I don't play Telltale Games the same anymore. *All Telltale Games Spoilers*

edited August 2015 in Game Of Thrones

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL TELLTALE GAMES AND GAME OF THRONES TV SHOW.

Let me start off by saying that prior to Episode 5 of Game of Thrones, I was always "the nice guy". My Lee was a saint who strove to be the best example for Clementine and always give people a chance (Ben included); my Clementine followed her guardian's footsteps. As Bigby, I mercifully spared the Crooked man even after he attempted to throw me down the Witching Well. As Rhys, I refused the help of Handsome Jack and told him he was a psychopath. Through each episode of each season, I did what I thought was the right thing, regardless of what would happen to my character.

Not anymore.

I started Game of Thrones with these intentions in mind- don't pretend to be Margaery in the letter, try to spare the guy who killed Gared's family-you get the idea. And then, at the end of episode 5, the traitor was revealed. Sir Royland. I didn't have anything against him personally-I understood his motivations, respected them, even, although I never would have done what he did in his position.

Then came the choice-spare or kill. My Lee would have spared him-he allowed Lilly back on the bus, even after she killed the woman he was developing feelings for. He didn't have the heart to kill the Stranger that even said he would kill him. My Bigby would have spared him-he treated Dee non-violently during the interrogation, spared Dum in the alley fight, and came to good terms with the Woodsman. My Clementine would have done the same. Fiona allowed Felix to escape even after his betrayal.

Yet my Rodrik impaled Royland in the chest.

At first I was confused with myself. Why did I do that? He could've given me intel on the planned ambush for Asher. He had been a respected member of my family for years. I'm sure anybody of that family would've had some minor regrets over killing him. But then I realized why. Being an avid fan of the show the game is based on (and still reeling over the death of Jon Snow), I was, quite simply, sick of all the oppression. Day in and day out, Gryff laughed as I bent the knee and vowed revenge. No matter what I did, it never worked. I didn't even bother trying to kill Ramsay-damn plot armor. But Royland's betrayal? That was the last straw.

Surprisingly, the final choice took me no time at all-Asher gave his life to save his brother's. In my opinion, the House could not afford to lose another Lord. It wasn't till hours after that I realized the real reason I chose how I did. Rodrik had gone through enough. Now was the time for his vengeance. And unlike Bigby, and Lee, and Clementine, even Rhys and Fiona, I was going to kill. Every last Whitehill I see.

Comments

• For me being the 'good' guy is that much more appealing in a world like Game of Thrones.

• There is also a thing such as 'too good'... thats not me tho...

• I agree 100%. I, do, however, think it would be interesting if Telltale just didn't give you the option to let all the Forresters live if you attempt a peaceful resolution. Watching the show and playing this game, time and time again I've been deterred from making the right choices. After I calmed down over Asher's death a little bit, I realized I probably will spare Gwyn, because she actually tried to help and peacefully resolve everything. But there's no way I'm going to spare Gryff unless it guarantees the Forrester's survival.

AgentZ46 posted: »

For me being the 'good' guy is that much more appealing in a world like Game of Thrones.

• Choosing Rodrik to survive was rather quick for me. It was simple because while Asher may be the superior warrior, Rodrik is the superior leader and he is a veteran of War of the Five Kings.

• I can actually sense a sort of "character development" in you as I read this. It was an enjoyable read to say the least. Game of Thrones will do that to you :/

• Not only is he a veteran of the War of the Five Kings, he is also one of the few survivors of The Red Wedding!

I saved Asher I felt it made the most sense for the story and Rodrik went to the coast with the intention of saving Asher, Ethan and Rodrik had good runs as Lords now it's the exiled son's turn to shine!

Choosing Rodrik to survive was rather quick for me. It was simple because while Asher may be the superior warrior, Rodrik is the superior leader and he is a veteran of War of the Five Kings.

• I noticed that too. Play as if I was meant to die by this choice, I will.

• Your problem you are the good guy in Game of Thrones.
    Everyone has to get it, if you do good things in Game of thrones you die.
    If you do questionable but wise and honorable things then you get wounded.
    If you do bad things in Game of thrones you live a big happy life.

That's how Game of thrones works. So I suggest being alittle bit evil and alittle bit of good aswell if you are playing GoT.

• Both sides can be argued quite easily-for example, Asher's death can be viewed to spur Gwyn either to hatred or wish for peace. If Asher is alive, he'll have the same effects, albeit with his life intact. It is a really tough decision in retrospect.

Not only is he a veteran of the War of the Five Kings, he is also one of the few survivors of The Red Wedding! I saved Asher I felt it ma

• I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from :)

NamelessAce posted: »

I can actually sense a sort of "character development" in you as I read this. It was an enjoyable read to say the least. Game of Thrones will do that to you

• I just follow Tywin's example when playing GoT.

Alt text

• That's a great idea, as long as you treat your relatives with love and respect to not have them bite you in the ass later.

I just follow Tywin's example when playing GoT.

• Anyone who survived the Red Wedding has more than earned the title of King Badass. ;)

Not only is he a veteran of the War of the Five Kings, he is also one of the few survivors of The Red Wedding! I saved Asher I felt it ma

• edited August 2015

I never really played my character like full nice guys. I mostly try to adapt to the character's personality and temperament, then add my personal touch to it. (Exception I play Rodrik exactly like Iike I would act in the GOT universe)

My Lee was just a human with human weaknesses trying to do the right thing. For example I tried to reanimate Larry but killed Danny without really worrying about Clem because of the rage. I stole the food from the car because basic common sense. I did everything I could to help Kenny when Duck was bitten, saved Ben but left Lilly on the road, etc.

Bigby was really the Big Bad Wolf. No patience for bullshit, tore the shit out of every Tweedle I could get my hands on, rekt the Pudding-N-Pie entirely, confiscated money every time I could. I was very tempted to take off Gren's arm as well but I managed to control myself and now I don't regret it... I spared Greenleaf's tree and Crooked because I was still trying to redeem myself and put Fabletown on good tracks.

Rhys is basically a less badass version of Starlord lol, Fiona is just being Fiona I kept her characterization intact.

• I played The Wolf Among Us again as "Scumbag Bigby" and I cried laughing. Being the Big Bad Wolf in that game really is fun. Anybody who hasn't seen "Scumbag Lee" on YouTube really ought to. It's the best fan video ever

_DIO_ posted: »

I never really played my character like full nice guys. I mostly try to adapt to the character's personality and temperament, then add my pe

• Yeah bursting in rage as Bigby was just too great, one of Telltale's best accomplishments.

Scumbag Lee breaks my heart a little but scumbag Clem gave me a very good laugh. I was basically scumbag Clem at the beginning of Season 2 because I disliked the whole new cast except for Pete, Alvin and Nick to a certains extent. And of course Kenny later on. Man Season 2 characters pissed me off so much all around...

TWAU21 posted: »

I played The Wolf Among Us again as "Scumbag Bigby" and I cried laughing. Being the Big Bad Wolf in that game really is fun. Anybody who hasn't seen "Scumbag Lee" on YouTube really ought to. It's the best fan video ever

• edited August 2015

Real life morals aside, I play all my characters to a way that fits the setting, so I'm either good or bad. I played Lee and Clementine like a survivor in a ZA so often times I was pretty ruthless. I played Bigby as a cop who needed to get to the bottom of what was going on without ruining an already corrupt town (Jim Gordan in Gotham, anyone?), and I play the Thrones protagonists how you should play them in Westeros; smartly.

• Interestingly, playing The Walking Dead Season 2 again recently made me realize how much of a dick Kenny can be at times. I ultimately sided with him at the end (Jane setting the whole thing up was a bit too much in my book to kill someone over, and I was suspicious of her based on the conversation she had prior to Kenny storming in). Replaying the season, however, I was very surprised at my Clementine going from peaceful to aggressive (while retaining her sympathy).

Real life morals aside, I play all my characters to a way that fits the setting, so I'm either good or bad. I played Lee and Clementine like

• Yes. Give in to your hatred. Kill them Whitehills. All of them. And remember, iron from ice.

• How I played the main characters in Telltale games always depended on my first emotional reaction towards situations. Like for example, in Walking Dead Season 1 episode 1, up until we got to the pharmacy, my Lee was a nice guy, but when I met Lily and Larry, that changed. I called Lily an asshole, told her to chill the fuck out, encouraged Kenny to kick Larry's ass. From there my lee would behave depended on my first initial reaction towards remarks from characters or the situation at hand. This is why I prefer Telltale's way of molding your main character than say Mass Effect's.

• , I was going to kill. Every last Whitehill I see.

And why would they let you do that? The Whitehills by all realistic means would win this war. Having the good guys kill every villainous just isn't the way of ASOIAF or GOT.

• All valid points. I would not be surprised if Asher/Rodrik dies immediately in the last episode.

Clemenem posted: »

, I was going to kill. Every last Whitehill I see. And why would they let you do that? The Whitehills by all realistic means would win this war. Having the good guys kill every villainous just isn't the way of ASOIAF or GOT.

• I fixed the formatting in your post to make it more readable. Just a heads up, with the current forum system you have to press enter twice - not once - for a new paragraph. It's weird, I know. :/

• Thank you! I was wondering why that was (I clicked enter once-lol).

I fixed the formatting in your post to make it more readable. Just a heads up, with the current forum system you have to press enter twice - not once - for a new paragraph. It's weird, I know.

• I love that cat =D

• Sigh. After every backwards piece if trash in the series, Tywin is pretty reasonable especially after what he's gone through

• edited August 2015

I try to be like you when playing games, however, I think I let Game of Thrones darken my thoughts when I played it. I rarely killed anyone in The Walking Dead game, except for the brothers.

I spared the Crooked Man, despite him trying to kill Bigby. I spared Dum. I didn't beat the Jersey Devil when it gave me the option to.

I didn't betray Vaughn, or make the deal with Jack.

Though in Game of Thrones, I found myself killing the other member who slaughtered Gared's family. I let Gryff push me around, and the moment I was allowed to beat him, I did. I kept going until Lady Forrester stopped me. The ONLY reason I didn't kill Duncan (Who betrayed me in my story,) was because he said he had info on Asher. I wanted to kill him though, so badly. Even after realizing Asher was in trouble, I let him die instead of Rodrik. No idea why, but I feel like that was the negative choice of it. And the Whitehills are dead. I want to kill them, and I know I will. (Except for Gwyn.)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.