EP 5 sloppiest parts + overall impression

edited July 2015 in Game Of Thrones

First of all... I do think the ending worked but the lead up was not building tension but rather piling frustration due to sloppy writing from Telltale (which was unexpected but inevitable, probably due to focus on other projects). I greeted the episode with high hopes but ended up feeling that the only high point was basically the ending of the episode. I rarely get the feeling of just wanting the episode to be done with when I play TTG but this time that was the case, unfortunately. I have to suggest: Telltale, focus on the currently running projects, especially with the finale at hand (TFBL has come out extremely slow but been better so far, which is controversial too). For now, this means that the final episode has to be that much better since the penultimate was not on par with the rest of the season.
~7/10

Below is a list of my top 5 biggest disappointments with the episode.

1. Gryff apparently has an identical twin, received an eye transplant or can regenerate? (so I hear, didn't maim him)
  2. Traitor is solely based on your choice of sentinel? (unless both are disloyal...) --> LAME.
  3. Finn was killed in a way that did not manage to provoke anything but disappointment.
  4. Mira's whole arch in this episode was all filler, no killer. I honestly feel like that might have been the last nail in her coffin of neglect.
  5. The scenes with Ramsay felt like wasting time. This applies to all the other characters that are original to the GoT show as well.

Edit: Anything you would like to add or contest?

Comments

• I was rather disappointed that Mira's part didn't go anywhere this episode - the episode had the slide about her, and the key art was of king's landing, and the slide talked about living or dying when you play the game...I was really hoping that at the end of the episode, Mira would live or die depending on how you handle Tyrion.

• edited July 2015

Yeah I thought it would be better with the tyrion like what he says, does he name his witnesses ect, but it appears that you get found out no matter what which is BS

Flog61 posted: »

I was rather disappointed that Mira's part didn't go anywhere this episode - the episode had the slide about her, and the key art was of kin

• What are the potential results of the Tyrion scene? I got 2 ones from experimentation: where he makes up the names of witnesses, and where he says he has none which Cersei already knows.

• All I know from my game play is that he makes up names after him finding me out, I honestly think that and when he says he has no witnesses from your game is pretty pathetic since Telltale made Mira out to be a good liar and a good player of the game of thrones yet they make her story pointless in this episode and she gets found out no matter what.

What are the potential results of the Tyrion scene? I got 2 ones from experimentation: where he makes up the names of witnesses, and where he says he has none which Cersei already knows.

• Yeah, that surprised me too. I was wanting a heavily political Mira episode but this episode was mostly focused on Asher and Rodrik.

I was rather disappointed that Mira's part didn't go anywhere this episode - the episode had the slide about her, and the key art was of kin

• A) if you left him at Ironrath they just stormed the pllace..

B) ARthur was with us walking in...his men could have gotten him all strapped up after we went inside.

• edited July 2015

Tyrion already knew someone important sent Mira when she walked in there with a bottle of wine,as he points out, no one's allowed to bring alcohol to the prisoners, especially not a random handmaiden, unless she was given lease by some Lannister big shot with command over the King's Guard.

So really, there was no way to fool him. Cersei / Lucan's stupidity is to blame on this one.

The wine bottle was basically screaming "Cersei sent me!!"

• Well you can't exactly expect Tyrion to trust Mira with his life. Besides he is right, they don't serve wine to Kingslayers...

The plan to send Mira was BS by itself though.

Nightmare1 posted: »

All I know from my game play is that he makes up names after him finding me out, I honestly think that and when he says he has no witnesses

• Wow so Cersei just expected Tyrion to trust Mira and gave her a bottle of wine as a boon, while it is known prisonners don't get served wine, especially kingslayers.

Also what in the flying fuck Lucan ?! The guy just walks in and blows our cover, ruining the last little hope that remained. After that he just stands there like an idiot and listens to everything... Did he think that he was invisible or Tyrion was blind and deaf or something ? What a dumbass.. Cersei better not blame me for this crap

• It's a classic moment of Cersei's lack of foresight and planning.

As Tywyn and Tyrion like to say , "she's not as smart as she thinks she is"

_DIO_ posted: »

Wow so Cersei just expected Tyrion to trust Mira and gave her a bottle of wine as a boon, while it is known prisonners don't get served wine

• Well her paranoia aside, she does lack a lot of foresight but still she's not completely stupid... She has a relatively good cunning and shines on some occasions so yeah. I mostly blame Telltale for that one

FishySticks posted: »

It's a classic moment of Cersei's lack of foresight and planning. As Tywyn and Tyrion like to say , "she's not as smart as she thinks she is"

• I got the impression they took a half-hour chunk off this episode and will hopefully tack it onto the beginning of Ice Dragon.

• i think in the next episode Cersei will blame us for not getting the names but we will get the option to say it was Lucan's fault, i liked Mira's parts (in all the episodes) but i think she was really underused in this one. I pretty loved the episode not like many of the forum's member but i felt like it was way too short, i mean really. Lets hope we get a bloody finale, Asher killing every Whitehill, even Gwyn (might be a good scene, to choose to kill her or not)

_DIO_ posted: »

Wow so Cersei just expected Tyrion to trust Mira and gave her a bottle of wine as a boon, while it is known prisonners don't get served wine

• You mean cut from Mira and Gared's parts? Seems likely.

ranger563 posted: »

I got the impression they took a half-hour chunk off this episode and will hopefully tack it onto the beginning of Ice Dragon.

• edited July 2015

The early Xbox release had me pissed, maybe it dulled my enjoyment of the game. The questionable plot twists and holes weren't really making sense to me. This by far, in my opinion, the worst episode ever.

• Yeah, Gared and Mira's storylines seemed cut off right in the middle, so I think they saved them to make for a longer/stronger final episode and for more of a cliffhanger.

ranger563 posted: »

I got the impression they took a half-hour chunk off this episode and will hopefully tack it onto the beginning of Ice Dragon.

• Agreed. What bothers me is that now that the Boltons are out of the way and Mira's part hasn't moved forward at all, her plot is kind of underwhelming. Like the Ironwood exclusivity deal while very important, is more of a long-term reward and given that there is only one episode left well... It takes out the urgency feeling and with what is left, seems pointless from a gamer perspective.

desd960 posted: »

i think in the next episode Cersei will blame us for not getting the names but we will get the option to say it was Lucan's fault, i liked M

• Damn this is the same feeling i got while playing the latest tales from the borderlands ep SHAME.

• Am I the only one who thinks that Finn's death is similar to Nick's from TWD? I brought him with me for nothing other than helping us in fights?

• edited July 2015

At least he didn't die off-screen. Still a really underwhelming death for Finn. :/

AronDracula posted: »

Am I the only one who thinks that Finn's death is similar to Nick's from TWD? I brought him with me for nothing other than helping us in fights?

• Yes, but still

MichaelBP posted: »

At least he didn't die off-screen. Still a really underwhelming death for Finn.

• edited July 2015

I wish they had handled it better. Guess they probably just wanted to get rid of him, so that they wouldn't have to get his VA to record more lines and to animate him.

Yes, but still

• I can't handle this right now. Episode 5 disappointed so much.

MichaelBP posted: »

I wish they had handled it better. Guess they probably just wanted to get rid of him, so that they wouldn't have to get his VA to record more lines and to animate him.

• edited July 2015

Eh, I liked Asher and Rodrik's segments, along with the ending. Gared's segement was pretty disappointing. His story didn't progress that much.

I can't handle this right now. Episode 5 disappointed so much.

• edited July 2015

"Disappointment" sums it up perfectly, to me.

The last scene was the only thing of worth on the entire episode, in my opinion. I'm very disappointed with both Mira and Gared's parts, and don't get me started on the traitor issue.
    I give it a 5 out of 10. It is the worst rating I ever gave to an episode of a TellTale game so far.

• The only thing about the ending that bothers me is that it leaves both Rodrik and Asher as determinant, which means they are both doomed.

Abeille posted: »

"Disappointment" sums it up perfectly, to me. The last scene was the only thing of worth on the entire episode, in my opinion. I'm very d

• Yep. Unless the Brotherhood Without Banners is on the neighborhood, which while being awesome (because I would love to see Lady Stoneheart showing up), is very unlikely.

The only thing about the ending that bothers me is that it leaves both Rodrik and Asher as determinant, which means they are both doomed.

• The episode fell a bit flat till the end. I think the reason I dislike the tv show is starting to really kick in. None of the characters have any hope or any chance leading to an overall pointless watch/play.

• Ramsay is one of my favorite characters on the show easily but I agree that he should not be "at that shit stain of a holdfast" or debating marriage with a Forrester at this point in time - he should be in Moat Cailin or even Winterfell (depending on when in the series this episode takes place) and is either still a Snow (if it's pre-Bolton Winterfell) and therefore Roose doesn't really care much about marriage for him or he's legitimized and set to marry Sansa / Jayne Poole

• And wound him like that in the time Ramsy took him to walk to him.

Wigams posted: »

A) if you left him at Ironrath they just stormed the pllace.. ARthur was with us walking in...his men could have gotten him all strapped up after we went inside.

• The fact that no matter we do our choices doesn't matter at atll till the point of Asher/Rodric scene....

• Oh boy... this episode is going to let a lot of hate because of its ending... it doesn't help that we don't have a teaser for the final...

Bu most of the OP's points are quite valid (I'm still burnt over there being no real consequences for maiming Gryff, really this was such an obvious addition that we should have had, maybe the TT staff didn't have enough time for it on their schedule?)

I was a bit disappointed with how the traitor turned out... well I suppose I should be impressed with how TT tried to make Ethan's choice matter up to the very end, instead of just brushing him away after he had served his shock value death that set off a chain of a events (Ned Stark style?) - to be honest, I found myself enjoying Ramsay's brief cameo - at least he didn't exploit his plot armor too much... well except when he toyed with us trying to stab him.

Mira's parts were... okay - they deserve more credit. Mira has really changed from a simple Northern handmaiden into a cunning player of the game of thrones - and how that has cost her friendship with Sera, I love it how she's treading into the dark side of Kings Landing (Long Live Darth Mira) - this is excellent character development - however within the episode itself... her only interesting part was when we got to see Tyrion, probably for the last time (if S2 continues the Forresters then maybe Malcolm could be a playable character and we could meet Tyrion again) - otherwise I'm worried for her, last we saw she was being dragged off by a Lannister guard - I hate that guy... and where's Tom?

I'm kind of disappointed we just got more filler for the North Grove, I've been waiting since December 2014 to find out what the North Grove is, how is can help House Forrester, and how Gregor the Good knew about it - and the final episode won't be long enough to make the explanation satisfactory. I was hoping the penultimate episode would at least end with the discovery of the North Grove, though I suppose the major cliffhanger had to be reserved for that unfair choice we had to make in the end...

I was saddened by Finn's death, he wasn't always a nice guy but he became my friend despite his rough qualities - I'm sad how his death was handled... it felt rushed and lazy, like he had to be brushed off immediately without a satisfying end.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.