CD Projekt Red + GoT

edited July 2015 in Game Of Thrones

The title explains it all. With the success of the Witcher 3, I've come up with the idea of HBO and/or GRRM going and asking them to create ASoIaF. So far, myslef and a few other people came up with 3 different ideas for the game.

1) You play as Eddard Stark during Robert's Rebellion. This idea would force GRRM to reveal the parentage of Jon Snow, and whether he truly is R+L=J (We all know he is, we just need confirmation) At the same time, this could become Rhaegar Targaryn instead as we have not seen much on the Targaryn side of things (Daenyrs is boring, Visyrs is dead and Aemon was blind and now dead.)

2) You play as Sandor ''The Hound'' Clegane, from childhood to where Arya Stark leaves him for dead. I'm with the theory he is the novice gravedigger whom Brienne runs into before speaking to the Eldar Brother.

3) You play as your own character! This has gotten the most support since this lets us be what we'd like to be in Westeros. However, this could go any way as we could be in the Time of Heroes or the War of the Ninepenny Kings, The Blackfyre Rebellion or just a soldier in Robert's Rebellion. This gives the developers the ability to do whatever like in the Witcher (which happened after the books finished)

This here is just to see what everyone thinks of the ideas, along with add their own on top of it or support which they like most.

Comments

• No thank you.

• i dont think i would like that. they are doing cyberpunk 2077. i'd rather have that :)

• A Game of Thrones game made by CD Projekt Red would no doubt be amazing, it would have to be option three though, or a new predefined character created by CDPR

• edited July 2015

I would rather have that too. I used to play Cyberpunk 2020 back in the '90s and I've been waiting this computer version impatiently ever since I first heard about it. Now that Witcher 3 is out they finally have time to focus on Cyberpunk.

Classic Cyberpunk 2020 is still a good game, but later Cyberpunk V3.0 is just awful. Luckily this game is based on the earlier version.

Mercyva posted: »

i dont think i would like that. they are doing cyberpunk 2077. i'd rather have that

• This wont ever happen from one simple reason George RR Martin would never ever revealed something important like this through the game.

• Unless it was un-canon, I don't this would work.

• imagine how amazing the witcher 3 looks and how amazing the quests are, plus characters! and imagine all that for cyberpunk 2077. IT WILL BE AWESOME! plus that announcement trailer that came years back for that game looks amazing. cant wait! :D

I would rather have that too. I used to play Cyberpunk 2020 back in the '90s and I've been waiting this computer version impatiently ever si

• I'm sure they would make an excellent game if that was the case but I think they're tired now of medieval fantasy games after all the time they spent working on The Witcher. I'd rather play something different from them for now.

• While the idea of a good rpg and/or action styled GoT game sounds great, I'd hate for CD Projekt Red to do it. Not because I'd think they'd do a bad job, but it'd simply feel like they were being pushed around and being told their dark fantasy world sucked if they did this. I could easily see them throwing in Geralt 20 minutes in just to kill everybody because of the insult.

• The only way it would work if is the series is set sometime during the Targaryen dynasty. Like 200 years before the events of the series/novels. CD Projekt Red is probably the only developer that GRRM should trust to do an open-world RPG Game of Thrones. Westeros created by them could be AMAZING. Beyond the Wall would be pretty cool too. Essos would be cool to include as a DLC Expansion story. CDProjekt is the best option for a new Game of Thrones RPG.

• but it'd simply feel like they were being pushed around and being told their dark fantasy world sucked if they did this.

Do elaborate on this, if you please. What I got from that is if they were to make it, everyone would be on their backs for every mistake and forcing them to a narrow passage.

While the idea of a good rpg and/or action styled GoT game sounds great, I'd hate for CD Projekt Red to do it. Not because I'd think they'd

• More than happy to explain, sorry in advance if it's a long post!

So CD as most know are best known for the Witcher games where this is their own dark fantasy where magic, politics, and other oddities exist. They've been the ones solely responsible for making this game and fleshing out this world. We've seen plenty of other game properties passed around and made in different views, but CD has had the luxury of having the Witcher all to themselves so I think it's fair to say a lot of love has been put into these games and that's made apparent more and more.

So my issue comes doesn't come from CD having Big Brother constantly bugging them and making sure GoT was being done right, I see this more as someone coming up to them and saying, "Hey, we want you to put all that same love and care into this series you had no part in creating". I just think CD would take it more as in insult when they have their own amazing world and if they were tasked with doing something similar with a GoT game.

Try looking at this in the inverse, what if the publishers (of the Witcher books) came up to Martin and wanted him to do the next Witcher book? I think he'd find that insulting too, not because he may dislike the Witcher series, but because they want him to work on some already made material when it's been proven he can create his own fantastic world himself.

To me, I just see that as a rude gesture and I could easily see CD wanting to get their laughs in by introducing their bits of the Witcher world into this supposed GoT game not as easter eggs, but as a slide like, "Yeah this is pretty good, but hey isn't that Geralt of Rivia over there! And Triss too!"

Another example would be Bungie saying they've got a game coming out next year, we're all likely expecting the next Halo but instead they've got domain over the next COD. it kinda fits but even though we may see it as a good thing from our side of the mirror, the devs may feel like their artistic thoughts/integrity are being brushed under the table just because the glove may fit.

Barthanax posted: »

but it'd simply feel like they were being pushed around and being told their dark fantasy world sucked if they did this. Do elaborat

• Well I really don't understand what you mean. When ASOIAF is complete that will be the perfect time to make a game, either before or after the events of the series. I really don't think CD would see it as an insult to make a Game of Thrones RPG, I'd say it would be more an honor to be the only developer to be trusted with a GoT RPG (aside from the failed one a few years ago). That's like saying that Telltale was insulted when they were told Robert Kirkman would have to be a story consultant on The Walking Dead. Or the fact that George RR Martins assistant is in the writing room with them making sure it stays true to George's world.

More than happy to explain, sorry in advance if it's a long post! So CD as most know are best known for the Witcher games where this is t

• edited July 2015

That's just it though, both CD and Martin have their own separate worlds but both are similar too given their genres and what events occur. There's mythical beings in both, political games at play, and enough death to go around right? Seems like CD taking the reins would be a good fit on paper but again this is like Bungie doing the next COD, both may be FPS' and (in more recent COD games) have future tech but that doesn't mean the developer would be happy with this.

The Witcher was a game series CD had full control over for the most part, they could pretty much do what they wanted with it because this was their baby. If CD were offered the chance to do a GoT RPG, in my eyes that's a step down from what they can do with it since most of it is already written out and there's not a whole lot of room to alter things or try their own cannon.

TellTale may not have felt insulted but with Thrones it's easy to see their limitations with the story too. While we're playing as a family unbeknownst to most, our overall role in TellTale's story will be fairly small and as plenty have already pointed out in other threads, almost every time a main character shows up you know they're untouchable as far as making any real choice. Ramsay is coated in "plot armor" so there's really nothing we can do to him, TellTale's hands are tied with these bigger names thus hurting their game however little it may be.

That's a small part of what I'm getting at with CD, they wouldn't have that same amount of freedom to affect the world in Thrones like they do with the Witcher, and this hurts them and the game. And while some may see it as an honor getting to work on a GoT game, it just feels like you'd be trying to use all that same love they poured into giving us Witcher 3 and do the same for some series they have no hand in one way or another and have had no word of what happens in it.

I just don't like the idea of taking CD's skills at making an amazing RPG experience, and creating stories and characters from scratch and then wanting them to make another RPG in an already developed world where there's very little room to actually create anything new or amazing, or to even make us care for characters that wouldn't end up being cardboard cutouts of ones we've already met and and are quite familiar with.

Wigams posted: »

Well I really don't understand what you mean. When ASOIAF is complete that will be the perfect time to make a game, either before or after

• I think the best way I could sum up what I'm trying to get at is that I'd think this is tarnishing what CD has done if they were given this project. If I were them, I'd see it as a back-handed compliment, "We like what you've done in the past, but what if we changed Temeria to Westeros and made the main character Future/Past Stark instead of Geralt."

Unless CD were to say, yes they were happy to being the game, I just feel like this would be their feeling towards it.

Well I really don't understand what you mean. When ASOIAF is complete that will be the perfect time to make a game, either before or after

• You're just being really stubborn about your belief that George R.R. Martin would be very condescending towards CD.P.Red. Wild Hunt is the last game for Geralt as they've stated many times since its been released so with that in mind...I don't see why you'd think they wouldn't want to work on a different franchise (especially one as popular as Game of Thrones). I could also see them being fans of Game of Thrones. They did cast Charles Dance as the emperor (He portrays Tywin Lannister). I'd bet they are fans of Game of Thrones, saw him as Tywin and thought wow he would be a great Emhyr.

Unless CD were to say, yes they were happy to being the game, I just feel this would be their feeling towards it

I understand that you wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they'd be happy to make the game unless they said so. But that could be flipped back on you.. They've never said "we would feel insulted if asked to make a Game of Thrones RPG because of our success with the witcher". It'd be like Telltale saying "After our success with The Walking Dead, we feel very insulted that Game of Thrones would be interested in us making a GoT choice-based game". When you are successful, MORE opportunities arise.

I think the best way I could sum up what I'm trying to get at is that I'd think this is tarnishing what CD has done if they were given this

• I don't think I ever said that Martin himself would be looking down on the Witcher series. All I said was that CD may feel like their series would be getting overshadowed if they were to do this, while they may be done with Geralt there are still plenty of avenues they could go down either with this series (The Witcher) or something new and original they come up with themselves.

I'm sure there's plenty of CD's people who are fans but that may not mean they are wanting to make a game. And naturally yes, that could easily be switched right back to say what if they were happy to? Then great! We're simply going by what-ifs here, and my what-if lies with CD wanting to do this at their own strength, not rely on the power of their subject matter.

Of course TellTalle wouldn't say that but that's just it, TellTale hasn't made anything nearly as original as CD has, most of TellTale's stuff relies on material already there like characters and events happening. CD however made these 3 games w/o needing to rely on source material and w/o being restricted to the material they had.

You're just being really stubborn about your belief that George R.R. Martin would be very condescending towards CD.P.Red. Wild Hunt is the

• Im just gonna say that CD did not "create" the witcher or the characters within the witcher. Most if not all characters in the games are in the books and fleshed out in the novels. The game actually stayed very true to the novels such as keeping Yen as your real romantic interest, etc. Dandelion is in the novels. Ciri is in the novels....

I don't think I ever said that Martin himself would be looking down on the Witcher series. All I said was that CD may feel like their series

• Maybe you should read the Witcher novels

I don't think I ever said that Martin himself would be looking down on the Witcher series. All I said was that CD may feel like their series

• I know they didn't and didn't say they did, just that the Witcher series itself is theirs, they brought it to life and I'd wager to say their games are the reason most people in the west even know about the series at all.

(Ugh, I hated how heavy handed it was that they wanted Geralt and Yen to be together in the 3rd, was very happy I could tell her I'm not interested and get my Triss loving lol)

But yeah I think we've gotten to the meat of our debate, you're more optimistic about CD wanting to do it and I'm not. If they do end up doing it and are glad to do so, again I'll say yay and give it a shot myself, I love their games regardless. Just saying what I think they may feel is all just like you :)

Thanks for the great discussion either way!

Im just gonna say that CD did not "create" the witcher or the characters within the witcher. Most if not all characters in the games are in

• I plan to! Trying to get through the Fire and Ice novels first!

Maybe you should read the Witcher novels

• edited July 2015

So half say great, others say no. Two want Cyberpunk.

That said, I made this post because The Witcher 3 felt almost like GoT without it being GoT.

On top of that, Bethesda was given the chance to make it. They said no thankfully. Before you go on and say, ''what do you have against Bethesda?'' I'll say this; the games they make are crap. Yes, Fallout 3, New Vegas and the Elder Scrolls are great games, but 1) the A.I. is shit. (Skyrim) Kill a dragon, you're still a nobody. Dragonborn? More like Dragonbore. Blacksmith a million daggers or clear dungeons/bandit hideouts, everyone thinks you're a weakling. (Fallout) At least there's a karma system. (FNV) We can kill this guy who fucked over Mr. House and brutally massacres hookers. 2) The graphics would be insulting for a GoT RPG. And yes, Skyrim had a North feel, but all in all the characters were ugly and blank. 3) At level 1 you can kill ANYTHING, even on Veteran. You just need a lot of cheese wheels. Level 1 in The Witcher is actually challenging.

• CD Projekt RED got free hands with The Witcher, because the game happens after the events of the book series, so they have more freedom than if the games would happen during or before the events of the book series. They also got a lot of freedom, because Sapkowski doesn't want to get involved. While he is happy that CD Projekt RED's adaptation was successful, he isn't interested about the computer games and considers them as non-canon. His view is that only his own writings are part of the original canon and adaptations form their own canon. As GRRM's saga isn't finished yet you can't really make a game which is as independent as The Witcher games are, because you have to be careful that you don't contradict what unpublished books and TV-series seasons are going to reveal.

However CD Projekt RED isn't againt author's involvement. In their current Cyberpunk 2077 project (which is going to be their next game after The Witcher 3) they have the original author on board. Mike Pondsmith, the designer of the original pen and paper RPG, helps them with the world and mechanics.

I know they didn't and didn't say they did, just that the Witcher series itself is theirs, they brought it to life and I'd wager to say thei

• I have to say that my original idea was "either before or after the series" which i meant as when George is finished writing his novels. I would argue that GRRM is the exact same way. He famously says "The show is the show, and the books are the books." Why can't the "Game be the game"?

CD Projekt RED got free hands with The Witcher, because the game happens after the events of the book series, so they have more freedom than

• They're still going to make Witcher games, that was already confirmed.

Mary5 posted: »

I'm sure they would make an excellent game if that was the case but I think they're tired now of medieval fantasy games after all the time they spent working on The Witcher. I'd rather play something different from them for now.

• Witcher&TellTale mariage? Hell yeah! I would surely buy this game, that would be a blast to play it, there's so much potention in it!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.