Episode 5 makes no Sense.

edited July 2015 in Game Of Thrones

First of all im new to the Forum so Hello to everyone :)

Lets get started why Episode 5 makes no sense for me and hopefully some ppl here can enlighten me. I also will write some thing i would have liked to see instead.

The Traitor: We all know by now that its either Duncan or Royland. Both make no Sense because they start selling their House out because they didn't get Sentinel. Which is horrible writing but lets assume that makes sense.
Before that they will lead you to the secret meeting with Gwyn where she tells you that you have a Traitor. So the one Person who has Intel on both houses gets Intel from Gwyn for a secret meeting where she will reveal his doings? What?
And the Motive doesn't make any sense. He tries to save this house by telling the enemy that tries to destroy the house tell absolutely everything we are up to. What kind of logic is that? I killed you because i loved you? At least give the Traiter a Mental breakdown or that he has no more hope for this house and only wanted to save at least some lifes till its all over but not this nonsense about i will save you by ensuring to get you all killed.

The only Solution for me would be that Gwynn is the contact of the Traitor which would make it awesome and Cruel at the same time since in my playthrough Asher is the one who got killed. So Gwyn is responsible for the murdering on her beloved Asher. It also would mean that Gwyn is the one who ensures the peace till now on House Whitehill.

My Story would have looked different. For me Gwyn could have made up this whole Traitor story so that the Forresters spy on each other and dont stand together against the Whitehills. After the Whitehills made the Forresters powerless they could have proposed that Asher should be the new Lord and marry Gwyn to ensure the peace and alliance between those 2 houses. Of Course Gwyn would then be like Cersei and manipulating everyone to her liking while ensuring the raise in power of the Whitehills.

1. Cersei and Mira. Regardless of what she did in your playtroughs, Mira already lost the trust of Margery and her protection as well. She has no allies with Power in Kings Landing anymore and therefore is pretty much useless for Cersei to spy on Margery in any way. Even if she manages to magically make Mira a Handmaiden for Margery again which is possible i admit, i highly doubt that Margery is stupid enough to not see the obvious spy. The Point is Cersei gains absolutely nothing out of this so why is she offering help? Not even in the slightest i could come up with anything. Mira for me is the next person to die.

2. Gared and the North Grove. Ok that escalated quickly and Finn found his young grave there (at least he didnt froze his arse off) but here is my problem with this storyline.
    The North Grove even if it is what Sylvi told us (a Place where the cold cant get in and the white walkers cant go) its complete and utter useless for the Forresters. It can help Gared to survive but there is no guarantee that he will even find it and even if he does what then? He either stays there. Joins Mance and try to cross the Wall and give word to the Forresters or simply becomes useless. For me this storyline has become a dead end.

3. Asher or Rodriks Death. Now let me get one thing clear. I dont mind any of those 2 Characters dying! BUT Given the Choices we had non of those 2 had to die and the reason one of them did die is horrible if not to say Ashaming story writing. And i will explain why.

We get 2 Choices before the Ambush takes place. Either Kill the Traitor or don't. But its pointless what you do. Which makes absolutely no sense and was the biggest dissapointment for me!

Choice 1.
Rodrik can spare the Traitor and gets information about the Ambush. Well if so then we should know what the Whitehills are up to and ambush either them or suprise them at least by showing up there and secure the place right? Wrong. In Fact we are getting also caught in the Ambush? Soldiers die and Rodrik or Asher has to stay behind and face a cruel death. Wait what? If we get information about the Ambush (When/Where/how many troops and so on) why are we exactly getting Ambushed then? The whole benefit of an Ambush is the surprise which in this case isn't there anymore. In which Universe of the Storywriters thinking does that make any sense that you know of the Ambush but it still works like planned??

Choice 2.
Rodrik can kill the traitor and lacks the Information about the Ambush. He only know they will Ambush Asher and tries to save him. The Ambush happens sooner then expected and everything goes wrong and some ppl die and either Asher or Rodrik need to stay behind while even the Beast already died. So you either watch Asher or Rodrik die a cruel death.

To me that is the worst part of the whole Story since it all started cause it doesnt make any sense.

Ethan made sense cause Ramsay had to show who was in charge and that he only needs house forrester for ironwood but won't allow any disobeying from this house. Ethan acted like he was a Lord of a Noble house with Power (Which everyone told him) when in fact he was only negotiating the terms of his full surrender to the Boltons which lead to his demise so House Forrester knows his place.

Ramsay also had to kill a Glennwood to ensure that their house rethinks an alliance with house Forrester and a possible war against house bolton to show them that disobeying will lead to their cruel deaths. However he didn't care about if the Alliance happens and House Forrester wipes out the Whitehills. He only cares about himself and his house so this helps us even if we lost Eleanas brother in the proces.. The Whitehills have no more Protection.

But the Asher and Rodrik part is pretty much nonsense.

Why didnt any of the Devs come op with the Solution that was obvious. If you let the Traitor live you can save Asher from the Ambush and if you killed the traitor one of those 2 is doomed to die there?
If we know about the Ambush and the Traitor is alive it just doesn't make sense that we still get ambushed and killed in the process when we for a fact know what they are up to. Especially if we already have arrived before Asher and welcome him.

However it would make total sense if we kill the Traitor and everything went to shitville. Maybe in Episode 6 we can fulfill roylands dream and mine and "Burn Highpoint to the fokkin ground" and kill everyone including this treacherous Gwyn (which will have a part in this whole traitor thing im sure of) or we simply watch how house forrester gets wiped out and only Talia survives for Season 2 which then i completely lost interes in.

I know some ppl have to die. Its Game of Thrones of course but to me this was just cheap writing. None of those 2 had to die on this Ambush and i dont know if its because of EA or because of a rushed episode but so much potential was wasted on this Episode.

Comments

• We got jackets.

• Welcome to the forum! :)

• Great. Another one of these threads. Welcome to the club.

• Plotholes from ice!

• Lol yes alot of them ^^

Plotholes from ice!

• uhhh everyone loves bacon. I would start a war in Westeros for bacon xD

• Um no it doesn't. The OP brings up decent points about things lacking great development such as the traitor which lacks any intelligent motivation outside of "Your brother picked him as sentinel and not me waah!" The reveal could have been done better by people on the forums and all the build up to it was wasted

• True! And welcome!

Yggalf posted: »

uhhh everyone loves bacon. I would start a war in Westeros for bacon xD

• [removed]

Clemenem posted: »

Um no it doesn't. The OP brings up decent points about things lacking great development such as the traitor which lacks any intelligent moti

• edited July 2015

Yes it could lol. We have some very talented writers some I've read turned out to be a better written conclusion to the traitor plot line. Gotta give them some credit

• edited July 2015

We have some very talented writers

On the forums? lol.

Yes it could lol. We have some very talented writers some I've read turned out to be a better written conclusion to the traitor plot line. Gotta give them some credit

• edited July 2015

Not at all. As i said the story as it was presented doesn't make sense.

• A Traitor that betrays you because he didn't become Sentinel and justify his actions with a paradox logic like "i ensure to protect you all by ensuring you all will die"

• Cersei helping Mira when she can't gain anything from it since Mira lost the trust of Margery and her House doesn't have any power and Mira has no one left protecting her in Kings Landing.

• An Ambush that still works after knowing where this ambush happens and when exactly! But we get to choose to kill the traitor (Ok we can't know shit about this ambush) or we let the traitor live (and know exactly everything about the ambush) When an Ambush only works because of the suprise factor! And in Both options we get the traitor reveals that where and when the ambush is happening.

• A North Grove that is revealed as a Place that can't help the Forresters in the upcoming war against the Whitehills and even if it could Gared has no way to go back or even cross the Wall in any way which leads to a dead end! Maybe it becomes usefull in Season 2 but i don't see a way for Gared to ever return yet.

The Story is great and had so much potential but there are so many plot holes or issues in terms of logic or the lack of logic that this whole potential was wasted.

• None of these you have mentioned are plot holes. Also, I'm pretty sure the traitors reasons are more than just " ethan didn't pick me as sentinel". More about the choices you have made as Rodrik. I should know since I played the episode. Again, all this reads as " they should have taken the story how I would have wanted it to go."

Not at all. As i said the story as it was presented doesn't make sense. * A Traitor that betrays you because he didn't become Sentinel

• Yes on the forums what's so hard to believe about that

We have some very talented writers On the forums? lol.

• edited July 2015

Yes those are plot holes. "A plot hole or plothole is an obvious mistake or missing element in the plot of a fictional work, such as a book, play, film, or TV show.[1] These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline."

Maybe you should reread what i wrote instead of interpret things that aren't there cause if you think this thread is about "they should have taken the story how i would have wanted it to go" you simply don't understand what i write and are not fit to discuss it in any way.

What the traitors reasons are is irrelevant since he is already dead or locked in and already explain himself which as i now multiple times said makes no sense. He didn't get picked as Sentinel and is mad (like a little ranting child) and therefore tries to ensure the saftey of everyone by ensuring that everyone will die by the hand of the whitehills. Now Explain how this makes sense? Cause thats what we got in this Episode.

Cersei is helping Mira when in return she has nothing to offer. The questioning of Thyrion is a Test of course but still. If she manages to impress Cersei what can she give in return? Margery doesn't trust her anymore. She has no allies in Kings Landing. And her house is almost extinct. Cersei gains nothing out of this deal and there is nothing on the horizon to prove otherwise.

The Ambush is nonsense since we already know of it where and when and the North Grove is a Dead end till Season 2.

PS: Your last Post with your meme to troll me got flaged by me as trolling and it seems that it was removed. Since you are not interested in a discussion and only in trolling me i tell you that i will simply ignore you from now on. Still thanks for your time :)

None of these you have mentioned are plot holes. Also, I'm pretty sure the traitors reasons are more than just " ethan didn't pick me as sen

• [removed]

Yes those are plot holes. "A plot hole or plothole is an obvious mistake or missing element in the plot of a fictional work, such as a book,

• i dont know if its because of EA or because of a rushed episode

First, welcome to the forum. Your post was very well thought out and made a lot of sense. Just curious though, near the end you mention EA. What does Electronic Arts have to do with TTG or this story? Or do you mean E3?

• Ok so you troll on purpose good to know to ignore you little kid from now on :)

• I somewhere read that EA is now involved with Telltale but cant find the exact post atm. And Thanks :)

Bluebirdo posted: »

i dont know if its because of EA or because of a rushed episode First, welcome to the forum. Your post was very well thought out and

• Its a troll just ignore him sooner or later his acc will go poof.

Yes on the forums what's so hard to believe about that

Sign in to comment in this discussion.