the forresters aren't smart

i mean, the forreters know about an ambush, go to stop the ambush and still get ambushed, WTF!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• I'm pretty sure that Wyman Manderly and Roose Bolton are the only smart Northerners.

• So they are dumb because they failed to stop an ambush they had just learned about?

• edited August 2015

I thought it was because they could of used a sword to keep the gate opener open (Use wedge, Asher!)

But they learned about it like five minutes before Asher was ambushed. I mean, it's not like the Whitehills would be there every day, besides they tried getting out, kiddo.

• I'm just trying to figure out what happened to Beast. Did he disappear?

• Beast was 99% blood, so when a spear hit him, he popped like a balloon.

ShaneGrimes posted: »

I'm just trying to figure out what happened to Beast. Did he disappear?

• Thanks for clearing that up for me

RhysAndLee posted: »

Beast was 99% blood, so when a spear hit him, he popped like a balloon.

• How many negatives threads are you going to make?

• Yes. Information is useless if you don't use it when it matters.

Plus the ride to the port took time, Ironrath isn't on the coast. They had time to get ready.

So they are dumb because they failed to stop an ambush they had just learned about?

• Ironrath isn't on the coast, the ride to the port took some time. Time that should have been used to make sure they were prepared.

RhysAndLee posted: »

I thought it was because they could of used a sword to keep the gate opener open (Use wedge, Asher!) But they learned about it like five

• That ambush was completely unavoidable, I don't know what you expected them to do.

• Literally anything. Have Asher and Rodrik leave first. Keep them surrounded by their soldiers. Guard the gate. Anything. They were told that Asher was in danger beforehand, even if the traitor is killed he still mentions that Asher is in danger. They should have been wary, they were told there was danger and brought their soldiers only to do nothing with them.

AgentZ46 posted: »

That ambush was completely unavoidable, I don't know what you expected them to do.

• Replaying the episode again, I think that they assume that Asher and Rodrik will be ambushed outside the city rather than inside.

Literally anything. Have Asher and Rodrik leave first. Keep them surrounded by their soldiers. Guard the gate. Anything. They were told that

• That and the pitt fighters are fucking useless sissys. We wasted all the time proving to a bunch of jobbers we were worth fighting for all for them to fail to defend us.

• Ramsay's pretty crafty and acts well under pressure as well

I'm pretty sure that Wyman Manderly and Roose Bolton are the only smart Northerners.

• Show Ramsay's pretty crafty. Book Ramsay has his bright moments on occasion, although even with just bright moments here and there he's still smarter than most Northerners

Clemenem posted: »

Ramsay's pretty crafty and acts well under pressure as well

• Right? Beskha was like "one pit fighter is worth ten sellswords." But we see the pitfighters struggling in one on one fights against the Whitehill smallfolk soldiers.

Clemenem posted: »

That and the pitt fighters are fucking useless sissys. We wasted all the time proving to a bunch of jobbers we were worth fighting for all for them to fail to defend us.

• Yeah true.

Ironrath isn't on the coast, the ride to the port took some time. Time that should have been used to make sure they were prepared.

• To be fair, the pit fighters were being shot at with bows and arrows while not having any shields. Plus they were outnumbered. So much for having more than a handful of pit fighters. Don't know what Malcolm was referring to when he congratulated Asher on getting that army.

Right? Beskha was like "one pit fighter is worth ten sellswords." But we see the pitfighters struggling in one on one fights against the Whitehill smallfolk soldiers.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Don't know what Malcolm was referring to when he congratulated Asher on getting that army.

He was just being nice

It's like when your parents put that really terrible drawing you did up on the fridge because they don't want to hurt your feelings by telling you that you did a horrible job

ShampaFK posted: »

To be fair, the pit fighters were being shot at with bows and arrows while not having any shields. Plus they were outnumbered. So much for h

• They didn't know where the ambush would take place. The point of Rodrik meeting with Asher was to help him fight. The ambush was still gonna happen regardless.
    It's easy to say what they "could have" done to avoid getting ambushed in the city since you already know what happens, but fact is both brothers weren't meant to live (says the writers). Period.

Literally anything. Have Asher and Rodrik leave first. Keep them surrounded by their soldiers. Guard the gate. Anything. They were told that

• edited August 2015

A walled off town is the perfect place for an ambush. Especially when the person being ambushed is just arriving in port from another continent. It doesn't take a military genius to figure that out.

but fact is both brothers weren't meant to live (according the writers.) Period.

When the main reason to justify something is just "because plot" you have some bad writers.

almighty posted: »

They didn't know where the ambush would take place. The point of Rodrik meeting with Asher was to help him fight. The ambush was still gonna

• The pit fighters fighting the Whitehills one on one shouldn't have been effected anymore than the Whitehills they were fighting. Plus, I don't think anyone in this game has used a shield. Other than Gared for a few seconds and the Whitehills (but all they did was use them to cause a ruckus)

To be fair, the pit fighters were being shot at with bows and arrows while not having any shields. Plus they were outnumbered. So much for h

• But the archers weren't aiming for the Whitehills. I don't know why the pit fighters weren't more effective against the Whitehills in one-on-one fighting either...

The pit fighters fighting the Whitehills one on one shouldn't have been effected anymore than the Whitehills they were fighting. Plus, I don

• I understand why the pitfighters didn't do much all together (crossbowmen) but the ones that were fighting one on one weren't in danger because the crossbowmen wouldn't be shooting at them on account of the Whitehill next to them.

But the archers weren't aiming for the Whitehills. I don't know why the pit fighters weren't more effective against the Whitehills in one-on-one fighting either...

• I also thought it was cheap that they would get rid of the Beast so neatly and easily. I mean, that guy was huge and should have been good in a fight but we might never know because those wounds look pretty severe. The arrows maybe not so much (just pierced a layer of fat or whatever) but that spear looked wicked.

I understand why the pitfighters didn't do much all together (crossbowmen) but the ones that were fighting one on one weren't in danger because the crossbowmen wouldn't be shooting at them on account of the Whitehill next to them.

• A walled off town is the perfect place for an ambush. Especially when the person being ambushed is just arriving in port from another continent. It doesn't take a military genius to figure that out.

You'll get no argument from me. Tell that to the fictional Forresters. This has no relevancy to my post whatsoever. Perhaps you had trouble comprehending what you read.

"The point of Rodrik meeting with Asher was to help him fight. The ambush was still gonna happen regardless." You can argue proper ambush protocol all day long, but the fact remains that they didn't know some whitehill would appear and damage the gate which ultimately separated them.

When the main reason to justify something is just "because plot" you have some bad writers.

Considering that the elements of what makes a story revolves around the plot, how about no.

Bad writing is subjective. Nothing needs to be justified here, except maybe to you.

A walled off town is the perfect place for an ambush. Especially when the person being ambushed is just arriving in port from another contin

• They didn't know that the gate was going to be damaged, yes. BUT they could have kept watch for Whitehills. The Forresters had quite a bit of soldiers but Asher was the only one that saw one (a Whitehill soldier just walked by all of the Forrester soldiers in uniform) and thought "wait, what?" They should have kept guards by the gate (for all they knew the Whitehills could have just intended to trap Asher in the town). That ambush was going to happen either way, but it didn't need to be the clusterfuck that the Forresters allowed it to be. They showed up to help him fight but they all made a point of leaving Asher and Rodrik alone in an ideal location for an ambush just after being warned of an ambush.

Traitor: "Asher is in danger, there's going to be an ambush"

Rodrik and Co.: "Ermagersh, an ambush! What a surprise! If only we knew about an attack beforehand!"

That's blatantly bad writing.

A walled off town is the perfect place for an ambush. Especially when the person being ambushed is just arriving in port from another contin

• "Trouble comprehending what I read"

No. I know what I read and it was blatantly wrong. It's pointless to bring an army to help someone with an ambush if you and that army are completely unprepared for an ambush. Rodrik has military training (not particularly advanced by today's standard, but more than Gryff or Harys would have) and should know what an ideal ambush site would be. He knew it was intended for Asher and that Asher had no knowledge of it. The town is an ideal ambush spot, but like all ambush sites it only gets maximum effect with the element of surprise which the Whitehills should not have had but they did "because plot."

• edited August 2015

Here is what I do not get at all. So you know there is an ambush that will happen to Asher, therefore you rush with your ''tiny army'' to help him. You know the banners/colors of the Whitehills because they are your sworn enemies and yet somehow only Asher realizes something is not right , the guy that has been away from Westeros for a while. Is Rodrick blind or something? Nr 2 issue: The Whitehills are ambushing from the side through which Asher was coming as well as soldiers jumping off the walls where the Forresters' army was camping. Are you kidding me?They have an army sitting there and they did not even bother to check the walls?I doubt they were jumping off a plane with parachutes and somehow ambushed the Forresters. Another big issue was Asher's army. He had a massive chest filled with gold and all he could afford was 6 puny fighters? 6? Are you kidding me? By roman standards, the lowest rank was a Contubernium which consists of 8 men, and Asher does not even have that. The bad writing in this episode along with the inconsistencies is ridiculous

edit: Oh not to mention the random guy that stood in Rodrick's way just wondering around like it was nothing. Is Rodrick's army completely oblivious or what?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.