GoT vs Life is Strange

Comments

• Explain why then :) Let me see your arguement for it ;)

LIS>TFTB>GOT

• Definitely GoT. I only play life is strange as a time filler between GoT episodes lol. I mean its good, but its not THAT good. I don't really find myself invested in the characters as much as i am with GoT.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited August 2015

Excuse me, but he said "GoT", not "Telltale's GoT", so if he would make it clear, then I would stop comparing it to the other medias. Either way, the game is still much better. So sure, let's compare Telltale's GoT to LiS.

From your earlier posts it looks like you've played all the episodes but haven't noticed the changes they've made and continue to make in the writing/ voice acting. Everyone can agree that some of the dialogue in the first couple episodes of Life isn't so great but they have toned it down and fixed it in several ways. And I don't get what's wrong with the voice acting, it's been pretty spot on from situation to situation as far as I can tell.

I've indeed played all 4 episodes, and laughed through every minute. Don't get me wrong, I know the choices matter, unlike Telltale, but it doesn't make the writing any less shittier. And the choices still don't change the entire storyline, only some plot parts. To me, if the writing is shit and makes me mock the game rather than be invested in its' story, the fact that the game is more interactive doesn't change a thing. I don't see what's good with the voice acting, it fits the characters, but I see it as very stereotypical (the popular girls sound crazily bitchy, the janitor sounds like a total perv, the manager sounds full of himself. David sounds like some fucking redneck and every time I hear Chloe speak I want to either blow her brains out or mine) and very non-convincing. The only one that is OK for me is Mr. Jefferson's.

In no way can you fully foresee the outcome of any given choice it merely gives you a peek.

This "peek" has helped me through many choices, the reactions around me and Max's obvious hints she gives after making each choice indicates where it would go, as well as the behavior of the likes of Chloe and their reactions to your choice. It's much easier to predict what would happen, and it's still stupid to make someone able to retract their choice in a game where your choices make your story.

Also have to disagree highly with your belief that this game was built mainly for 'teenage girls', anyone can get into this game regardless of gender.

It is pretty much built mainly for girls, look at the fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a survey and the women vs men player rate was much higher than other video games. This game is built for teenagers, it's built for people who want to relate, and it's written in a way that young people could relate to it better. But most of all it is written in a way that girls can relate to better; rape, body-image, bitchy girls laughing about your outfit, your friend being seemingly perverted and harassed by the school and the janitor because of an embarrassing video of her making out with some random guys while drunk; all of these issues are mainly teenage girl issues - while there are men who are raped and have body image problems, this is still clearly made for women to relate to. Besides, I find myself relating to a male protagonist much easier to relate to than a teenage girl protagonist, but maybe it's just me. Maybe not. The sexes have their differences, that's undeniable, and girls would relate easier to Max than boys would as a result.

Tell me, what game series has come out of TellTale that wasn't based on an existing property? DontNod has made their first ever episodic game series that wasn't based off something as strong as the book series from Martin or The Walking Dead for example.

So because it's their "first" game where the writers actually tried (which is funny because they already made Remember Me) that dismisses it from criticism? So it's suddenly not shit because it's not based off of a book series and I should appreciate their hard work more? The OP said to compare the two, so why are you implying that they're incomparable? Of course they aren't, but the OP still wanted to do it, so here I am, saying how it's stupid to compare them. Despite it being compared to GoT, it is still shitty in my book, even for a first game. It's nothing to me, it's hollow and empty of real, thought-provoking story.

Okay, first off I think it's clear that the topic was whether you liked TellTale's GoT better than Life, so please stop including the whole

• All of you trying to prove that life is strange is trash......

meanwhile in the last few months half of TTG fans whining how TTG lack of hubs and short episodes and no character develpoment and how TTG handle Determinant characters.....
    K

AWESOMEO posted: »

MRW I read this comment: enter link description here

• meanwhile in the last few months half of TTG fans whining how TTG lack of hubs and short episodes and no character develpoment and how TTG handle Determinant characters..... K

I think you just copied and pasted that from an old TWD S2 thread, reminder, we're talking about GoT here

All of you trying to prove that life is strange is trash...... meanwhile in the last few months half of TTG fans whining how TTG lack of hubs and short episodes and no character develpoment and how TTG handle Determinant characters..... K

• oh yeah right..... what about the whining how meaningless the choices are.... the stupid writing in episode 5

and how episode 5 is like a filler ;) OKAY enter image description here

Green613 posted: »

meanwhile in the last few months half of TTG fans whining how TTG lack of hubs and short episodes and no character develpoment and how TTG h

• Opinion.

And terrible use of gif. (IMO ofc)

oh yeah right..... what about the whining how meaningless the choices are.... the stupid writing in episode 5 and how episode 5 is like a filler OKAY

• What do you want me to use???? a weird rhysha fanart????

Opinion. And terrible use of gif. (IMO ofc)

• And why would I want that?

What do you want me to use???? a weird rhysha fanart????

• Because you're weird.

And why would I want that?

• I see, so... "nobody's perfect"? Despite it being a rather superficial lesson to learn imo, not once has it occurred to me from playing this game.

No. It's that life is about bad decisions/ mistakes and we should acknowledge ourselves that we are imperfect and we do make mistakes. In

• Ok

Because you're weird.

• K, please go away with your rhysha or whatsoever.

Ok

• Can you actually, fully explain why you prefer LIS to the GoT and Tales? Because you seem to just be insulting telltale and the more passionate fans :D

Because you're weird.

• Can you please go away? Like ever since you got to this forum all I see is whiny hate from you, I seriously doubt you're even a Telltale fan with all of your posts.

K, please go away with your rhysha or whatsoever.

• Just stop ..
    Stop posting _______vs.________ threads . It's lame .Always has been .

• everything on life is strange is better than TFTB and GOT
    the story and characters and every FUCKING thing,

you really seems you care about what i think.....

kaza125 posted: »

Can you actually, fully explain why you prefer LIS to the GoT and Tales? Because you seem to just be insulting telltale and the more passionate fans

• EuthanizeChloe2k15

oh yeah right..... what about the whining how meaningless the choices are.... the stupid writing in episode 5 and how episode 5 is like a filler OKAY

• like..... do i really need an authorization from you to be a telltale fan???

Can you please go away? Like ever since you got to this forum all I see is whiny hate from you, I seriously doubt you're even a Telltale fan with all of your posts.

• No, but that isn't going to stop me from calling you out on how whiny you are in most of your posts.

like..... do i really need an authorization from you to be a telltale fan???

• me????? hahahaha.....

since the release of LIS all of TTG forum is hate on life is strange???? really?????

No, but that isn't going to stop me from calling you out on how whiny you are in most of your posts.

• Show me where I hated on Life is Strange, please.

It seems since LiS came out most fans of that game just like to compare it to Telltales games.

AND YES, YOU

me????? hahahaha..... since the release of LIS all of TTG forum is hate on life is strange???? really?????

• it's not you, everytime i enter the forum i see "TFTB VS LIS" and all of the comments is hate on LIS....

well, ok now i'm the one to blame.

Show me where I hated on Life is Strange, please. It seems since LiS came out most fans of that game just like to compare it to Telltales games. AND YES, YOU

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited August 2015

All of us? It seems to me that LiS tends to win most of the users here, it's split almost evenly actually.

All of you trying to prove that life is strange is trash...... meanwhile in the last few months half of TTG fans whining how TTG lack of hubs and short episodes and no character develpoment and how TTG handle Determinant characters..... K

• Well, you're not going into enough detail, I just want to see why someone else prefers LIS to Tales and GOT. You should post a thread, or maybe just a long comment with a full arguement of why you think it's better, rather than just saying it's better, cause anyone can do that and no one will take you seriously :D

everything on life is strange is better than TFTB and GOT the story and characters and every FUCKING thing, you really seems you care about what i think.....

• i Don't give a shit who wins, everytime i express my opinion, everyone attacked me like they're going crazy.

All of us? It seems to me that LiS tends to win most of the users here, it's split almost evenly actually.

• Never said they'd be serious, but it does have one thing that it affects

Do you think that watering the plant will have SERIOUS consequences? Nah.

• Well I'd figure most people could use their common sense to figure out he meant TellTale's series, last I checked, Game of Thrones was just the first book in the series and the series itself is, A Song of Ice and Fire and the show is called Game of Thrones. But anyway...

Your choices don't change the main storyline? How about Kate, pretty sure that has some big differences, including whether or not you get another scene with her or not. And you were able to know the voices and personalities of all the characters just by looking at them? Wow, if you have that kind of foresight you outta play the lotto. Simply sounds like you don't like the game period which is fine but don't pretend like you knew the direction each character was going to go with your 1st meeting with them. Just because you don't like the game doesn't mean the voice acting or writing is bad.

That's the point, for you to get a hint as to what may or may not happen, some are obvious sure, but all of them? I don't think so. And again no, the option to rewind is just that, an option. You can either use it or not to go back on your choices, I personally have never used it when making a big decision, but it's there to use or not to. You are still perfectly able to make a meaningful choice because you don't know what the final outcome will be.

So by your thinking... TWD S2 was a game made for eleven year old girls? Anyone who has gone through middle/high school can relate to this game, not just teenage girls. You do realize that, rape, body image and all that other stuff you listed can also be applicable to males too? While it may be easier for women to relate, the whole game is not built around solely getting the female populace of gaming onboard. And yes that is just you if you can't relate to a female character, I'm a 24 year old guy and I'm much more involved with this story/characters than I have been in 90% of my gaming life which has had a majority of male protagonists. Just because you can't get into the characters head doesn't give you the ability to say it's bad because of that.

I never said they are immune to criticism, I'll happily agree and have that the writing was groan worthy in the first couple episodes (and we're talking about Life here not a whole other game they did years ago), my point is how they are not relying on any preexisting material which you seem to have forgotten. And I also never said they are incomparable, now you're just pulling stuff right out of the air amigo, I was just making it clear how for their first try at this, DontNod did not have to attach themselves to anything unlike TellTale where everything they have been associated with has some weight to it.

You're obviously fine to have your opinion and all, but you seem to be playing this game for all the wrong reasons now, you only get joy from actively mocking the game as you play it as you said because you're unable to get in-tune with the characters. To each their own but why play the game at all if you're not enjoying it? Trying to justify your disdain for the game because you can't relate and just saying "I can't enjoy this since I'm not a teenage girl" is BS. Just play something else.

Excuse me, but he said "GoT", not "Telltale's GoT", so if he would make it clear, then I would stop comparing it to the other medias. Either

• Well, posting on the game of thrones section and calling the game trash isn't the best way to express your opinion. Do I have to mention the picture of chloe flipping off too?

i Don't give a shit who wins, everytime i express my opinion, everyone attacked me like they're going crazy.

• life is strange is better to me i sitll love GoT but LiS is just better for me

• edited August 2015

I was tempted earlier to create a thread about choices in Life is Strange and games in general, though sure, it would have been prompted by all of the criticism aimed at Telltale. I didn't for various reasons, like it causing arguments and I know I'm fed up of the choice arguments myself. Anyway, to touch on the choices mattering in Life is Strange, I was rather surprised to find this flowchart for a certain conversation in episode 4, which obviously contains spoilers:

http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Life-Is-Strange-Frank-flowchart.jpg

I still stand by what I've said before though. It's the same as with Telltale's stuff, but the illusion is handled better and with more changes, with the story still moving forward in the same overall direction for each player.

But yeah . . . they really do deserve a lot of praise for the work they put into that scene. I say that as someone dabbling in interactive fiction and not as someone who enjoys Life is Strange (though I do). Though I think in terms of the overall experience, Telltale's stuff is better. Lip synching is not as good and the facial animations, I think. The wandering and puzzle elements hinder the pacing for me as well, but that's a personal preference.

So, I don't think anyone can say the choices don't really matter in Life is Strange. Yes, they don't change the plot, but if they really did change the overall plot, imagine how much bigger and complicated that flow chart would be. It's really the most people should expect in games/stories, because a main plot still needs to be followed for coherency's sake (and production costs/time).

Well I'd figure most people could use their common sense to figure out he meant TellTale's series, last I checked, Game of Thrones was just

• it's not the first time they attacked me before.

Tolispro posted: »

Well, posting on the game of thrones section and calling the game trash isn't the best way to express your opinion. Do I have to mention the picture of chloe flipping off too?

• Kaza and everybody else, reasoning with I want Bonnie alive is not really worth the energy, so please, whenever he posts something insulting or over the top, avoid replying to him, it would just instigate him to cause more trouble.

kaza125 posted: »

Well, you're not going into enough detail, I just want to see why someone else prefers LIS to Tales and GOT. You should post a thread, or ma

• Good find on that flow chart, I remember going down several different avenues in that conversation and getting one new outcome or another an thought it was crazy. But you're right, when it really comes down to it, it's that illusion of choice that really helps to say whether or not a choice matters. With TellTale's games lately, the obviousness that choices A-E doesn't matter has really been aggravating and that sucks cause I'm trying to enjoy the story but when the model is bleeding through... ugh.

Hopefully at the very least we'll get that perfected lip-syncing episodic game from either developer down the road lol

Rob_K posted: »

I was tempted earlier to create a thread about choices in Life is Strange and games in general, though sure, it would have been prompted by

• As I already said, instead of doing this much fuss, there is the LIS forum, or, if you really love sticking by here, there is a LIS thread in the miscellaneous section full of fans of LIS where you can talk about that game without displeasing anybody.

everything on life is strange is better than TFTB and GOT the story and characters and every FUCKING thing, you really seems you care about what i think.....

• Nice seeing you again.

As I already said, instead of doing this much fuss, there is the LIS forum, or, if you really love sticking by here, there is a LIS thread i

• So attacking you = disagreeing with your opinion?

I thought the thread was meant for this debate.

i Don't give a shit who wins, everytime i express my opinion, everyone attacked me like they're going crazy.

• I think it really depends on the type of atmosphere and the world the consumer prefers. While Life is Strange is based around high school teenage girls, I don't find myself drawn to that type of tone. Of course there are plenty of people who are, I'm just not one of them. My personal favorite is the Wolf Among Us, I just liked that setting and that world more, and I felt more drawn into Bigby's character then other protagonists.

• edited August 2015

Okay since this whole thread is going to be a complete shitstorm between these two companies i REALLY want a defentive answer to this:IF by the end of the year everyone will say that Life is Strange is the best episodic game ever made and nomitated as an award (and by that i mean it beats TWS S1 and anything that Telltale did) and then all of a sudden Telltale will be lke "Well since most people dont care about our games anymore we might just cancel TWD S3 (or at least every game ) because we cant do better than this game, would everyone completely filp out ?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.