19 Years

19 years ago, GRRM published the first book in one of the greatest fantasy series ever

enter image description here

So I figured to celebrate, we could talk about when we were first introduced to the A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones universe.

The game was actually my introduction in a sense. I picked up the books a couple of months before the game launched and when I finished the third one, I got all caught up with the show

Comments

• I was sitting down in my mountain house and was watching these weird medieval show. I was confused, there was a haphazard camp and stuff but a saw a red head and a guy with shaggy black hair go into this cave thing. Their clothes were off and yeah. My family was kind of around and so I changed it. It wasn't until years later I realized it was Game of Thrones. I assume it was Ygritte and Jon Snow in their grove thing.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited August 2015

I used to think it was a generic TV how before being told by @Welcome_to_Woodbury that it's actually a series of books by GRRM. It's the best story I've ever read.

Here's for another 19 years (and by that I mean I hope he decides to extend the series like he did with the 3 original books and not that it will take him 19 years to publish the remaining 2).

• Maybe by then George will be dead...

• Don't even say that ;-;

Maybe by then George will be dead...

• enter image description here

AWESOMEO posted: »

Don't even say that ;-;

• And so he ended up doing exactly what you didn't mean, what a darn.

AWESOMEO posted: »

I used to think it was a generic TV how before being told by @Welcome_to_Woodbury that it's actually a series of books by GRRM. It's the bes

• It was something like in 2008, my nerdy friend kept harassing me to read it. Of course I refused since I'm not too much in heavy fantasy read (Funny because I love medieval history...). Then the NHL playoffs came along like every year, and we made a bet on the Montreal-Philadelphia series. I ended up losing and I had to read AGOT. I wasn't too pleased at first but when I saw while reading that it involved politic, medieval warfare and some great characters, I just ate through it like a kebab. Then I picked up COK which was even better and so on.

Been a fan ever since.

• When I was 11 I saw the poster for the first season and desperately wanted to watch it since I saw Boromir on it. My parents wouldn't let me of course. For 3 years I kept wanting to watch the show (of course the only thing I knew about it was that the posters were cool and that Boromir was in it) until finally my dad decided to let me try the first book. It took me a day to fall in love with the story, and soon I had finished the book series.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.