Worst Episode and Why (Spoilers)

First and foremost, let me say that I have enjoyed this series very well but this episode in particular really rubbed me the wrong way.

Let's just get the length of the episode out of the way first, shortest episode by far and it clearly suffers from it as we hastily jump from person to person without any time to let things set-in or consider what we've done before the next event is happening. Why can't we take a walk through Ironrath and see how our people are holding up? Feeling like we're lords over a ghost town nowadays where in the 1st episode we at least saw random NPC's mucking about. And Gared and Mira have the shortest bits of all which makes no sense, there should have been more of us going through the woods with Gared or more bantering with Tyrion as Mira. Oh, and you're telling me there wasn't some immediate retaliation from the Whitehills once Gryff got back safely? Come on TellTale.

My next issue comes from the fact that the alleged battle doesn't come up at all in the episode, remember how dire it looked? Empty streets, arrows lodged in houses, and blood pools... and the only victim we see of it is Arthur? Obviously he's the strongest pull for emotions but all we get about the rest of the soldiers, Glenmore's or ours is a passing sentence. I expected much more from Ramsay than just his usual threats, and that's all we get from him too? He happens to be passing through, screws up our affairs, and he's gone within the first 5 minutes of the episode. This really showed how the character was only there to be a force of impenetrable "Plot Armor" that we could do nothing against.

Then there's the BS that our choice matters in this series at all. i get the illusion of choice in these games very well but its made too obvious here. Befriended Finn, doesn't matter he ends up dead in Gared's 2nd scene barely before saying 3 lines, glad to see that impact. Helped Sera through and through, she wants nothing to do with you once you get control of Mira, glad to see that go anywhere. Then there's the matter of the traitor, for it to simply come down to who you did/didn't pick as your Sentinel? That's god-awful writing there, nothing more and nothing less.

This episode simply doesn't cut it for what we should have been expecting from this series. With all the backing and help TellTale has with this series alone, there's no excuse for such a short, poor, and inadequate episode. While it's easy to get fooled and look over the episode's faults because of the final choice we're forced to make and because they throw more of the big name characters at us, once you actually sit-back and consider everything that happened, it's just sub-par.

I really hope episode 6 is better than this but I had nothing but praise for this series before this, now, not so much. There's nothing wrong of course if you enjoyed this episode regardless but please take a step back at least and consider some of the things said and being said. We really should be expecting better, and yes I get how every episode can't be awesome but this one just had too many problems to overlook where as in the others it may have been 1 or 2 little things to really complain about story-wise.

Comments

• Ramsay wasn't as big an issue as he was a time waster. I have no idea why on earth Telltale gave us a choice like that, knowing he's a canon character and it just seemed like making it take up more time than it actually mean anything. It's so redundant and a cocktease for people who would want to. I agree with you about Finn's poor handling as a determinant character and how short it was

• And while I knew in my heart that Finn would end up dying or being lost at some point, I just wanted to bond with him a little more. I was getting there too, I wanted to be screaming "NO" at my screen when he died instead of saying, "Well that happened quicker than I thought"

Clemenem posted: »

Ramsay wasn't as big an issue as he was a time waster. I have no idea why on earth Telltale gave us a choice like that, knowing he's a canon

• I hated how Arthur got killed and the traitor blames you for it eventhough it wasn't your fault. The whole episode was a major let down. Truly rushed, and it could have been much better.

• Yup, Arthur was someone I predicted to die so I wasn't that fazed by him being one to die, but yes, very rushed.

I hated how Arthur got killed and the traitor blames you for it eventhough it wasn't your fault. The whole episode was a major let down. Truly rushed, and it could have been much better.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited July 2015

Finn was a real shame. He was shaping up to be a pretty good determinant character in episode 4. They were taking him in a good direction, and it really felt like he had a role, that he belonged. But then they managed to undo all of that progress in about 10 minutes.

• I couldn't agree more. Thank you for writing down everything I wanted to say but am too lazy to write.

What disappointed me the most, other than the poor writing regarding the traitor, was Mira's parts on this episode. I had such high expectations for her story! I simply loved her part at the coronation feast, it was my absolute favourite part in the game so far. Gared's part was much worse, of course, but Mira's part was the one that disappointed me the most because of that expectation that the coronation feast gave me. It felt so rushed this time... We didn't even get to talk to Tom or to Morgryn (I figured they both would be interested on speaking about what you found out about Andros) and we couldn't tell Sera we lied to Lord Tarwick for her when she was acting like she was the only one trying to be a good friend (oh what I wouldn't give to speak to Tarwick again, now!). I hope that, with only three POVs now, she gets more screen time on the last episode at least.

• How Telltale's writers should work.
    First - the meeting, discussions about plot, characters, planning, from the beginning till the end. Second - story is ready, lets make episode 1, then 2, 3...

How Telltale's writers are working.
    First - the meeting, talking about 1st ep., releasing it. Second - ok, done, it was good, time to think about episode 2, what are your ideas?

That is the problem. Telltale doesn't know the end of it's tales. Start is always great but then writers are switching places, everyone has own vision and... the last episodes are weak. Potential of Wolf, TWD s2, GoT and even Borderlands was and will be wasted.

• YES!! I thought for sure Mira would be the center of this episode given it's title and that it really seemed like things were becoming very dangerous for herself at king's Landing, especially after seeing the trailer. But no...

Abeille posted: »

I couldn't agree more. Thank you for writing down everything I wanted to say but am too lazy to write. What disappointed me the most, oth

• I'm still hopeful for Tales but I do feel your pain about the others for sure. That's really a problem with writing in general. I've done some myself and it's exactly like you said; beginning is interesting and draws you in, middle has some good drama/conflict happen, but then the ending is always the hardest part. But I just can't give them the same passes I used to for earlier work when, A). They've had more than enough practice to not make the same mistakes, and B). They have help from the outside too. There's just no excuse for this anymore.

Omid's cat posted: »

How Telltale's writers should work. First - the meeting, discussions about plot, characters, planning, from the beginning till the end. Se

• Another note, I feel like Cersei was kind of mishandled this episode. The "hearing" you have with her in Episode 1 was one of the most terrifying and nerve-wracking moments, despite being basically a simple conversation. Yet here, when she has even more potential power over you, it's a fairly simple, hard-to-mess-up chat. I expected she would grill me into being her spy, and that Tyrion would grill me for taking it, but they were both remarkably unbothered by the whole thing.

• Yup, you could cut the tension with a knife back in the 1st episode with Cersei. This go around should have been more like you said, I was totally expecting everything you had done as Mira to come back and bite you in that moment. But alas, we just have a quick chat and it's off to see the imp.

Wolf6120 posted: »

Another note, I feel like Cersei was kind of mishandled this episode. The "hearing" you have with her in Episode 1 was one of the most terri

• You had more fun at the coronation feast then the Highpoint sequences? The Highpoint scene was the best of the series by far. Rodrik and Ludd in the same room is gold.

Abeille posted: »

I couldn't agree more. Thank you for writing down everything I wanted to say but am too lazy to write. What disappointed me the most, oth

• the last episodes are weak. TWD s2

What were you talking about with TWD S2? I'm assuming you mean a certain character death that was poorly written but I feel everything else about the last episode of season 2 was fantastic.

How Telltale's writers should work. First - the meeting, discussions about plot, characters, planning, from the beginning till the end. Se

• I realised this too. Somehow the 4th episodes are always the weakest. TWD... TWAU and even with GoT. Now I'm afraid what they'll do to Tales....

• I agree with the writers switching places. There should be something of a "Gamerunner" who is similar to a showrunner. Borderlands will not be wasted, Wolf was not wasted.

Season 1 of the walking dead's ending was so awesome because they already knew exactly what they wanted right from the beginning.

• No, but things have been stacking against her since this thing started and I finally wanted to see some bite rather than bark from these enemies she has. Someone already tried to kill her, she has that document from Tyrion's chamber, and she stalled/thwarted an army from marching onto Ironrath herself. I love this political game she's playing and it seemed like it was going to boil over finally in this episode but we got a slight simmer at best. The Highpoint scene was fantastic but I love seeing the game played too, especially when someone loses.

Wigams posted: »

You had more fun at the coronation feast then the Highpoint sequences? The Highpoint scene was the best of the series by far. Rodrik and Ludd in the same room is gold.

• lulling you into a false sense of security perhaps? It seemed in keeping with Cersei's character that she can actually be quite pleasant when she wants something from you.As Tyrion warns don't trust her.

Yup, you could cut the tension with a knife back in the 1st episode with Cersei. This go around should have been more like you said, I was t

• Would have been nice to have the ability to warn Tyrion without making it obvious.

Wolf6120 posted: »

Another note, I feel like Cersei was kind of mishandled this episode. The "hearing" you have with her in Episode 1 was one of the most terri

• edited July 2015

Putting aside all the nonsensical reasons for the traitor betraying House Forrester (e.g. Duncan betraying the Forresters for not being made Sentinel yet being the only one trusted with the secret of the North Grove).

Its still pretty hazy as to what the traitor had to gain for doing so.

1. He says he released Gryff to protect Asher. That backfired badly.
    2. He didn't appear to be doing it for monetary benefit. Was he doing it simply to replace Rodrick with Asher? Once the Whitehills crushed the Forresters with the information given, how was Asher supposed to achieve anything?
    3. Hard to believe that the Whitehills would have promoted the traitor to a higher position with them than he already was with the Forresters.

So what was the motivation?

• Whispering is a lost technique in Westeros apparently...

Razerhdd posted: »

Would have been nice to have the ability to warn Tyrion without making it obvious.

• I understood what Cersei was up to the moment she was complimenting me but it just fell flat compared to how nervous I and others felt with that first encounter with her. I was fully expecting her to bring out Tom or reveal the knife that killed the guard to make us get the information from Tyrion. The conversation just felt too casual and relaxed, the viper never showed her fangs like she did before and I wish she had.

Sarson posted: »

lulling you into a false sense of security perhaps? It seemed in keeping with Cersei's character that she can actually be quite pleasant when she wants something from you.As Tyrion warns don't trust her.

• The Highpoint sequence was good for different reasons, but yeah, I enjoyed the coronation feast better. Eavesdropping, asking the right questions, watching people's reactions to these questions, that was really entertaining to me. The only issue I had with it was that I wish it was longer. I wish I had more time and options to beat around the bush while talking to Morgryn and Andros. Especially Morgryn, to be honest. I really don't trust him (though I used to be way more paranoid about him), and I wanted to ask him more questions. I guess that's more my kind of thing then the Highpoint sequence.

You had more fun at the coronation feast then the Highpoint sequences? The Highpoint scene was the best of the series by far. Rodrik and Ludd in the same room is gold.

• Fantastic? Silly, forced deaths of Luke and Rebecca - fantastic. Town runs away - fantastic. Perfect baby AJ - fantastic. Kill Arvo's friends and he'll help you - fantastic. Russians are bad shooters - fantastic. Clem's healing powers - fantastic.

Nohgamer posted: »

the last episodes are weak. TWD s2 What were you talking about with TWD S2? I'm assuming you mean a certain character death that was poorly written but I feel everything else about the last episode of season 2 was fantastic.

• or a [Nod]

would've been nice.

Whispering is a lost technique in Westeros apparently...

• This is another penultimate episode which pissed me off so much. First was TWDS2 EP4.

• Excellent questions, I would like to see them answered by someone!

asanque posted: »

Putting aside all the nonsensical reasons for the traitor betraying House Forrester (e.g. Duncan betraying the Forresters for not being made

• Just play Tales instead, it's better :D

• I think Telltale had their unpaid interns do the work while they were on vacation.

• edited July 2015

I TOLD EVERYONE! the sentinel decision determined the traitor, people kept saying it was the poor maester hehe
    The episode did feel a little short, tho it made me cry two times, so it is good for me.

• edited July 2015

Rebecca's death was believable and if you say it wasn't you aren't looking at it realistically. She just went through CHILDBIRTH while barely having any food for the last few days, then immediately goes out into the cold and exposes her weak immune system and body to the cold and constant walking? Maybe she shouldn't have died, I agree, but at the BARE minimum she would NOT have made it out of there. I agree Telltale fucked up with the gun fight, but for the later situations (final choice between Jane and Kenny, Mike and Bonnie's betrayal) they COULDN'T kill them. It would fuck up what they had planned for later.

Town runs away

Welp, they kind of had Arvo taking them to a place where they knew FOR SURE there was lots of food. Why would you complain about that?

Perfect baby Aj

Obviously they aren't going to kill a child who can hold a lot of value in Season 3. HE could be the new protag if they wanted, or have a Clem role ala Season 1. Plus it's a NEWBORN CHILD. Even TellTale realizes they shouldn't kill a fucking baby.

In the end, it's a video game. Who the fuck cares if some things don't make sense. It was a great experience and wishing Telltale did things differently won't accomplish anything in the long run. Just enjoy the games.

Fantastic? Silly, forced deaths of Luke and Rebecca - fantastic. Town runs away - fantastic. Perfect baby AJ - fantastic. Kill Arvo's friends and he'll help you - fantastic. Russians are bad shooters - fantastic. Clem's healing powers - fantastic.

• I had a good feeling, when he was actually used in Episode 4 if we brought him along. Even thought it seemed good when the first lines in Gared's story belonged to Finn and Sylvi talking to one another... but then, when the fight begun, I knew this would be where Finn met his end. Telltale, we brought him for a reason.

Deltino posted: »

Finn was a real shame. He was shaping up to be a pretty good determinant character in episode 4. They were taking him in a good direction, a

• I like TTGoT more, sue me. I don't have any money though, so maybe not.

kaza125 posted: »

Just play Tales instead, it's better

• I disagree it was a great episode though I'll admit it's my least favourite so far but I still loved it.

• I got nothing as far as a motivation goes for Royland/Duncan and that's a big part of what makes them being the traitors so dumb. There's that other thread that portrays what they've done, will do, and their personal characteristics that just illuminates more to the point how little sense it makes. With the others a reason was either there or could have been explained but there really isn't a solid motivation to find.

asanque posted: »

Putting aside all the nonsensical reasons for the traitor betraying House Forrester (e.g. Duncan betraying the Forresters for not being made

• I am playing Tales too but now I'm afraid they're going to blow it after playing this, all that regained faith has been shaken again.

kaza125 posted: »

Just play Tales instead, it's better

• Too late, my lawyer will be contacting you tomorrow. I'll teach you to like other things!

Lewsblake23 posted: »

I like TTGoT more, sue me. I don't have any money though, so maybe not.

• hysterical sobbing

Too late, my lawyer will be contacting you tomorrow. I'll teach you to like other things!

• This episode was a waste of time mostly.

I liked the storyline with the pitfighters even though it didn't fit in the general context (why were we allowed to fight to the death when the queen has closed all fighting pits?)

I liked the part with the white walkers, even if the story did not make any progress. (I was not accompanied by Finn so that lucky bastard still warms his feet in castle black and couldn't die.)

But the rest was sht, sht and sh*t again. Why would the guard spoil Miras mission? He should have pretended not to listen. Also the dialog with Cersai was quite lame. And in this storyline they could have made our decisions matter. Like Cersai found the letter from Tyrion if we didn't burn it or something. Instead: nothing.

What is it with Ramsey? We should have had the oportunity to maneuver him out. Instead: one cruel video sequence with no choices at all. I tried to stab him by the way. Well he didn't care...

How could Gryff march with an army to a harbor town? Don't they have a map of Westeros?

They do plan out their series in advance, believe it or not. The real problem is when someone decides halfway through the series that something should be re-written.

I agree with the writers switching places. There should be something of a "Gamerunner" who is similar to a showrunner

TFTB has dedicated Season Leads (which more or less accomplish the same thing), which probably explains why it's been the most cohesive and consistent series so far

I agree with the writers switching places. There should be something of a "Gamerunner" who is similar to a showrunner. Borderlands will not

Sign in to comment in this discussion.