Does Telltale ever read the forums?

I'm gonna be frank. I like telltale's games. My problem here is that its like all the feedback we are giving them is completely ignored. Telltale keeps making the same stupid things all the forum members complain about. Meaningfull choices that everyone is begging for? Not even once. Killing characters just for the shock value and having no way what so ever to stop that from happening? Every time. Hell it's just so fun saving a determinant character because you just know he is going to die and have no part or use in the story. And that has happened in every game.

That brings me to my point. We keep complaining about how things work with telltale, yet nothing changes. We keep being reminded that they are watching the forums, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Anyway i'm just expressing my opinion. But after playing twd, twd 2, twau, and got, im starting to lose interest in telltale's games because the same things will keep happening. Characters dying for no reason, choices that don't matter etc. Of course you can just say "stop buying their games then" and you have every right to do so. But that is not my point right now. I was just hoping that telltale could change and wanted to sure my feelings with the forum.

So what do you guys think?

Comments

• edited July 2015

I've seen several Telltale Staff members, such as @ArthurV and @TelltaleMIke. Arthur is a chill dude and pops in random threads from time to time. Mike roams the support threads primarily.

My guess is that they've found a working formula through the more story driven type of gameplay first introduced in TWD and they won't/aren't able to find a way to deviate from that formula.

So, yes Telltale reads the forums but is stuck in this style of game that is popular and this is how they do it.

• Well in my opinion, that's not really a good strategy as it can get repetitive and boring fast. I believe that they should change some things if they want to really keep all of their fans..but that's just my opinion.

torkahn808 posted: »

I've seen several Telltale Staff members, such as @ArthurV and @TelltaleMIke. Arthur is a chill dude and pops in random threads from time to

• Maybe that's what their minecraft story is for... experimenting freely when they don't have their hands tied because of canon issues to the original franchise.

But, unfortunately, I'm not at all hyped for the minecraft story. In fact, at this point it'll take a miracle to get me to try it out.

zervinio posted: »

Well in my opinion, that's not really a good strategy as it can get repetitive and boring fast. I believe that they should change some things if they want to really keep all of their fans..but that's just my opinion.

• I actually agree with you. To be honest i just expect the same things will happen..and also i find that a telltale game in the minecraft world just doesn't...fit. Like at all.

endoftimes posted: »

Maybe that's what their minecraft story is for... experimenting freely when they don't have their hands tied because of canon issues to the

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Eh, personally I'm not tired of this style, I absolutely love it, and I like how the currently ongoing TFTB makes fun of it/plays around with it more. I've never really cared about choices mattering so long as the story stays good and interesting (although determinant characters should definitely be worked on). So long as they keep experimenting with the formula I don't think I'll get bored.

• "Meaningfull choices". It takes much more effort to put them in to game. TTG won't create perfect illusion of life. Game will always be a game, closed world.

Telltale should read the forum, YES. Game company makes mistakes, forgets about details all the time. Forum members are trying to help, show what's wrong. Sometimes it works - "it's winter, give her a jacket". Usually it doesn't work - "12 year old girl can't be that strong".

• U have the best name in this foruns :3

Omid's cat posted: »

"Meaningfull choices". It takes much more effort to put them in to game. TTG won't create perfect illusion of life. Game will always be a ga

• But its gonna be pissed.

• So what do you guys think?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• edited July 2015

I understand your gripes and frustration and I share most of them too, I've been an avid TellTale game player since TWD but after season 2 and the absolute lie of what 400 Days was, I grew wary of their games. Tales and Thrones have done a wonderful job winning me back and reaffirming my faith with the company but after episode 5 here, I'm back to sitting on the fence.

Their model has become painfully see-through in most of their titles now and I'm personally getting tired with them advertising "Choice" to people when there really is none. Whether they read the forums or not unfortunately doesn't matter, as long as they're profiting nothing will change since they'll see it that nothing has to change.

The only thing that's going to really force them to change their habits now is if people stop buying the same recycled formula. But people are attracted to these games for so many reasons; popular titles, cheap purchase and short playtime, and it's well known how good of a story TellTale can make (for the first few episodes at least).

Honestly it's either going to be something you're okay with and keep picking up or you'll eventually not bother with them again and move on to another. So far Life is Strange has been doing a good job and some healthy competition could also help TellTale too.

• no they are too busy counting money

• edited July 2015

Your personal gripes might not apply to everyone, so how are they going to change the things you dont like and also cater to other fans? Its impossible. They read the forums Im sure but if you expect them to change everything to your satisfaction, not happening. They have to stick to their model to maintain some consistency.

• ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni

Yessir.

• Hmm, yeah it's weird. I mean, posters with Telltale Staff next to their name responding articulately to discussions and interacting with other users? Obviously imposters right?

• Can I ask, as a staffer, do you guys get frustrated with some of the comments or do you just take everything in stride and just enjoy getting feedback, good or bad?

ArthurV posted: »

Yessir.

• They do, but I would understand if they didn't.

Most posters here can be extremely harsh pretty much all the time.

• Yes, but only for the lulz. They wouldn't take our input seriously.

• kenjisalkkenjisalk Telltale Alumni

We definitely pay attention and super appreciate all feedback! We want to make the best narrative driven games possible, and are constantly at work to make experiences people will be excited about.

Keep sharing your thoughts and concerns and we'll keep working hard at making each new episode as great as it can be!

edited July 2015

I can only speak for myself: I love seeing feedback on the forums, both positive and negative. I love that people care so much about the games we put our hearts and souls into. Posters wouldn't be so passionate if they didn't care. Personally, I learn a lot from the constructive criticism.

KCohere posted: »

Can I ask, as a staffer, do you guys get frustrated with some of the comments or do you just take everything in stride and just enjoy getting feedback, good or bad?

• Well, then as you must know, this forum is filled with a lot of negativity but I'm glad you realize it all comes from essentially, a good place. That is, we're all incredibly invested in this amazing game and story you've helped to craft.

So, thank you :)

I can only speak for myself: I love seeing feedback on the forums, both positive and negative. I love that people care so much about the gam

• I just wanna say this... To all of you Telltale Staff, I sometimes might get frustrated with a small oversight or two you tend to make, but i dont hold it againts you cuz you prolly work hard and i wanna say that you guys do an amazing job... I love your stories and i hope you keep caring about the fans and doing good stories...

There, i'm done asskissing!

• quick suggestion:Eleana!Pregnancy!Major plotwist!(u guys can even use some of the assets from TWDS2 for the baby and Rodrick will be the dad,right?)

kenjisalk posted: »

We definitely pay attention and super appreciate all feedback! We want to make the best narrative driven games possible, and are constantly

• Just a question... Will you fix Gryff's model to have an eyepatch or was that not there for a reason?

kenjisalk posted: »

We definitely pay attention and super appreciate all feedback! We want to make the best narrative driven games possible, and are constantly

• edited July 2015

You're a good man Arthur

It's good that you don't read too much in our criticisms. Some of our nitpicking is to blow-off some steam but most of our criticisms are purely for the good of those games that we love :)

P-S: Just so you know personally, the voice acting (and the voice actors themselves) is flawless. If there's something I can't criticize, it's this. Your work as voice director is remarkable, just wanted to let you know that...

I can only speak for myself: I love seeing feedback on the forums, both positive and negative. I love that people care so much about the gam

• Didn't it get glitched out? If so, it should be very possible to fix. I actually think that's something they should fix ASAP.

Just a question... Will you fix Gryff's model to have an eyepatch or was that not there for a reason?

edited July 2015

Thanks Dillon and Dio, that means a lot. I totally understand what it means to be passionate about something you love. Everyone at Telltale is a huge fan of the properties we work on, and it matters tremendously to us to respect and live up to the high standards people expect.

And thank you for the compliment on the voice acting, though most of that credit deserves to go to the writers who craft some of the best dialog in the business, the amazing actors who never cease to surprise and impress me, and my fellow voice director Will Beckman who I learn from every day. They make my job easy. I know I can always improve: I feel significantly more confident in my directing now working on episode 6 than I did at the start of the season, and there's so much left for me to learn going forward. I strive to keep getting better at supporting our writers and actors to deliver the best voice performances our players deserve. :-)

_DIO_ posted: »

You're a good man Arthur It's good that you don't read too much in our criticisms. Some of our nitpicking is to blow-off some steam but m

• Me: That Arthur is a cool guy...

Khaleesi:

Alt text

Give yourself some credit too man :)

Thanks Dillon and Dio, that means a lot. I totally understand what it means to be passionate about something you love. Everyone at Telltale

• That's the right state of mind. Keep absorbing all the knowledge and experience around you like a sponge, I have no worries you'll be able to deliver just what you want !

Thanks Dillon and Dio, that means a lot. I totally understand what it means to be passionate about something you love. Everyone at Telltale

• edited July 2015

I would be rather surprised if the lazy comments and such didn't bother you at least a little, even if you say they don't . . . ;) Creator sweats a lot trying to make something, then they get called lazy. Other types of criticism with one exception aren't bad though.

Anyhow, glad to hear you don't let it bother you much!

PS: It's funny though. I was watching a Youtube video where some of the authors under the Choice of Games label were talking. It was mentioned that it's never enough, no matter how much content/choice you give people. Tongue in cheek of course.

• Considering how alot of the people on these forums( and similar forums) are, I wouldn't blame if some of the staff didn't pay attention to feedback. Having said that, I do appreciate the staff members who do listen to feedback

• Im glad to hear that and thank you for answering. Im personally very thin-skinned and would probably cry, lol.

• It's good to see telltale staff in the forums.. I guess you really do check them. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. And as people said here, other users can be harsh at times but thats mainly because they care about the games you guys make (well... Most of them at least). However my point still is here.. No doubt you guys work really hard to make sure you bring quality contents to your fans.. But there is a pattern here in all of your games.. Again, just my opinion. In the end though i will still keep buying them because of the really interesting story and effort you guys put in.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.