecessary... 0.0 I doubt it was for surgery...

And then just alittle later the maester says "You're still very much a man.." wait... WHAT? HOW would he know that unless something happened.... and who did it?! Did Elaena check for him? Lol

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I never drink it. That Maester is shifty. I thought he was going to cut my leg off! Did you see that huge bone saw he had when Rodrick woke up?

• Rodrick wasn't screaming for weeks , and I don't think the Forresters will be able to pay for that much of milk of the poppy anyway lol

tyler8160 posted: »

He may be trying to get Roderick addicted, like Lyman.

• And he doesn't shake.....does he?

HelloMyLord posted: »

Rodrick wasn't screaming for weeks , and I don't think the Forresters will be able to pay for that much of milk of the poppy anyway lol

• I drank it. Milk of the poppy is what we now know as pain killers

• Maybe he cut Rodrik di.ck

• People seem to think he raped him or something.

It's completley normal for him to check if his patient is still potent after such an experience. I doubt he 'had fun', he just checked if there was a reaction down there to certain actions...doesn't mean anything more happened.

• edited July 2015

It was simply to knock him out and reduce the pain there were no ulterior motives.

• I'd rather have painkillers whilst a painful operation is being performed.

• Exactly, I didn't believe there was anything to fear. It's nothing more than a pain killer and after seeing all the sharp tools and hearing all the sounds, I just wanted to keep Rodrik from facing any incredible pain. It's a pretty freaky situation to wake up too sure but the Maester is just doing his job, wasn't trying to be a creep on Rodrik's junk although I'm sure he examined the area like any doctor should given Rodrik's state.

• helooo,I wasn't serious.

• I dunno, but i had this weird feeling that he was just gonna take my leg off, because he thought it was worse than it actually was. I mean, he told our council that he thought we (Rodrik) would never walk again - yet not even a day later Rodrik is out of bed and walking with aid.

Either this Maester is a total moron, or he's making things out to be more dire and hopeless than they are. If i remember correctly he told Gared he might lose his leg too. Maybe he's just really against legs?

I did see the saw! It was huge and looked unnecessary... 0.0 I doubt it was for surgery... And then just alittle later the maester says "

• Milk of the Poppy - Opium - is the perfect thing to use as a surgical anesthetic.Medieval surgical practices were crude and painful. The pain alone could have killed Rodrik. You'd have to be an idiot to refuse pain killers during surgery.

• Or just really suspicious and worried for your life!

Jaime (in book) refused Milk of the Poppy when Qyburn was cleaning up the mortified flesh from his stump at Harrenhal. And i totally understand his reasoning. He had just met this 'chainless' Maester, who wanted to take more of his arm than Jaime was willing to lose, and didn't trust that while he (jaime) was passed out from the Milk of the Poopy the Maester wouldn't go overboard and remove it anyways.

You really can't trust anyone in Westeros, sure as hell not most of the effing Maesters.

BipedalP posted: »

Milk of the Poppy - Opium - is the perfect thing to use as a surgical anesthetic.Medieval surgical practices were crude and painful. The pain alone could have killed Rodrik. You'd have to be an idiot to refuse pain killers during surgery.

• edited July 2015

I'm not so sure it was solely do to his suspicions really. If I were Jaime, I'd still be in shock from having lost my hand which of course turns one of the greatest swordsmen in the realm to nothing. So when it comes time for the surgery, I'd want to be conscious for a couple reasons; partially like you said to make sure the Maester wouldn't take more but I feel that's Jaime wanting to hold on to himself as a person, he's already lost most of what he was when he lost his hand, and if the Maester took up to his elbow that'd lessen him even more.

And secondly, it'd probably be one of the better ways for him to really come to terms with it being gone, to feel that pain is a harsh coming to terms with the facts, and maybe Jaime was suffering from that phantom limb syndrome that some amputees suffer from.

Or just really suspicious and worried for your life! Jaime (in book) refused Milk of the Poppy when Qyburn was cleaning up the mortified

• Agreed Sharkhunter21! All the points you have added are very valid, with regards to Jaime's mental and physical health. Thanks for pointing them out :)

I'm not so sure it was solely do to his suspicions really. If I were Jaime, I'd still be in shock from having lost my hand which of course t

• No problem! I try where I can lol

Agreed Sharkhunter21! All the points you have added are very valid, with regards to Jaime's mental and physical health. Thanks for pointing them out

• edited July 2015

First off Jaime was a prisoner and Qyburn was, as you said, a "chainless" maester.

Secondly, Rodrik was at home among family, friends, and loyal subjects and he's known Maester Ortengryn for a long time. The circumstances are not even remotely comparable.

Or just really suspicious and worried for your life! Jaime (in book) refused Milk of the Poppy when Qyburn was cleaning up the mortified

• Maester Ortengryn didn't come to Ironrath until after the beginning of the War of Five Kings, which Rodrik went South for. As per the Codex. So no, the Forresters have NOT known their Maester long.

The example i used of Jaime and Qyburn, was exactly that. An example of why an injured man may not want to be insensibly unconcious while some stranger is cutting into their flesh. I don't know what Jaime being a prisoner has to do with it one way or another, but if you don't think it's a good example, that's fine. I do. If you have a better example, feel free to share with the rest of us.

BipedalP posted: »

First off Jaime was a prisoner and Qyburn was, as you said, a "chainless" maester. Secondly, Rodrik was at home among family, friends, an

Sign in to comment in this discussion.