Game of Thrones : Tales of Dunk & Egg

There are 3 books,prequel's to the Game of Thrones about Ser Duncan the Tall & King Aegon V ( Egg ) Aegon V is Maester Aemon of the Wall's brother. Their Tales would make a perfect Telltale prequel to the Game of Thrones. It's set about 90 years prior to the current going on's in Westros. Ser Duncan is a little known Hedge Knight. Egg is a bald headed ( shaved ) Targaryen Prince 9 years old. Egg traveling incognito becomes Ser Duncan's squire. Together there tales of adventure would make for an outstanding journey in the telltale adventures. HBO owns the rights to Westros,so they will own this tale already,perfect match Telltale.. Send that royalty check care of Ser Mika VanCato...

Comments

• HBO doesn't own the rights to "Westeros". They own the "television rights" to "A song of Ice and fire" novels.

George R.R. Martin still owns the rights for Tales of Dunk & Egg. They would need to communicate directly with him and Telltale would need to change the story based on our choices. George is not the biggest fan of "Fan-fiction". Telltale Games are basically "legal" fan-fiction.

• But you wouldn't be able to play as Duncan or Egg, for much the same reason that you can't play as Tyrion or Jon Snow in a Telltale Game, because they already have a preset canon storyline, and thus there could be no decision-making on the part of the player. And if you mean that Telltale would make up a game narrative from their possible adventures that happen 'between' the already published 'Dunk and Egg' stories, then GRRM would have to authorise all of that and in effect officially canonize the game's narrative then, which he's not going to do.

There is a very specific reason why we only ever play as original characters in these games, and this is it.

Not to mention, given it is set 90 years before the current events, there are very few connecting characters for people to invest in. It would really only be the book-readers who can follow the history of the Targaryen dynasty, that would actually get or care what was going on. The show has made minimal reference to the intricacies of the Targaryen reign or the various civil wars from that period, so anyone who has only watched the show would be thoroughly lost and become disinterested. As much as it's set in the same 'world', that's not really enough to hold people's focus.

As for those players who haven't read the books or watched the show, it 'might' work for them, if it was engaging enough, but Telltale would be banking too much on drawing from the popularity of the show, to support something only tangentially connected to it.

• edited July 2015

Love to see it, but i'd love a season set during Robert's Rebellion even more. Playing as the Stark siblings and Howland Reed. This is what i heard they had wanted to start off with, but the fact that it's still so interconnected with the current storylines yet to be told, meant they couldn't because of spoilery type things.

But i agree with what Troublesomebirdsong said above.

• Am I the only one here that wants to play with characters outside of Westeros? I would love to partake on the dynamics of a khalasar or to be a faceless man in Braavos.

• I have the feeling Talia will mirror Arya. She will go to Braavos to jam with Arya in the house of Black and white.

Abeille posted: »

Am I the only one here that wants to play with characters outside of Westeros? I would love to partake on the dynamics of a khalasar or to be a faceless man in Braavos.

• Braavos would be really cool. Would be awesome to play as a Faceless Forrester, changing our face and plotting the destruction of our enemies! Yes, send Talia to see Arya next season Telltale, please!

Am I the only one here that wants to play with characters outside of Westeros? I would love to partake on the dynamics of a khalasar or to be a faceless man in Braavos.

• I am no one.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

Braavos would be really cool. Would be awesome to play as a Faceless Forrester, changing our face and plotting the destruction of our enemies! Yes, send Talia to see Arya next season Telltale, please!

• edited July 2015

With that timeline though they'd have lots of potential for new playable characters (because of the whole avoiding established characters thing.) A Northern knight in Ned's army (maybe even one of the five that die at the Tower of Joy because not much is known about them other than their names and family members), a soldier under Stannis at Storm's end and later Dragonstone, a Gold Cloak that sees Ned's brother and father die as well as the Sack of King's Landing, a squire for a Southern Knight that sees both the Battle of the Bells and then the Battle of the Trident, and so on. But yeah, avoiding spoilery type things might be difficult, so that probably rules out the Northern Knight at the Tower of Joy thing.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

Love to see it, but i'd love a season set during Robert's Rebellion even more. Playing as the Stark siblings and Howland Reed. This is what

• Braavos and Volantis YES YES YES YES YES!!1! The rest of Essos I'd actually like to never, ever see again. Unless it's burning.

The politics in Volantis (The Triarchs as well as the Red Priests and their influence) could make for epic storytelling.

Braavos would be cool especially if we played a Faceless Man.

The only real demand I have for future gameplay is that we never again have to deal with Ramsay and his Twenty Good Men™ ever again.

• HBO does own the rights to Westros, George RR MArtin has been approached about making Dunk & Egg into a feature film, He can't sell it because HBO bought the rights to Westro's, Martin fills HBO will make sure somebody makes it a movie our maybe T.V. It's a great story... HBO pays Martin 15 million a year they bought it all...

• Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities. Even with our established characters, i feel like things are vague enough (now anyways) to be able to play as them.

I mean, maybe it wont be the Starks, but what about Ashara Dayne? She would have insight to Kings Landing and Starfall and some of the Tourney of Harrenhal too - but all we really know about her is that, by the time Ned got to Starfall at the end of the Rebellion she was back there, and either commited suicide or faked her death.

Or maybe Benjen, in the North. He was the Stark in Winterfell at the time Ned was away in the South. But we don't have any established deeds or anything to work around. Also at some point during the rebellion Benjen decided to join the Night's Watch, would be cool to find out there was some underlying reasons. Or maybe that Bloodraven came to him and told him he would be needed at the Wall?

Even Varys would be a good one to follow. He was newish to King's Landing, and had his own plotting going on. We don't really have a ton of definite info on his maneuvering at the time (which is good in this case) but he did serve King Aerys as Master of Spies even then, so it would be a view into the Red Keep that could weave through what established info that we do have.

Anyways, just some ideas of characters that I would like to learn more about during that time period, other than the obvious ones. :)

With that timeline though they'd have lots of potential for new playable characters (because of the whole avoiding established characters th

• Lol, I wonder how GRRM Feels about the fact that the HBO Game of Thrones is now in Bad Fanfiction territory. Season 5 was a mess.
    TTG working on games based more on ASOIAF books and Dunk & Egg would be 10x better than the drivel on the TV screen.

Wigams posted: »

HBO doesn't own the rights to "Westeros". They own the "television rights" to "A song of Ice and fire" novels. George R.R. Martin still

Sign in to comment in this discussion.