Something Lord Whitehill said in episode 1 caught my notice.

Duncan:"You Squandered your share"
Ludd:"Our share was TAKEN from us we had no fuckin choice but to harvest what was left."

Who stole the ironwood from Ludd, There are plenty of ways to phrase things without actually admitting you fucked up. He didn't say "YOU took it" or even the most eloquently worded excuse that they fucked up and overharvested ruining the lands. Taken seems to indicate at some points the whitehills may have been legitimate victims.

Comments

• No, I think what happened was the Whitehills poorly cultivated their forests, and were careless in what they cut down. As is constantly mentioned throughout the game, the Whitehills are terrible at Ironwood cultivation and craftsmanship. Hence Duncan telling them, they "squandered" their share. But of course, due to Ludd Whitehill's arrogance and pure disdain for the Forresters, he twisted that to claim it was "taken" from him, and tried to unconditionally put some fault of that onto the Forresters.

If the Forresters ever had truly stolen land off the Whitehills, Ludd would have definitely brought that up by now. And not just in a odd, ambiguous off-hand comment kind of way.

• I seem to remember Ortengryn saying something about Gregor's father taking back some river valley from the Whitehills, but it hasn't been brought up since. I'm amazed Ludd hasn't bitched at us about that yet.

DillonDex posted: »

No, I think what happened was the Whitehills poorly cultivated their forests, and were careless in what they cut down. As is constantly ment

• But "taking back" implies it was the Forresters who owned it to begin with, which implies the Whitehills are the one's who actually stole it.

The concept of the Forresters being to blame for this ancient rivalry is interesting, but ultimately, there's no real evidence that implies or establishes that is the case... in any way shape or form.

lilithnight posted: »

I seem to remember Ortengryn saying something about Gregor's father taking back some river valley from the Whitehills, but it hasn't been brought up since. I'm amazed Ludd hasn't bitched at us about that yet.

• I wouldnt jump immediately to forresters could have been the Starks or Targaryens demanded more of the Whitehill's share because of political reasons and the whitehills were indeed "forced ot harvest" the rest.

Or maybe there was just a really powerful forest fire strong enough to burn ironwood?

But "taking back" implies it was the Forresters who owned it to begin with, which implies the Whitehills are the one's who actually stole it

• edited September 2015

You know the Whitehills, what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is theirs...

What I want to know is if the Forresters and the Whitehills hate one another so much, why does it seem like they've all known each other all their lives and where would Asher and Gwyn find opportunities to spend sufficient time together to realise they liked each other. I don't usually spend time with people I don't like.

But "taking back" implies it was the Forresters who owned it to begin with, which implies the Whitehills are the one's who actually stole it

• Cotter stole it.

• I wouldn't put it past Lord Whitehill to fabricate some sort of sob story to exempt his house from responsibility. Like DillonDex said, they were purportedly terrible at growing and securing Ironwood, so the most likely possibility is that they just tried and tried until their forests completely depleted.

• Lol that should be a meme. Cotter stealing everything that isn't nailed down. "Why isn't a new episode out yet?" "Cotter stole it"

Omid's cat posted: »

Cotter stole it.

• enter image description here

I hope that's good enough :3

Omid's cat posted: »

Cotter stole it.

• Damn It Cotter

Wolfenus54 posted: »

I hope that's good enough

• I noticed Gwynn said we used to be close. I also noticed something Asher said [but i have enough threads] "It's been a while since i've killed some whitehills." implying at some point Asher did kill whitehills possibly for reasons similar to why Finn was at the wall.

I wouldn't put it past Lord Whitehill to fabricate some sort of sob story to exempt his house from responsibility. Like DillonDex said, they

Sign in to comment in this discussion.