Episode 5 GOT ending. The forresters are stupid

From a tactical perspective these Forrester people are stupid, and this is coming from the guy that elected Royland as sentinel (He's apparently a man of war). I seriously cannot fathom how Rodrick, Royland or even Asher let himself get ambushed at the eerily quiet coastal city by what appears to be 20-40 men.

The first thing I cannot fathom is why they don't secure the goddamn landing. That's literally the first thing anyone remotely competent would do. You tear open the houses, go door to door, and scope the place out for hostiles as you round up the peasants for an impromptu talk about why you are here with the bulk of your forces going through the village and a few scouts man the walls in case the enemy to show up the conventional way.

You literally cannot hide that many men that easily. The whitehills are not known for their cunning, nor is Gryff known for his guile. The forresters have a bad case of stupid. They suck at forging alliances, they suck at waging war, they suck at managing their estates, and they suck at intrigue.

The second thing I cannot fathom why after slamming the gates shut is that there are stairs leading up to the wall. You can literally jump off it and have your men save you from dying. There is no need for a last stand after letting Asher through the gates Rodrick.

The forresters are stupid, but at least Asher is goddamn sexy, and his brother isn't bad too - in a stoic and masculine kind of way.

Comments

• edited July 2015

Don't forget that White Harbour is controlled by the Manderlies, the Northern house with the largest amount of Knights. They wouldn't allow a petty House war in their streets, and they would gladly kill both Forresters and Whitehills.

• That makes it even worse. I hope we can talk with the Manderlies afterwards and blame them for Rodricks death, soo they'll send us men to sort things out with the whitehills.

Don't forget that White Harbour is controlled by the Manderlies, the Northern house with the largest amount of Knights. They wouldn't allow a petty House war in their streets, and they would gladly kill both Forresters and Whitehills.

• Or Asher's death

Dinapuff posted: »

That makes it even worse. I hope we can talk with the Manderlies afterwards and blame them for Rodricks death, soo they'll send us men to sort things out with the whitehills.

• Was this White Harbour though?

• In the game files it's named White Harbour.

Was this White Harbour though?

• Oh, okay, well in that case I totally agree with what you said :D

In the game files it's named White Harbour.

• Aren't the Manderlies extremely loyal to House Stark?

• Well they are being submissive towards Boltons after the Red Wedding but at the same time they are planning a rebellion.

Aren't the Manderlies extremely loyal to House Stark?

• Telltale wanted a shocking ending, that's all.

• Let's not blame the Forrestors, but the writers of this episode, while not a horrible one, definitely the weakest overall as the shoddy reasoning, characterization, and planning continues to be torn apart over time.

• The only thing I could imagine would be that they just arrived there a few seconds ago, and that Rodrik was discussing how to move forward or how to secure the area, but i doubt that. And did you see that strange look of your sentinel when Rodrik orders his soldiers to leave, evil face. And why did the sentinel just repead the gesture Rodrik made, is it normal that someone like him repeats that or could it be that there is a second traitor? Cause seconds after that a Whitehill soldier comes and closes the gate. I mean that would be kinda ridicolous, but this whole Duncan/Royland thing itself is kinda ridicolous.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.